Shane Helms Explains Why He Didn't Join TNA

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
In an interview with Monday Night Mayhem (full interview can be found there), Shane "Hurricane" Helms explains why he chose Lucha Libre USA over TNA, and more:

On his reasons for choosing Lucha Libre USA and not going to TNA or ROH more actively: "I just think it's something different. I never did the Lucha Libre style, and I think I have more to offer those guys. I think it's a challenge for me now. Once I left the WWE, if you count WCW, you're talking about a 12-year TV career. The only time I had off is if I was hurt. I wasn't really sure if I was going to sign another TV contract, because I didn't know if I wanted to. I started working the indies, and working with a lot of talented people, and it kind of lit the fire under me again. There's alot of people in TNA who want me there, and I have lot of friends down there, but Lucha Libre USA came at me with a great offer, so I think I made the right choice."

On why it was not a surprise for him to not join TNA: "I had calls from certain people, but I hadn't really decided. Even when the Lucha Libre offer came up, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do anything. I think TNA will always be an option, and it would great to work Matt, Jeff, and Shannon again, but I see those guys all the time anyway. I don't want to go there just because I'm someone's friend. That's never been my deal, and I've always done my own thing anyway. I know it was a surprise to some people, but I think for people who really know me, it wasn't that big of a surprise."

Thoughts on this? Does this change the perception you might have had about Helms, especially if you thought it was a given he and Matt Hardy would be coming in together?

Personally, I think it was a great choice to go to LLUSA, but an even better explanaion behind it. At first I was shocked that he didn't rejoin the Hardys and Moore, but I guess it's all about the money. It's also great for LLUSA, since they're bringing in a lot of former big names to hopefully boost their ratings on MTV2. They already had Mark Jindrak (Marco Corleone), Rhaka Khan and Carlito, and now they bring in Helms (who will be rehashing his Hurricane gimmick for the promotion), ODB, and Paul London (replacing some dude under the Sydistiko mask). It should be effective for LLUSA, for lucha libre in general, and for MTV. After all, one step farther away from Wrestling Society X is always a good one.

Also, a rare classy speech from Helms.

I think Shane made a great choice. Like he said, its not about where your friends are at, rather its what deal you can actually handle. He made a great point when he said that hes had a 17 year TV career and he wasnt sure he was ready to sign another one. He's had his injuries and I think that as long as hes happy where he is then he's made the right choice.

I find myself wondering how much of this is pure bullshit that Helms has spinned just for the purpose of making himself look good. Maybe it's just because I have a suspicious mind but Helms has struck me over the past several weeks as yet another wrestler that believes himself to be far superior than he actually is.

Helms says that a lot of people in TNA wanted but who exactly are these people? I have little doubt that his friends the Hardys & Shannon Moore would've liked to have seen him there but what about the people in the company that really matter and have the power? You know, Dixie Carter, Dixie's mother, Jeff Jarrett, Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, etc. Was he ever someone that was seriously discussed being brought in by the Powers That Be? Was an offer actually made to him? Maybe, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that there was. In terms of name recognition, Helms is fairly low on the totem pole I'd imagine.

As for Lucha Libre USA, well all the power to him if that's where he wants to go. I watched a few episodes whenever I was able to catch it in and I can't say that it did much for me. The times I watched generally had lousy wrestling and extraordinarily cheesy/campy characters on the roster. The Hurricane would fit right in with the latter.

i think its a good choice. i watched all the episodes of LLUSA, personally, i have enjoyed it. then again i like the high flying lucha style. i really didnt think he would go to TNA though. plus they dont need him to begin with. they have a large enough roster. this could help LLUSA get a little better ratings by having more recognizable names

I find myself wondering how much of this is pure bullshit that Helms has spinned just for the purpose of making himself look good. Maybe it's just because I have a suspicious mind but Helms has struck me over the past several weeks as yet another wrestler that believes himself to be far superior than he actually is.

Helms says that a lot of people in TNA wanted but who exactly are these people? I have little doubt that his friends the Hardys & Shannon Moore would've liked to have seen him there but what about the people in the company that really matter and have the power? You know, Dixie Carter, Dixie's mother, Jeff Jarrett, Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, etc. Was he ever someone that was seriously discussed being brought in by the Powers That Be? Was an offer actually made to him? Maybe, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that there was. In terms of name recognition, Helms is fairly low on the totem pole I'd imagine.

As for Lucha Libre USA, well all the power to him if that's where he wants to go. I watched a few episodes whenever I was able to catch it in and I can't say that it did much for me. The times I watched generally had lousy wrestling and extraordinarily cheesy/campy characters on the roster. The Hurricane would fit right in with the latter.

Well said fella, my suspicious mind states that Helms wasn't a big enough star to have had money thrown at him by TNA. Also, this might well be canny self promotion - both Hardys have a great deal of negative publicity at the moment, riding Matt's coattails into TNA wouldn't have done his cred any favours. He stays it out for a while with LLUSA (which I know very little about as it gets no coverage in my lil hamlet of the world), and 'crosses the line' when the Hardys are not the top of most peoples bad things about wrestling lists and he can come in under his own terms. Helms may yet not be as dumb as he looks.

Am I wrong, or wasn't there an article/rumor that Helms once dated Velvet Sky, and their break-up was so bad that she practically threatened to quit if Helms was signed?

