Ricky Steamboat Hospitalised From Brain Aneurysm

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Richard Blood aka Ricky Steamboat, 57, suffered a brain aneurysm last night in Tampa and is currently being hospitalized. We don't know any more details other than it has been confirmed by those in WWE and it is not working an angle from Monday. Steamboat was banged up from Monday's angle.
His prognosis from what can be a fatal encounter is considered good to excellent.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/13934/

As people begin discussing how the entire NXT angle is 'cursed', this certainly isn't evidence to the contrary.

The little "Steamboat was banged up from Monday's angle" bit, well, the author seems to be trying to imply that the aneurysm was somehow the result of the beatdown that the Nexus gave him. I'm not doctor but I can definitively say that, um, maybe? I don't think fake beatings are a particularly common cause - that's as much as I'll say on that.

Definite shame about Steamboat. If nothing else, he made the whole Rourke/Jericho angle worth watching and I'll give him respect for that. Hope he makes a full recovery.

well, he did get slammed by david otunga and clotheslined by sheffield. that may have been a contributing factor. i really hope he's alright though.

Wasn't this just WWE selling the story on their website??

I'm guessing it has actually happened now, I also read the report on WZ that said he was hospitalized on Wednesday...

I hope he is okay though, make a speedy recovery so I can see the Dragon again...

I think the WWE is now going too far with the Nexus angle. I was looking at all the beatdowns that make & w/the exception of Cena, they all look completely stiff and they don't look like they're protecting the person they're fighting. The 450 splash on both Vince & Steamboat didn't look secure enough where neither of them had much room to protect themselves. And I know, everyone will chime in saying that he stays on the rope far too long which gives these men ample opportunity to protect themselves, but even still, these are 50+ year old men being splahsed at a very high speed by a 20-something year old.

Also, I think the angle from last Monday was in very poor taste as once again, they beat up on older people. I looked at the way they beat up Arn Anderson and wondered if they even KNEW he has neck problems. Then Dean. The way they just ran him into the guard rail was extremely hard. I know these guys are trying to make a name for themselves, but if something happens to Steamboat, God-forbid he dies or whatever, wow, I'll tell you right now there will be some serious legal problems for the entire WWE, especially Vince & these guys.

It's one thing to beat up on Cena. He's trainned to withstand certain blows on a regular basis, and yes I know it's fake, but real punches & kicks sometimes do get landed and sometimes a REAL slam can occur, or even worse, a real clothesline. WWE swears they're PG, but then something happens to one of their legends by the hands of some rookies? Amazing...Here's to Steamboat's speedy & full recovery.

This is what the fans want though. They have been screaming this because again I go back to the Attitude Era. **sighs**

WWE is just giving the fans what they have been screaming about.

Here's hoping Steamboat recovers quickly.

But, my god, someone seems to have taken a turn for the dramatic haven't they Express! It seems to me more like bad timing then anything the nXt guys did. Trust me, if they'd been heavy handed with Cena (and his neck isn't in the best of shape) then they wouldn't have been let loose on the owner of the company. Again, if they'd hurt Vince they wouldn't have been let loose on legends.

And let's not forget that, with the green guys, everything is normally run through move by move before the show starts. Meaning Steamboat and co knew what to do and when to do it. The fact that you thought Malenko was thrown too hard into the guardrail is a double well done to whoever threw him and Dean himself for the sell.

And last I checked all those guys in the ring on monday have been wrestlers for years so they're trained to withstand certain blows.

Steamboat's been hurt since the early 90s and, most likely, like that Japanese guy who died in a match last year (his name escapes me right now) it is probably more likely a build up of things then anything they did on monday

Damn, I stopped lurking and registered just to post here and harry said everything I wanted to.

The guys in the ring knew what they were doing. Yes, they are old and they haven't been in the ring in a while, but they were trained in how to take bumps just as much as Cena and keep in mind they are from the old school where things tended to be more stiff. If what happened on Raw lead to this, then it wasn't without prior knowledge of the potential consequences.

I hope Steamboat gets better just as much as anyone, but I realize that these guys are pros who do the job bc they love it and they all know that bad things can happen at any time. And that's why we respect them so much. So lets not point fingers, and rather concentrate on Steamboat and his getting better.

I thought that some of the stuff on Vince and Ricky, was pretty stuff, both clothesline were very solid, and have a look how much force Vince hit, off Wade Barrett's finishers, then both of them finished off with the spalsh...

