Scott Hall Is The Most Overrated Wrestler In The Last Twenty Years

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Now I know the kneejerk reaction to this is that I'm crazy because Hall is one of the best ever. That was my initial reaction as well, but let's think about this for a minute.

I was looking through the tournament list and I saw Hall at #62 overall, which is just about the middle of the pack. I thought nothing of it, but once I started talking to myself about wrestling in the shower as I am known to do, the less sense this made. Let's take a look back at the career of one Scott Hall.

Ignoring his time in the AWA and his first WCW stint, he comes into the WWF playing Tony Montana from Scarface and does....not bad. He hooks up with Flair for a mostly forgotten feud with Savage before moving on to face Bret for pretty much his only major WWF Title shot. Hall then starts his deal with the 1-2-3 Kid and turns face as a result. He wins the IC Title and starts his most famous WWF feud with Shawn, resulting in their classic ladder match at Wrestlemania X.

Then he kind of falls off the map. He kept the IC Title for awhile and feuded with a bunch of midcard heels, ranging from Jeff Jarrett to IRS to Goldust. The matches are ok but he never jumps up the card at all as he seems to be this guy that's always around the midcard but never does anything significant. The only highlight was another great ladder match with Shawn at Summerslam 95, which pretty much comes and goes.

After that he just kind of fades away until he jumps the railing at Nitro and launches the biggest angle in history (arguably) in the form of the NWO. Now that right there would probably put him on the list of all time legends in most peoples' eyes, but again let's stop and think about this: other than being there first, what did Hall really add to the NWO?

Hall jumped the guardrail and was the hot topic for about two weeks. He said two very famous lines with "You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here" and "You want a war? You got one". Then Nash showed up as Hall's surprise and Hall is immediately in the back seat. Think about it. Nash was the one that powerbombed Bischoff off the stage. Nash was the bigger star in WWF. Nash was the one that had been in the main event when he left. Hall had been in a midcard feud with Goldust that never had a blowoff. At In Your House 7, both men's last major appearance in the WWF, Hall lost to Vader in a long match that no one remembers, while Nash lost in the main event in arguably his best match ever.

In short, Hall stopped meaning as much. Then we get to Bash at the Beach and Hall is pretty much reduced to Hogan Goon B. Then the NWO explodes as the hottest angle in the world and the Outsiders win the tag titles. They never really defended them, so while Hall had some long runs, he was never in the ring doing anything while the rest of the big names in the NWO got all the spotlight.

After that....Hall really didn't do anything for the rest of his mainstream career. He had a ton of personal problems and was often off the shows which explains a lot of it. However, here's where this really started to click for me: name one great or even very good match that Hall had in WCW. He didn't have that many big matches and most of them weren't very good at all. He was completely overshaddowed by Hogan and Nash and others, and his matches weren't very good.

To sum up Hall's career in the ring, it would be that of a guy with talent and two or three very good matches, but for the most part he was famous for being around others that were more famous. After 1995, I don't remember any truly good match the guy had, but he's considered among some of the best ever. Not one of the elite, but you always hear his name among some of the big stars. He's very overrated in my eyes in that regard, because other than a few matches, he never was anything great in the ring.

Thoughts?

You know why he is overrated? Because he never won a world title. One topic people love to discuss here is greatest wrestlers to have never won a world title. Since most great wrestlers have won titles Scott Hall often gets undeserved praise. I think even if he got one brief title reign in WCW Hall wouldn't be discussed as often as he is. It's kind of strange to say that the lack of a world title gives a guy a better legacy but I think that's the case with Hall.

I didn't watch WCW too much in the late 90s but I can't think of any Hall matches that stand out. I remember the promos and the nwo chaos but I can't remember any matches. Matches were never really his strong point anyway. I thought he was good as Razor Ramon in the WWF but unless he was in the ring with Michaels or Hart his matches usually weren't great. Razor got by on his charisma. Yeah he was a Scarface ripoff but that was ok. The character was cool. From the accent to the catchphrases to the gold Razor was cool. He dropped the Razor name in WCW but kept the Scarface gimmick for the most part. I think when people think of Hall they remember the great gimmick and because of it maybe remember him for being better than he was in the ring.

By the way, to say someone is overrated does not mean they weren't good. I thought Razor was good. Just not as good as most people think. Great IC champ but I don't think it's a crime that he never got the world title.

