• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Samoa Joe re-signs with TNA

fenfool

Getting Noticed By Management
Dixie Carter, President of TNA Wrestling, just posted this on her Facebook:

"Proud to report the re-signing of Samoa Joe! I feel good knowing that I have a very focused & determined Samoan on my side. Congrats to us both!"

I didn't think there was much doubt that he would re-sign. The question is, how will he be used? We last saw Joe submitting to Jeff Jarrett. Can he command the same respect he used to coming off of that? What do you think he, and TNA's creative staff, need to do to make him a top star again?

I think he needs to come back excessively strong and violent. I can't ever remember seeing him submit to anyone...having Jarrett, who had been clowning around with his MMA gimmick for weeks, submit him hurt. Jarrett seems to have a forthcoming angle with Kurt Angle, but Joe can't just ignore his loss. I loved the Joe/Angle matches when Angle first joined TNA, I'm thinking Joe needs to be involved in Jarrett/Angle, and make it a 3-way feud.

Three things:

1. Joe has been performing without a contract while the two sides agreed to a new deal, and it was reported that he had no interest in leaving, despite being frustrated with his place in the company right now.

2. He was jumped prior to the match and "injured" (kayfabe) before Jarrett submitted him. Dunno if you saw that whole match or if you were just reporting on what you read from the results, but there was a reason he tapped — he didn't just job it out clean.

3. He tapped to Angle — first man in TNA history to make Joe lose.

There have been ongoing discussions between the two sides, and like you said, there was little doubt he would re-sign. He just wasn't at the last set of Impact tapings as he was supposedly waiting for a new deal to be put into place.

I think the biggest question is his usage. He's been frustrated with his place in the company for some time now, and that's somewhat understandable. The best way to use him right now is having him reluctantly join with Pope, Morgan, and Anderson in the war against Immortal, as he certainly would provide another face that is much needed right now.

As for the commanding respect you referred to, of course he can. If you didn't actually see the last two PPV's where he "submitted", he was jumped in both matches, one in which he was choked out with a nightstick. Its not like Jarrett took him down on his own.

Joe needs to be used consistently. He can't afford to be on TV for a few weeks, and then off for a few. Thats been the pattern for Joe for almost a year now. You cant be a top star if youre not on TV each and every week.

However, I think it's a terrible idea for Joe to get involved in the personal angle between between Jarrett and Angle. He would wind up being the "third man", such as Randy Orton was in his the John Cena and Wade Barrett angle, for example. Three way feuds don't work because one inevitably gets lost in the shuffle. Joe can't really afford to be the one that does.

And if you loved the Joe/Angle matches so much when Angle first came to TNA, surely you remember Joe submitting to Angle, right? That was 4 years ago, so Joe certainly has submitted before. Joe also lost a submission's match to Bobby Lashley at 2009's Bound For Glory. Thats only their biggest PPV of the year and all....

Its good news for both parties if Joe will be used for something. The past year we have seen Joe come and go, not showing up for weeks or months at a time. Hopefully he won't get kidnapped again. I haven't been huge Joe fan now compared to years ago. I think he has become sloppy and out of shape compared to when he first started. Hopefully TNA will have something for him so he can be the Samoan submission machine of old.

Dang it, I did forget that he tapped to Angle! Not much shame in that.

I think pinfalls as a result of interference, getting jumped, etc. don't really hurt, but tapping is another thing. Passing out (ala Stone Cold in WM13) is about the only way for a 'badass' type to really lose via submission and not look bad. I just think if you have a monster babyface like Joe tap, it hurts him.