Hope Ricky makes a speedy recovery, he has always been one of my all time faves...

It was just a coincidence that he took a few bumps and then ended up going to the hospital for real. Hopefully he will be alright and hopefully people aren't grilling the WWE for this. It wasn't their fault.

This was an entirely separate incident. It could be because of his age, it could be hereditary or if he smokes a lot it. A few small bumps wouldn't have caused it.

LOL. I'm sure its "cursed". What it is though in reality is undeveloped wrestlers with a bit too much anger issues.

The first time I caught it was on the Cena beat down. No one tried to protect him in any way. They just threw punches and kicks that landed hard as I noticed. And if it wasn't direct hits the pushes and shoves were hard. Cena was legitimately "beat up" by it. Then it happened against with Daniel Bryan. Not only was the spitting insulting but the hits thrown were hard and it looked painful. Then at F4W it happened again and this time Edge was there. Even he got some hard hits. No one tried to throw soft hits. And when it happened to Vince you'd think he'd get some sense to actually wonder if the wrestlers know what their doing. I guess this goes to show how professional the professional athletes like HHH, HBK, Taker, Y2J etc really are. They do it so well. This group however is full of amateurs and I think the legends beat down should finally wake Vince up to the fact that this is not a good idea.

If Ricky dies this won't just be another WWE screw up this would be the straw that broke the camels back. Linda's campaign will die and the WWE would finally be cited for lack of health insurance and safety issues.

Somebody tell me how they're going "too far" with the angle?
Yes, maybe the beat down did play a factor, but nobody is holding a GUN to these guy's heads & saying get in the ring, get clotheslined etc etc etc OR DIE!!

They have the right to say no. And they all have been in the ring before, experienced ring veterans they are.
This angle is nothing but pure genius, to say they've taken it too far is nothing but bullshit.
Yea, they beat up Vince McMahon, because, HULLO, he's only the CHAIRMAN of the whole company, what better way to make an impact!?!?!?
OH what??? They can't attack a superstar??? SO attack a WELL-RESPECTED LEGEND(S), and find a way to make an impact that way.
And again, nobody FORCED these guys or Ricky Steamboat, to get in that ring with the Nexus
RICKY GET WELL SOON!!!

Well you know, I was kinda mad just seeing it......and let me tell you why----first, you're pissing all over the fact that Steamboat has a DVD coming out, arguably, one of the top ten in my book. Then let him have his day for three minutes (even if that means we have to watch Michael Hays SAD display of dancing and strutting for the 774,756,005,983,795,998,408th time).......QUIT PUSHING THE ANGLE AT THAT TIME!!! There are plenty of opportunities to do it on the rest of the show. It was not necessary. They could have worked around the "you don't touch me, I don't touch you" angle....Lord...what was the back up? Slamming 127 year old Mae Young again?

Secondly, this is NOT 80'S AND 90'S WRESTLING!!! What worked back in the day is deemed "boring" (with chants to go along with it). Guys are more ---or appear more violent now, and since that seems to be the direction going these days, guys who are in their 50's,....bracing themselves for a throw into the stairs, whatever....are still gonna feel it in the morning. It's more fast paced than what it was.....and "creative" just doesn't get it. No matter how careful you are, or think you are---there is always room for a move gone wrong.

Last, but really first---I hope the best for Dragon. I watched him beat Macho Man in Wrestlemania III......awesome match (at least I think that's the number it was).

I trust that the WWE will market the shit out of that DVD though, and call me crazy but, the attack might actually play a sympathy factor in somebody buying his DVD (you never know)
as for Mae Young, I get scared for her health everytime she's in the ring
but point is, these guys aren't as old as she is, and Steamboat was just wrestling not too long ago
I read somewhere that he had a career ending injury or something like that, but like I pointed out before, him getting into the ring, i'm sure is STRICTLY voluntary & his CHOICE.
He has the right to say no, he knew what he was getting himself into.
If this injury to Steamboat doesn't happen, we would be calling it genius & pure wit.

They say this all the time, when you step into that ring, there is ALWAYS the chance you're going to get hurt, no matter how old.
Of course the older you are, the more the pain is going to linger i.e Scott Steiner would feel it for a week or something like that off of 1 match.
But these guys know, they're professionals

Wow, I watched RAW and saw he attack like all of the nexus's assault was very stiff but it I did not ever think any of them would of being as injured as the report says Ricky Steamboat is, I did not think this! But this is what everyone on this forum has being praying for... Something Non- PG and this is the result, eveyone comes on here and turns there back on their original hopes for PG 14.