Absolutely agreed. I think people tend to exaggerate his abilities both in the ring and on the stick. He, much like Nash, could elicit a reaction by using that puesdo-shoot, "cool heel" diatribe that the Outsiders became known for, but to actually sell a program/angle with mic work - Hall routinely fell flat. In the ring, the song remained the same. When Hall's most famous match (which I was in attendance for) with Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania X is referenced, it's often quoted as Shawn "having a 5 star match with the ladder." And make no mistake about, Shawn was capable of that.

Most of the general audience tend to rank him a lot higher due to his perceived significance in what was, as you said, arguably the great storyline in the history of the business (although Austin vs. McMahon trumps it). Remove Hall and insert any midcard star of that era and they would garner the same reaction.

Much like Brain, I think Scott Hall was good, but he is vastly overrated. He had a brief stretch in WWF where he was really good -- his matches with 1-2-3 Kid and Shawn Michaels are the highlights -- but that's about it. In WWF, he was one of the best characters in that era. Yeah, the gimmick was "stolen," but that doesn't mean Scott Hall didn't fit it perfectly, nor does it mean he didn't put a lot of hard work into that gimmick. Razor Ramon -- as a character -- was great, but it stalled after a while, it became the same thing over and over again. I don't blame that on Hall, I just think the gimmick had a short shelf life. He was never going to be anything more than a midcarder in the WWF and I think that's what people don't understand -- people love to put Scott Hall in "what if?" scenarios, but they don't realize that none of those scenarios were really ever possible.

I find Hall's WCW stuff to be very mediocre. He was a glorified henchman, whether it be for Nash or Hogan. The most he ever did, was just kind of stand in the background and nod. He didn't have enough star power to shine in that group; that really says it all about Scott Hall. Hall was okay, but he didn't have enough star power to be put in the company of "top guys," he just doesn't deserve to be there. He rode the coattails of the better performers he was placed with -- Michaels, Nash, Hogan -- into being called one of the best ever.

Hall was a product of those around him. He was a great supporting player, and while there's nothing wrong with that, he doesn't deserve to be called one of the best ever.

Scott Hall is associated with a lot of great wrestling storylines, but other than the dual Intercontinental titles feud with Shawn Michaels, how many of them actually were centered around Scott Hall? I can't think of any offhand. It was always about someone else, with Hall just kind of hanging around in the background, as Crock points out.

HBK was Batman. Kevin Nash was Batman. Hollywood Hogan was Batman. Scott Hall was always Robin.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. While Hall's substance issues really hindered his post WWE career, his first few years in WCW were still QUITE memorable, in fact those of us who watched WCW more than WWE/F would likely say we remember more of Hall as an Outsider than we do of him as Razor Ramon sans his epic ladder match with Michaels.

The title of most overrated wrestler in the last twenty years rests firmly and unequivocally in the lap and on the back of The Giant/Big Show. I watched him from day one in WCW, and despite the fact that his wrestling performances were exceptionally better before he made it to WWE, he was never half as good as the company chalked him up to be, and that was made so much worse by his pathetic public speaking/mic work.

I don't know he had good matches with Diesel in the WWF also. I think the Royal Rumble IC title match with Goldust was a very good match. The matches with Jeff Jarrett were solid. So I think Hall had good matches with other than Micheals and Hart.

I seen in the Old School forum someone compared him to Rocky Maivia and I do think that's completely off base because Rocky could do so much more than Hall could in the ring.

It's insane that this is even a post, Scott Halls out of the ring work is definitely in the top 10. That makes him one of the best all time.

I agree with this totally, but I also agree with Damn Real that Big Show may be be more overrated than Hall. On the surface it seemed like Hall was an all time great, but as you think and dig a little deeper as the OP said you come to find that he really wasn't all that memorable. I watched a lot of WCW during the height of the NWO, and the thing I most remember about Hall as a singles wrestler is him zapping Goldberg with a cattle prod. Always enjoyed watch Scott Hall, but definitely is overrated.

Scott Hall probably has the worst reputation in wrestling, so it's kinda hard to call him overrated.

Scott Hall was a major WWE star 1993-1996. On paper it might not have seemed like he was doing much sometimes, but the guy was majorly over. I think Jarrett and Goldust needed the IC title more than Hall.

The Outsiders and subsequent NWO angle is one of the most important events in wrestling, and Hall was in on the ground floor.

Hall wasn't just "the second guy." He was a huge WWE star, who jumped ship to WCW with another huge star. That's why The Outsider angle had such an impact.

