• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ricky Steamboat...Should We Be Seeing More Of Him?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I was watching Backlash from this year, and the match between Ricky Steamboat and Chris Jericho stood out to me. It wasn't bad. Actually it was pretty good. When I saw The Dragon do a crossbody off the top rope, I almost fell out of my chair. I don't remeber if it was the night after Wrestlemania or some time after that, when Steamboat was getting those "You still got it!" chants, but at 56 yrs. old, the man can still go. For those of you who are unaware, Steamboat is currently a road agent for WWE. Maybe we should be seeing more of Steamboat on WWE TV. I mean let's face it, he's really the only Hall of Fame wrestler who's still involved with WWE. I know there's Tony Atlas, but he's not in the same league as Steamboat. Roddy Piper,Stone Cold, or Dusty Rhodes might pop up every now and then, but Steamboat is someone who's actively invloved in the company. My point is, with Hogan in TNA, and Ric Flair possibly to follow (even if he doesn't he's contractually obligated to Hogan), shouldn't WWE be using Steamboat as the go to guy as far as wrestling legends/Hall Of Famers go? As far as popularity goes, Steamboat isn't in the same league as Hogan or Flair, but I think he's well known enough among wrestling fans to be put on TV on every now and then. Maybe he can even have a match once in a while? I know he's a road agent, but couldn't WWE find some way to use him? Even if it is on a limited basis? Thoughts?

No, not at all. Don't get me wrong I love Steamboat, he was a phenomanal wrestler and a childhood hero, but I do not want to see him wrestler anymore. We have enough problems with wrestlers here past their prime still clinging to the spotlight without bringing back legends, even on a limited role. No we need to clear them off of tv and let them help the newer guys behind the scenes, get them groomed, get them ready to fill their spots and become the next legends. So while I Ricky, he needs to remain as a road agent and nothing more.

I don't think we should be seeing more of Steamboat. While most of us enjoyed his appearances earlier in the year, the fact remains that Steamboat is long past his prime and shouldn't be taking the spots of young wrestlers. In a time when WWE desperately needs to be focusing on creating new stars (and in fairness they are taking steps to see this happens) bringing back Steamboat would only hinder the progress of up and coming talents. There's no doubt that Steamboat still has great ability for a man of his age and his appearances earlier in the year were nice for nostalgic purposes but as Matt Fox said, he is probably far more useful in his role as a road agent, grooming young talent from behind the scenes....

No. What Steamboat pulled off at WrestleMania and Backlash was impressive as his age was taken into context. If he was back more often, it would get old quick. I remember wincing when watching Ric Flair in his final year or two, and it would eventually get to the stage like that with Steamboat.

He had his fantastic swansong, that cemmmented his place further into wrestling history and got him over with a new generation of fans. His job as an agent or whatever is perfect for him now.

We need to see a Steamboat DVD, if there's not one, and I don't think there is. The man is phenomenal, and I don't think an occasional appearance would be bad, I just have a tough time seeing it fitting an actual story.

I'm with the first person that replied. Steamboat still has it. Yes you are correct on that. But in the era of everybody wanting new talent and the WWE finally pushing the young new talent... you're wanting more of a 50+ legend? C'mon now. Let those 2 matches at Mania and Backlash be it. Steamboat went above and beyond what any of us every dreamed he could still do. I probably speak for Steamboat and every knowledgeable wrestling fan in the world when I say he did the right thing to quit while he was ahead. Don't try to ruin something that was great by trying to redo it over and over.

I'd rather a Steamboat DVD. If he was to be featured a bit on TV (non-wrestling, maybe as a guest host) at the time of my fantasy DVD release, I wouldn't be mad. But other than that...no. And I love the man to death.

I was hoping at the time of Backlash he would be eventually named Smackdown GM, it would've been a nice sidebar to Jericho's moving to RAW. I think on camerea he can probably tell a story just as good if not better than Teddy Long so a GM role would be okay.

But as an active wrestler, I don't want WWE to ruin what was my (personal) highlight of the year, Ricky's return. NWO, Ric Flair, DX, Ron Simmons, and even Vicky Gurrerro all got old quick after the constant re-emergences.

Steamboat is my all-time favourite. I feel he never got the recognition that he should have, and consider him the greatest WWF/E superstar to never win a WWE or World Heavyweight Championship.

I enjoyed his three matches this year (he also fought in the 8-man on Raw, the night after Backlash), but I wouldn't have him wrestle on a regular basis, as people may get sick of seeing him, like they did Ric Flair.

However, I know two matches where it would be appropriate. Maybe he could do a match at WM26, and I would love to see him as one of the entrants in the 2010 Royal Rumble match. I know he won't win, but as long as he is given a few minutes, and would love to see one bit where he is thrown out, skins the cat, and then rolls back in.

Also, I would like to see him be a Raw Guest Host one week. It would be easy to arrange, and with Jericho on Raw every week harrassing guest GM's, Steamboat and Jericho can cut another promo like their great one on Raw earlier this year, when Steamboat was inducted into the Hall-Of-Fame.

