• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roddy Piper passes at age 61

A random Rowdy Roddy Piper memory. Piper is in the ring on the mic...he's blasting somebody ( can't remember who ) a fan gets involved who is pro- Hogan ...Cena or somebody Piper doesn't like...when the fan tries to leave the ring Piper grabs his legs but one of the guys legs comes right off in Pipers hands....the classic Piper trying to look innocent while being shocked expression was priceless.

A random Rowdy Roddy Piper memory. Piper is in the ring on the mic...he's blasting somebody ( can't remember who ) a fan gets involved who is pro- Hogan ...Cena or somebody Piper doesn't like...when the fan tries to leave the ring Piper grabs his legs but one of the guys legs comes right off in Pipers hands....the classic Piper trying to look innocent while being shocked expression was priceless.

[YOUTUBE]57WwY_8VVWk[/YOUTUBE]

A brilliant segment, I shall miss Piper. May he RIP.

I am truly saddened by his death I truly am my gf's friend cried during our outing supper dinner but the news saddened me when I got home it hit me hard cause I still own his They Live movie and it was better than V in my opinion!

I cried and cried I even said he was an ICON but I take it back he was a LEGEND in my eyes ! It s a touching story which brought tears down to me as you captivated your honesty and admiration as a true fan and not as a stalker and Roderick was touched by your honesty feedback and compliments and englightenment. I went to pro wrestling school cause of Piper and Randy Macho Man Savage!

I would like to see Raw start next week with the entire roster in the aisle. A moment's silence followed by a ten bell salute, and Piper's face on the Titantron, followed by bagpipes playing.

I wonder who will attend Piper's funeral.

If Austin goes, he is a hypocrite, as he was the one who got Piper stripped of his Legends contract, because Piper's podcast guest "went there".

Also, wonder if Hogan will go, since it would mean being in the same place as Vince and co, who got him fired. Can tensions cease for the day, or will things still be cold between Hulk and Vince?

I grew up in the time where Piper was at his peak in the WWF. He was one of those wrestlers who you didn't need to give a world title to in order to get them a fan reaction because Roddy ALWAYS got a fan reaction.

I want to say Piper and Greg Valentine are the only 2 wrestlers ever to be in the first Starrcade and Wrestlemania, but I could be wrong.

He was the first rubber action figure in my collection. Like people have said, he made being heel cool.

Lost a piece of my childhood today. RIP Hot Rod.

I think Junkyard Dog was at both as well.

I wonder who will attend Piper's funeral.

If Austin goes, he is a hypocrite, as he was the one who got Piper stripped of his Legends contract, because Piper's podcast guest "went there".

Also, wonder if Hogan will go, since it would mean being in the same place as Vince and co, who got him fired. Can tensions cease for the day, or will things still be cold between Hulk and Vince?

I dont think things are cold between Hulk and Vince. Vince just did what he had to do from a business standpoint to save face for the company. The man doesnt need any negative press as he's done a good job cleaning up the company the past several years. I highly doubt its personal.

But back to Piper...it really is shocking. Nobody is ever prepared for death...and the man seemed truly loved by his peers. Im sure his funeral will be massive. If Austin goes he's not being a hypocrite...he's just paying his respects to one of the boys, an iconic one at that.

RIP Hot Rod

I dont think things are cold between Hulk and Vince. Vince just did what he had to do from a business standpoint to save face for the company. The man doesnt need any negative press as he's done a good job cleaning up the company the past several years. I highly doubt its personal.

But back to Piper...it really is shocking. Nobody is ever prepared for death...and the man seemed truly loved by his peers. Im sure his funeral will be massive. If Austin goes he's not being a hypocrite...he's just paying his respects to one of the boys, an iconic one at that.

RIP Hot Rod

With Vince, it's always personal.

I think deep down, Vince never forgave Hogan for implicating him in the steroids trial in the 90's.

Second, Hogan went to WCW , and played a bit part in the "Monday Night Wars" bringing down the WWE. Vince probably saw that as betrayal.

Sure, they worked together again. But they were using each other for mutual benefit by then. Vince hated Hogan, but he made money, so Vince brought him back.

Also, I bet Vince couldn't wait to kick Hogan out of the "HOF". According to "Power Slam" magazine, Hogan asked to be paid to be inducted into the HoF, and would refuse permission if the price wasn't right, knowing that WWE couldn't have a HoF without its biggest ever star. So this would have irked Vince, and he may have removed him for more reasons than the current situation.