Still, Helms I think is a great athlete who still has a lot to offer TNA or Lucha Libre, and if the guy is going to diss Shawn Michaels, he better earn back some brownie points. No matter how much of a dick Michaels used to be, it's not good to diss a legend in public.

I'd love it if Helms came into TNA on his own merits in a year and showed everyone that he can break out on his own. He'll always be linked to the Hardys but he can still stand on his own two feet and be a man.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this.

I know the hardy's and shannon moore would most likely go to bat for him, but I know he used to date Velvet Sky and the awkwardness from that might be what's keeping him away, it may be keeping TNA from wanting to sign him. Let's face it, Helms really isn't worth the headache. No matter what he may think of himself he really doesn't get over aside from being a comedy act and TNA already has Eric Young.

But it's just speculation.

My mind at this point, says that anything associated with Helms says to take it as 50% truth until we hear the other half. I mean, he's talking about 'Turning down TNA?' When he's been bashing non-stop HBK, who is best buds with Ric Flair and still quite a bit of the others who were ex-communicated from WWE to TNA-land. Besides his own faltered relationship with Velvet Sky, his behaviour would be considered 'Less Than Professional' when you think about it. I'm sure Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett would look at the Youtube vids and think "Gee, that's someone we DEFINITELY want on our employee list. If we tick him off, he'll start bashing us especially with the roster of Legends we've had come through here...why that's a sane person for the taking!! Let's sign him up!" I highly doubt that since JJ had his own issues with the Angle drama, and other roster talent who have their own personal issues as well. That is one liability they probably just said "Thanks but NO" despite how hardy the Hardys and Co would lobby for him.

My mind at this point, says that anything associated with Helms says to take it as 50% truth until we hear the other half. I mean, he's talking about 'Turning down TNA?' When he's been bashing non-stop HBK, who is best buds with Ric Flair and still quite a bit of the others who were ex-communicated from WWE to TNA-land. Besides his own faltered relationship with Velvet Sky, his behaviour would be considered 'Less Than Professional' when you think about it. I'm sure Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett would look at the Youtube vids and think "Gee, that's someone we DEFINITELY want on our employee list. If we tick him off, he'll start bashing us especially with the roster of Legends we've had come through here...why that's a sane person for the taking!! Let's sign him up!" I highly doubt that since JJ had his own issues with the Angle drama, and other roster talent who have their own personal issues as well. That is one liability they probably just said "Thanks but NO" despite how hardy the Hardys and Co would lobby for him.

I don't really think that influences their decision making that much. Both the Hardys are just as bad when it comes to that, if not worse. Hey, at least Helms wasn't under the influence when he was bashing HBK. As far as Jarrett and Angle's real life issues, they put them on TV! They made a storyline out of it! They salivate at this type of opportunity. TNA would probably put a spotlight on Helms in the ring and have him do worked-shoots bashing HBK and WWE and everyone in-between. Not a smart idea, but that is their MO.

But I do agree that they should be reluctant to sign Helms, and hopefully they have the sense to realize this. My point is that if they sign an out of shape, bitter, delusional guy who makes videos bashing other wrestlers who date or have dated his ex who he constantly obsesses over in a creepy, borderline psychopathic/stalker way. And his brother who is a convicted drug addict/dealer who also makes videos bashing wrestlers and his old company in a way reminiscent of a druggie lashing out at his friends and family for his own problems during an intervention, while obviously high on some kind of drug. Helms is not too far of a stretch!

Shane Helms will do absolutely nothing for LLUSA, and he's completely full of crap. Here's what probably happened - he applied for a job at TNA, and Flair (and I imagine Nash at the time) convinced Dixie Carter that he's a scumbag for the way he had been lashing out against HBK. He brings nothing to the table, he was funny as the Hurricane (mainly because of The Rock) I'll admit, but I don't think many people have ever been excited to see the dude. He should get Shannon Moore and whoever else it was in 3 Count from WCW and go somewhere far away from televised wrestling. LLUSA's "great offer" was probably minimum wage off the books.

I think it's a great choice for Helms. Because TNA is filled with nothing but WWE Rejects. And everybody feels all cause they leave WWE, they got to go to TNA. Not really the case. Helms found New life with Lucha Libre USA, and plus it's something new to him plus he got a good deal. But he got a chance to better and revive his skills, as in TNA, it kinda would've been hindered. Like he said TNA is always gonna be an option. I'm so happy he made that move, I don't know what to do. But I hope writers, and wrestlers and columnist now realize and follow the trend of Helms and realize all cause u get released from Vince McManhon, u don't have to go to TNA.

I'm sorry, but Helms isn't making sense here. You turned down the #2 wrestling promotion in the world for Lucha Libre USA??? Helms just seems to be spewing a bunch of bullshit to make himself look good. Man, I have lost soooo much respect for this guy over the past couple of months.

Sure, the Hardys and Moore probably put in a good word for him, but if the higher ups in TNA seriously wanted him there, then I'm sure Helms would've been on his way to TNA. So I would have to believe Helms wasn't wanted by the people who have the real pull and power in TNA.

I tried to watch Lucha Libre USA on MTV2, but I couldn't get into it. I thought the entire show was very corny and cartoonish, and the wrestling was very forgettable. Although, this should be a perfect fit for Helms, because I'm sure The Hurricane would fit perfectly in the very bizarre world of Lucha Libre USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back