Report: The American Wolves & WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
For much of this year, there's been a lot of talk regarding Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards coming to WWE. Richards & Edwards are, arguably, the two biggest stars on the indie circuit right now in the United States. Both of them have generated a ton of buzz on the indie scene since the mid 2000s and are, quite possibly, the two biggest "indie guys" in American wrestling unaffiliated with either WWE or TNA. They've enjoyed their biggest success in ROH where they've both been ROH World Champion and were ROH World Tag Team Champions twice when teaming together.

According to a story from PWInsider.com, there's reportedly a lot of talk & debate going on among WWE executives to sign them. Some are in favor and some aren't. The story alleges that the biggest opponent of signing them is Triple H himself. It's a little surprising when you consider that Triple H has long been someone known for not looking down on "indie guys", nor does he buy into the stigma of being an "indie guy" as he's signed quite a lot of them the past couple of years. Apparently Triple H's reasons for not being all that keen on signing them is that, right now, he feels that there are enough "indie guys" signed and that they should ultimately look for more "larger than life" sorts of characters to avoid ultimately getting labeled as "one dimensional."

If this is accurate, then I can see both sides of the issue. I can understand the position of someone never having too much talent on the roster. In the US, as I alluded to, Richards & Edwards are possibly the two biggest stars on the indie scene. At the same time, the aspect of "larger than life" characters is something that's been a cornerstone for success in pro wrestling as guys like Ric Flair & Hulk Hogan changed the game. Trips also has to take into account that WWE spent several million dollars on the WWE Performance Center, so Vince especially would want to get the most out of it.

They are two of the biggest indie guys, but neither needs WWE. Bryan Alvarez made a good point this week on a podcast with Kevin Kelly about how when Davey was first breaking into the business he never wanted to go to the WWE, he didn't even watch WWE growing up, he watched NWA and Stampede Wrestling which is why he was so determined to make it to Japan where he could learn the style which is much more "his thing." When WWE offered Davey a contract in 2010 he turned them down and gave numerous reasons (didn't want to move, didn't want to be stuck in development, was happy in ROH, was still with NJPW) so the biggest question is now, whats changed?

As much as I like Davey he isn't the most trustworthy guy. Hes said he'll retire at the end of the year for the past three years - obviously things changed for him, divorce, ROH gave him more money, ROH World Championship etc, etc, but when he announced it this year it seemed like it was actually going to happen, especially considering the guy is one of ROH's highest paid guys, also works as a physical trainer and is a trained paramedic.

I don't know about whether WWE will sign them or not and to be honest, could care less, if they do or not I still get to watch them more or less every week in ROH, but if I'd to put my money on them signing I wouldn't. And if I was to put money on who I think would be signed first, I'd say Eddie.

I understand and agree with Triple H's point, WWE does need more larger than life guys. WWE is in the need of stars. Those big name guys that can draw crowds, sell merch, cross over into the main stream and entertain.

Buuuut at the same time, Triple H wants to put more focus on WWE's tag team division, so why would you hesitate signing one of the best tag teams out there? I bring them in as a team and throw them right on the main roster. When you realize that 3MB and Los Matadores get TV time right now, I don't see why these two wouldn't flourish.

I understand and agree with Triple H's point, WWE does need more larger than life guys. WWE is in the need of stars. Those big name guys that can draw crowds, sell merch, cross over into the main stream and entertain.

Buuuut at the same time, Triple H wants to put more focus on WWE's tag team division, so why would you hesitate signing one of the best tag teams out there? I bring them in as a team and throw them right on the main roster. When you realize that 3MB and Los Matadores get TV time right now, I don't see why these two wouldn't flourish.

This is the way I see it as well, I can see why WWE want to add some big personalities and also bigger sized guys to the mix, and if Edwards and Richards were being looked at as singles wrestlers I could understand WWE not really being that interested, I mean both are good in the ring but not all that charismatic or good on the mic.

However they are supposedly being looked at as a tag team, a division that Triple H seems to be putting some real focus on, and they would be fantastic additions, especially with The Shield set to be split.

Richards and Edwards aren't really a good fit for WWE. Let's face it, WWE is sports entertainment and they are professional wrestlers. When The Wolves wrestle, you suspend reality and actually believe what you're watching is real (more so with Richards). But when it comes to cutting promos and really being a "sports entertainer," these guys just haven't done it. I don't know if they can do it, but they haven't yet.

