Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
eternalsunshinevjp_zps258ad7ec.jpg

Round 1: Jurassic Park vs. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Polls will close on Saturday, October 20 at 12:00am(ish) ET.​

I could watch Jurassic Park over and over and over again. As a matter of fact, I think I might watch it tonight given that I have time.

I have to vote for it because it is one of my favorites. The thrill and entertainment factors alone are enough to take this movie to the end. Eternal Sunshine was ehh. I hardly remember watching it. Never got into it enough to care.

Vote Jurassic Park.

Eternal Sunshine is one of the most beautiful ideas for a film ever. Its gloriously made, the acting is phenominal, the production is unbelievable. Its one of my favourites and one of the very few I've bought on DVD.

But Jurassic Park? Its been millions of years since humans have been afraid of dinosaurs. And I had a cool glow in the dark JP watch.

Vote Jurassic Park, but watch the other movie too.

They're both brilliant films but, as I've said elsewhere, give me a film with intelligence and a point and that's where I'll vote.
There are very few films that are quite as brilliant and smart as Eternal Sunshine. I'm not even sure how to describe it beyond it's basic plot.
Guy meets Girl, they fall in love, they break apart, she petulantly decides to have him wiped from her memory, upon finding out he does the same. From then on it gets complicated as the process works backwards, removing the breakdown of their relationship and leading the guy to remember why he loved the girl in the first place. What follows is a race to hold onto what you love as it's literally disappearing from your mind.
Eternal Sunshine also features what is probably my favourite scene in any film ever that I'm now going to spoil for you all.
After the wiping process is complete, Guy and Girl meet up again, not really knowing how or why and find the same connection they had original. And that's when the shit hits the fan as a pre-wiping voice recording interview turns up, with Girl explaining why she wanted Guy removed from her memory. The new couple stand in a hallway listening to both their past and the future, wondering if there is any point if it all ends in pain.

I'm not going to write anything about Jurassic Park, it's a great film but nothing comes close to the genius of that 1 brilliantly setup scene.

Jurassic Park is only great for 2 reasons: The special effects team and Raptors. If you take those 2 things out it could have been just any other old Sci Fi film about dinosaurs.

Well, that and Jeff Goldblum's smart ass remarks.

Eternal Sunshine is a very unique idea that translated well to the screen. The acting was spot on and Jim Carrey departed from his normal schtick to bring to life a very depressing character. The concept was able to hit home with a wide audience and didnt cater to just a certain demographic.

I can imagine running away from big scary dinosaurs, but I can actually relate to holding on to the memory of a loved one. Eternal Sunshine pulled me in to the film and made me feel what the characters felt. The cast played their parts well and it wasnt exactly predictable in terms of plot. That is the sign of a good movie. Jurassic Park was just eye candy and I was just waiting for people to get eaten. That is just a way to pass some time and nothing of real substance or surprise took place. You could basically tell where it was headed.

Eternal Sunshine gets my vote.

Jurassic Park is only great for 2 reasons: The special effects team and Raptors. If you take those 2 things out it could have been just any other old Sci Fi film about dinosaurs. Well, that and Jeff Goldblum's smart ass remarks.
The special effects were pretty phenomenal... I mean, to the point where I haven't seen a modern movie with dinosaurs that impressed me more. Visually, it still holds almost 20 years later. Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum, while neither are anything outstanding on their own, make sure a great on-screen pairing. And of course having Crichton himself write the screenplay helped.

Eternal Sunshine is a very unique idea that translated well to the screen. The acting was spot on and Jim Carrey departed from his normal schtick to bring to life a very depressing character.
I have to agree. OUtside of maybe the Truman Show, this was Carrey's best non-comedy performance.

concept was able to hit home with a wide audience and didnt cater to just a certain demographic.
Poor argument. JP generated 5x more at the box office, 10 years sooner.

I can imagine running away from big scary dinosaurs, but I can actually relate to holding on to the memory of a loved one. Eternal Sunshine pulled me in to the film and made me feel what the characters felt.
I can relate very well to the drama of the situation in Eternal Sunshine. That being said, my entire childhood I was TERRIFIED that a T-Rex was going to come stomping through my house, or that raptors would open my door (because you know, they can do that!?!) and eat me in the most excruciating way possible.

The cast played their parts well and it wasnt exactly predictable in terms of plot. That is the sign of a good movie. Jurassic Park was just eye candy and I was just waiting for people to get eaten. That is just a way to pass some time and nothing of real substance or surprise took place. You could basically tell where it was headed.
I don't know, I was frightened for the kids when they were hanging off the edge of the t-rex exhibit, about to fall to their doom. I could empathize with Sam Neil's struggle to keep them alive.

I downloaded Eternal Sunshine last night (I voted for Jurassic Park before polls closed) and I 100% stick with my original vote. Eternal Sunshine was a nice movie and Jim Carrey was very likeable, but in no way does it compare to Jurassic Park - which was a very innovative movie for its time.

The plot was too far fetched, the plot holes were ridiculous and I didn't care for Kate Winslet or the sub plot. Just Jim Carrey dragging the girl from memory to memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back