My prays go out to Ricky though and I hope him a speedy recovery.

Ricky Steamboat having a brain aneurysm has absolutely nothing to do with the angle that took place on Monday.

A brain aneurysm develops over the years due to a weakness in a blood vessel in your brain and slowly grows bigger until it eventually ruptures. This is the same thing that killed Gary Coleman and messed up Brett Michaels.

At least one person reading this has one and does not know it, there is simply no way to know until it ruptures.

That is really sad news to hear but I am glad that his prognosis is good for the future.

To me, this cannot be blamed on the WWE and for last Monday in particular. I mean, these things happen in wrestling and will continue to happen. There is very little chance of catching an aneurism until it is too late and it seems as though Ricky Steamboat was just another example of this. I mean, the brutality he faced at the hands of the Nexus may have seemed a little much at the time but it was all pre-planned, I assume. If this was the case, there is no reason as to why the WWE should be blamed. If anything, Ricky Steamboat should have said that he wasn’t up to the challenge. I know that has never been, or will it ever be Steamboat but at the end of the day, your health needs to come first.

As I said though, no blame should go to the WWE. If Ricky thought that he was in no shape to do the spots, then there is no reason to go out there. I know there would have been some pressure but it could have been worked around. It is truly sad news that has befallen us but I cannot help but laugh at the people who are giving the blame to the WWE. Yeah, it is really their fault that Ricky Steamboat suffered a medical illness. Yes, he took some impact shots to his head but that was clearly a pre-existing condition and perhaps the WWE situation made it worse but at the end of the day, it comes down to Ricky Steamboat to say if he is up to doing it or not.

Still, my thoughts are with him in this hard time.

my neighbour had a similar injury when he fell of a ladder, (he is in his 70's and was very active until then), he has now recovered and starting to get back to his normal self :)
now to my main point my neighbour was very healthy and active until his accident, and it was a massive blow to the head that casued this problem (as many can guess).
Now i have checked over the attack and as far as i can see he took no heavy shots to the head (as far as i no) and all the stomps were to his chest area i think. i think the injury must of happened from either the spinbuster or the clothesline. As hi head would of taken a massive jolt from them both.

Any way back to the main point not matter how healthy u are in ure old age these things can happen and of cause it is very unfortunate and i wish ricky a speedy recovery but he knew the risks that could happen from it and he wasnt forced into it as far as i know. But shit happens and if ricky does not recover then this could be the end of the nexus angle as Rickys family is likely to sue then, and all of then could be fired, hopefully this wont happen and now all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best

I hope Ricky recovers soon. I have to say I don't think the Nexus attack led to Steamboat's hospitalization. The beatdown he sufferred looked bad but I don't think it was severe enough to put him in the ICU. However I do believe the Nexus attacks are getting a bit out of hand. My dad was watching Raw with me and when he saw the attack on the legends he immediately pointed out how dangerous the whole thing looked and I have to agree with him. I don't think WWE should have angle where legends are being beat down, especially when it's as stiff as what happened on Monday. You can argue the legends don't have to take these bumps but if Vince asks you to I doubt you would say no, especially if you are still employed by the company and the boss had taken the bump as well.

LOL. I'm sure its "cursed". What it is though in reality is undeveloped wrestlers with a bit too much anger issues.

The first time I caught it was on the Cena beat down. No one tried to protect him in any way. They just threw punches and kicks that landed hard as I noticed. And if it wasn't direct hits the pushes and shoves were hard. Cena was legitimately "beat up" by it. Then it happened against with Daniel Bryan. Not only was the spitting insulting but the hits thrown were hard and it looked painful. Then at F4W it happened again and this time Edge was there. Even he got some hard hits. No one tried to throw soft hits. And when it happened to Vince you'd think he'd get some sense to actually wonder if the wrestlers know what their doing. I guess this goes to show how professional the professional athletes like HHH, HBK, Taker, Y2J etc really are. They do it so well. This group however is full of amateurs and I think the legends beat down should finally wake Vince up to the fact that this is not a good idea.

