Sheamus: A Real Man?

Wrestling Mind 300

Dark Match Winner
On Smackdown, Sheamus explained why he attacked both Bryan and Ziggler. His reasoning behind his actions were to start his mission of eliminating all little guys and the fans heroes from the wwe. He also made a pretty interesting comment when he said, "Where have all the real men gone". (He has no right to say that when Brock Lesnar's still around) The "you look stupid chants" is also a funny little touch to Sheamus's new heel run as he certainly does look stupid and he eggs the crowd on which adds to his heel character.

Any thoughts on Sheamus's heel run and mission so far?

Didn't catch that, but if so, it is an interesting direction to take with him and could be a great way to get him legit heel heat going forward. However, it would be great if he feuds with Ziggler first before moving onto Bryan or someone else... whilst in the meantime, he should be kept as strong as possible.

So I assume with that statement he never plans on becoming the fans hero again. Nice to know you Sheamus, stay classy with the mohawk and all. Ugh. Sooner he retires the better, I just can't stand the guy, never could.

The best way to be a heel is to go after everyone's favorites. I like it, it's simple but it's not just the standard "I'm the baddest guy and I'll go through everyone in my path, I don't care who it is" routine. He has an actual motivation, which is to piss of the fans of the "underdog"-types (Ziggler, Bryan, Ambrose) by targeting them and keeping them from moving up the card. His target isn't just his actual opponents, it's the fans OF his opponents. In this "reality era", I think its a good angle.

On Smackdown, Sheamus explained why he attacked both Bryan and Ziggler. His reasoning behind his actions were to start his mission of eliminating all little guys and the fans heroes from the wwe. He also made a pretty interesting comment when he said, "Where have all the real men gone". (He has no right to say that when Brock Lesnar's still around) The "you look stupid chants" is also a funny little touch to Sheamus's new heel run as he certainly does look stupid and he eggs the crowd on which adds to his heel character.

Any thoughts on Sheamus's heel run and mission so far?

It's interesting. It's definitely better than him being John Cena-lite during his recent face run. I really really really hope him and Brock cross paths. It would be great to see a stiff match up between those two.

Sheamus needed a repackage and a heel turn. An already unique look got even uniquer. Sheamus is comfortable on the mic and a really underated ring worker. With good booking he can go places. I much much prefer Sheamus as a heel.

Oh and Lesnar isnt around. He got suspended on Raw and Sheamus made that comment on Smackdown. I wouldnt take it literally. CM Punk used to say he was the best in the world. He wasnt.

Well, even though it's still pretty early, I enjoy what I see and hear so far. I like the notion of Sheamus attacking Bryan & Ziggler, and I quote, "because I can" as it's a simple way of getting him over as a jerk. Quite a bit of the time, simple is usually the way to go and it's easy to dislike someone who does things because he/she can and gets away with it. He's not trying to play coy with the fans by condescendingly trying to convince them that he's doing it for their betterment or that he's really a nice guy or anything along those lines.

As far as Sheamus' "where have all the real men gone?" statement, it's sort of along the same lines as what Batista was doing at this time last year, only Sheamus has a few things going for him that Batista didn't. One of those things, in my opinion, is that he's a much better overall wrestler than Batista whether it be on the mic or inside the ring. Sheamus' new look is also garnering heat, heat that he encourages and wants while seeming completely, 100% at ease with the "you look stupid" chants. Batista got some heat as well, though it was mostly go away heat as not a week went by when I didn't see people from fans to writers to even a few wrestlers raggin' on Batista for his skinny jeans. Hell, people wanna see him each week just to be able to chant "you look stupid" if nothing else. Sheamus is trying to look tough, while a little ridiculous at the same time whereas Batista just comes of looking like a complete tool. He seems calm, cool and collected, generally far more at ease on the stick than when he was a babyface. Another advantage Sheamus has going for him is that he didn't quit for almost four years before coming back and all but literally handed the main event of WrestleMania on a silver platter.

Sheamus' "real man" comments are also a way of sorta striking back at fans of Bryan, Ziggler or other "smaller" guys, thereby garnering heat for himself as a heel and getting fans to rally around the faces. Not that Bryan and Ziggler need any help in that department, but any little bit helps. He's doing what heels are supposed to do and he's going about it in a simple, old school way that almost never fails: target extremely popular fan favorites while acting like an asshole willing to back up what he says.

I've always loved this storyline in all its variations. Big bad heel comes back from hiatus, attacks smaller babyface, gives the reason of manhood. Love it. And I'm not being sarcastic.

I can't really remember the last time we saw this storyline pop up, I assume it was with Batista and his mission to eliminate Bryan, but that was rather lacklustre. I've always felt Sheamus needed to just remain an ass-kicking heel... it's what got him over in the first place, and the face run wasn't really working. This is going to work, it already is. Sheamus has some nuclear heat at this point and the payoff is going to be sweet for a lot of casuals. Not to mention that Sheamus, Bryan, and Ziggler are just great all around pro-wrestlers that couldn't stink the joint out if they tried.

