• Bret Hart

• Triple H

• Marty Jannetty

• Diesel

• Other - Please Post

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
I was listening to ESPN.com and Bill Simmons did a 40-minute interview with Shawn Michaels, the man Bill calls "one of his all time favorites." Despite working for ESPN, Bill is a very vocal pro wrestling fan.

Bill asked a terrific question - he asked Shawn who his favorite / best opponent was. Shawn's career spans DECADES, so needless to say he had a tough time answering it, but he did narrow it down to 2.

What I am asking is, which wrestlers have worked the best with Shawn in his career? Who do you have the best / fondest memories of in terms of facing off against Shawn Michaels?

After I get some responses, I'll post Shawn's answers.

I've always had a soft spot for Triple H vs Shawn Michaels. It was a great feud with numerous matches, and the true way for Shawn to return. Triple H and Shawn got to go against each other, two best friends backstage stepping into the ring and creating a great feud with the mixture of Evolution being introduced.

The on-screen, as well as the backstage relationships between Shawn and Triple H throughout the years makes those two for perhaps the perfect feud. That is why I was so convinced that Shawn should have retired against Triple H, the only person besides Undertaker that really is anywhere near worthy of retiring Shawn, just like he got to retire one of his best friends in Flair.

However I will most likely say Ric Flair as my second choice if Triple H was not on the list. They have had numerous matches throughout numerous points of Shawn and Ric's career. Their first encounter I believe happening in 1992 or 1991 in a regular match that ended up with Flair obviously winning, it was back when the Big Gold Belt was still on display in WWF. Also in 2002-2003, as well as Flair's final match.

I voted for Bret Hart, but I think it’s a tie between Bret Hart and Steve Austin. As the Face Challenger, his feud with Bret proved to us that he belongs at the Top of the WWF Mountain. As the Heel Champion, his feud with Austin proved he can put over other Superstars.

As for the other choices on the poll, the Marty Jannetty feud was a great feud and a great way to kick off (pun intended) his singles career. The Diesel feud, to me, was exactly like the Jannetty feud, only higher up on the scale. The Triple H feud showed us, at the time, that he is indeed the “Icon that can still go”. The Ric Flair and undertaker feud was a great send off for HBK, but in my opinion, it wasn’t his best work, compared to when he was younger, of course.

So, winning the WWF Title for the first time against Bret, and losing the WWF Title for the last time against Stone Cold Steve Austin, is what makes up two of his best runs.

Very surprised that Chris Jericho wasn't included in this poll. They feuded two different occasions, and both times produced some GREAT matches. I'm talking top 50 in company history. His WM 19 and No Mercy Ladder matches were both great. I've heard things about JD and Unforgiven matches being good-great as well, and the GAB match was good to advance the storyline. Their feud was the FOTY in 2008, it was one of the focal points of their 2nd biggest PPV of the year, Summerslam, and these two NEVER have had a dull encounter, something that can't be said for Triple H, Bret Hart, Flair, etc. The angle in 03 and 08 were so different, yet so awesome each in their own ways. Again, surprised he's not even included in the list, considering they've had probably 7-8 PPV matches together with each other, which is a hell of a lot.

I can't choose. :icon_neutral:

1. Bret Hart - Just a great feud. It lasted long, and it ended...?? I don't know, it depends on your opinion on how it ended. This feud will definitely have a place in the WWE history book, much like Austin/Rock.

2. Triple H - Well, two best friends in this classic feud about betrayal. I loved this feud, it had so much emotion to it. I give props to these guys, especially because if my best friend and I were acting like we're fighting and that we hate each other, I would probably start laughing in the middle of the ring.

3. Chris Jericho - I think this feud was awesome. The way, Chris Jericho always compared himself to HBK, and then he thought that he was better than HBK. And the only way to prove that was to beat HBK. I thought this feud had some awesome matches and it had two of my favourite guys competing against each other. (But of course, I still cheered for HBK.)

