Should Chris Jericho have been WCW Champion?

Hell no. He was a pretty good jobber in the attitude-era WWF/WWE. In WCW he was nothing IMO. Even if he jobbed in WCW nobody would give a crap.

Listen I think he has a great wrestling mind but the dude should've been a writer or a booker. Not a wrestler. Just look at him.

What? How could that big of a leap even be made? Jericho was nowhere near the World title during his tenure in WCW and frankly, he was nowhere near ready for that big of a role anyway. When he left WCW, there were still guys like Sting, Savage, Nash, DDP, Hogan, Flair, Hart, etc. That were FAR better options than a guy who was never known for much other than being a cruiserweight.

Anyone who says that he should have been WCW Champion is ******ed. Unless you count the fact that he was WCW Champion once or twice after Vince bought em out.

He wasn't over his first few years in WCW. He didn't get over until his heel turn around January 1998 & even then he only got over as a midcard cruserweight comedy act.

By November 1998 he thought he deserved a PPV match with a real heavyweight supertar in Goldberg but Goldberg refused because he "didn't do comedy".

Jericho's contract was expiring around this time & becuase he didn't wrestle Goldberg on PPV he refused to sign a big money contract therefore WCW didn't push him from then on...why push someone who is clearly going to the competition?

WCW already had Hogan, Savage, Flair, Piper, Nash, Hall, Sting, Luger, Goldberg, Bigelow, Bret Hart...& up & comers like Scott Steiner, Booker T, Raven, Benoit etc. who were above Jericho in pecking order not to mention more qualified then Jericho at that particular point in time.

WWE didn't deem him ready until December 2001...& his Title reign was a flop.

I think it could have happened, but never would have (unless Jericho had stayed until Russo & Ferrara arrived, but by then he had already jumped to the WWF). Jericho was one of the most over heels the Cruiserweight Division had in WCW. His feuds with Malenko and Juvi were HUGE for the Cruiserweight Division, and it can be argued that Jericho was one of the guys who could have at least broken into the US Title hunt at that time.

I preferred Nitro to Raw is War from '97 to '99, and I first became a Jerichoholic while he was still with WCW. It seemed that Jericho held a WCW Title (either the Cruiserweight or the TV Title) for a long time over those years. People loved to boo Jericho at that time (his whole "Conspiracy Victim" and "Man of 1,002 Holds" stuff was priceless), and he could have been moved up the card if it was done correctly. Unfortunately, the guys at the top of the WCW card (Nash, Sting, Luger, Hogan, Macho Man, DDP etc) didn't even think there was room for Goldberg - let alone someone like Jericho. As it's been said many times before, these guys were desperate to cling to their main event spots, and didn't want anyone to steal the spotlight from them. Luckily Goldberg was able to break into the main event scene, but he was the only one that made it (prior to the Russo era). Hell, Bret Hart wasn't even able to win the WCW Title until Russo arrived.

Does anyone remember Jericho's feud with Goldberg in WCW? That was one of my favorites. I can't remember if they actually had a "real" match or not, but I remember thinking that a Jericho/Goldberg feud (even though I knew Goldberg would destroy Jericho in a "real" match) could be the beginning of Jericho making it to that "next level". Unfortunately, the Jericho/Goldberg feud fizzled out without much fanfare...but it would have been awesome to see Jericho get Goldberg in the Liontamer at one point or another.

Obviously Jericho later proved (in the WWF) that he was Main Event level talent, so it's possible that it could have happened in WCW as well. The problem was the booking, along with the veterans who wouldn't move out of the way for younger guys to flourish. If Jericho had been given a "real" shot in WCW in the late 1990s, it's possible he would have stayed. In the end, I think he made the right decision when he left the company for the WWF.

No, he wasnt over till around the months WCW was fading and then eventually sold to WWE. It would of made no since because he was just in the cruiser weight division a little before that. Overall it didnt seem like it would fit considering the other superstars at the time and the main storylines they were trying to do.

Hell no. He was a pretty good jobber in the attitude-era WWF/WWE. In WCW he was nothing IMO. Even if he jobbed in WCW nobody would give a crap.

Listen I think he has a great wrestling mind but the dude should've been a writer or a booker. Not a wrestler. Just look at him.