Substance abuse and the shitty work environment of WCW probably had an impact on Scott Hall's in ring skills. There were barely any great matches in WCW from 1996 to 2001 that didn't involve cruiserweights anyway. But Hall was good on the mic, and the fans still liked him.

I'd say Sting and Jeff Jarrett battle that title before Scott Hall even comes into the arena of said discussio, but he was pretty damn overrated.

I see Scott Hall ending up being like the film The Departed, though. He will become so overrated at one point, that all the hate he receives will in turn make him underrated. He was a good wrestler that was at the very beginning of arguably the greatest angle in wrestling history. He has his place, and should be mentioned in a positive light for his body of work.

I'm sorry but I'm going have to disagree with most of you's. Im not saying Hall should be in your top 5 or even your top 10. But he might be in someones top 20. You guys are comparing him to people that are considered the best ever or one of the best ever, Hulk and HBK. Com on thats not fair, also you cant put Nash in that picture.
What about the feud with 1-2-3 Kid. That was good. Hall and Goldust was alright. In the ladder match what do you want him to do? Hall is a considered a big man. He never performed the way people like HBK did. I mean he was great heel and as a face he got over with his character. His mic skill were at least average. Just because the guy got some issues doesnt mean he was a slump of a wrestler.

I dont think anyone seriously puts Scott Hall high on the list of mega stars with the likes Hogan, Savage, Flair, Austin, etc. No one can think of one feud, one time he was "that" guy outside maybe his mid card feud with HBK. There are some people who think he is an all time performer, like Steamboat, HBK, Hart, etc. To me those people are off base.

Hall was solid in the ring, not great. He didnt have the endurance or charisma of Flair or HBK, didnt have the versatility of Hart or Austin, didnt have the technical skills of guys like Steamboat, didnt take the bumps a lot of those guys took. He wasnt bad, he moved well, had a decent amount of offense, he just could not on a regular basis match HBK, Hart, Flair, Steamboat, Savage, Austin, HHH, I dont think he had the athleticism of Sting or in ring ability of Jericho, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Piper or even Jarrett for that matter. Anyone think he could in his prime compete on the mic and in the ring with Kurt Angle ?

Actually, for his size, I think Kevin Nash was a more versatile performer in the ring and way better on the mic than Hall. Honestly, outside of the Ladder Matches vs HBK, what other really good "special" matches did he have ? In WWE he had some good bouts vs Hart and a lot of stuff that was above average but not great. In WCW he never had one really good definitive match.

When people call Hall great the are lowering the bar. In football terms if Flair, HBK, & Austin are Montana, Marino, & Elway then Hall is Neil O'Donnell. He had his moments, he wasnt able to compete on a regular basis with the other guys.

When I think "most overrated", I tend to look more towards guys that get tons of praise but have never done anything to warrant it. Scott Hall was never a World Champion but, then again, Great Khali was. Being a former World Champion isn't an automatic symbol of greatness.

Hall will never be in the upper reaches of wrestling greatness, but at least the guy had talent and earned some impressive accolates, had memorable matches, memorable feuds and was part of some of the biggest angles in wrestling history.

If I had to pick someone as being the most overrated of the past 20 years, there's one name that immediately springs to mind: Tommy Dreamer.

Tommy Dreamer, in my eyes, is easily the most talentless never-was that I think I've ever personally laid eyes on in pro wrestling. There's nothing, NOTHING, remotely special about the man. He doesn't have a good look, he doesn't give good promos and he's completely 100% average in the ring on his very best day. In spite of all this, however, there are still fans & wrestling insiders that talk about Dreamer as if he squatted over Madison Square Garden and crapped out the first pro wrestling ring. Whenever I hear Dreamer talk, it's always pissing & moaning, sometimes outright crying literally, about stuff he was doing and involved with in ECW more than 15 years ago. He has to talk about his past constantly because he hasn't got anything else to talk about or worth listening to quite frankly.

There were a lot of guys in ECW that were overrated, talentless hacks but Dreamer is always the one that stands out most in my mind.

The title of most overrated wrestler in the last twenty years rests firmly and unequivocally in the lap and on the back of The Giant/Big Show. I watched him from day one in WCW, and despite the fact that his wrestling performances were exceptionally better before he made it to WWE, he was never half as good as the company chalked him up to be, and that was made so much worse by his pathetic public speaking/mic work.

hulk-pastamania-sm.jpg
Yes?