To me there's absolutely no question his best opponent ever was Bret Hart. These two had an intense and long standing feud, they hated each other on screen and behind the scenes and it truly showed in the feuds they had. They not only helped define one another's careers but the matches they had together are some of the best matches in the history of the business. I just can't, personally, see how anyone would get the top spot above Bret Hart here. They brought the best out of one another and they made history together; from Bret defending the Intercontinental title against Shawn, to Shawn's first World championship win against Bret and the classic Ironman match, to the Survivor Series match that helped define an era, to all the matches between.

My second choice and runner up is a bit harder. Steve Austin's a viable choice, although I think both the Undertaker and Triple H surpass him as Shawn's better opponents. It's really a toss up between Undertaker and Triple H for second place, since both of those guys had some classic feuds and matches with Shawn and there's so much history between those pairings. Undertaker and Shawn had the first Hell in a Cell match, had other great matches during their primes in the main events of WWF. I enjoyed the feuds Shawn Michaels and Triple H had, and they had some great matches too, but their history is more defined by their friendship and the matches they had TOGETHER rather that as opponents so I'm going to have to pick Undertaker as the second choice. Undertaker and Shawn were great opponents.

To me his best opponents the first one is Triple H. Look at the match those two had at Summerslam in 2002. Their unsanctioned match, that match was Michaels comeback match, and to me it was one of the most best matches of that year. Especially after Michaels had won and Triple H almost killed him with that Sledgehammer shot. The story before the match was also epic, the whole bashing Shawn's head into the windshield and then the reaction from Triple H when Shawn told him it was Triple H was just priceless

The second opponent is The Undertaker From the first Hell In a Cell match that we first saw Kane interfere allowing Michaels to win. To their epic battles at the last two Wrestlemania's, with the last one ending Shawn's career. These two had come full circle since that Hell in a Cell match, to put on two of the best matches anyone has ever seen at Wrestlemania. So If I had to choose two opponents. It has to be those two.

SHAWN HAS HAD BIG TIME MATCHES WITH SEVERAL STARS, FROM BRET HART, KURT ANGLE, JERICHO EVEN EDGE. BUT HIS BEST OPPONENTS HAVE TO BE THESE ONES:

*UNDERTAKER, THEIR 2 WRESTLEMANIA CLASSICS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN, AND IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH REMEMBER THEIR BOUTS IN THE 90'S INCLUDING THE FIRST EVER HELL IN A CELL MATCH

*TRIPLE H, THEIR FEUD WAS AWESOME, 3 STAGES OF HELL, LAST MAN STANDING, STREET FIGHT AND ALSO THEIR WM XX MATCH ALONG WITH BENOIT. NOT TO MENTION THEY WORKED AS A TEAM ON DX VERY VERY WELL THROUGHOUT THE YEARS.

Bret Hart.

The matches speak for themselves, but just look at the realism and passion in the promos between them. It felt real, because so much of it was real.

It would have to be either Bret Hart or Undertaker.

Bret Hart because the matches were just brilliant and the passion in the promos were amazing simply because they were real.

Undertaker was awesome because him and HBK put on a great show at 2 wrestlemanias in 2 of the best matches ever. Wow I was amazed at what these 2 could do together.

i have to vote for taker, not only for there Wrestlemania matchs, witch will always to me be the two greatest displays of wrestling, entertainment, and pure love for the fans ever to grace a wrestling ring. but for other classics, including the first Hell In A Cell, At In Your House: Bad Blood. but tbh, i loved all Shawns matchs, am a huge shawn mark, and hes the reason i watched wrestling since i was a kid, now i have Daniel Bryan to cheer for, the world is ok!