You sound like Zbyszko with the ridiculous things you're saying.

How was Jericho a jobber in WWF? Feuded with HHH and the Rock while holding the IC title multiple times. And yes he was jobbed out in WCW but still had a fanbase before he debuted in WWF, on topic though there's no way Jericho would've been WCW champion, it just wouldn't have worked with the way that company was run.

I agree with the consensus that Jericho is very talented and has done some good work, but he was never above the midcard in WCW. During his WCW tenure if you werent in the NWO or considered a major opponent of the group you didnt get pushed (Eddie Guerrero). Jericho did display a comedic bent and creativity in his promos but WCW booking kept him in the Cruiserweight Division and away from major stars, unless he was getting beaten up by Goldberg or tapping out to Flair on Thunder. He was woefully underutilized. That said, there was never a time in his WCW tenure that he was established enough with fans to be World Champion.

Maybe if he would have stayed through Russo's 2nd run in 2000-end, when guys like Booker T were getting the belt, he would have been a viable option. He was right to jump when he did, the long term impact on his career was enhanced by going to WWE when he did.

If Chris Jericho had've been properly built and used, he could've become WCW Champion. That's the problem though: WCW didn't know how to use and maintain stars by the time Jericho really caught on. He had a single moment of brilliance with Goldberg and WCW ignored it, thus damning Jericho to be limited to a comedic cruiserweight role. If WCW had chosen to make Jericho a serious contender and major on-air character, he would've caught on. People were already behind his insanely funny Ralphus storyline and the 1004 holds promos. Not to mention his conspiracy victim promos. Jericho definetely had alot of untapped potential but WCW preferred to keep the same vets on top and remained content to keep bringing back different versions of the nWo.

Simply put, WCW had a window of opportunity to start using younger talents and using them to bring up the next generation of stars. They missed that opportunity to start making new stars and Jericho was sadly one of those casualties.

No, not at the time. Yes Jericho could have been if he stayed at WCW, but at the time there were bigger names Hogan, goldberg, Sting etc. in an already clustered to fuck main event scene. I see him being in a Jeff Jarrett type position when Russo came in if he stayed, but he did the smart thing and left as he's said the company was in a bad state in numerous interviews. Now he's made a much better career and legacy for himself in WWE.

No No No No. In my opinion Jericho was at his most entertaining in 99-2001 but even then he could not out-draw the NWO, Sting, DDP, Flair, Goldburg. I dont think in his entire career, Jericho would have been a bigger draw than the NWO top guys.

How would WCW Jericho have compared to the competition of Austin, Rock, Taker, Foley, DX, and Vince McMahon? This makes no sense.

No. Jericho should never eevvver have gotten near the title picture in his WCW tenure. Don't get me wrong because WCW Jericho was likely my favourite version of Jericho that we have seen (including Y2J). I think in WCW he was slowly coming into his own, but was coming across as more of a comedic character than anything else (Ralphus anybody). Hey, in the Nitro days I probably would have loved to have seen Jericho as champ, because he was always what made Nitro for me, but, in hindsight I do have to say he was definately not ready for the title and there were many other wrestlers that I would have put the strap around. Also , out of the cruiserweight division back in that day only 2 IMO could have been champ (Malenko and Mysterio).

The way WCW was during the last few years of WCW, Jericho really didn't have a chance to make it to the top of then roster. Did he ever challenge for the U.S title? On the flip Side though, if they can give the title to Jeff Jarrett in 2000 then I believe Jericho could've been the HW champ.

No.

WCW management was notorious for not making new stars and relying on the guys who were already stars to carry the load. Now, if WCW would have made a few of their own stars and given young guys a chance back then, I'd say Jericho would have and should have been one of the first guys to get the chance to get to that next level. But I could sit here all day and write about how/why Jericho didnt hold the wcw title.

You have to bear in mind, what was "midcard" in WCW was in fact anything not NWO, as in a viable alternative. The problem guys like Y2J faced was that nothing other than the NWO or Goldberg was getting to the main event in that period. Regardless of talent, by not being NWO, Jericho was "the unwashed".

Now... he did have a shot at it, and Goldberg (in classic "let's listen to Hogan mode") refused to extend the angle into what arguably would have kicked both to their best feud. Goldberg needed that Jericho feud as much as Jericho did in WCW. Why?

