• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels That Sucked, But Shouldn't Have

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Are there any sequels that you were highly anticipating, only to see them and be extremely disappointed? The one sequel that I found disappointing (and just flat-out horrible) was Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. I think it was disappointing for two reasons. First, it got way too political. However, I will say that this would not have been a problem for me had it been serious and had the film's incessant conservative bashing not come from two guys who spent a night of their lives trying to find a White Castle in New Jersey in order to satisfy "the munchies." Second, this film centers way too much around Kumar's (Kal Penn) back story. The first one was mainly about Harold (John Cho) with Kumar playing comedic foil. Frankly, I could have given a fuck about the "one that got away" from Kumar. Although Penn was great in the first one, he really sucked in this sequel, as did his girlfriend/fiancee/whatever she was.

Staying Alive, a sequel to Saturday Night Fever for those who don't know, was fucking terrible. I mean, it was FUCKING TERRIBLE. I've, and my mother as well, always been a big John Travolta fan. From Saturday Night Fever to Grease to Blow Out to Urban Cowboy to Look Who's Talking to Pulp Fiction... I was raised on this guy's films (along with Schwarzenegger). I remain a big fan of his to this day, even with pieces of shit under his belt like Battlefield Earth and yes... Staying Alive.

It seems taboo now, but one of the most exciting experiences as a kid was going to the video store to rent movies (wrestling tapes, too). I ALWAYS looked forward it. But I remember this one time I came across this film with John Travolta on the cover, and it was called Staying Alive. I brought it to my mom and she said it was Saturday Night Fever 2, so this instantly became one of my choices to rent that night. I was so excited and couldn't believe I never heard of this, or saw it for that matter. But when I got home and popped the son of a bitch in the VCR, I realized, even as a little kid when pretty much EVERYTHING you watch is going be somewhat entertaining, why my mom never exposed me to this picture. And it was simply because the film was a boring, uninteresting, ridiculous piece of garbage.

Spiderman 2.

Spiderman 1 was everything you could want from a film... it was true to the comic for the most part, had a great villain in Willem Dafoe and an interesting tension between Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Fast forward and you have a filler storyline, a disappointing Doc Oc and the transition of Harry from grieving son, to Green Goblin which could have been drawn out a little more. Now I admit, I hated Doc Oc in the tv series because to my mind, he was never a standalone bad guy because he didn't have much to go on. But then they changed him from mad scientist, to scientist who wanted to honour his wife's memory with completing the experiment that killed her.
Not a good back story.

Ok, we got Peter and MJ getting together in the end... but it was a little consolation to a poor film.

Spiderman 3 was better... but suffered from a minor villain in Sandman, to having Venom killed WAY too soon. He was at least good enough to merit a return if needed.

The problem they've had is that they've put forward the worst villains imaginable. Shocker and Scorpion were much more intimidating choices than the two guys I've just mentioned

Major League II

I personally enjoyed it, and don't think it's a bad movie, but as a sequel, it sucks. I expect a sequel to make me think that the first one isn't complete without it. Rocky II, T2, and a host of others, all made me want to see other sequels, and they added a whole new dynamic to the first one.

The second Major League, was basically it's own stand-alone movie, with the name of the first one. Yeah, it hinted at the first one, but didn't really have the same feel. It had it's bits, and made me chuckle, but the first one had me rolling on the floor.

Spiderman 1 was everything you could want from a film... it was true to the comic for the most part, had a great villain in Willem Dafoe and an interesting tension between Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Seriously, i felt that watching Randy Savage beat him senseless, and DeFoe's performance were the only two things worth paying attention to in that movie. Secondly, the way they portrayed Peter Parker just didn't work for me. Peter Parker always came across to me as being anerd, but more of a nerd like Hurley in Lost ya know? A Nerd that even the Jocks like as a person, and not the dweeby, loser with major confidence issues and total lack of social graces that this film's Parker had.

Also, once he said 'Shazam!' while trying to make the webbing work, i got super pissed off, being a DC fan. Plus, Spidey's webbing has never been a biological product of his condition, he's always had to make it himself for God's sake.