Seamus can change his look and style as much as he'd like, he's still BOOOOOOOOOOORING.

Sheamus' "real man" comments are also a way of sorta striking back at fans of Bryan, Ziggler or other "smaller" guys, thereby garnering heat for himself as a heel and getting fans to rally around the faces.

Makes sense, and as someone said earlier in this thread, Sheamus might be trying an approach that stays away from the "I'm the strongest and toughest and I'm gonna destroy everybody" statement and instead goes with "I'm a jerk and you're going to see a jerk take down your favorites."

No, he's not going to actually use those words; they'll be implied by the manner in which he conducts himself. It's amply backed up by his mohawk, which looks ridiculous because it's his intent for it to look ridiculous. After all, the WWE braintrust is aware that we already know Sheamus, including his look. When I first laid eyes on him during his run-in, I was thinking: "Oh, you moron! Look what you've done to yourself? Bleeck!"

Probably, that's just the type of reaction management wanted to convey; it's hard to convince fans that time off magically turned a face into a heel......instead, he got a good start toward convincing us as soon as we saw him running down the ramp.

Well, it garners heat and thats important for heel. Targeting two most over babyfaces in that Intercontinental Championship strugle makes sense if you want him to be some kind of heel who breaks babyfaces in half. And really, everything is better then him yelling "Fella" though I am sure that we would hear that again. :D

This gimmick remind me of Batista's some years back before his retirement against Cena. Except this time the crowd is cheering for the babyface instead of agreeing with the heel. Seem to have legs to run since the IWC favourites are the target of Sheamus' ire.

This gimmick remind me of Batista's some years back before his retirement against Cena. Except this time the crowd is cheering for the babyface instead of agreeing with the heel. Seem to have legs to run since the IWC favourites are the target of Sheamus' ire.

Speaking of Batista..

As soon as Sheamus said the words "real men", it immediately made me think of Batista. He cut a very similar promo early on in his 2014 run. He asked basically the same question, "What happened to all the men?". Daniel Bryan was involved in that angle too.

This is kind of a pipe dream, but I'd love to see this Sheamus vs Batista someday. At this point, I doubt Batista will come back though.

Well, even though it's still pretty early, I enjoy what I see and hear so far. I like the notion of Sheamus attacking Bryan & Ziggler, and I quote, "because I can" as it's a simple way of getting him over as a jerk. Quite a bit of the time, simple is usually the way to go and it's easy to dislike someone who does things because he/she can and gets away with it. He's not trying to play coy with the fans by condescendingly trying to convince them that he's doing it for their betterment or that he's really a nice guy or anything along those lines.

As far as Sheamus' "where have all the real men gone?" statement, it's sort of along the same lines as what Batista was doing at this time last year, only Sheamus has a few things going for him that Batista didn't. One of those things, in my opinion, is that he's a much better overall wrestler than Batista whether it be on the mic or inside the ring. Sheamus' new look is also garnering heat, heat that he encourages and wants while seeming completely, 100% at ease with the "you look stupid" chants. Batista got some heat as well, though it was mostly go away heat as not a week went by when I didn't see people from fans to writers to even a few wrestlers raggin' on Batista for his skinny jeans. Hell, people wanna see him each week just to be able to chant "you look stupid" if nothing else. Sheamus is trying to look tough, while a little ridiculous at the same time whereas Batista just comes of looking like a complete tool. He seems calm, cool and collected, generally far more at ease on the stick than when he was a babyface. Another advantage Sheamus has going for him is that he didn't quit for almost four years before coming back and all but literally handed the main event of WrestleMania on a silver platter.

Sheamus' "real man" comments are also a way of sorta striking back at fans of Bryan, Ziggler or other "smaller" guys, thereby garnering heat for himself as a heel and getting fans to rally around the faces. Not that Bryan and Ziggler need any help in that department, but any little bit helps. He's doing what heels are supposed to do and he's going about it in a simple, old school way that almost never fails: target extremely popular fan favorites while acting like an asshole willing to back up what he says.

I was gonna say pretty much all of this exactly. I'm also reminded of Batista's earlier heel weeks last year commenting on being a real man, implying that guys like Bryan and Ziggler are not the real men that used to populate the WWE. So far, I've enjoyed this heel run. All 5 days of it.

Sheamus was the guy who the machine put everything behind and it didn't work out as well as it could have. Daniel Bryan is the guy who the machine put comparatively little behind and became the biggest star since John Cena. Dolph Ziggler is the guy who's shit but a lot of people seem to like for some reason. This angle is obviously a nod to all that. I like it.

Sheamus is a real man and he should be in the main event hell Sheamus I think he could thrive as a mercenary in the sense of what Brock Lesnar is or was, that Lesnar was or is a mercenary Sheamus can be exactly that too and Sheamus has the credentials for it too but also Sheamus he is a kick ass heel too much like how Brock is

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back