The Big Show as most over-rated wrestler in the last two decades? I'll admit I didn't watch a whole lot of his time in WCW -- I didn't watch a whole lot of WCW -- but I just simply can't accept that. For one, you have to be considered "rated" before you can be grossly over-rated. The guy gets a good reaction, always had, but it's not like he's ever drawn NWO-level hype. You can go back and listen to about 90% of the crowds he's performed in front of in the US over the course of his career in WWE, his initially pop is drowned-out by the overwhelming silence that accompanies most of his matches. He's a great guy, incredibly agile for a man of his size and build, and he's brought a lot of great feuds to us over the years. But who the hell buys into him enough that you'd consider him the most over-rated wrestler in 20 years? The only people that "believe" he's the most dominant competitor in the world are Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler, and they believe anything Vince McMahon tells them to.

You want to talk about over-rated, how about guys we hail as either "legends" or "the future" but have really done nothing, or not a whole lot of anything to merit that incredible praise? At least Big Show has wrestled for two decades to get the honor of being over-rated... What about King Kong Bundy? Ken Anderson? Personally I have to give it to Goldberg - the streak was impressive, but it's because of his enormous success and recognition in fans minds today that the term "over-rated" so easily fits him.

What other 420+ pound person do you know that could do drop kicks with ease and some top rope moves. Vader could do moonsaults, but thats about it.

As for Scott Hall being the most overrated in the last 20 years....... ummmm duh. You gotta be reliable to be wanted in places and after burning so many bridges, well, we all know what happened.

To a generation of Wrestling fan, Scott Hall is one of the most influential and charismatic talents to ever lace 'em up!

To be honest, I most fondly remember Scott Hall's second WCW stint above and beyond his Razor Ramon schtick.
Don't get me wrong, he was a solid performer in the role, which spawned many great memories, But as a kid I was "kickin' it with the Kliq" as a full fledged HBK mark.

Anyway, Scott Hall during WCW's apex (this will be hard for many of you younger fans to believe) was more over than just about anyone on WWE's roster today!
Wrestlers and Wrestling were mainstream baby! and Scott Hall being featured as one of the top five guys in WCW at the time put him right at the forefront.

Scott Hall, in his prime could work his ass off. Even as late as the Autumn of '99, he could still go and produced good TV matches with the likes of Booker T and Lash Leroux as well as Jarrett in early 2000.

As far as mic work is concerned, this shouldn't even be a debate. The guy is legendary on the stick and cut many stellar promos in his various guises. As a teen in 1999, who just started to sprout hairs on my sack, Scott Hall had the all important "cool factor" and contributed a great deal to WCW's product.

As a side note, If you go back and watch the October 9th, 2000 WCW Monday Nitro broadcast, I'm the guy who's often on camera with a giant 'We Want Hall' sign! :)

Is Scott Hall overrated!? as I mentioned above, to a generation it's a resounding 'NO', To many fans today raised on this crap that resembles Pro Wrestling, opinions may differ.

To a generation of Wrestling fan, Scott Hall is one of the most influential and charismatic talents to ever lace 'em up!

To be honest, I most fondly remember Scott Hall's second WCW stint above and beyond his Razor Ramon schtick.
Don't get me wrong, he was a solid performer in the role, which spawned many great memories, But as a kid I was "kickin' it with the Kliq" as a full fledged HBK mark.

Anyway, Scott Hall during WCW's apex (this will be hard for many of you younger fans to believe) was more over than just about anyone on WWE's roster today!
Wrestlers and Wrestling were mainstream baby! and Scott Hall being featured as one of the top five guys in WCW at the time put him right at the forefront.

Scott Hall, in his prime could work his ass off. Even as late as the Autumn of '99, he could still go and produced good TV matches with the likes of Booker T and Lash Leroux as well as Jarrett in early 2000.

As far as mic work is concerned, this shouldn't even be a debate. The guy is legendary on the stick and cut many stellar promos in his various guises. As a teen in 1999, who just started to sprout hairs on my sack, Scott Hall had the all important "cool factor" and contributed a great deal to WCW's product.

As a side note, If you go back and watch the October 9th, 2000 WCW Monday Nitro broadcast, I'm the guy who's often on camera with a giant 'We Want Hall' sign! :)

Is Scott Hall overrated!? as I mentioned above, to a generation it's a resounding 'NO', To many fans today raised on this crap that resembles Pro Wrestling, opinions may differ.

Ok, see, here's the thing, I grew up in the same generation of wrestling that you did, but I like to think that I've become a walking, talking book of wrestling history.