Fast forward and you have a filler storyline

His powers start fucking around just as he needs them the most, plus the villain this time around is someone he knows. And by that i mean, he didn't have to work out that Doc Oc was Otto Octavious like he did with Osbourne being the Goblin, so the emotional turmoil is a good plot development as well i felt.

a disappointing Doc Oc

Hearing voices from his tentacles was a bit lame but i still preferred him over Goblin personally. I've always liked Doc Oc so that's probably why.

and the transition of Harry from grieving son, to Green Goblin which could have been drawn out a little more.

Yeah i agree with that. That's something that should have developed over the course of the 3rd film, and teasing a 4th, as opposed to having it take up near enough, the entire beginning of the 3rd movie.

But then they changed him from mad scientist, to scientist who wanted to honour his wife's memory with completing the experiment that killed her.
Not a good back story.

Well that's not quite it, really. Yes his grief over his wife was obvious, but it came across to me that he'd sacrificed everything in his life to achieve his life's work, but not only was he proven wrong, but his wife was killed and he was mutilated as a result. All of that fused with the AI screwing with his mind, encouraging him to try his experiment again regardless of how many thousands of people died, seems pretty mad scientistish to me (yeah, me good with grammar).

Ok, we got Peter and MJ getting together in the end... but it was a little consolation to a poor film.

Meh, could have done without it personally,

Spiderman 3 was better... but suffered from a minor villain in Sandman, to having Venom killed WAY too soon. He was at least good enough to merit a return if needed.

I couldn't watch past the first half hour, THAT's how dire i felt it was. I didn't even see him become Venom. I knew Topher Grace was going to be Eddie Brock (and i knew he'd be shit at it, Eddie Brock is supposed to be a muscle bound, jealous bully, not Eric Foreman with a camera in his hand and a new haircut, which is basically what his character is initially like.), but the events before that just put me right off.

1. Harry attacks Peter as he's on his way to propose to MJ, and what do they do in this scene? Rather than build up the emotional tension and drama by havin Spidey think 'Oh no, my best friend has become a mortal enemy, after i got blamed with killing his old man, and now i've got to stop him from killing innocent people as well as me,' they decided to have him think to himself, 'OH NO! MY ENGAGEMENT RING!!!!!!' L-A-M-E!!!!!

2. The Venom symbiote oozes its way out of some space rock............. Not, Jameson's astronaut son brings it back to Earth during a botched space mission an almost dies, no, no, it oozes out of an asteroid fragment. Uber lame!!

3. During the Spiderman parade, he turns up, speaks to MJ who he desperately wants to spend his life with and..... kisses Gwen Stacy in front of everyone, including MJ. HOW ******ED ARE YOU PARKER?

4. Sandman (i forget the character's actual name) is running across some marshes to escape the cops and ends up in a sandy pit where dangerous government testing is going on.... just like that. He's running, he's running, he's running, he falls in a hole that you'd have to be blind to miss, and then has super powers. (Sigh)

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDD that's when i gave up caring.

The problem they've had is that they've put forward the worst villains imaginable. Shocker and Scorpion were much more intimidating choices than the two guys I've just mentioned

I agree. What about the Lizard? Jesus, they've even had Dr Conners in the last 2 movies and still nothing. He'd have been a far better choice than poxy Sandman, because they would have been continuing the trend that every villain Spidey faces is somehow personally connected to Peter Parker.

And killing off Venom is pretty shit too. Not as bad as the whole Harvey Dent/Two Face transition. Ally to the Bat, scarred face, dead within 2 days. He's Batman's most tragic villain for God's sake, you can't kill him off just like that!

Anyway, my pick would be Predator 2. Nowhere near as iconic as the original. Most of the acting was atrocious and not even Danny Glover could save this movie (although the chances of Danny Glover saving anything are always remote at best). The storyline was ok i suppose, but everything else was just terrible.

Jurassic Park 3. Though it is the third film, I guess that would make it the sequel to the second film. Lost of people are negative on the second film, The Lost World, but in reality, it is a great movie, it brings you the sense of adventure. Number 3 however brings you nothing. It strays from the film far too much, and brings you a bad guy...er Dinosaur who seems utterly too smart to be true. The Tyrannosaurus Rex from JP1 and LW: JP was a believable killing machine, always backed up by the Raptors as the other evil. This movie makes a mockery of the T-Rex, and puts in a new killing machine who never was as scary as a T-Rex. It was not a good movie, and I hope they redeem themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back