• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Rumor] Desmond Wolfe Won't Be Cleared to Wrestle Again?

Remix

Is a thin rope
http://www.gerweck.net/2011/04/22/tna-stars-in-ring-career-over/ said:
The word is that former Ring of Honor champion and TNA star Desmond Wolfe (Nigel McGuinness) will be working in the TNA office soon as he won’t be cleared to wrestle again.

Yes folks, it appears that Desmond Wolfe is going to hang up the boots for good. When he first disappeared, it was a mystery, and as time passed it slowly came out that he'd been having complications caused by previous trauma to the head and it appears that he's got no choice but to retire.

For me, this is kind of bittersweet. On the one hand he was a good wrestler, incredably charismatic and because of this London Brawling will never get their tag title shot. However at least he's not going to end up dying in the ring or sent to a nursing home before he's 50. The former of which will probably happen to his first feudee.

Ugh!

I adored this kid. This is really, really upsetting news, to be honest. As great as it'd be to see him continue working with TNA, the idea that he'll never wrestle again because of whatever injury he sustained just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of all the fans of his who wanted to see what he could really do with a full-time push.

I'm glad he's not gonna end up in a wheelchair or dead, but fuck, man, this blows if it is true...

:(

This fucking sucks big time. Wolfe is such a great talent and a complete package. He has the look, Really Good on the mic and Great in the ring I really thought that this guy would be a BIG Star for TNA. As a fan I wish I could've seen more from Wolfe but its good to know that he won't end up severely injured. I would still like to see Desmond used as maybe a commentator or manger.

:(

This fucking sucks big time. Wolfe is such a great talent and a complete package. He has the look, Really Good on the mic and Great in the ring I really thought that this guy would be a BIG Star for TNA. As a fan I wish I could've seen more from Wolfe but its good to know that he won't end up severely injured. I would still like to see Desmond used as maybe a commentator or manger.

This.

At the very least, keep him on television if you can! The guy has got phenomenal talent, especially on the verbal side of his character. I understand he could work backstage with other talents to help them do things they feel he excels at, but why not that and some kind of on-screen work, too?

He was an excellent talent, so much potential, this is truly a shame. I always enjoyed his work, he was good in the ring, enjoyable on the mic, good personality, he was the complete package. He had it all, really. It's sad that he never reached his true potential in TNA, he could have been a multiple time World Champion, undoubtedly. As has already been said, I hope he gets another chance, even if it's a minor role, as long as he gets to be an on-air personality. He has an interesting character, being a commentator, an interviewer, or anything like that, would really fit him.

Ah man. Easily had the potential of becoming a huge heel. I really would've loved to see him come back as Immortals true golden boy. It's a shame to see the career of such a young star be cut before his prime. As a silver lining, glad he'll have his health. And who knows. Shawn Michaels suffered a career ending back injury. That was not the case 4 years later. One could only hope.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. No way does he never wrestle again, this isn't the first time he's claimed he's retiring or quitting either. I don't know why he hasn't been cleared to wrestle since all the reports were that his health issues revolved around shoulder problems and some drug use, nothing career-ending. I'd literally be willing to bet hard cash this is not the last we've seen of Nigel in the ring. Him and Davey Richards seem to claim they're hanging the boots up every six months like clockwork and it never happens.

And if it is, well that just flat out sucks because he had/has all the tools necessary to be a huge star, and if the world were a just place he'd be in the spot Jeff Hardy was in, leading Immortal as a heel.

Oh and nowhere in that rumor you posted Remix does it say he's going to retire. It just says he hasn't been cleared to wrestle, which could just be a temporary thing.

Shit, I just saw this on gerweck a few minutes ago and was on my way to make this thread. So, I repeat. Shit.

If this is true, then it's a real shame because I liked this guy a whole lot. Desmond Wolfe had star written all over him and it pained me to see how he was used after Hogan & Bischoff came to TNA.

I'm always sort of dubious whenever I hear about something like this. For instance, there aren't any details in this report on gerwck as to why he won't be cleared to wrestle again. It's just so generally vague that it immediately raises suspicions.

IF, and I do mean IF, we've seen the last of him inside a ring, for whatever reason, then it's a goddamn shame.

I don't know if this is true or not but if it is, between this post and the one on Dixie Carter that's Twice the message board has scooped Wrestle Zone.