Yes i think it was the right decision for both parties Tna suits Joe if he had gone to wwe what would of happened challenged for wwe title then buried in the mid card wwe has enough of them - What Joe does in TNA now your guess is as good as mine

Like he had a choice? I do not see the infatuation with this guy. He is fat, ugly, and has an annoying and whinny voice. I hope TNA doesn't push him too hard. He is okay as a lower mid-carder but thats about it. He can be a jobber to the stars or something like that but it was a huge mistake to ever give this guy the title. I guess there are a lot of guys he can job to so its not really a bad move. I would probably rather re-sign Joe than sign that fat fuck Matt Hardy. At least Joe is a good wrestler. I don't understand why he is frustrated though. I actually think he is getting more than he deserves. He seems like one of those guys who believes in his own hype a little too much. He is not that good and needs to realize it. Being a mark for yourself is the same mistake guys like Matt Hardy and MVP make. They think for some reason that they are headliners when they are mid-carders at best. It doesn't mean they suck because a company needs popular guys in the midcard. Everybody can't be Kobe. Somebody has to be Shannon Brown or Steve Black. Hopefully he realizes he is a role player and appreciates his role.

I'm still convinced that TNA didn't need to rehire Joe. He hardly has a big part of TNA, and haven't had a big part of TNA in the last year's time or so. Sure he's a popular guy, and he's a decent wrestler. But it's not something that has a big part of TNA. Their current roster of the newly brought in guys and the TNA originals which they've been mixing up in the whole thing the last 6 months at least, should be more than able to draw ratings and put on decent matches.

Joe if you ask me, is just another useless paycheck that needs to be paid. He's not really needed in TNA anymore. Not that I'm gonna sit around and complain about them rehiring him, but I just don't see the purpose of Joe sticking around.

I think this is a no-brainer. Two TNA staples need built up - Joe and the X Division. This is the one time that a rehash would suffice, go back to early TNA Joe - give him the X belt and let him decimate all contenders, no matter who they are or what faction they represent (I'd love to see a return of the towel covered in victims blood too). Joe works best as a lone shark, all associations he has been involved with have weakened his rep (Nation of Violence, TNA originals, Main Event Mafia, Nash, Taz... bollocks!).

I mean the use of Samoa Joe has really just went to utter shit. The downside to this hope is the fact that TNA is trying to compete with WWE now. With Eric Bishoff and Hogan they have this vision and now it involves people like Anderson, Morgan, and Hardy. I feel a little let down because TNA was like my outlet when I wanted to watch Wrestling as opposed to entertainment. Samoa Joe it seems will be used mid-card for a long time. I really really hope what is being said will come to light, the Samoe Joe of 2005-2006 was legend!

I mean the use of Samoa Joe has really just went to utter shit. The downside to this hope is the fact that TNA is trying to compete with WWE now. With Eric Bishoff and Hogan they have this vision and now it involves people like Anderson, Morgan, and Hardy. I feel a little let down because TNA was like my outlet when I wanted to watch Wrestling as opposed to entertainment. Samoa Joe it seems will be used mid-card for a long time. I really really hope what is being said will come to light, the Samoe Joe of 2005-2006 was legend!

I think that Joe did himself no favors re-signing with TNA he should've went to WWE. Since the departure of many established wrestlers for example Batista, Jericho, Michaels, HHH, etc. he could've made a run in the WWE for example previous TNA talents CM Punk, R-Truth, and Kaval which are bigger and better than they have ever been. WWE needs some young talent they can build on and is definitely looking for potential talent for the foreseeable future as it's shown that the wrestlers that are drawing right now are Miz, Orton, and Cena which are all on the RAW brand and Joe would've been a welcome addition to either brand as he fits the profile of the type that could start a feud with Jack Swagger on Smackdown and do fairly well. I don't get the reason that TNA gets all these chances with wrestlers that are too good for the company and are too loyal at times when they should be thinking of the bigger picture. It's like Peyton Manning deciding to take a contract from the UFL instead of the NFL which in my books is the difference in quality between TNA and WWE as the WWE is the proven major leagues and this loyalty to a brand such as TNA I feel it's time to see the outcome which is that TNA is not major leagues and they will never be and if a wrestler wants a strong future in this business then if there is a chance to go to WWE then make the move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back