• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rockstar Games: Great Storylines, Shit Gameplay

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
So, I've just recently got back into gaming with the PS2 my girlfriend brought with her when she moved in. While I had some rather terrible experiences with the GTA series waaay back in the day, I decided to give Rockstar Games another chance by purchasing Bully and The Warriors. Like Vice City and San Andreas, I had similar sentiments towards these games after I finished playing them: I thoroughly enjoyed the cut-scenes, but I hated the gameplay.

I honestly have nothing but praise for the stories that underlie Rockstar's games: the characters are fully fleshed-out, they hilariously embody all of the attributes of whatever stereotype they are an example of, and the storylines themselves run smoothly. However, I don't have similar praise for the gameplay: it's way too simplistic and mind-numbingly boring.

Given how late I am to the game (pun intended), I'm pretty sure everyone already has a set opinion when it comes to Rockstar. However, I created this thread in hopes of eliciting those opinions, and seeing if many agree with me, or if many don't.

Okay, I'll bite here.

I somewhat agree with you, I am not a fan of Rockstar games. I've not liked a GTA since GTA3, I greatly enjoyed Bully, and Red Dead Redemption feels like a western rehash of GTA3.

The stories are generally really well thought out, sometimes you have to pay close attention though because many of the side quests and sometimes even the main quests don't exactly display the story they want told but just feel like fillers.

The gameplay, is however, utterly boring. It's good for a few moments of gameplay, maybe when your raging and you just want to run around and beat the hell out of people and then run from the authorities before being gunned down by them.

I do understand that most games have completely repetitive gameplay, but Rockstar seems to take it to that next level in my opinion. The only thing that I feel they improved on the gameplay for Red Dead Redemption is the random events that happen through the game that you can get involved with, but even those are somewhat pointless and add little to nothing to the story.

So I do agree with you, they make some good stories but need a kick in the ass when it comes to gameplay. Because sometimes the story just isn't enough to keep someone involved in the game. Luckily Bully's story was enough to keep me involved.

Personally I like Rockstar games. They seem to be filled with glitches but the game has always been fun enough to keep me from noticing too much. The most recent one I bought was Red Dead Redemption. Love the game, absolutely love it. Maybe you just have to have a certain taste for it to appeal to you. I personally love just riding around shooting animals to skin them and sell the hides (that makes me sound like a horrible person but I really love animals), finding herbs to sell, rescuing people, running into campsites and hearing what people are talking about, playing liars dice, helping random sheriffs take down gangs, whatever it be I like it all. It may be described like a GTA western but when I'm playing I don't feel like I'm playing GTA, I feel like I'm playing Red Dead Redemption and I believe that's really the key.

As for the GTA games, I loved GTA 3 and GTA IV but didn't really care for Vice City or San Andreas for whatever reasons. I can't really pinpoint it but they just weren't as fun to me.

I don't even know any other Rockstar games except Bully. I rented it and enjoyed it except I never seemed to have enough time in between classes to do what I wanted and skipping class just seemed like a lot of work because you had to avoid teachers and bullies (imagine right?) like non-stop so I never had a chance to just walk around and do what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back