Seth Rollins (c) vs Roman Reigns vs Dean Ambrose (c)

Johnny Scumm

InZayn In The Membrane
Now...everyone seems to go on about how much they would love to see this long-awaited "Shield Triple Threat". I just had an idea pop into my head no more than about 10 minutes ago & so I've come to ask you;

Why couldn't the three guys have a triple threat with TWO titles on the line?! This all stems from Wrestlemania, so let me tell you the story...

There's an Intercontinental title match at Wrestlemania, a multi-man Ladder match to be precise. After last night's Raw, you'd assume Barrett would be defending against R-Truth, Luke Harper, Dean Ambrose, Daniel Bryan & Dolph Ziggler. Now, this match could also give birth to the feud of Bryan vs Ziggler/Sheamus...but that's for another day. At the end of this Ladder match, Dean Ambrose climbs to the top and wins the Intercontinental Championship.

Later on in the night, after Seth Rollins has defeated Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar must face Roman Reigns, defending his world title against him. This match will eventually be won by Roman Reigns, who is subsequently destroyed by Lesnar, who "announces" he's leaving at the same time. Cue Seth Rollins, to cash in the MiTB Briefcase (at last!) on Reigns (who after one quick Curb Stomp) to become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Long story short after this, Reigns is owed a rematch & obviously, Rollins doesn't want him to get it. Cue Ambrose to come out & brag that he's got a title as well, but just because it's not the WWEWHC, it's obviously not going to be as popular etc. This leads up to a triple threat match at a PPV.

Dean Ambrose (IC) vs Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins (WWEWHC)

Triple Threat Title Match for the IC & WWEWHC Titles.
1st pin wins the IC Title, 2nd pin wins the WWEWHC.

Question is; WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Triple Threat Title Match for the IC & WWEWHC Titles.
1st pin wins the IC Title, 2nd pin wins the WWEWHC.

Question is; WHAT DO YOU THINK?

It's not the worst concept I've heard to set up this possible match, but if they went about doing it, I don't see the point of having a fall for each title, they could simply set it up as if either champ is pinned then he loses his belt. This would give Ambrose and Reigns further reason to focus on Rollins- as you'd imagine they'd be doing anyway, but then build heat between themselves when it came time to get the pin, giving Rollins the opportunity to capitalize.

One reason your scenario would be helpful is that it would allow Dean to take the pin in the second, world title, fall. As the one problem with having both titles on the line is that it makes no sense for Rollins to be double champ, and the IC title would feel like a step back for Reigns after having defeated Brock at Mania, meaning Dean wouldn't be likely to get pinned, while at the same time there is no way you would want to take the title back off of Rollins so quickly, or force Reigns to eat another pinfall loss.

The most logical thing would simply be not to have the IC title involved at all, even if Dean were to be champion, which I doubt will be result of the Mania ladder match anyway.

It's not a lousy idea. Personally though, before anything like this took place, I'd rather see the Intercontinental Championship built up for a while because, in my opinion, it really needs it. The overall use of the Intercontinental Championship and the spot of champion itself has been abysmal for quite a while and I think that needs to change before anything like this is really a viable option.

Realistically, Ambrose and Bryan are really the only two that should walk out as champion. R-Truth is irrelevant, Luke Harper is sliding towards irrelevancy, Ziggler's had several IC title runs with no real results, the title's been an anchor around poor Wade Barrett's neck. They're the only ones who're pretty high on the food chain in WWE: Ambrose has too much promise to fade into nothingness and Bryan's the most over babyface the company's had in a very long time. Either would be a great champion if they're booked and since both are so popular, it just makes sense that either of them would be the one to restore some prestige to the title.

I wouldn't mind seeing this type of match again. It kinda reminds me of Wrestlemania 2000 (16) when Kurt Angle, Jericho, and Benoit were in a triple threat for the European and Intercontinental championship. The first fall won I think the IC, and the 2nd won the Euro. Maybe at Summerslam they could do that Shield Triple threat as months down the road all three will be more established and two of the three should be title holders by then.

Not really a fan of this idea. Having two different titles involved makes it too complicated. Why, both in and out of kayfabe, in this scenario would Seth or Roman want the first pin if it's for a midcard belt when the second pin is for the World Heavyweight Championship? To hold two belts in Seth's case? Perhaps. He's focused on retaining the more important title though, and Roman's definitely going to be more interested in the top prize. The more likely scenario is after Ambrose offers to put his midcard title on the line would be Roman and Seth laughing at him saying they have more important things to deal with like the top prize of the federation.

That being said, I've been all for the Shield Triple Threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship for quite some time. Let's say Ambrose isn't Intercontinental Champion. He has a strong showing in the Ladder match at Wrestlemania but Daniel Bryan was the one to leave with the belt instead. We'd get the actual triple threat at this point, WWE could build toward having it at Summerslam. I'd love to see that. It should just be about the World Heavyweight Championship between three guys who have a ton of history and the in-ring skills to deliver a match of the year candidate. No point in complicating it by adding a midcard title into the mix.

I personally think you could put the WWEWHC belt on Roman, put the US belt on Rollins, and put the IC belt on Ambrose, and have them triple threat. Champion on Champion on Champion. The winner could "take all" which could lead to some interesting angles in future booking between the winner, the losers, other contenders, and the belts.

But, I think the days of champ v. champ are done for. The US and IC belts are merely mentioned as afterthoughts, and after Brocks impressive last run, the WWEWHC is just out of reach for most of the superstars anymore.

Interesting, and reading the above quote stresses the irony that in this match-up, the only one without a title is Roman Reigns, who is the one many of us figured would be the only guy with a title belt at the conclusion of WM31.

Still, it could happen.....if WWE has bigger and better plans for Dean Ambrose after the big PPV and if Seth Rollins finally cashes in MITB. I believe there's strong evidence he will, given that a match between Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar is bound to leave both men exhausted....and ripe for a cash-in.

Then, too, there's history. Has a heel ever failed to take the title in a cash-in attempt? (Yes, there's Damien Sandow, but I think it's common knowledge now that he was never destined to be a world champion). Outside of that, MITB has been used as a way to get the title belt around the waist of a heel every-damn-time......and Seth Rollins certainly is a heel.

As to the match-up suggested by the OP, there's also irony in that whether Roman wins or loses his match against Brock, he can still participate in the 3-way with Ambrose & Rollins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back