I think that Hogan's current situation may be part of why he was sacked, but I bet that Vince wasn't totally unhappy to make Hogan pay for his politicking all these years. There was more than one reason Vince removed him from WWE, and Hogan saying the N word was a way to do it, and make it look more PR-favourable.

Piper was another one Vince didn't always get along with. Piper lost his Legends contract recently for crossing management, and was known to be outspoken and critical of certain decisions that WWE made during that time.
I just hope that WWE honors him properly, and isn't an exercise in insincerity like it was with "Macho Man", who Vince also had a problem with.

RIP legend. :(

One of the best heels and maybe best wrestler in movie roll because he was the star of great movie "They Live".

[youtube]gDKdHuyQpHY[/youtube]

I also saw him in an episode of a police show called "Cold Case", where he played an ex-wrestler (but wasn't called "Rowdy" Roddy Piper).

hot rod will be missed one off my favourites growing up.

what made me think off something special was that he played a Scottish character, and I thought he was Scottish, and my grandparents where both jocks so they liked him because off his kilt wearing and the bagpipes music

I will never forget the pop he got when he cam down the step at the battle royal in the royal albert hall

Second, Hogan went to WCW , and played a bit part in the "Monday Night Wars" bringing down the WWE. Vince probably saw that as betrayal.

Having read accounts of what brought Hogan to WCW, I would have felt the same as McMahon. If Hogan truly did promise McMahon he would never wrestle anywhere but WWE, that must have hurt Vince like hell.

Similarly, I felt bad seeing Piper show up in WCW and wondered how it came about. If it was simply a matter of money.....then that's what it was, yet I truly thought Piper would never work on a major competitor's shows, although it seemed harmless enough to have him lend a hand to small independent promotions close to his home.

Yes, I know....this is apparently a tribute thread for Roddy Piper and we're supposed to behave as if he were wrestling's version of heaven on Earth. Personally, I loved what he did during his active career and after. He was a true original and I don't know that there will ever be another like him.

Still, I was bugged watching him on WCW TV screens and would have been interested to know if he had given a Vince a chance to bid for his services or whether Eric Bischoff simply lured Roddy by offering one of his astronomically excessive money contracts.

Having read accounts of what brought Hogan to WCW, I would have felt the same as McMahon. If Hogan truly did promise McMahon he would never wrestle anywhere but WWE, that must have hurt Vince like hell.

Similarly, I felt bad seeing Piper show up in WCW and wondered how it came about. If it was simply a matter of money.....then that's what it was, yet I truly thought Piper would never work on a major competitor's shows, although it seemed harmless enough to have him lend a hand to small independent promotions close to his home.

Yes, I know....this is apparently a tribute thread for Roddy Piper and we're supposed to behave as if he were wrestling's version of heaven on Earth. Personally, I loved what he did during his active career and after. He was a true original and I don't know that there will ever be another like him.

Still, I was bugged watching him on WCW TV screens and would have been interested to know if he had given a Vince a chance to bid for his services or whether Eric Bischoff simply lured Roddy by offering one of his astronomically excessive money contracts.

Piper was paid good money, and he didn't have to wrestle full time, just hot shot some angles, including the reveal of Bischoff as being the real power broker of the NwO, which was a great swerve. Also, he got to work again with Hogan (who actually put him over, albeit in a non title match) and Flair (one of closest friends in the industry dating back to very early 80s before Flair was Champ and Piper went to WWE) which had to be a big appeal.

Piper was definitely one of the all time best, terrific at working a crowd and coming up with improvised spots, either in the ring or on the mic, to liven up and energize the audience. Along with guys like Flair & Dusty he was one the greatest mic guys of all time.

When you look at the explosion in mass appeal and it's entrance into the mainstream of American Entertainment Culture, Piper was easily one of the four or 5 biggest reasons among performers that pro wrestling achieved the status it did in the 80s. When you look back at so many great performers and angles across the various promotions from The Freebirds & Von Erichs, Ricky Steamboat, The Road Warriors, Midnight Express, Rock & Roll Express, Magnum TA, Nikita Kolloff, Sgt Slaughter, Ted DiBiase, Hart Foundation, and so many more, there a handful of entertainers who were so huge, so transformative, that captivated the audience more than anyone else. Piper was in that group in that era alongside Flair, Savage, Dusty, & Andre (I left out stars such Ultimate Warrior, Sting, & Lex Luger as they came very late in the decade after the pro wrestling explosion took hold nationwide).

