• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Robin Williams, Suicide, Depression, and Five Beliefs of Mine

LSN80

King Of The Ring
I've seen and read so much on the common ground between the two over the past few days, some that I've written in the past myself. All of this, of course, comes on the heels of the suicide of Robin Williams, who asphyxiated himself with a rope. I've read little on Williams himself and his struggles, and more on the 'PSA/care for your children' type of thing. From what I did read on Williams, however, it lead me to believe that he was Bipolar, based on his mood swings. Bipolar disorder-for those unfamiliar-often shows in periods of extreme feelings of highs(known as mania), and crashing to extreme periods of lows(severe depresion).

BiPolar disorder, Depression, and mental illness is little different than cancer, high blood pressure, or problems with the heart. They're diseases, and unfortunately, as we saw with Williams, a disease that often gets the better of others at times. For the sake of argument, when I reference people who overdosed as having "committed suicide", it's for the purpose of lumping the two together to save time, not saying the two are the same. Given my profession as a psychologist and Family Therapist, one would think depression and suicide that (thankfully) rarely have accompanied it would grow easier to handle over time. There are some things, such as hearing a parent cuss me out, or dealing with a belligerent teenager that I've grown accustomed to and developed a good style for handling. But in the six years I've been a psychologist, I've yet to grow a handle on even discussing suicide, let alone discussing it. Part of it might come from a twin sister whom I saw with my first eyes attempt suicide twice, unsuccessful both thankfully.

Of the six patients I've had in my 8 years of experience in the field who have committed suicide, I've yet to grow accustomed. I do some grief and loss work, but never immediately following a suicide, unless the family requests I stay on and work with them. I once had a client who cut himself so deep that his arms had turned blue before he did, and he lost so much blood he died. I wanted to be of comfort that night to the family, but I couldn't. I liked them all, thought they were great people. But I couldn't, as not only did I throw up, I cried as well.

1. Depression can't be bought off: If it could, I'm sure the Eminem's, Robin Williams', and Sean Waltman's(who almost killed himself twice before then-girlfriend Ryan Shamrock called 911 after he had attempted to OD on Valium, and when he tried to hang himself)of the world would pay the fee and be rid of the the disease forever. But I know those who have attempted every high-priced, sometimes shortcut in the world, only to find that while every person is different, we all share one common thing. Depression, like with cancer or heart disease, takes time to heal. High-priced booze or top-quality drugs or even new anti-depressants may promise and offer relief, but most of it is temporary relief. Most of the new anti-depressants have the same thing in common with the old, and it's that they take time to work. Some people, and it's not always for lack of patience, simply don't have the time, or are fed up with starting over and taking another chance on a medication or medications possibly working. We don't know the story with Robin Williams in full, but perhaps he was sick and tired of the ups and downs over and again.

2. Depression is a lifelong illness: Like an alcoholic or an addict, someone with heart disease or high blood pressure, depression is an illness that doesn't go away simply because someone has it under control. In fact, it is when someone has a mental illness under control that they are at their most vulnerable? Why? Because often times, people who get their depression under control believe they don't need their medications any longer. What they don't realize is that like blood pressure medication helps regulate blood pressure of those with one aspect of heart disease- and other medications help control cholesterol, kidney function, and lung disease-anti-depressants are a major factor in helping to control the symptoms of depression. Yes, therapy, building positive relationships and ridding oneself of negative habits such as daily drug usage are extremely beneficial. But many people have a deficiency of serotonin in the brain, with serotonin being a large contributor to positive traits such as happiness. Like addicts who relapse, once a person stops a drug containing serotonin, it takes longer for the anti-depressant to start working, and at times, the depression(like withdrawal)is worse the second time around. Depression can be a life-long illness, like many medical ones. It's important to treat it as such, and take medications that help deal with it.

3. Relapse is common: Just like with addiction, depression is very much the same. It doesn't break confidentiality for me to say that I once had a client I saw on six different occasions. When I say that, I don't mean six different sessions, that's common for everyone. I mean that I've discharged said client five times, and *he's* gone without seeing me at the most forsix weeks.

Despite what many people think, this isn't some character flaw of this man's. He's not lazy, in fact, I'm a "doctor", and he makes more money then I do. He takes his medication unfailingly, and unless he is throwing away pills to his exact count and lying to me(which would make no sense as it would be detrimental to his treatment, and cause him more money) he takes it as prescribed. As an obsessive-compulsive, he brings his medication to every session, asking me to count it so it relieves his anxiety.

One of the things I read about Robin Williams is that he's relapsed several times, both into drugs(most recently, 2006)and depression all of his life, most recently when he took his own life, obviously. Most of the comments I've read have been respectful. But a few have left me disgusted, mainly those who have said along the line of this: "Robin Williams is so selfish. Doesn't he realize how much pain he's causing his family?"

All of this may be true. But as has come out today, Williams was suffering from the beginning stages of Parkinson's, which is a neurodegenerative disorder, second only behind Alzheimer's in such disorders. It turns the mind against the body, and approximately 50% of people who previous did not suffer from depression do so as Parkinson's progresses. And Williams was already suffering from addiction and depression. It's easy for us to sit here and criticize him for what he did.