In my opinion u have to be over 25 years old to really have a good understanding of HBK and his impact on the business. His latter feuds (post 2002) are not indicative of the star he was. To be clear, after his comeback, Shawn was a company guy. He did the "job" for lesser talent. He didn't need the belt to be the top guy. HOWEVER, in the 90s HBK WAS the undisputed top guy of the company. He was the best worker in wrestling, hands down. With all of that said, his best opponents are Undertaker and Bret Hart because those feuds lasted years. I would even say that the feud with Razor Ramon was the one that got him out of the midcard and into the main event discussion. Austin was 1 match with a lot of build but it wasnt a great feud because everyone knew he was gonna do the job so Steve could build on his momentum. Bottom line is this, Hart and Taker had the best FEUD with HBK because the fans cared and HBK delivered every time.

Now I would have gone with Jannetty.

The major difference between Shawn's work with Hart, Austin, HHH, Jericho, or anyone else vs the Michaels / Jannetty feud is that not only was Shawn not an established star at the time of the feud, neither was Marty. The two had such a synergistic relationship that they felt like brothers, and the Barber Shop scene broke hearts like Marty's face broke glass. It was brilliance in the beginning.

Marty's return and the ensuing Shawn / Marty / Sherri drama was booked perfectly and set on the stage at the Royal Rumble. The two men put on a visceral match that still reads like poetry in motion the way Savage / Steamboat once had. Marty's desire for revenge was absolutely sanguine, yet his concern for Sherri's well being (perhaps Marty's flaw) still allowed us to sympathize with him as a character.

Michaels, on the other hand, was self-important and narcissistic. He didn't care about the fans, he didn't care about Marty, he didn't care about Sherri. He cared about himself and only cared for others insofar as for what they could do for him. This calculated indifference to others was punctuated not by an evil glare or a twitch, but rather by a simple, cokcy smile.

When Shawn wrestled his former tag team partner at Royal Rumble and at Monday Night Raw, we were watching a legend being born. And for the first time at the Royal Rumble, I think we knew it. Each time Shawn's shoulder managed to eek up off the mat as the referee counted 2-and-eleven-twelfths. Each time Shawn bounced from pillar to post, totally confused as to his whereabouts but maintaining the basic instinct to just not lose the first belt that lent credibility to his legend.

Marty played his role beautifully, and he was Shawn's greatest opponent.

1. Undertaker

HBK was able to find ways to beat the Deadman about a decade ago. However, HBK took in a lot of punishment during those matches, including a severe back injury.
Years later, Undertaker seemed to be one step ahead of HBK, eliminating him last at the Royal Rumble, then beating him at consecutive Wrestlemanias. Ironically enough, the man who ended the first stage of HBK's career in 1998, ended his second stage as well in 2010.

2. Triple H

HBK scored some impressive victories in the early stages of their feud. However, Triple H was able to turn back several challenges by HBK in the latter stages of their feud, and beat HBK in a HIAC match.

Marty Jannetty vs HBK were classics. They were so over in matches together that two midcarders got to wrestle in a steel cage match for wwe home video as their matches and rivalry were so intense and realistic.

My vote is Jannetty.

I believe Shawn Michaels' greatest opponent is Chris Jericho. I know there's legendary feuds like HBK vs. Bret Hart, but how big would that have been today without the Montreal Screwjob? It's possible that it could still be recognized as one of the best feuds of all time, but the Screwjob really made HBK/Hart a world renown feud. Also, I firmly believe that HBK made that feud what it was, so Bret Hart really isn't his GREATEST opponent.

Marty Jennette (sp?) is up there, because the whole situation is very personal and was the spark to HBK's heel turn, and a pretty great feud. But Marty himself was not that great of an opponent.

Triple H is really damn close. I'm still questioning myself on this one, because he is one of the greatest of all time, and there's so much history between the two of them. Every time they got in the ring together it was magic. But again, at least half of it was the Heartbreak Kid's charisma making the feud incredible.

