• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Robbie E Confirms No Bound For Glory Series This Year

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
[YOUTUBE]ip7N4Y_AD0U[/YOUTUBE]

Not that this should be all too shocking, considering it should have been under way by now (if my math is right), but in the above interview, he does confirm that TNA is not holding the tournament this year.

The series had run the previous three years straight.

Personally, I'm actually kind of glad they aren't doing it. It's not that the wrestling is bad or that the series itself sucks or anything like that — it's that the series, due to the way it's established, just takes all the focus away from anything that isn't part of the BFG series, and it's quite difficult to allow more than one or two wrestlers to shine during it, especially if they're involved in feuds outside of the series itself. With a smaller roster, it's difficult enough as it is to not include a number of performers in it.

Thoughts?

I'm not at all surprised by this. Not only should it have been underway by now, but there was not hype whatsoever regarding doing another series. I had a feeling the tourney was gonna be nixed after they announced BFG was gonna be in Tokyo. Can't say I'm disappointed, especially considering some of the talent that left. Seems like the main event will end up being Roode vs Lashley, but I could be wrong.

Good. I didn't dislike it by any means. I did dislike people bitching about it because they didn't understand how it worked. I thought TNA did a pretty good job of explaining it and keeping the points tally up to date.

With BFG being in Japan i want to see at least one TNA vs Wrestle 1 match. Not a group thing. Just a one on one or maybe at most a tag match.

Good. I didn't dislike it by any means. I did dislike people bitching about it because they didn't understand how it worked. I thought TNA did a pretty good job of explaining it and keeping the points tally up to date.

With BFG being in Japan i want to see at least one TNA vs Wrestle 1 match. Not a group thing. Just a one on one or maybe at most a tag match.

To me the BFG Series was done alright but it coulda been better as they coulda showed the matches from House Shows or Have a Short ran Program on the B4G Series on Spike where they showed nothing but B4G Series Matches.

Your 2nd thing is they will have at least 1 TNA vs Wrestle-1 match as James Storm and Sanada vs A TNA Star and The Great Muta. Plus most likely they'll have The Wolves in a 3 or 4 way Dance vs The Hardyz vs Team 3D vs A Team from Wrestle-1 and also an X-Div Title match w/ Wrestle-1 included in an Ultimate X.

To be completely fair he said "there is a chance" there will be no Bound for Glory Series. If they did get rid of it I would be dissapointed. I was a big fan of the BGF series. I know it had it's detractors. I remember Chris Jericho saying it was too confusing for the casual audience but I think overall it is a winning formula that may need a little tinkering.

I like model that here comes the biggest event of the year and we need another event leading up to it to have a #1 contender. WWE put that on the map with the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, so they have the unique battle royal so TNA's like let's keep it simple, let's get down and dirty and have a tournament to crown our #1 contender. I like that the company gathers 12 of it's elite and says you're the best in the company let's see what you can do. I like that we get to see them pair up in matches each week, some who haven't even met yet, where wins and losses are imperative. It really has that major league sports feel.

I do look forward to see not only who wins but who will be the breakout star among the series like Magnus was last year. TNA needs it's special trademarks that make it different from WWE, The BFG series is one of them. Don't give up on an idea and scrap it and try and think of something different to replace it. Keep it going like the Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank matches, where year after year it can build build moments and tradition and take on a life of itself.

I liked the concept, but I had a few issues with it. One of them was the duration of the tournament. I always thought that they should shorten it. 5 months is just too long for a tournament. While some guys will get pushed, some guys will keep losing every match, like Hernandez last year.
Plus, it also takes away the scope of having more one-on-one and two-on-two feuds. This is their biggest show. A typical Wrestlemania card has around 8-10 feuds going. Bound for Glory is mainly about the culmination of the series and a few more.
It takes no genius to figure out that TNA is pretty lazy when it comes to writing new rivalries. That could be one of the reason why they started this series, so that they would have to sweat less on writing more stories, and can simply have guys fighting each other every week for points. Also, we have these faction wars every year for control of the company. And not to mention, all the WWE-copy-paste angles.
I'm glad the BFG Series is gone; it could be another step towards the right direction.

I thought BFG series was great, it created a "competitive" feeling, and it made all of these matches have some importance, right down to how the match was finished.

The first time they did it was a bit of a mess with some guys having more matches than others etc, but I think it is a great concept if they continued to refine it over time.

I never understood why Jericho said it was confusing, it really wasn't that confusing at all.

You were still able to integrate feuds that coincided, and in fact they did just that. It also created opportunities to further feuds, maybe guys who were feuding would clash as part of the tournament, they could screw each other during the tournament etc.

I'm a little bummed out by this because I genuinely enjoyed the concept of the BFG Series. Despite its very rough, bumpy start, I feel like TNA was able to improve on the concept which each passing year. It was also a good way to further build up stars (like Magnus) and we usually got good matches out of it. However, I also agree that the Series pretty much took away all focus from any storyline that wasn't involved in the tournament (I distinctly recall an episode of Impact that was made up of nothing but BFG Series matches; this led to short matches since they were all crammed into two hours and little to no emphasis on other storylines) so maybe this move might ultimately be for the best.

But if the tournament doesn't come back this year, I really hope it does next year.

With BFG bring in Japan, it isn't surprising but I do think they need to bring it back next year. They just need to revise it a little, streamline it. I don't mind the 2 months or so of matches but cut out the house shows adding to it, cut out the random 20 point matches, etc. Make it 10 matches per person, top 4 wrestle in a couple matches where the winners meet and that winner is the winner if the series. It needs to be something the fans can easily follow and get into but I found this past year it was a pain with all the extras they kept throwing in.

I'm perfectly okay with the series being scrapped this year. I enjoy them, but I can do without them. What's bothering me here is the inconsistency. These are the things that make TNA look bad. You do something for two years in a roll, and then you drop it randomly. It always looks bad, regardless of who you are. It looks bad when TNA drops the series, it looked bad when WWE dropped King of the Ring, it's just not smart.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think things like this should be wrapped up in a storyline. Put some extra effort and drop it off in style. Maybe have that good 'ol evil authority figure run a poll whether the fans want it to continue, you run some videos of fans who say how awesome it is and they should definitely keep going, you hype it up, you rig the votes if you have to with the majority wanting it to continue and then you say you drop it just to piss everyone off. Or you again obviously rig the votes against it continuing, with some bullshit 1% for 99% against, you flex your power and abusiveness and you again piss people off. Have good guys from the roster voice their disagreement, say how the series makes everything fair and only the best can win it and you piss them off.

Just ... something. But hey at least we'll get some proper storylines now.

... I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back