It's harder for us to put ourselves in his shoes, because that would make it easier to empathize and harder to criticize.

4. Depression is made worse by substance abuse:
When many of us who have experienced casual substance abuse think of it, things such as euphoria, relaxation, lack of worry, and little-to-no-stress. But long-term, heavy use of most heavy substances involve much more then dependance and addiction. Depression also is a major factor included in substance abuse.

Some of it is strictly environmental. Many people in jail, on probation, paying fines and struggling to find jobs are in the predicaments they're in because of substance use and abuse, having done things they've reported would have never have done had they not been using. Yes, this is easy to say, but multiple studies back it up. The Westmoreland County Prison- the County prison in the county I live in-reports that 57% of males and 73% of females are incarcerated for drug-related offenses, or were under the influence of drugs when they committed said offenses. That number a helluva high one-one I'm not sure I believe-but regardless of margin of error, it's a high number no matter how you look at it.

As I said, depression and substance use are tied closely together. Robin Williams struggled with both most of his life, and depression often leads to substance use, which in turn after a brief period of relief, most times leads to depression. Williams' chances were better because he was a natural extrovert who drew people to him. But his predilection for drug use and abuse along with his history of depression, and it's not hard to see how Williams committed suicide.

It's easy to say that things are choices. Drug use. Suicide. And the truth is, they are exactly that. But some people, possibly Williams, have genes that make drug addiction possible even if they try them just a handful of times. If like me(who hasn't done drugs), I don't know my family history, which makes things tougher. At the end, Williams was in an incredibly difficult situation with his diagnosis of Parkinson's. Already battling depression, and with(I'd imagine)easy access to drugs, Williams may have chosen a few moments of discomfort dulled by drugs(all speculation) would have been better then a slow disintegration, with a(perceived) complete loss of dignity.

Depression-especially when it's tied to long-term drug use, active or not-works like that.

5. Mental Illness can go undetected for years:Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to suicide before detection is made. How sad, to live a life where you're dealing with a very physical condition, only for no one to understand or believe you? How easy would it be then, as things get worse, to believe you would be better off dead? "No one can see my problems, and even worse, they don't believe me. What better way to show them that I'm indeed suffering then to take my life?"

Unfortunately, that's the logic many people who suffer with undiagnosed-and even worse- untreated-mental illness or addiction that shuffles through their minds. Unable to think clearly and with the belief that mental health professionals-People who don't even know them-will actually see something their family and friends don't, is a sparse belief. To them, Murphy's law is often in effect.

Murphy's Law-Anything that can go wrong will do so.

In childhood, kids are cruel. A kid in middle school or high school who admits or acknowledges they need help will be even more ostracized than they already are, they believe. They didn't see the positives that come along with it. Increased self-esteem. Treatment for their depression/mental illness that is disrupting their ability to function, make friends, participate in sports, date girls, etc. So because they don't see these things and instead believe Murphy's Law, they don't see their problems improving if they speak up, and only see negative consequences. With all that's been presented here, is it that difficult to believe that the depressed teenager-or adult-is unable to see a way out after some time?

Is it that hard to believe that Robin Williams' felt the same thing? That he's been battling for so damn long without a resolution in sight. And now, gets news that things are only going to get worse for him as he enters his twilight years?

How hard is it to believe seeing even the funniest of men say 'Eff that, I've already dealt with enough in my life. Now I'm a senior citizen, and I've got to deal with the most difficult thing I ever will? Screw that.

I'm not saying what he did was right or wrong. I haven't experienced the issues that Williams did in his 63 years. Sadly, some people spend their entire lives without reprieveexperiencing what Williams was about to. And with many of those people, it was without bringing an ounce of peace to their life. For many, it was 24/7. Again, I'm not justifying, I'm helping to bring an ounce of understanding to an incredibly complicated thing.

Suicide is a sad, painful experience for those close, one they try to understand for some time. The rest of us just try to play armchair psychologist in our attempts to understand how someone so talented could put an end to our enjoyment of them.

At the end of the day, it often boils down to our selfishness guised as a cloak of attempting to understand, myself concluded. We're selfish bastards all, aren't we?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All thoughts on Williams' suicide, suicide in general, depression, other mental illness and the parallels between depression and addiction are welcome. Your personal experiences with one/both/either are welcome and encouraged, no matter how vague or specific.

Please remember to keep your comments-both of Williams and those who choose to share-respectful. Consider this your warning on a very sensitive subject. I want to encourage comments but please remember this is a non-spam section. Also, please respect the experiences of others-no matter how difficult it is for you to envision them. Thank you. I will infract heavily those who choose to mock or make light of such a sensitive subject.

More than perhaps any other subject, I look forward to hearing your responses. They can be as vague or detailed as you would like without fear or judgment. -LSN

I want to touch on something.

For those people who say it's selfish and what about their family and friends.

I can tell you that when you reach that point where the thought of suicide is strong enough that it fills your mind. That's all you can think about. You're not thinking rationally. I've been there more than once.