Hogan easily tops that list but Piper was special because he was catalyst for Hogan's rise. Every great hero needs an equally great adversary or fans are not interested. This is why James Bond goes after international terrorists and corrupt billionaire capitalists bent on dominating the world instead of your run of the mill random drug dealer. The cartoon villains opposing the likes of Batman & Super Man are so much bigger than everyone else it literally takes a "Super Hero" to thwart them. Piper was the lead villain and perfect foil to oppose Hogan and his all things good 80s hero character. He was vindictive, unpredictable, crazy, and hugely entertaining on the mic & in the ring. Much like Dusty Rhodes hard working family man underdog was the perfect opposition for the selfish, womanizing, hard partying cheater Ric Flair, Piper was the crazed dog only someone as great as Hogan could put down. Piper did more to build up Hogan as his arch nemesis early in his tenure as Champ than anyone, and unlike many other Hogan foes who were built up only to be taken down, he sustained, and remained wildly popular even after their feud was done. Hogan (and by extension WWE) wouldnt have the same level of success initially without Piper's work, just like Flair probably doesn't get over as quickly or as well without the constant spectre of Rhodes haunting him. Piper helped take Hogan's character to a new level, and while Hogan clearly sits on top of a short list of mega stars who truly carried pro wrestling into another realm socially in the 80s above Savage, Flair, Andre, Dusty, and yes Piper it's Piper who should have an asterisk next to his name because he was the one working side by side Hogan during that massive growth as his main adversary and opponent.

Even in later years when he physically was not a full time in ring performer by any means he played a crucial role in the Monday Night Wars and probably did more to elevate Brett Hart's career than anyone.

RIP "Rowdy" - One the 80s Greatest Icons, one of the Founding Fathers of Pro Wrestling's Pop Culture Explosion, and of the industry's all time greatest entertainers. You'll be sorely missed.

We don't need to act like Roddy Piper was like that but we also don't need to act like Piper did something bad for no reason.
It wasn't only the money, it was the chance given by Eric Bischoff for many WWE superstars of the 80s and the early 90s to shine again. Piper was used by WWE just like Randy Savage, both were treated with respect by Vince on his shows but he forced them to wrestle part time and to be a special attraction when they stepped foot in a WWE ring but Vince never allowed them to be "the man" again. Savage was reduced to commentary and Piper was an authority figure. They would never main event WWE PPVs in 1997 and 1998 like they did in WCW if they had stayed.

I don't blame anyone who left for WCW because Bischoff not only offered them big money, he made them relevant again. Piper, Savage, Hogan who became the top guy again after turning heel (something Vince would never allow in WWE), Curt Hennig, Jim Duggan, John Tenta, Ray Traylor, Lex Luger who's failed main event run damaged him so much in a way that nobody took him serious anymore as a WWE main eventer anymore or Scott Hall who became directionless. The only guy you could "blame" was Kevin Nash because he left for WCW while still main eventer and one of the top guys in WWE onlym onths after holding the WWE title. But there you have Roddy Piper, a legend who was demoted to a part timer, special referee and authority figure and one day Eric Bischoff calls and tells him "would you main event PPVs again against your old nemesis like it's 1985"

Besides when WWE is the dominating force in pro wrestling then it's only natural to have the biggest and most loyal superstars of other companies like WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH or AWA leaving for WWE but when WWE was the #2 and WCW was the dominating force Vince McMahon starts to question the decision and the morality of his superstars who left his company

There are really some excellent comments and tributes in this thread. I am and will always continue to be a Hot Rod fan. I first saw him wrestle before he came to the WWE, And from then until he retired (and even after that ) he never disappointed. Roddy Piper single handedly thrusted wrestling into the mainstream back in the 80's. I know, a lot of you are asking WHAT ABOUT HOGAN?!!! In the 80's, wrestlers were divided into three factions The Babyface (good guy), The Heel (bad guy), and The Manager. Roddy's heel persona in wwf was supreme. It made perfect sense to pair him with Hogan whose immense popularity stemmed from his star turn in Rocky 3 otherwise they could have paired Roddy with anybody. RIP Roddy you definitely did it your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back