"Rich Blood"

The Boss

'The Boss' Of Pro Wrestling
The greatest birth name ever for a professional wrestler... and he never used it.

For those who don't know who I'm talking about, Richard "Rich" Blood, better known as Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat was given a name at birth that most wrestlers would covet. It was perfect for a professional wrestler. And one that he didn't have to worry about other people copywriting (not that, that was a problem in those days). But for some reason he went with the name of some stranger (Sam Steamboat) and stuck with it throughout his career.

I'm not asking anyone to question if this was a good or bad call because clearly Steamboat worked for him (that might be different in this day and age) but, if you were in that position with that name, would you have changed it?

Yes, Richard Blood makes me think Dick Blood and the thought of blood coming from my or any dick makes me uncomfortable. The Reak character on Game of Thrones almost made me stop watching the show.

You wouldn't name a wrestler Severed Cock.

Mod note: This is the greatest post ever made on Wrestlezone Forums. Don't even bother trying to top it. It will just make you feel inferior. Maybe you all should just completely stop posting altogether.

Being a HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN fan, I thought you of all people would appreciate a performer using a fake name over a real name in an era that called for the larger than life characters opposed to realistic ones. You didn't see Terry Bollea or Randy Poffo during that time, so why should Steamboat go by Richard Blood? Not only that, but a name like "Rich Blood" seems like a ready-made heel character if ever there was one. Ricky wasn't heel, and I don't believe he ever was, but you can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

"Rich Blood" or as GSB eloquently called it, "Dick Blood" would have upset what was the norm those days- using fake names to gain more notoriety. I'd argue that Steamboat would not have been as popular if he went by his real name at that time.

Or there's that whole section about Ricky Steamboat on Wikipedia that says he wrestled as Rick Blood in the AWA and Florida until Eddie Graham said "Hey, Rick Blood sounds like a heel name, and by the way, you look like that guy, Sam Steamboat."

Crazy how quickly a thread can be invalidated by just Googling.

Or there's that whole section about Ricky Steamboat on Wikipedia that says he wrestled as Rick Blood in the AWA and Florida until Eddie Graham said "Hey, Rick Blood sounds like a heel name, and by the way, you look like that guy, Sam Steamboat."

Crazy how quickly a thread can be invalidated by just Googling.

You know what else helps? Reading the first post where I clearly stated that this is not a thread looking in hindsight at Steamboat's decision not to use his birth name. This is a thread asking what you would have done in his position. Would you have stuck with Steamboat (or whatever name Graham happened to give you), or would you have gone back to your birth name because of how well it fits into the genera of wrestling?

Funny how in your desperate desire to insult me you only ended up making yourself look like a fool isn't it? :lol:

You know what else helps? Reading the first post where I clearly stated that this is not a thread looking in hindsight at Steamboat's decision not to use his birth name. This is a thread asking what you would have done in his position. Would you have stuck with Steamboat (or whatever name Graham happened to give you), or would you have gone back to your birth name because of how well it fits into the genera of wrestling?

Funny how in your desperate desire to insult me you only ended up making yourself look like a fool isn't it? :lol:

You seem to be confused about him never using the name...he did.

You also seem confused about why he chose Steamboat when you easily could've looked it up.

So all you really want to know is whether a bunch of guys on a message board would use a name different name? That's your whole burning question? :rolleyes:

Yes, Richard Blood makes me think Dick Blood and the thought of blood coming from my or any dick makes me uncomfortable. The Reak character on Game of Thrones almost made me stop watching the show.

You wouldn't name a wrestler Severed Cock.

Mod note: This is the greatest post ever made on Wrestlezone Forums. Don't even bother trying to top it. It will just make you feel inferior. Maybe you all should just completely stop posting altogether.

I just spit my beer all over my desk :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back