A guy that was a boss of mine a couple years ago killed himself last week and he was one of those guys that you would never expect that from. He had some problems in the past with stress and anger but he had seemed to work that out. He seemed okay after that. He was almost always in a good mood.

After my first suicide attempt I got a lot of people who said they knew I was having a rough time but they never realized it was that bad.

The second time I tried suicide a friend of mine called me out of nowhere and as we were talking I was emptying pills into a bowl and just waiting for the conversation to end.

When the od on the pills didn't work I thought I was out of it enough that I could strangle myself and it would get over quickly. This is what I learned.

OD's suck. Like really bad. Your body gets paralyzed and until you lose consciousness you are very aware of that feeling. It's also incredibly hard to breathe.

Strangulation sucks really bad also. Feeling the air and choking on it. I tried so many times before I gave up. Eventually I called my mom and told her what happened. I couldn't keep liquids down and I ended up in the hospital with renal failure. I was very lucky that I didn't do worse damage than what I did.

The next time I was suicidal I asked for help. A friend of mine talked me into going to the hospital so I called my mom and had her take me in. The psych ward sucks but not nearly as much as the things I mentioned above.

That level of depression is really hard to understand if you haven't been at that level.

It's been three years since my last suicide attempt. I still have highs and lows but I'm better at managing them. I'm honest with doctors and psychiatrists about my medication not work right. Even though I didn't want to I'm giving therapy another try.

Seriously if you're reaching the stage of depression where suicide feels like a real option please talk to someone you trust. Be honest with people. Don't let it get that far if you can prevent it.

When I had my two od attempts I thought about it for a few days. I was making plans in my head. I was looking to see how many pills I had. I stole Tylenol from working because I didn't think I had enough muscle relaxers the first time I tried it. I had plenty of time to talk to someone and I didn't do it.

If you can get anything out of this thread I hope that you get that there is always someone to talk to. There's always someone that can help you through steps for prevention. Reach out to those people.

For those people who say it's selfish and what about their family and friends......... I can tell you that when you reach that point where the thought of suicide is strong enough that it fills your mind. That's all you can think about. You're not thinking rationally.

By it's very nature, suicide (whether the attempt succeeds or fails) must be the result of totally selfish thinking; it's the ultimate life decision that requires a person to be thinking of themselves and no one else. Of course, we're taught that selfishness is a terrible thing, yet a certain amount of it is necessary for our survival......and, in fact, a dose of it is required in order for us to end our lives, too. At some point, we have to stop thinking of others all the time and admit that our own needs must take precedence.

Yes, what I just said is supposed to be regarded as horrible; we've been told all our lives that we must be selfless, serve mankind, help other people....etc etc etc.

But first, we have to take care of ourselves....and in a situation such as Robin Williams', he was doing just that. It's horrible that his final decision involved taking his own life....and it makes me feel weak inside to think of the agony of mind he must have suffered at the end (I feel the same way about Chris Benoit's state of mind.....but, of course, we're not supposed to admit that) but I can understand that Robin Williams' last act was a totally selfish one.....it was his decision alone....to him, it was more urgent than his family's needs or anyone else's.....and as a result, I feel uneasy about criticizing the selfishness of what he did. It's a shame and a tragedy, yes........but in doing what he felt he needed to do to make things right for himself, a selfish act was needed.

Sad.

By it's very nature, suicide (whether the attempt succeeds or fails) must be the result of totally selfish thinking; it's the ultimate life decision that requires a person to be thinking of themselves and no one else. Of course, we're taught that selfishness is a terrible thing, yet a certain amount of it is necessary for our survival......and, in fact, a dose of it is required in order for us to end our lives, too. At some point, we have to stop thinking of others all the time and admit that our own needs must take precedence.

Yes, what I just said is supposed to be regarded as horrible; we've been told all our lives that we must be selfless, serve mankind, help other people....etc etc etc.

But first, we have to take care of ourselves....and in a situation such as Robin Williams', he was doing just that. It's horrible that his final decision involved taking his own life....and it makes me feel weak inside to think of the agony of mind he must have suffered at the end (I feel the same way about Chris Benoit's state of mind.....but, of course, we're not supposed to admit that) but I can understand that Robin Williams' last act was a totally selfish one.....it was his decision alone....to him, it was more urgent than his family's needs or anyone else's.....and as a result, I feel uneasy about criticizing the selfishness of what he did. It's a shame and a tragedy, yes........but in doing what he felt he needed to do to make things right for himself, a selfish act was needed.

Sad.

I think selfish isn't the right word to use. I mean, mental illness can be just as painful as physical problems, is it really selfish to put yourself out of the misery? Even our pets are granted the mercy of being put down when the alternate is a slow, painful death.

You make the argument that it's selfish by Williams. Someone killing themselves is considered selfish because you leave your family and friends with nothing but grief just because you're in pain. But isn't it just as selfish to expect someone you love to continue suffering? To continue to be lost in a hopeless abyss? As LSN said, depression doesn't really go away. You may get better or worse at times, but it's always there, threatening to take over at any moment.

It's either selfish from both sides, or selfish from neither. I don't think there's any right answer to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back