And let's be frank, Richards reminds me a hell of a lot of what Benoit was. From his look, to his intensity to a lot of his wrestling style. His moveset is quite different overall, but that's not what I was referring to. And for a company that tries their hardest to make us forget about Chris Benoit, bringing a guy in who reminds us of him kind of undermines everything they've been doing for over half a decade now.

And finally, what do you guys think would happen if they booked say Daniel Bryan vs Davey Richards at WM? No matter where you place that match in the card, it's going to not just steal the show, but be the entire climax to the event (unless they give them a 16 second squash match). You guys think Cena's going to be able to go out there and hulk up to overcome the odds after their match? Face it, when you got professional wrestlers as good as Richards, Edwards, Bryan, Punk, etc on the roster, the doofuses they match up with Cena are going to be a total letdown. And Triple H knows that he needs to protect his Main Eventer.

More overrated indie guys linked with WWE, you say? Meh. I don't really think we're missing out on much if they don't go to WWE. Again, it's this idea that exchanging various holds between high spots is what makes a good wrestler. I am a professional wrestling fan. I like a bit of spectacle, a bit of personality, which neither of them really have except when they're giving their arrogant shoot interviews.

WWE has Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Sami Zayn and Dean Ambrose. The only four indie wrestlers in the last decade who could really be great at the top level (sorry, Seth.) And that's why they're currently in the WWE. I think the only one missing from that collection is Kevin Steen, and even that is arguable.

So yeah, we may miss out on seeing some good matches without Richards and Edwards. But I wouldn't ever expect them to make any real difference to the product as a whole.

I like a bit of spectacle, a bit of personality, which neither of them really have except when they're giving their arrogant shoot interviews.

I was going to call a spade a spade and give you the rest based off subjective opinion (even though I think your opinion is wrong but whatever) until this part, Richards it stands to, but Eddie Edwards? That guy has literally never said a word wrong about anyone and is in-fact known for being a professional; last year when a promoter told him he couldn't pay him before a show Eddie wrestled anyway just so he could. That's called being a professional wrestler for the professional wrestling as opposed to the money. And yes, they exist.

Richards and Edwards aren't really a good fit for WWE. Let's face it, WWE is sports entertainment and they are professional wrestlers. When The Wolves wrestle, you suspend reality and actually believe what you're watching is real (more so with Richards). But when it comes to cutting promos and really being a "sports entertainer," these guys just haven't done it. I don't know if they can do it, but they haven't yet.

And let's be frank, Richards reminds me a hell of a lot of what Benoit was. From his look, to his intensity to a lot of his wrestling style. His moveset is quite different overall, but that's not what I was referring to. And for a company that tries their hardest to make us forget about Chris Benoit, bringing a guy in who reminds us of him kind of undermines everything they've been doing for over half a decade now.

And finally, what do you guys think would happen if they booked say Daniel Bryan vs Davey Richards at WM? No matter where you place that match in the card, it's going to not just steal the show, but be the entire climax to the event (unless they give them a 16 second squash match). You guys think Cena's going to be able to go out there and hulk up to overcome the odds after their match? Face it, when you got professional wrestlers as good as Richards, Edwards, Bryan, Punk, etc on the roster, the doofuses they match up with Cena are going to be a total letdown. And Triple H knows that he needs to protect his Main Eventer.
Somebody read the "IWC Opinion 101 manual". Are you serious? "Richards and Edwards are pro wrestlers and wwe is sports entertainment"? Lol that's hilarious. WWE, this generation, has the best in ring action it's ever had. Also, no, I don't fucking suspend disbelief at all when Davey no sells a headdrop or kicks out of a finisher for the 1000th time.

As far as Cena being "protected"....Samoa Joe, Ric flair, terry funk, RVD, CM punk, and Bryan Alvarez have 2 things in common: 1) they know more about what it means to be a good pro wrestler and 2) they say Cena is outstanding. Cena wrestles a way that fits his character and his big time matches always deliver.

I'm a guy who's been to several ROH shows and has a signed Bryan Danielson photo from his last ROH show in Chicago, Richards is overrated as hell. You opinion sounds like 2005.

I wouldn't mind the wolves going to the WWE but it's a totally different audience. Both guys no selling a string of slaps and head drops and finishers looks phoney. Wwe does a lot to protect finishers credibility. I'm not a big Richards fan, I think he's overrated. Edwards has never really caught my eye. It's neither here nor there for me. I think both are better suited for the indies because of their one dimensional ring psychology. DB and Punk had universal crowd psychology where they adapt to the audience. Richards pretty much only gets over in front of puro savvy audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back