Now, with that said, you did make a great point that he did work some good, not great matches with Booker, Jarrett, and that hall of fame hopeful Lash Leroux. But here's the problem with that. Yes, he had a really good ladder match with Shawn Michaels before he packed his bags and went back south, but he really didn't have any other memorable matches in WCW. Yes, his mic work was really good, but to me, he's nothing more than a twin of Jake Roberts.

They both were good ring psychologists and had good mic works, but they both had similar demons that put a stop to their careers to the point where they're both treated chick with an itchy crotch........ nobody really wanted to be anywhere remotely near them.

Ok, see, here's the thing, I grew up in the same generation of wrestling that you did, but I like to think that I've become a walking, talking book of wrestling history.

Now, with that said, you did make a great point that he did work some good, not great matches with Booker, Jarrett, and that hall of fame hopeful Lash Leroux. But here's the problem with that. Yes, he had a really good ladder match with Shawn Michaels before he packed his bags and went back south, but he really didn't have any other memorable matches in WCW. Yes, his mic work was really good, but to me, he's nothing more than a twin of Jake Roberts.

They both were good ring psychologists and had good mic works, but they both had similar demons that put a stop to their careers to the point where they're both treated chick with an itchy crotch........ nobody really wanted to be anywhere remotely near them.

Firstly, thanks for the reply man.

Secondly, I recall off the top of my head a couple inspiring ring performances from Scott during the latter part of his career.

His bout with Sting from Uncensored '98 springs to mind. By no means is it Flair-Steamboat, but two savvy veterans went out to the ring that night and rocked it.

I also recall a six-man main event from a Feb. 1998 Nitro, with Hall, Nash and Hogan taking on the trio of Giant, Sting and I think Randy Savage.
Again, the match wasn't destined to make any marks all-time list, but Hall bumped like crazy in the match and worked hard to compensate for the even then barely mobile, radioactive looking Hulkster.

Speaking of six-man's, The Slamboree '97 six-man tag featuring the original Wolfpac of Hall, Nash and Syxx took on Kevin Greene, Piper and Flair in a red-hot matchup.
In retrospect, Scott once again bumped like crazy for all three of his opponents and in the process made Kevin Greene look like a million bucks!

Overall, I think what separated Scott Hall from his peers was his connection with the masses.
Scott, as I mentioned earlier had the all-important "cool factor", something which literally no one besides The Rock these days has in today's WWE.

Firstly, thanks for the reply man.

Secondly, I recall off the top of my head a couple inspiring ring performances from Scott during the latter part of his career.

His bout with Sting from Uncensored '98 springs to mind. By no means is it Flair-Steamboat, but two savvy veterans went out to the ring that night and rocked it.

I also recall a six-man main event from a Feb. 1998 Nitro, with Hall, Nash and Hogan taking on the trio of Giant, Sting and I think Randy Savage.
Again, the match wasn't destined to make any marks all-time list, but Hall bumped like crazy in the match and worked hard to compensate for the even then barely mobile, radioactive looking Hulkster.

Speaking of six-man's, The Slamboree '97 six-man tag featuring the original Wolfpac of Hall, Nash and Syxx took on Kevin Greene, Piper and Flair in a red-hot matchup.
In retrospect, Scott once again bumped like crazy for all three of his opponents and in the process made Kevin Greene look like a million bucks!

Overall, I think what separated Scott Hall from his peers was his connection with the masses.
Scott, as I mentioned earlier had the all-important "cool factor", something which literally no one besides The Rock these days has in today's WWE.

I did indeed forget about the Sting match there from Uncensored '98, which was infact a pretty damn good match. But here's the problem with those other matches. They're all tag team. At that point in his career, he just simply couldn't do it on his own anymore.

The Slamboree match against the 2 geriatrics and a guy with no business inside a ring should never have happened. I am infact a fan of Piper's and Flair's, but Hall was pretty well ****ing himself in the ring, over selling moves to anybody who had been a name in the prior 50 years and some that are no names at all.

He may have had the "cool factor" going for him, but so did Bret Hart in the late '90's, as did Austin, Pillman had it for a long time and so did the Road Warriors. Is it the "cool factor" that made you say "damn, I wanna be just like Scott Hall" and then drunk happened?

Hall wasn't just "the second guy." He was a huge WWE star, who jumped ship to WCW with another huge star. That's why The Outsider angle had such an impact.

Bullshit. The Outsider angle didn't work because Hall was a "huge" WWE star. It worked because we watched both shows. It worked because even the most naive fan at some point went "Wait a second, hes not suppose to be here." That angle would have worked with almost anyone on the WWE roster. Hall's biggest contribution to the angle was that he spoke in the same voice as Razor Ramon.