If Ricky dies this won't just be another WWE screw up this would be the straw that broke the camels back. Linda's campaign will die and the WWE would finally be cited for lack of health insurance and safety issues.

Lmao, yeah, you would think Vince would get some sense to wonder if they knew what they were doing when it happened to him.

Actually, you know what he would think in reality? Not some jacked up fantasy land where left is right and up is down, like the one you live in? He would think "They didn't do anything wrong" BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T. No, this group isn't full of amateurs. No, they don't have anger issues. They're doing they're job and they're doing it well. Don't you think that if they were too hard on Vince, he would've told them to stop?? Don't you think they would've cancelled the beatdown on Steamboat??? HELLO??? Common sense here, anybody home???

I hate to be the one that has to tell you this, but you know who John Cena is? Vince McMahon? Yeah, guess what? THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU. Sorry. I know it's hard to hear. But it's true. Vince McMahon would not have gotten into the ring with them if they were too rough on Cena. And he sure as hell wouldn't have put Steamboat and the others in the ring with them if they were too rough on him.

Ridiculous.

Well this sucks. My thoughts are with Steamboat and his family.

Man, talk about the Nexus Curse. One of their biggest names gets fired, their leader has visa issues, and now this! I mean, I doubt Steamboat's aneurysm is any fault of the Nexus beatdown, because these things usually are a result of build-up, and if Ricky thought he was in any danger I'm sure he would have said something about the spots, but what shitty timing.

I hope Steamboat ends up all right. These things happen, but boy does it suck when they do.

I watched RAW live on monday and from the moment I saw the clothesline I thought it looked stiff.

Here is a video: the clothesline is by Skip Sheffield, 2 other nxt rookies whipped him into it, very awkward positioning in the ring, a lot of bodies taking up room.

at 2:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGa4hTYTPc

Everything else looked legit, this just looks a bit stiff and rough for a non-performer nearing 60.

Anyway what do you guys think of the clothesline? especially the short whipped distance.

Also looked up the condition on Wikipedia and it doesnt look like a great time for Steamboat right now, So best of luck to him and hopefully a full recovery.

I think the WWE is now going too far with the Nexus angle. I was looking at all the beatdowns that make & w/the exception of Cena, they all look completely stiff and they don't look like they're protecting the person they're fighting. The 450 splash on both Vince & Steamboat didn't look secure enough where neither of them had much room to protect themselves. And I know, everyone will chime in saying that he stays on the rope far too long which gives these men ample opportunity to protect themselves, but even still, these are 50+ year old men being splahsed at a very high speed by a 20-something year old.

Also, I think the angle from last Monday was in very poor taste as once again, they beat up on older people. I looked at the way they beat up Arn Anderson and wondered if they even KNEW he has neck problems. Then Dean. The way they just ran him into the guard rail was extremely hard. I know these guys are trying to make a name for themselves, but if something happens to Steamboat, God-forbid he dies or whatever, wow, I'll tell you right now there will be some serious legal problems for the entire WWE, especially Vince & these guys.
It's one thing to beat up on Cena. He's trainned to withstand certain blows on a regular basis, and yes I know it's fake, but real punches & kicks sometimes do get landed and sometimes a REAL slam can occur, or even worse, a real clothesline. WWE swears they're PG, but then something happens to one of their legends by the hands of some rookies? Amazing...Here's to Steamboat's speedy & full recovery.

The rookies are the last people I would blame because they are just that, rookies. The writers wrote the storyline knowing all of the facts(such as Anderson's neck injury). Everyone else who was involved in the angle including Vince and the legends did so voluntarily.

I think this might have been something he's had for awhile and might have been uncovered after he got checked out after the "beatdown"

I hope he gets better soon,He was one of the best.
You don't see that many true "technicians" in the ring anymore

He was in the ICU but has been declared to be in stable condition. I feel bad for Steamboat. He is getting up there in age but he can still wrestle with the best of them, which he showed with Jericho last year. Accidents and injuries happen in wrestling, and every wrestler knows the risks involved, especially those in their 50s and 60s. Some of the Nexus guys may have been working stiff, but it wasn't their intention to hurt Steamboat, if the aneurysm was related to the beatdown. The stress from the physicality of it surely increased his blood pressure, which may have contributed, even if he received no blow to the head. Either way, I hope he stops wrestling or participating in physical angles after this. He cemented his legacy at WrestleMania last year and has nothing left to prove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back