Goldberg was as one dimensional as it got, nothing new, fresh, exciting or even watchable past a certain point. Jericho was offering something unique, a lone opponent, not just about brawn or a posse but a guy who could have beaten Goldberg using his head or at least made enough viewers THINK he could...and he was a genuine fan...so ultimately losing would not have been a problem, he was about the show.

Goldberg made the same classic mistake Hogan made with Rick Rude... spurned a smaller opponent as "unrealistic" rather than "a different challenge". So yes, had Goldberg been smarter/better advised/overruled then Jericho COULD have been a legit WCW main eventer. Goldberg came into WWE, attitude amped to 11 and ironically what ended him in the eyes of the boys? He thought he could "pick on" the guy he refused back then... and got punked out... Why would any other guy take him seriously after Jericho owned him backstage?

No, not at that time. He was just getting over when he turned heel, and even then he was nowhere near the World Title. I am a huge Chris Jericho fan, and I was even back then, but it is a huge leap to ask if he should have held the WCW World title. WCW was stacked with main eventers that would be trusted to have the title before they would give it to Jericho. Just wanted to add that i am not sure where that guy was coming from that said Jericho was a good jobber in WWE. Must not have payed much attention to what you were watching.

LOL no.

They got in a real fight in the locker room in 2003 and all wrestler witnesses reported that Jericho pretty much destroyed Goldberg, choking him out while Goldberg could do nothing about it.

Dude....do you know what quotation marks around the world "real" mean? Goldberg & Jericho never had a "real" match in a WCW ring (on television), as far as I remember. Goldberg just beat Jericho up on TV a few times, and Jericho pinned a Goldberg lookalike ("Greenberg"?) on PPV. If WCW ever booked a "real" (let me be as blunt as possible so everyone can understand: "real", in this context - with quotation marks, means "fake" and/or "predetermined") match between the two back then, Goldberg would have squashed Jericho in less than two minutes. Goldberg beat everyone on the WCW roster (minus main eventers) in three minutes or less during his winning streak. Why would WCW have made a Goldberg/Jericho match any different back then?

Jericho is a graduate of Stu Hart's Dungeon, and Goldberg is not. Although I never heard that Jericho handed Goldberg his ass in 2003, it doesn't surprise me if that really happened. Especially if Jericho got him in a submission hold.

In the future, learn to read subtext instead of jumping to conclusions and acting like a smartass.

no and this is not an insult to Jericho, it's just that at the time he wasnt ready. it took some time for him to be a Main Event Champion in WWE if you think about it.

NOW, WCW should've had him pushed vs. some main event guys, but not beat them, if Golberg refused, they should've then used someone else.

what i DO think WCW missed on was other guys pushed for the WCW World title and then other guys pushed to the United States Title. For example, Bret Hart as US Champ, just didnt feel right. should've been in the Main Event quicker and same with Sting. Jericho should've won the US title before he had issues with WCW as he could've helped that title with his mic work, but WCW title, he wasnt ready for it at the time.

If Chris Jericho had've been properly built and used, he could've become WCW Champion. That's the problem though: WCW didn't know how to use and maintain stars by the time Jericho really caught on. He had a single moment of brilliance with Goldberg and WCW ignored it, thus damning Jericho to be limited to a comedic cruiserweight role. If WCW had chosen to make Jericho a serious contender and major on-air character, he would've caught on. People were already behind his insanely funny Ralphus storyline and the 1004 holds promos. Not to mention his conspiracy victim promos. Jericho definetely had alot of untapped potential but WCW preferred to keep the same vets on top and remained content to keep bringing back different versions of the nWo.

Simply put, WCW had a window of opportunity to start using younger talents and using them to bring up the next generation of stars. They missed that opportunity to start making new stars and Jericho was sadly one of those casualties.

When you have huge names like Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, Hall, DDP, Luger, Savage, etc. on your roster bringing you in gargantuan amounts of cash, it's hard to justify building up a guy who frankly, wasn't the good yet. Jericho didn't become a great wrestler until he had been with the WWE for a few years. He never had the chance to work with any truly great in-ring guys in WCW, partly because there weren't many there and partly because the top guys only wanted to put each other over and most of the top guys at that time weren't exactly putting on clinics in the ring at that time (go watch some of the main event matches from the NWO Era in WCW, they usually sucked pretty hard.) He, along with Benoit and Eddie, never truly reached their primes until they got to work with the better ring workers in the WWE, which is why they still took a few years to reach that next level.

