S#cial Sector's Recipes

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So I love to cook... no, I'm not a chef and don't claim to be. I'm just a guy who loves to take food and make even better food. Around my circle of friends, I'm one of the 2 people that people actually love to go visit when it comes time for eating big meals or even just to visit for dinner. I'm a US Southern African American, so already you can assume that I love to make what we like to call "comfort food"... but that's not all I make. I've traveled to many different places, eaten at many different restaurants (not just chains, but privately owned) and even found a few friends within the food industry who have taught me a few tricks within their culinary specialties. On top of that, I've watched countless upon countless of Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Youtube "Demonstration" cooking shows, and even competition cooking shows to see how other people prepare their foods.

So I figure, why not make a thread on here where I can post my tricks, tips, and recipes within the kitchen. Worst thing that can happen, is someone say they don't like my recipes and move on with their life. So over time I will share my things and if others want to use this to share great, if not the oh well. Also, this would help for me too because if I lose a recipe then I can just come here, CTRL+F it and then write it back down. So it's a win win for me.

Anyway, instead of just rambling on with my fingers; I figure I'd share a sampler recipe that isn't 100% made "from scratch" but is definitely unique enough that I can call it my own.

TexMex Meatloaf - Serves 6

1 lbs Ground Beef (I always go for 80/20... unless it's a burger, in which case it's 73/27)

1/2 lbs Chorizo

1 Large Egg

1 Cup of Bread Crumbs (Don't use panko or anything fancy. Just regular old cheap bread crumbs)

1 Batch of Taco Seasoning

My Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder

1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
I love my food to be quite spicy, and cayenne is my favorite spice. If you're sensitive to spice, I would tone it down to 1/4 teaspoon.

1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder

1/4 Dried Oregano

1/2 Teaspoon Paprika (I go for Hungarian, it's sweeter and balances out the heat of the cayenne)

1 teaspoon of Cumin

1 Teaspoon of Salt and Black Pepper

1 Cup of Taco Sauce (I've always used this recipe - Here)

Process: Preheat oven to 375 In a large bowl combine Ground Beef, Chorizo, Bread Crumbs, Egg, and Taco Seasoning. Using clean hands, mix the ingredients together being extra careful not to over mix. Transfer meat mixture into a loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes.

After the 35 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes and de-pan, placing onto a baking sheet. Brush the taco sauce on the edges of the loaf and continue baking for another 10 minutes, or until internal temperature of 165F (74C).

Having a party? Instead of baking a giant loaf, use a small spring loaded ice cream disher (or a spoon) and portion out meatballs and cook all the way through. Serve alongside taco sauce and sour cream to make it a great hit.

COOKING TIP
Do you currently live in a home where getting those nice grill marks on your oven grilled food isn't necessarily possible? Well, here's a tip. Buy a cheap round fully metal curling iron specifically for the kitchen. When you need those nice grill marks, after cooking your meat to the desired temperature simply heat up the iron and press it onto your steak make those nice marks you love so much. This trick is done by a lot of food photographers who love to highlight the great grill marks in their pictures and ads.

This latest update has taken longer than expected, mainly because of real life getting in the way (new job, kids going to school, new gf, etc etc) but alas here is something that I thought would be fun to pass along.

As a father and an uncle, I've often times got kids in my house. What parent doesn't? And a lot of times, kids like to help with cooking... And not just by throwing stuff in the pot or pan, but actually want to help cooking. But a lot of times, it becomes nerve wrecking to think about a child hurting themselves let alone getting dinner ready on time to even think about letting them help you. But at the same time, the less your child gets to help out in the kitchen the higher chances you'll see kids reject their home cooked food and demand the more high calories low health benefit foods... most likely handed to you out of the back window at your local golden arches.

So how do you get children into cooking? How do you prevent your kids from hurting themselves? How do you prevent hospital trips? Well the first step in doing so should be simple.

Do not start them with tasks that require knives. I know, it seems simple enough right? But it happens, and in today's world you have to make sure you REALLY drive home the common sense because it's been missing by a lot of people (most of them my age, admittedly). But at the same time, this can be quite confusing to some. How do I know if a knife is required or not? And that's fair. For example, cutting some hard vegetables like Carrots or Celery don't exactly require you to cut them. Allowing your child to simply break them into smaller pieces with their hands is a simple way to go about it, and if you need the vegetables any smaller than that then feel free to cut them yourself. Also, don't forget that there's also baking. Allowing your child to help when making cookies or cakes, which doesn't require knives; is a great way to get them started. But what about meats, fruits, soft vegetables, skinned vegetables, and everything in between? Well, obviously, you wouldn't want to let them cut them if they're around 8 years old or younger. But if they are older, then feel free to take up idea number two which is...

