Rookie/Newcomer of the Year

Who Was the Rookie/Newcomer of the Year in 2017?

• Lars Sullivan

• Aleister Black

• Velveteen Dream

• Pete Dunne

• Tyler Bate

• Samoa Joe

• Fabian Aichner

• Kairi Sane

• Shinsuke Nakamura

Results are only viewable after voting.
Samoa Joe is probably the right answer, from the concept of 2017 being his first official year on the WWE's main roster. Though he's been in the eye of mainstream wrestling for a while now. Kairi Sane is probably a better choice, as she was a virtual unknown to most mainstream wrestling fans in the West, and made a name for herself by winning the Mae Young Classic. I'm giving her my vote.

Out of all these I'll have to go with Black. Dude can easily be the next Undertaker or better. He has it all for a new wrestler in the business. WWE will probably turn him into Aleister Black The Accountant when he hits the main roster though.

I always try to go with someone who wasn't a name in another company and then jumped to WWE. Like just because LeBron left Cleveland to go to Miami at one point didn't make him eligible to win Rookie of the Year again. Everyone knew who Joe was, and Sane was a name in Japan. Even Black had built a rep on the European scene as Tommy End. Lars Sullivan literally came from out of nowhere this year and is evolving into one of the best monsters in recent memory.

Yaz hit it on the head on this one for me. I can't call Samoa Joe a newcomer or a Rookie. The guy has been a known commodity on national/global television for 13 years. All of the other people have been known on the independent scene for a while too, to the point that when they sign with WWE the peoples on this here forum are ecstatic. Kairi Sane, Nakamura, Aleister Black, Dunne, and Bate all were discussed on here prior to debuting. Hell even Velveteen Dream was on Tough Enough and wrestled sporadically as Patrick Clark on NXT TV before becoming Velveteen.

Literally no one here said a word about Lars Sullivan before he had his first appearance after Mania. It was "who is this guy" which quickly turned into "holy shit this guys awesome". That's a newcomer, and that's my vote.

Well I picked Samoa Joe since it said Rookie or Newcomer to a Show. Joe dominated even in loses and had two main events that also featured Brock Lesnar. Hopefully Joe gets a title reign in the upcoming year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back