Years ago Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho had a short but fantastic feud culminating in one of the best Wrestlemania matches in history. It was during a time where Jericho was on his way up. He had been the former Undisputed Champion of the WWE. The match was technical masterpiece, and the story they told in the ring was brilliant. And if that's enough (and it's really not), fast-forward to 2008. Jericho and Micheals put on what is considered one of the best feuds since the Attitude Era. It was brutal, it was personal, and it was awesome. Jericho cut phenomenal promos week after week. He destroyed HBK month after month, and garnered huge amounts of heel heat. And then HBK would come back to take the advantage, before eventually losing the entire thing to Jericho in the end. I honestly believe that in terms of story, drama, mic ability, in-ring talent, and...pretty much every category imaginable besides being an egotistical douche-bag...Chris Jericho was Shawn Micheals' greatest opponent.

My pick would be HHH. They wrestled in almost every type of match there is, and they were all good matches.

His matches against Taker were always great as well, especially before HBK broke his back. Both men were in their prime, the matches were brilliant.

Lots of people have mentioned Jericho, and I agree with them as well.

Someone that hasn't been mentioned yet though, Jeff Hardy. I'm not saying he was the best, but they did have some good matches, especially in 2002/2003

I have to go with The Undertaker. Both guys showed two years in a row that could still put on an epic match even though they may be in their 40's. Undertaker ended Shawn's career in what was one of the greatest send off matches I have ever seen. Taker and Shawn had the best feud to date and both years they had the main event. Taker wins this one by a mile.

I have to say Kurt Angle. They had 3 classic matches. The best one was the one at Wrestlemania 21. But I can watch any of those matches anytime.

Vote has to go to Marty, barber shop anyone? some people have already said all the reasons I would have, classic stuff, just wish Marty had become as big as Shawn

(side note, as of this posting not one vote for Ric, find that a lil surprising)

Triple H- This feud was one of the best I've ever seen and for me was the best of HBK's career from Elimination Chamber win for HBK to the unsanctioned match at Summerslam to the Three Stages Of Hell, all these were great matches that helped create a great feud. Triple H did a great job and I despised him, the guy is one of the best heels I've ever seen. For me Triple H was Shawn's greatest ever opponent.

Undertaker- This again was a good feud and their two matches at Wrestlemania were epic. This did a great job of making the Streak look unbeatable considering it ended HBK's career. I was torn during their final match because I wanted to see the Streak continue but I didn't want to see HBK retire. Undertaker as ever did a good job and put on good matches with HBK. I almost forgot the Hell in a Cell match, that was a good match too (Kane's first ever entrance was epic).

I'd have to go with Chris Jericho. After not watching wrestling for a few years, I checked out WWE when their fued was first starting. These two just work so well together in the ring, And gave us one of one of the best heels in the business today in Chris Jericho.

I have to go with Taker here even though they have only faced off four times (that I know of, four times on PPV definitely) every single time has been a very good match at the very least. When you looks at his fued with HHH, which seems to be a popular choice here, they had their great matches (Summerslam '02, Raw in late '03, WM 20 w/ Benoit) but they had some pretty bad matches aswell (HIAC from Badd Blood '04 anyone). In the Taker/HBK fued you dont have a bad match, you have three all time classics (including the last ***** WWF/E match to date) and one very good match (Casket Match) the same cant be said for many of the other choices which is why I went with Taker.

I have read that Shawn loved working with The Undertaker, so I would have to go with that being his greatest opponent. I feel that his greatest opponent was Bret Hart considering all of the history those two have had together over the years. Shawn had a good feud with Undertaker, and probably considers him a great opponent. I just think as far as rivalries go, Shawn and Bret Hart would be right up there.

Shawn has beaten Bret and everyone on the poll except Stone Cold and Diesel to my knowledge. Undertaker was really the only man that took Shawn to the limit at Wrestlemania two years in a row. My money is on Taker, but Bret and Shawn were great opponents to each other.

Bret Hart because even though we know its all acting, and even though we all know (well we should) know the montreal screwjob, it seemed so real on so many levels. Even before the screwjob the promos were so 'in your face, take that bitch' it just seemed like two men fighting over something, like it occurs in REAL life. It was amazing and by far one of the best feuds ever and probably the most famous feuds in wrestling history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back