I also want a Steamboat DVD, but I am disappointed that he is not a Legend on S v R 2010 video game. He has never been in any of their games, not even Legends Of Wrestlemania, and I don't understand why. I would have thought he was a cert to be a Legend this year, with his appearances and all.

Although that watching Steamboat go through those matches between WrestleMania and Backlash were something spectacular to watch, seeing a man who has been gone for a while on WWE TV as an actual wrestler to get inside and see him not have any ring rust at all is quite amazing and nostalgic. Steamboat is one of my favourite wrestlers and I got chills down my spine when his first move at Mania was a diving move from the top rope that was more than a double axe handle or a Matt Hardy Elbow to the back of the head.

However, it is probably best that they keep Steamboat appearances such as these to very rare occassions. Yes, he is still a good wrestler... but with the schedule they have these days and the role in the company he plays wouldn't be a great accomodation to the aging Ricky. What possible role would Ricky play if he were to be a full-time wrestler on the roster? All he'd do is win a few matches to get on a role, gain a shot at maybe the midcard title and be shoved into storylines between the younger guys and put them over or take on some legends of the business like Michaels or Taker. Seems like a good idea, but that's only two storylines. With how WWE seems to rush things these days, I don't think I'd be a good idea to bring him back. As well as this, they are trying to make the younger guys have the spotlight instead of gaining older stars like Steamboat and injecting him back into the main event.

Seems like a good idea, but reality just wouldn't agree to this.

This was brought up at the time and the following PPV, get with the times man or girl :)
He put on a good show and proved he can atleast still cut it better than most 80's guys leave it at that

But in no way could he do anymore than a few appearances a year, he has no reason too, it won't do anything positive for his body and could possibly destroy it all for a brief moment of glory.

WWE and TNA can't keep going down the path of bringing back used up talent for a brief ratings boost at the cost of taking away from the talent that is there already and will be there in the future when those former stars finally die or retire for good.

Backstage ie guides to the current crop is where there talent lies not taking the spotlight

Steamboat is my all-time favourite. I feel he never got the recognition that he should have, and consider him the greatest WWF/E superstar to never win a WWE or World Heavyweight Championship.

I enjoyed his three matches this year (he also fought in the 8-man on Raw, the night after Backlash), but I wouldn't have him wrestle on a regular basis, as people may get sick of seeing him, like they did Ric Flair.

However, I know two matches where it would be appropriate. Maybe he could do a match at WM26, and I would love to see him as one of the entrants in the 2010 Royal Rumble match. I know he won't win, but as long as he is given a few minutes, and would love to see one bit where he is thrown out, skins the cat, and then rolls back in.

Also, I would like to see him be a Raw Guest Host one week. It would be easy to arrange, and with Jericho on Raw every week harrassing guest GM's, Steamboat and Jericho can cut another promo like their great one on Raw earlier this year, when Steamboat was inducted into the Hall-Of-Fame.

I also want a Steamboat DVD, but I am disappointed that he is not a Legend on S v R 2010 video game. He has never been in any of their games, not even Legends Of Wrestlemania, and I don't understand why. I would have thought he was a cert to be a Legend this year, with his appearances and all.

there are only 4 legends involved anyway and 1 of them is currently only for people who prepurchased it, no word if others will get that as a DLC later on, but given the lack of support that was 2009 i doubt there'll be anyore than 1 DLC lot till 2011 comes out :) and 2010 sucks still, same gay bugs, same stupid partner AI. Stupidly short RTWM mode, alot of content with no sound other than the fighting noise

Ricky Steamboat is one of my all time favorites.

I was so intrigued and excited when I heard he would be wrestling again.

I had no idea how it would be, what with his back problems and time away from the ring.

It was as if he had never retired at all!

I was so happy, and he exceeded all my expectations.

Should we see more of him?

Yes, but maybe sparingly so. That way any occasion he does wrestle a few matches now and again will be kept special.

I would love to see him have a last proper run though.

This would of course depend on whether he is up to it, and indeed on whether he wants to or not.

But I think another run with the IC belt would be quite nice.

Maybe not for long, but a month or two.

I think that would be lovely!

I remember reading, I think it was in PWI, that Steamboat had wrestled more matches than those seen on TV at various house shows, etc. He was quoted as saying that he'd be happy to wrestle more, perhaps tag teaming with his son one day.

If, and this is a big if, the plans succeed for a WWE channel, then there'd be far more time to fill and little reason that an "old" star couldn't have a certain number of matches shown without per se taking away from new talent. Pairing Steamboat Sr. and Jr. would also be a boost to the new talent in the form of Steamboat's son.

Really, is it any worse than seeing Nash and Foley on TNA?

WrestleMania serves as a perfect example as to why Ricky Steamboat shouldn't be a regular ring performer. You had Ricky Steamboat, a man who retired aged 41 and who was able at 56 to put on a classic match. Also ivolved you had Ric Flair, Jimmy Snuka and Roddy Piper, who all showed that it is better to quit while you're ahead. Steamboat was a tremendous in ring competitor but to bring him out of mothballs now would only serve to tarnish his legacy. By all means let him be loosly associated with his son when he debuts and maybe give him a match a year, but othewise, let sleeping dogs lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back