Get your child his/her own set of knives, cutting boards, and cutting station. Let's face it, your kitchen counter isn't high enough for a child to properly cut what he or she will need to cut. So why not get them a small cutting station to help them? Proper cutting boards and properly sized knives are also essential to aid them in getting the tasks done. I know, it's scary to think about, but in order for them to have proper cooking skills then they'll need to be able to learn. And the ages between 8-10 are great for learning and retaining information. Now let's be honest; your child won't be ready to slice meats or anything like that, but allowing them to cut a few shallots, carrots, celery, or even chop up some rosemary isn't too bad of an idea. Show your child the proper techniques of cutting and make sure they follow along as correctly as possible. But remember they're not pros, nor are they perfect so they're bound to cut themselves eventually.

And when they do, please do not panic. Accidents happen in the kitchen, a lot. Everyone is going to have an instant when they cut their finger while chopping. Your child will too. But do not panic. If it's a serious enough cut, simply call 911 or take them to the nearest hospital after properly treating it. If it's a minor cut, then simply clean and sanitize the cut, surface area, knives, and everything it touched... including yourself. The biggest advice I can give is to not get too worked up by an inevitable accident. Not to mention, if you make a big deal out of an accident in the kitchen, it could deter the child away from wanting to cook anymore in the future. And that's not okay. Everyone should be content with being in the kitchen, even if they're bound to get a cut or two.

But of course, at the end of the day, the only one who can decide when a child is ready to start using dangerous cutlery in the kitchen are the parents. If you don't find your self being comfortable when they're at a younger age, then don't do it. No, that's not contradictory. Because I really do want people to realize that it's perfectly fine to begin letting kids into the kitchen at younger ages rather than fearing it; however, parenting as it is can be very stressful and if this is something a parent wants to take time in doing then that's their right as a parent.

I hope these tips have helped some, and until next time remember; cooking is fun for everyone.

Do you have a good recipe for chicken? One that doesn't include tomatoes, my husband hates them, or onions my son hates them. I can use onion powder but that's it.

Sick and tired of doing fried chicken, plus looking for something a little healthier.

If you have a good chili recipe would love to try that as well. One that isn't too spicy. Husband and son don't like spicy. Both of them are a pain in the ass at times.

Do you have a good recipe for chicken? One that doesn't include tomatoes, my husband hates them, or onions my son hates them. I can use onion powder but that's it.

Sick and tired of doing fried chicken, plus looking for something a little healthier.

If you have a good chili recipe would love to try that as well. One that isn't too spicy. Husband and son don't like spicy. Both of them are a pain in the ass at times.

One thing I enjoy doing with Chicken and Bacon Carbonara ( Jar of sauce obviously) with some garlic bread. It isn't spicy which is a plus. You do have to fry the chicken obviously but I'm assuming that by saying sick of doing fried chicken you mean SFC.

What about salsa? An easy way to make healthy chicken is cover a chicken breast in salsa, bake accordingly and serve. I often put cheese on top for extra flavor. I'll also marinate the chicken in the salsa so the flavor soaks in a little.

Another good chicken marinade, besides the very common italian dressing, is that asian sweet and spicy sauce. I can't think of it's particular name off hand, but it's very versatile and usually a magenta-ish color. When used as a marinade it isn't spicy at all. I personally love it as a salad dressing. You can find it in most American grocery stores. Not sure about Canada.

Chicken breasts are much healthier than any other part of the chicken, and can stay that way as long as you're not slathering them with sauces and such. A little marinade and spices can go a long way. The right spices don't even need a marinade, but I prefer to put the spices on at least an hour on ahead of cooking if I don't use one, the same way you would with a marinade.

One thing I enjoy doing with Chicken and Bacon Carbonara ( Jar of sauce obviously) with some garlic bread. It isn't spicy which is a plus. You do have to fry the chicken obviously but I'm assuming that by saying sick of doing fried chicken you mean SFC.