This would be a shame if true, he was actually a good wrestler with mic skills.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. No way does he never wrestle again, this isn't the first time he's claimed he's retiring or quitting either. I don't know why he hasn't been cleared to wrestle since all the reports were that his health issues revolved around shoulder problems and some drug use, nothing career-ending. I'd literally be willing to bet hard cash this is not the last we've seen of Nigel in the ring. Him and Davey Richards seem to claim they're hanging the boots up every six months like clockwork and it never happens.

I seem to remember there being a phone interview where he talked about his head trauma which sparked up a fair amount of discussion back in October.

And seriously, when was the last time Wolfe was even in the ring? If you're not wrestling anyway, suddenly retirement seems a lot more believable.

Oh and nowhere in that rumor you posted Remix does it say he's going to retire. It just says he hasn't been cleared to wrestle, which could just be a temporary thing.

It says that he won't be cleared to wrestle again. Which does change the meaning of the sentence a lot. And the fact that TNA are giving him an office job instead of new attire does add credability to him actually ending his career.

I seem to remember there being a phone interview where he talked about his head trauma which sparked up a fair amount of discussion back in October.

And seriously, when was the last time Wolfe was even in the ring? If you're not wrestling anyway, suddenly retirement seems a lot more believable.

I heard he wasn't wrestling because he was having drug issues actually and TNA didn't want to bring him back until he had gotten over them.

It says that he won't be cleared to wrestle again. Which does change the meaning of the sentence a lot. And the fact that TNA are giving him an office job instead of new attire does add credability to him actually ending his career.

Yes, it says he "won't be cleared to wrestle again" IN TNA. That's just TNA.

Like I said, I'd be willing to bet real money he has absolutely not wrestled his last match.

This is very sad...he never got the chance to really get going. He had some talent, hopefully he'll be able to use it in another role. Best of luck for him in his new role!

I really hope this isn't true, though if it is a health issue it's not worth risking him getting back in the ring. I had the chance to meet him roughly a year ago at a 1PW show here in England and he was incredible polite and friendly. There was a Q&A session before the show with him, beer money and Doug Williams and he seemed to be the only one that really wanted to answer the fans questions and his love for the business really shone through. I honestly wish him the best whatever his future holds, in or out of the ring.

It's sad to hear as a wrestling fan but I'm glad to see he's being smart enough to know enough is enough and that he can't keep on going if this is the case. Hugely talented guy and if TNA are smart he could be very useful for them backstage.

I heard he wasn't wrestling because he was having drug issues actually and TNA didn't want to bring him back until he had gotten over them.

Yes. The company that signed Jeff Hardy after he got found with enough drugs to get charged with trafficing opiates, let him wrestle after being found in a bathroom drugged out of his mind, signed Kurt Angle straight after he chose the "fired" option of a "go to rehab or you're fired" ultimatum REALLY cares about wrestler's drug problems, rarely does drug tests and doesn't seem to do anything with the results REALLY cares about employees drug issues.

Yes, it says he "won't be cleared to wrestle again" IN TNA. That's just TNA.

It doesn't say anything about TNA other than that they're giving him a desk job. It doesn't say that he'll never be cleared again IN TNA. It says he'll never be cleared again period.

And last I checked, if you aren't cleared to work in TNA you're unlikely to get cleared to work anywhere else either. Seeing as longer matches (which he'd be doing on the indies) + stiff opponents (seem to be more common on the indies) =/= good at the best of times and disasterous if he is having concussion related problems.

Like I said, I'd be willing to bet real money he has absolutely not wrestled his last match.

I won't take you up on that. Because even guys who actually retire have the one odd match which would win you the bet.

I hope it isn't true because like everyone has said before, Wolfe is a tremendous talent and a rising star. He hasn't even begun to reach his full potential yet. I just want to see him wrestle again, regardless of what company it is for. If he is retired from wrestling and is working a backstage role in TNA, then I hope TNA will use him as a manager or even a commentator. He could be in Immortal's corner or be the manager for the British Invasion, a team that should be the top heel team in TNA at the moment.

I hope this is just a rumor. I would love to see some dream matches with Wolfe and Styles or Daniels. Wolfe vs. Angle would be sweet too.

Sad news, because he really could've had a good run in TNA. But, let's look at it another way: TNA needs someone to represent The Network right? And he could play it 2 ways-he could feud with Hogan/Bischoff, or he could take out his grudge against Fortune for kicking him out of the group. Sure, it might not make complete sense to have him be The NEtwork rep, but does anything in TNA make complete sense? You could pick far worse guys to have significant screen & mic time.

