• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rock v. Cena - Gimmick Match or Not?

PhoenixBuster

Equal Opportunity Poster
Short and sweet...

For the Rock versus Cena match at Mania do you think it'll be some type of gimmick match between the two or is it going to be a straight match?

If you think it'll be a gimmick match, what type of match would you like to see?

I personally think it'd be fun, though I don't know if The Rock could still hold up, for them to face off in an Iron Man match. I'd be alright with a straight match but an Iron Man between them would be interesting to watch in concept.

Now, your turn.

Aaaand GO!

For me it's simple. An "I quit" match.

Cena never quits. The Rock said he'd never leave.

This match was made in the attitude era. I want to see Rock and Cena literally leave it all in the arena at Mania. If they're gonna have the Main Event spot, I want to see one of these titans, admit they lose. No bs cliff hanger. I want someone to admit defeat. I want a clear winner and this match will have one.

A regular match. Any gimmick would simply take away from the meaning of the match in the first place.

A regular match.

I personally like gimmick matches A LOT more than most of the IWC, but putting a gimmick on a match as big as this would be just silly. This match will be phenomenal, with both men trading finishers and with the crowd popping like crazy with every move....

No gimmick needs to be attached to it, if anything....an Iron man match would be most acceptable if there had to be a gimmick.

It is a gimmick match, it's Icon vs Icon. Why add more shit to it? Why run the risk of injury and/or botching in a gimmick match?

Gimmicks are used to add to a match and to sell the match. People will buy a card if it has hell in a cell on it. Adding a gimmick to Rock/Cena isn't going to change that.

People aren't going to go "well I donno, it's wrestlemania, it's Rock/Cena, but...okay I guess if it's an I Quit match then I'll go with it".

Iron Man match? You want to dedicate an hour and 15 minutes (entrances, post match, video package) to one match? It doesn't even make sense. This feud isn't like 2 wins a piece after a few months so they need this to settle the score, it isn't 2 guys who pride themself on being technically and athletically superior so an iron man match just doesn't make any sense at all.

The "I Quit" match was NOT made in the Attitude Era, unless you think Flair vs Funk never happened. Plus who gives a shit when it was made, it doesn't make sense. I guess with Cena never saying "I quit" and Rock always quitting it might, but why have a bloody knock-down, drag-out fight when this is a glamor match between two huge stars? One who sure as shit doesn't wanna get injured (rock) and the other WWE sure as shit doesn't wanna get injured (Cena)? Rock being out of the ring already increases the risk of injury, much less making it I Quit.

A straight up match is perfect. Going straight to a gimmick match in their first (and likely only) match is ass backwards. It's like if I asked you if you wanted me to grab you a glass of milk while I was up and you said "no, but go get me some crack". It just doesn't make sense. It's overload and not in a good way.

For me it's simple. An "I quit" match.

Cena never quits. The Rock said he'd never leave.

This match was made in the attitude era. I want to see Rock and Cena literally leave it all in the arena at Mania. If they're gonna have the Main Event spot, I want to see one of these titans, admit they lose. No bs cliff hanger. I want someone to admit defeat. I want a clear winner and this match will have one.

I like the way you think. If they are going to hog the spotlight from better up and coming talent they should have an all balls out fight. Chair shots, busting up the ring, both announcers tables, a ring slide camera and maybe even a big part of the set. A clear cut winner and loser, something to remember, something worth the wait, something fucking awesome!

I like the way you think. If they are going to hog the spotlight from better up and coming talent they should have an all balls out fight. Chair shots, busting up the ring, both announcers tables, a ring slide camera and maybe even a big part of the set. A clear cut winner and loser, something to remember, something worth the wait, something fucking awesome!
Okay, so the crowd will be going batshit crazy over every little mannerism and punch these guys do. Which means, since they're smart, they'll slow the match down and really milk every little move (think Rock/Hogan). However, you want them to speed the match up, needlessly do more violent moves, and run a higher risk of injury?

This is such a bad idea. Why would they do that? It's a really REALLY bad idea. It makes sense on no grounds other than to people who think wrestling can't be good unless it's bloody and hardcore.

Also, they aren't hogging the spotlight from "better and upcoming talent" they're going to be drawing in more people so that "better and upcoming talent" can be seen by more people.

No gimmick needed, so a regular match; remember this is the second annual generation vs generation match. It would be spoiled by adding a gimmick and/or stipulation to it.

It will be a regular one on one match. Gimmick matches are better used to help sell a PPV when the match itself cannot. Cena VS The Rock is a dream match between the face of wrestling and a legendary icon. It will sell no matter what type of match they have. It does not need a gimmick because it is one of the biggest dream matches that this generation could possibly see, and thousands will pay to see it regardless of what happens or what the stipulations are. We are more likely to see a gimmick in one of the world title matches, or in the random filler matches of the show.

I suppose an I Quit or Last Man Standing match would be cool because really, to me that's all either of these guys are really known for gimmick match wise. I mean I know that they've been involved in Cage or Street Fights in the past, but I don't really care to see those.

To me, the match sells itself, the biggest star of the AE vs the biggest of PG E. Hogan v Rock didn't have a gimmick and neither should this. The one thing that makes me pretty excited, where Hogan/Rock didn't is these men can both at least carry a match. No they're not the most technically proficient or amazing in the ring, but they're both not awful (especially Cena who takes waaay too much flack.) and can really move around when they need too. So yeah, I guess nothing fancy, just a plain 1 on 1 match would make me happy.

What you have to ask though -
7 years on from The Rock's last match in WWE...
Can the Rock still go in the ring for 35 min + which is the benchmark for a main event at wrestlemania?

I...I just dunno.
Guy is in great physical shape but that's a WHOLE lot different to being in a great wrestling shape. Cena is on the road, trained to be a WRESTLER. Rock has lost a lot of weight and muscle mass since being in WWE. I...I don't think Cena could carry Rock through 35 mins and I think Rock would suffer in a main event calibre match for 35 mins after not having wrestled for SO LONG.

So...maybe a gimmick match IS a good idea to detract from this.
Ironman is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea though.
Something simpler. No holds barred. No DQ. Something to keep the crowd entertained while not showing The Rock hasn't wrestled in so long.

It should not be a Gimmick Match because, the match is already big enough as it is. You have one of the greastest wrestlers of all time, The Rock vs. A guy that we have CENA NUFF of.

If you wanna know how bad having a gimmick match just for the sake of having one when it doesn't make sense just watch last weeks iMPACT Wrestling.

Adding a gimmick match doesn't add to the match if it doesn't fit it. It usually makes the match feel like a letdown because they either didn't live up to the gimmick or the match was way too brutal for the feud and doesn't make sense.

It won't be a gimmick. What would be the point? It's (very likely) a one time only confrontation. Gimmicks are there to keep ongoing feuds interesting. In this case it would actually take away from the epic nature of the encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back