KB nailed this one
Hall jumped the guardrail and was the hot topic for about two weeks. He said two very famous lines with "You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here" and "You want a war? You got one". Then Nash showed up as Hall's surprise and Hall is immediately in the back seat.

That is and always has been Hall's biggest claim to fame. THINK about it, every other memorable moment in the NWO was made memorable by someone not named Hall. Other then being first in on the NWO/Outsiders angle the only thing I remember about Hall in WCW is he tasered Goldberg.

Am I correct that KB has stated he didn't watch WCW?

I struggle to believe that anyone who watched WCW actually believes Hall was in the background as soon as Nash showed up and never had a memorable moment again until he tasered Goldberg.

Hall was MEGA over during the nWo era. When Nash disappeared from tv for spell here or there to rest a knee or something, you never heard "We Want Nash!" chants breaking out. Anytime Hall disappeared crowds demanded his return.

The angle with DDP and the Outsiders worked because of Hall's mic work. Scott Hall's feud with Larry Legend in late 97 was big (despite how bad the matches may have been lol). Hall won World War 3 and a lot of fans pined for him to actually win the title. In late 97 Hall was getting major face reactions and as WCW was teasing the nWo splitting (and eventually did with Nash leading the Wolfpac) it wasn't Nash that the fans wanted to root for. They wanted Hall to turn on Hogan and take care of business. When Hall turned heel on Nash to side back with Hogan a lot of fans were devastated. Personally I think it is a big reason why the Wolfpac v Hollywood feud is looked at the way it is now. Nobody wanted to boo Hall anymore. When Nash comes out to save Hall at WW3 98 and Hall puts up the Wolfpac sign the crowd goes ballistic.

People make a mistake in thinking Hall wasn't doing anything significant during the nWo time. Hogan was running with the gold, but Hall and Nash were tearing up the tag team ranks and Hall was opening basically every nWo segment with the survey. He often found it hard to get an audience to boo like they were supposed to when he said "Who's here to see the nWo?" Yet, when Hogan or Bischoff would take the mic they had no problem booing those two. When Nash was feuding with Giant they had no problem booing Nash like they were supposed to. It was Hall (and Savage at various points) that crowds were too in love with.

THINK about it, every other memorable moment in the NWO was made memorable by someone not named Hall. Other then being first in on the NWO/Outsiders angle the only thing I remember about Hall in WCW is he tasered Goldberg.

DDP turns on the Outsiders to go mega face: Hall involved, big factor
Scott Hall wins WW3 97
Outsiders rough up the Nasty Boys (all Scott Hall)
Feud with Larry Zbyszko (all Scott Hall)
Tag Title match against Lex Luger and Sting (obviously Hall was in it)
Feud between Nash and The Giant (Hall was often the instigator here)
Scott Hall betrays Kevin Nash (stupid idea, but Hall was involved)
Reunion of Outsiders tease in 98 (all about Scott Hall's popularity)
nWo invading the announce booths on various Nitros (all about Scott Hall's ability to use the mic)
The long and awesome feud between the Outsiders and the Steiners (Hall obviously involved)

I think it's easy now, some 12-14 years later to forget just how important Hall and Nash were together as the Outsiders. The Outsiders were main eventing Nitro frequently at a time when Nitro was crushing the WWF.

Now, it may still be fair to say he is an overrated wrestler, because his run and popularity in WCW was entirely about his charisma and was he did on the mic. He carried feuds entirely with his mic work and charisma. It was never about some awesome match, in fact, most of his WCW matches were lazy.

Edit: Heck, WCW got run from 98-2000 about teasing the return of Hall whenever he was off television for some drug/alcohol issue. Fans would chant for his return and WCW would tease it for awhile to get ratings and then bang, Hall is back. Eventually the mystique of it wore off, but for nearly two years they got cheap pops and ratings just by bringing back the suspended Hall to television.

The guy was great in the ring, great on the mic, had charisma and was part of some of the biggest moments in the 90's. I think talent wise he isn't overrated at all but his big problem was his demons by far and they held him back in my opinion.

When Scott Hall was on his game he was as good as anyone in the wrestling business, when he was off his game (which seemed to happen more and more as years went on) he was just good, not great. So I guess in that sense he was overrated since consistency is a big thing for me and although he was on most of the time he wasn't consistent on a regular basis which is a very important thing. If consistency didn't matter Romo would have a Superbowl by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back