Rollins' Corkscrew Moonsault / Phoenix Splash

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
For those of you who saw the WWEWHC match at the Royal Rumble, yoou will remember the amazing moment where Rollins went to the top rope and performed a corkscrew moonsault on John Cena. The move was really impressive. Yesterday on Raw, Cole interviewed Seth about this move, and Rollins called it "the Phoenix Splash".

Even though the move looks amazing, it also seems dangerous, and here comes my question. Should Seth start using this move on a more regular basis? Maybe as a second signature, or a second finisher, switching between the Curb Stomp and the Phoenix Splash? From a logic standpoind, if the opponent is laying on their back, he would use the splash, otherwise he would use the stomp. Or, should he use this move on very very special occasions, like others use maybe the piledriver?

I will make a reference to a match between Cm Punk and John Cena on Raw in 2013. Both men went out of their usual 5 moves of doom and they used a piledriver and a powerbomb respectively. It made the match so match better, because those are two moves that we don't usually see, at least not out of these two guys.

What if Seth used the PS let's say 3-4 times per year? We know that the move is there, but only used in high-profile critical situations, making it even more high-risk and raising the stakes, highlighting the importance of the moment. I believe it would be a really cool moment if he won his WM match or his cash-in match with a CS, followed by the PS.

EDIT: Of course, all of the above about performing a move very rarely comes from WWE's wrestling style, where now if you use a finishing move, your opponent is probably gonna kick out, so it's not a finishing move. Having very rare go-to moves, instead of trying to perform the same finisher all the time, seems like a really nice way to have a match ended for sure.

I think that Seth should have this move as a very rare go-to move. Same as Sheamus has the celtic cross. It really creates tension.

He called it the Phoenix splash as that's what it is called. It's not a new move: Low Ki was performing it on WWE Metal shows against Essa Rios in 2001 (I'm not kidding) for example, and I'm pretty sure it was Rollins' finisher in Ring of Honor.

As for its use by Rollins, I'd agree that he should only pull it out on special occasions. Wrestlers adding to their repertoires adds dimensions and drama to their matches, especially when they have tried all their usual big moves to no avail. But if Rollins utilised the Phoenix Splash all the time, it wouldn't feel special anymore, whereas it should be presented as a special move.

The great Hayabusa made that move famous. And 100% sure that Rollins adopted it as a tribute to him, as a matter of fact rollins has a similar (less risky) wrestling style to hayabusa.

Yeah he should use this move not too often and not as a finisher when the wrestler is laying on his back or whatever. It can be used as a hard core move or like a Piledriver for Kane (Like two years back not talking about the Current Corporate shit).

And when he turns face at some point he can use it as his finisher instead of Curb stomp. Curb stomp should get sold like its a devastating move just like Punt kick. So when he turns face he should drop Curb stomp and use Phoenix Splash instead.

Again, a precursor to his unintentional face turn. With the fans turning on Reigns, Rollins is the literal plan B.

Furthermore, he will get added the the main event with Reigns & Lesnar. It is the only way to get a decent match out of these two.

Or dare I say it... ach... Cena

It looked fantastic and would be a good additional finisher should he turn face as the curb stomp won't be viable then.

I don't think Rollins should turn though, somehow get him to take the belt off Lesnar before WM and set up a triple threat between Ambrose he and Reigns. With Rollins as the obvious heel and Ambrose as the obvious face, let Reigns become heel or face organically.

Still do Lesnar vs Bryan at WM, just without the belt involved and I think that gives you a great main event plus an excellent undercard match which will somewhat sedate the fans who are not behind Reigns / Lesnar.

The Phoenix Splash is an incredible move, so spectacular! I was watching with a friend and he couldn't believe it when Rollins pulled out the move, he'd never seen anyone do it before. I knew what it was, but I was shocked to see it on a WWE show, it's very dangerous.

I think we will see Rollins use it again in the future, in big matches where the reward is worth the risk for him. There isn't anyone who'd be kicking out if Seth landed the move properly. It won't be a regular move though, it's very risky and he'll continue to use the Curb Stomp- which I didn't like at first but now opponents are selling it alot better. I think it's a great finishing move!

I think that the Phoenix Splash should be used maybe 3 times a year, tops..Less is more with that move..It's a great move, hence save it for Wrestlemania/a TLC ladder match.

Seeing as how Rollins uses the Curb Stomp and once in awhile the Sethwalker(which are both really good finishers for him), I've been thinking..In my opinion, it'd be a great idea for Rollins to start using God's Last Gift again as a finisher against wrestlers smaller than him/the same size as him..It used to be one of his finishers in ROH(along with the Phoenix Splash)..It's a great, impactful move and I've barely ever seen him botch it.

Here's a clip of God's Last Gift in the video below..Fast forward to 1:22 to see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_mcEJUT9L0

He should only use it as a last resort in big matches... especially while he's a heel.