Pushing him in WCW would have been a mistake simply because no one of the top guys in the company were ever going to put him over and he would have fizzled out quickly. So knowing that he wouldn't have gotten any help from the established hierarchy, he probably wouldn't have been able to hone his craft and become the tremendous worker that he is today.

Someone said that he probably would have gotten a reign during WCW's dying days had he not left the company. Totally agree. You had guys like Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett and Booker holding the titles and Jericho has always been every bit as good as any of them. Going to the WWE was clearly the better choice though. WCW's demise coincided almost perfectly with Jericho's rise to stardom. He was good enough to be WWE's first Undisputed champion which at that time was an awful lot more prestigious than holding the WCW title would have been in the last year or so of WCW's existence.

I couldn't see it happening. Jericho was a mid-card cruiserweight for most of his WCW career, and lord knows that WCW wouldn't push him with all the stars that they already had. He had more hope in WWE if you look at guys like Shawn Michaels, who wasn't exactly a big guy but still made it as the WWE Champion. Chris Jericho would have never been the WCW Champion, and if he hadn't come to WWE in the first place he probably would have ended up as part of the invasion and would have never won the WCW title at that time even. If he had gone to WWE during the invasion then who knows what would have happened with him.

Jericho would never have been a wcw world champion because the people in charge only wanted a certain group of people in the main event scene. They would have rather have the same 10 guys main event every week for nearly 2 years than let a midcard wrestler rise.

Jericho was somewhat popular in the wcw during his heel turn, and he even had the wrestling skills to back it up. But he would have never gotten the chance to main event unless he joined the nwo, which by the end point of their time pretty much anyone could join.

I was a bigger fan of the wcw than the wwf during the monday night wars, but now that i look back on it the wcw was stupid they only thought about the short run than the long run.

Instead of having Hulk, Nash,ddp, and sting stepping aside for guys like Malenko, Jericho, and others to step up and become the next group of wrestlers to lead the wcw they thought the old guys would last for years.

So no Jericho could never have won the big title, but it wasn't his fault that he couldn't

I was a jericho-holic in 1998. I loved his work. He was SO good at getting people over - his feud with Dean Malenko was white hot. Now - Dean Malenko was a very good wrestler, but his personality was pretty dull on screen. Dean was not on TV for months and Jericho was so effective as a heel - he got Dean over with the crowed in a huge way.

Much the same with Goldberg - he was really good with Bill Goldberg - shame about the pay off.

That all said - even in his 2nd book - Jericho admitted he had much to learn when he entered the WWF in 1999.

So whilst he was very entertaining and a hell of a talent, Jericho should not have become WCW champion until the day he did during the invasion angle - he was ready then.

The sad thing with Jericho is his actual title reign - particularly his feud with HHH in the run up WM 18 - disappointing - but by 2007 he was a world class performer and his feud with HBK didn't even need a world title match to make it a classy and entertaining feud.

I think yes but by the time he should have been champion he was already in wwe so yes but should he have been champion in 1996-1999 no.

He had already been cruiserweight champion and then television champion in wcw. From memory he was booked as the "lion heart" but then went on to change his ways and become more of a heel character who claimed to be the victim of some kind of "conspiracy". That was seriously funny and a huge step forward in the development of the character of Chris Jericho we all came to know and love. I think they should have made him u.s champion and perhaps that may have kept him in wcw a bit longer. He could then be wcw champion.

When you have huge names like Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, Hall, DDP, Luger, Savage, etc. on your roster bringing you in gargantuan amounts of cash, it's hard to justify building up a guy who frankly, wasn't the good yet. Jericho didn't become a great wrestler until he had been with the WWE for a few years. He never had the chance to work with any truly great in-ring guys in WCW, partly because there weren't many there and partly because the top guys only wanted to put each other over and most of the top guys at that time weren't exactly putting on clinics in the ring at that time (go watch some of the main event matches from the NWO Era in WCW, they usually sucked pretty hard.) He, along with Benoit and Eddie, never truly reached their primes until they got to work with the better ring workers in the WWE, which is why they still took a few years to reach that next level.