When I say fried chicken, they love chicken wings, while I would rather do the meatier parts. With the limitations on what I can put on it's a pain. But I will try that idea thanks.

What about salsa? An easy way to make healthy chicken is cover a chicken breast in salsa, bake accordingly and serve. I often put cheese on top for extra flavor. I'll also marinate the chicken in the salsa so the flavor soaks in a little.

Another good chicken marinade, besides the very common italian dressing, is that asian sweet and spicy sauce. I can't think of it's particular name off hand, but it's very versatile and usually a magenta-ish color. When used as a marinade it isn't spicy at all. I personally love it as a salad dressing. You can find it in most American grocery stores. Not sure about Canada.

Chicken breasts are much healthier than any other part of the chicken, and can stay that way as long as you're not slathering them with sauces and such. A little marinade and spices can go a long way. The right spices don't even need a marinade, but I prefer to put the spices on at least an hour on ahead of cooking if I don't use one, the same way you would with a marinade.

I never thought about salsa, and I'll puree it so they don't get the chunks of tomato and onions. Will also take a look for that asian sauce. We have plum sauce here and sweet and sour, but that gets boring after a while. Usually end up making some sort of beef dish, but trying to stay away from red meat now.

Thanks to all will definitely take your advice, kind of tired making two meals a night after a long day at work. Gotta find something they'll both eat.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Ingredients
1 Pizza Crust 12in. (I cheat and buy pre-cooked packaged crust, but you can use your favorite dough)
2 Boneless Chicken Breasts Cooked and Shredded
2 Cups of Shredded Sharp Cheddar
1 Cup of Barbecue Sauce (I suggest a honey barbecue if your family doesn't like spicy)

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, place pie crust on a baking sheet. If it's not pre-cooked, do so yourself just to give your crust a head start and you won't burn your toppings
2. Coat the pizza crust with 1 cup of the barbecue sauce, top with shredded chicken and then sharp cheddar.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, let cool. If desired, drizzle extra sauce over the top.

Other toppings you could add
-Red Onions (even if just on "your half")
-Bacon Crumbles
-Pineapple
-Garlic Butter (around the edges of the crust)

As for a chili recipe, I'm still working on that one myself. When I get one that I'm comfortably happy with, I'll pass it along for you.

---

I have another recipe set to be posted just in time for Valentine's Day. I know, cheap plug. Hey, Mick Foley was one of my favorites what can I say?

It's been a while since I posted here. Forgot about it honestly. Anyway, today I will be cutting right to the chase. Ladies, gentlemen, smarks, and trolls... when we think of a pork chop or a chicken breast what do we think of? Moist? Succulence? Amazing tenderness? Well it pains me to say this, but unfortunately a lot of cooks these days fail to make a decent pork chop or a nice chicken breast because they don't take time to develop extra levels of flavor. What do I mean? It's simple. When you go to put your nice thick chop on the grill, or go to drench that bird in buttermilk and then coat it in flour, sure you'll season the outsides... everyone does. Usually something simple. Salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder or paprika. But that only puts flavor on the outside... leaving the rest of the meat to be dry, bland, and tasteless.

How do we stop this? Well, the answer is simple. Just like when you want to bring extra layers of flavor to the party with a marinade for steaks and other red meats, it's just as important to brine your white meats, so that the tenderness of the meat shines through and more flavor is developed. Trust me, I've seen really good chefs crumble because of and improper brine.. or lack there of.

I get it, brining takes time... usually at LEAST 3 hours. Who's going to wait 3 hours before cooking? And that's why the brine I've come up with is an all around "white meat" brine that can be used on Pork, Chicken, Turkey, Duck, and honestly even on some red meats like Lamb or Deer meat. However, I must warn you that you're going to need at least 1 hour of this brine to give off any level of flavor development.

Brine Solution (Serves 4 cuts of meat)

3 Cups of Water
1/2 Cup of Pickling Salt [Normal Sea Salt Works too]
1/4 Cup of White Corn Syrup
1 Tablespoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tablespoon of White Pepper [it's milder than black pepper and allows for red pepper to take more of the shine]
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Mesquite Liquid Smoke
Juice of 1 Lime
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Yellow Onion - I go with a rough cut, leaving big chunks. The brine will tear down some of the onion flavor and basically baste the meat with it.

Keep in mind, that after brining (like with all brines) you'll need to give a quick rinse and pat the meat dry before cooking to ensure even cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back