It's a babyface move, and since he's basically the top heel in the company (depending on whether you consider Lesner a heel or a tweener now). He's gotta be careful about not doing too much to change that.

For a heel, the curb stomp is perfect.

Yeah I think it's a move he should only pull out on special occasions such as big title matches or whatever. Sorta like AJ Styles in TNA with the Spiral Tap. Such a cool move but he only did it maybe once a year if that and when he did it was awesome and exciting and led to him winning the match. I actually think he won quite a few of his world titles over there with it. So yeah curb stomp most of the time, Phoenix Splash in your back pocket for big moments

Rollins is the real deal, the absolutely standard bearer for in ring work in the WWE today. I mean nobody else comes close, his style is really one of the best and he's grown by leaps and bounds as a character as a heel character. I knew he would and he got a genuine reaction out of me the moment he stabbed Reigns and Ambrose in the back. People weren't willing to give him a chance as a heel but he's flourished in that role and he's the top heel today. It's great to see faith in a guy rewarded.

That phoenix splash, as it's called, was a thing of beauty and it'll always be in fans mind of when he'll next break it out. Great moment to debut it to a larger audience. Fans wanna know what else he has in his arsenal. Many more classic Rollins matches to come. I follow him on twitter and instagram and he's always at a crossfit, the guy just does his job and doesn't drag his fans into situations to fight his battles for him. Class act.

I've always been a fan of the Phoenix Splash. The first time I'd ever seen it done was when Blitzkrieg had his debut match on WCW Nitro years ago. I started getting in FMW and watching Hayabusa and his feud with Mr. Gannosuke. Hayabusa definitely made that move look great. It's a great move and shocked a lot of people when they saw it.

Was the amazing part when he missed making contact with John Cena? Or was the amazing part when the bad guy in the match used terrible psychology by performing a crowd popping move?

I'm sorry, it wasn't amazing and it wasn't awesome. It was an impressive feat of athleticism, but it was terrible in the context of pro wrestling.

Was the amazing part when he missed making contact with John Cena? Or was the amazing part when the bad guy in the match used terrible psychology by performing a crowd popping move?

I'm sorry, it wasn't amazing and it wasn't awesome. It was an impressive feat of athleticism, but it was terrible in the context of pro wrestling.

He also coast-to-coasted to the announcer's table. I thought he came out of the match looking awesome. Yes it was a face move, but I think after weeks of ducking fights, his job was to prove when it came down to it there's a reason he is so highly rated.

Why are people acting so surprised? I'm pretty sure Adrian Neville uses it as his regular finisher.

Pretty big differences between the Red Arrow and the PS. Both are amazing moves but really quite different from each other. Go check them out again on the network/youtube and if you still think they're the same I really don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

He also coast-to-coasted to the announcer's table.
Yes, another terrible spot of heel psychology.

I thought he came out of the match looking awesome. Yes it was a face move, but I think after weeks of ducking fights, his job was to prove when it came down to it there's a reason he is so highly rated.
No...no it's not. In fact, that's the opposite of what is character should be doing. He is the Authority's boy, his job is to keep sneaking into matches he doesn't really deserve. John Cena had already crashed Lesnar into the barricade, so the rib injury storyline could have progressed...there was no reason for Rollins to do a high spot.

To be clear, I don't guess I really blame Rollins all that much, heel psychology went out the windows a long time ago in pro wrestling. But it still was a terrible idea, from a pure wrestling standpoint.

Yes, another terrible spot of heel psychology.

No...no it's not. In fact, that's the opposite of what is character should be doing. He is the Authority's boy, his job is to keep sneaking into matches he doesn't really deserve. John Cena had already crashed Lesnar into the barricade, so the rib injury storyline could have progressed...there was no reason for Rollins to do a high spot.

To be clear, I don't guess I really blame Rollins all that much, heel psychology went out the windows a long time ago in pro wrestling. But it still was a terrible idea, from a pure wrestling standpoint.

Yeah, I am a Rollins mark though, so the fact he did so well and had great spots doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does you. I'm gonna take your word for this though, as I am looking at it through rose Rollins tinted glasses.

It's no more dangerous than any other top rope move. I don't think he should do it more often, then it loses it's appeal. He should use it in big matches almost like a "super finisher" is what I call them (Burning Hammer, etc).

As far as people talking about proper heel psychology....the guy gets all kinds of cheers. It's 2015, not 1985. Like HHH said tonight, you have to work the work. Everyone is smart. Rollins can simultaneously be a chicken shit, do cool spots, and get cheered. That's why wrestling is fun.

Yeah, I am a Rollins mark though
So you mark for bad people who lie and cheat their way into what they want.

Good to know.

so the fact he did so well and had great spots doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does you.
Well, I'm a fan of pro wrestling, so I guess that's the difference between us.

I'm gonna take your word for this though, as I am looking at it through rose Rollins tinted glasses.
Fair enough. I do appreciate the fact you recognize your own bias on this. That's much better than what most fans do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back