While I will grant you that Jericho wasn't in the leagues of the Hogans, Flairs, Stings,Nashs, Lugers, etc as far as popularity goes, he was better than just about all of them as far as his in-ring ability was concerned. The smaller cruiserweight guys like Benoit, Malenko, Jericho and Guerrero all kept the killer quick pace of Monday Nitro going while those big names could keep drawing the big money. My whole point before was that Jericho could've been a big star if given the proper build and opportunity to do so. He was massively over during 1997 and 1998 in particular, culminating with the Goldberg stuff. If WCW had a brain in their heads at that time, they would've capatilized on Jericho's heel character to both get Goldberg over even more and establish a new young talent to their credit. The greatness that was to become Y2J in WWF would've been established much sooner if WCW had realized Jericho's true potential, which was why I truly believe Jericho could've been a WCW Champion if used correctly. They would've had to put alot of time and build into making it believeable, but nontheless it would've worked[in my view, anyway].

Pushing him in WCW would have been a mistake simply because no one of the top guys in the company were ever going to put him over and he would have fizzled out quickly. So knowing that he wouldn't have gotten any help from the established hierarchy, he probably wouldn't have been able to hone his craft and become the tremendous worker that he is today.

That's as much to blame on WCW's lack of good management as Jericho's star power potential. If management had insisted that vets put over new talents and stop bitching, the results could've been huge. WCW had already invested a good 2-3 years in Chris Jericho as an on-air and in-ring character. The hierarchy arguement doesn't hold credibility because it was all politically based. How do we objectively judge someone's talent based on personal bias and/or preference? The moment WCW traded objectivity for big names with egos was the moment they lost any kind of credible judgement reguarding potential new stars. The truth is it wouldn't have mattered who it was that wanted to shatter WCW's glass ceiling. As long as guys like Hogan or Nash held the power, no one would get over no matter how gifted they were. Jericho or anyone else.

Someone said that he probably would have gotten a reign during WCW's dying days had he not left the company. Totally agree. You had guys like Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett and Booker holding the titles and Jericho has always been every bit as good as any of them. Going to the WWE was clearly the better choice though. WCW's demise coincided almost perfectly with Jericho's rise to stardom. He was good enough to be WWE's first Undisputed champion which at that time was an awful lot more prestigious than holding the WCW title would have been in the last year or so of WCW's existence.

To claim Jericho would've only gotten a break in the dying days is abit dismissive of his talent. If you'd had a structured system of building stars and keep top vets in check, the potential for breakout stars would've been exponentially more infinite. I would venture to say guys with big followings like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, and Malenko would've been main eventing on a regular basis because of skill alone. Even big lucha stars like Rey Mysterio and Kidman would've had opportunities to breakout sooner, given the shot to do so. I do agree with one thing: Jericho going to WWF was the best move for him and his career. It was obvious that Jericho wasn't getting an opportunity with self-centered, egotistical guys like Hogan & Nash influencing who was pushed and who wasn't. McMahon realized Jericho's potential and made him the star he should've been years before in WCW. It's a shame that guys like Nash had unlimited title shots while guys like Jericho or Bret Hart didn't. That goes to explain all you need to know about WCW and their lack of leadership and growth. A company that cannot evolve and grow cannot exist, which is why WWF ultimately won.

If Jericho had remained in WCW, he wouldn't have been put over as champ ahead of the likes of Hogan, Nash, Sting, Goldberg and DDP for a long while, he was nowhere near their level at the time. WCW had done a horrendous job of building new main event talent in the late 90s, only Goldberg and DDP really made it to the top.

Had Chris stayed there, he may have made it to the top table when WCW was dying. If people like Jeff Jarrett and Booker T became multi-time champions in the space of about a year, Jericho could have done the same, and he would almost certainly have jumped to the WWE after WCW closed, but the problem is that the frequency that the title bounced around in 2000-2001 meant that the WCW belt meant nothing by the end.

So, I think everyone would agree that Jericho made the right choice in joining the WWE in 1999. He won it all in Vince's company, numerous times...including the WCW title!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back