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Wolfe was scheduled to reform his partnership with Magnus late last year, but Douglas Williams was given the spot instead. Company officials have had plans for the former ROH World Champion to return, including this week, but they have yet to materialize. Wolfe is currently appearing for various community theaters in Central Florida and working on writing projects.
Well according to this report from The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Desmond Wolfe is not only not retiring but there were plans to even return him this week. I don't know which report to believe but I'm hopeful that Desmond won't retire and that we get to see him soon.

Yes. The company that signed Jeff Hardy after he got found with enough drugs to get charged with trafficing opiates, let him wrestle after being found in a bathroom drugged out of his mind, signed Kurt Angle straight after he chose the "fired" option of a "go to rehab or you're fired" ultimatum REALLY cares about wrestler's drug problems, rarely does drug tests and doesn't seem to do anything with the results REALLY cares about employees drug issues.

Big difference between Angle/Hardy and Nigel. Angle and Hardy are seen as their two biggest draws basically, whereas Nigel was seen as a jobber pretty much the moment his Angle feud ended. Unlike Jeff and Kurt, he's seen as expendable. Like I said though, I had heard it was a combination of drug issues and nagging injuries, I didn't say it was only because of drug issues.

It doesn't say anything about TNA other than that they're giving him a desk job. It doesn't say that he'll never be cleared again IN TNA. It says he'll never be cleared again period.

It absolutely does not say that. It says he's going to work in the front office as he won't be cleared to wrestle again, clearly implying that he won't be cleared to wrestle in TNA again.

And last I checked, if you aren't cleared to work in TNA you're unlikely to get cleared to work anywhere else either. Seeing as longer matches (which he'd be doing on the indies) + stiff opponents (seem to be more common on the indies) =/= good at the best of times and disasterous if he is having concussion related problems.

You're extremely naive if you think wrestlers can't go out and get work without clearance from a doctor. It's a daily thing in the indies in the US and abroad, so no, not being cleared to wrestle in TNA does not mean he won't be able to get work anywhere else. He could work a dozen indies tomorrow with a couple of phone calls.

And now the Observer is reporting this is bullshit. Think I'll take the Observer's word here over Gerweck's.

Personally, I hope the best for him. But I wonder where/when did this injury happen? What specifically was the cause?

Also wondering what would've happened if he stayed with the WWE jump when he had the chance/choice...just curious.

I hope it's not true, as he's a great talent.

His run with Angle was immense.

I think he would make a great trainer for the younger wrestlers. Does TNA have an academy?

Well if it's true, it's a massive shame. He's one of my favourite wrestlers in TNA. To be fair he hasn't been on TV in ages anyway. I believe they filmed a segment where he saved Douglas Williams from an AJ Styles beat down in December, but it never made TV. Anyway he had all of the tools to make it big. Great in the ring, great on the mic. I was watching his stuff with Kurt Angle earlier today and it really was top quality. If he can't wrestle, he should be kept on TV in some capacity. He'd make either a great heel commentator, or a fantastic heel manager. Why not have him manage the returning British Invasion? It would make sense.

A few months ago I expected him to see out his contract, and go elsewhere. To a company who maybe doesn't take medical clearance too seriously. He could probably get the strap in whatever shitty promotion it was that sent Scott Hall out the other week.

Such a shame. His 3 Stage of Hell match with Kurt Angle at Lockdown 2009 was one of the best matches I have seen in years and I have not seen one of such high quality since. The guy was a rare gem whose career was cut too short. At least he has his health.

Thank you ROH! For ruining such a great talent.

Sad to see his career go down like that. You never know if he'll come back and I hope he pulls an HBK and does return to pro wrestling, anywhere.

Posted by PWPIX on 04/22/2011
-- Hulk Hogan addressed Desmond Wolfe's status with TNA Wrestling last week on Twitter, writing, "Desmond's situation is beyond TNA’s control, the ball is completely in his court." However, the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter indicates otherwise.

Wolfe was scheduled to reform his partnership with Magnus late last year, but Douglas Williams was given the spot instead. Company officials have had plans for the former ROH World Champion to return, including this week, but they have yet to materialize.

Wolfe is currently appearing for various community theaters in Central Florida and working on writing projects.

Im with X on this one, i call bullshit on the rumor, i believe its more to do with TNA's booking of Wolfe's character, what i do find strange however is Wolfe's disappearence, he has not been working for any indy companies, no appearences in ring of honor or anyone, so their maybe some truth to this, but not to the length of the article that you previously stated.

and if you look at my article above no reason has been given to wolfes disappearence, no injury, disciplinary action, nothing, so we need to get a little more information on this before we attempt to make any judgements on wolfes career as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back