• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: One More Match For Austin Never Happening?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
On a couple of other sites, including the main page, there's a report stating that Stone Cold Steve Austin will never wrestle again. Austin himself has stated several times in the past that it's not going to happen but, as always, who could really tell if he was serious and if he was just waiting for the right opponent & money offer?

However, in the report, it's being said that people close to Austin say that he got pretty banged up a couple of years ago when he was filming Tough Enough. Allegedly, he got into the ring and messed around a little bit, but wound up getting hurt. The incident is said to have "set off a light bulb" for Austin as to how dangerous it'd be to get back in the ring.

Now does this mean that Austin wouldn't take the risk if he was up against the right opponent and WWE offered him enough money? Not necessarily. However, it'd probably take a shitload of money to even get Austin to reconsider, FAR more money than any wrestler is worth. Austin's net worth is estimated at $45 million, so it's certainly not as if money is anything he has to worry about. As a result, if this report is legit, the info regarding his net worth is accurate and that he'll turn 50 just before the end of this year; I'd say there's no chance of Austin lacing up the boots again.

Good for him...

He doesnt need to come back, hes done all he can do in the business and imo there is nobody for him to face anyway. Cena already did the passing of the torch thing with The Rock, Punk is well gone, and I know ill get hated for this but DB because of his size would look ridiculous and I wouldnt want to see DB beat an icon like Austin. Honestly, I never was a huge fan of SCSA, I just couldnt relate to him at all, but I recognize the fact that he had a huge impact on pro wrestling and was probably the most over wrestler EVER during the AE. He should relax, watch all his old matches, and enjoy his money. He is truly one of the greatest of all time and I respect his decision.

We've seen plenty of retired wrestlers try and lace them up a few more times...and almost exclusively...it's sad. There's a part of me that marks out when Also Sprach Zarathustra hits...but then seeing Ric Flair after his 12th retirement or whatever it was just disappointed on every level.

I would love to see Austin return for a reboot of Tough Enough on the WWE Network. I'd love to see him come back and be the Raw GM, or the protagonist to HHH/Stephanie. Hell, the 17 year old kid in me does sorta dream of hearing that glass shatter, and Steve Austin storm through the curtains with his black boots, black knee braces, and black tights on. But mostly, I'm glad he's not gonna taint what's left of his legacy.

....I'd say there's no chance of Austin lacing up the boots again.

I'd agree, and would further ask: with each year that passes, fewer and fewer people will give a damn if he does or he doesn't. At one point, folks would have clamored for him to step in the ring one more time.....not to watch him deliver a Stunner to some sucker, followed by cheering as he chugged a Natural Light, but to see him actually engage in a match.

Now? Does it matter? Has he even had a match since 2004? I can't remember; which is kind of the point.

I felt he and WWE Productions missed a bet when they took so long after his active wrestling career ended to start his efforts as an action movie star. Can you imagine the attendance his cinematic efforts would have garnered a year or two after he stopped performing? People who never watched wrestling might still have gone to see his movies based on having seen him throw out the first pitch at baseball games and engaging in other crossover entertainment fields.

Instead, they waited until a lot of young folks didn't even know who he was. The result: a string of straight to DVD movies.

At one point, I would have loved to see him wrestle one more time. Now, I'd still watch if he did .....but while it would be a nostalgia-type treat for old-time fans, I doubt his participation would increase buy rates for a PPV.....rather, it might be more like Vader turning up to wrestle a low-impact match: nice to see, but just as easy to live without.

I've come to grips with Austin never wrestling again. I'm fairly certain a majority of fans who want him to wrestle finally realize he isn't coming back. Nor should he or feel like he has to. He gave the fans everything he had and then some. He did everything in the WWF a wrestler could do. Now he's branching off and doing a lot of cool things thanks to his time as a wrestler.

I'm sure he misses it. I have no doubt if the money was right and his neck wasn't in the shape it is, he would come back. But he's enjoying his podcast, which seems to grow by leaps and bounds every week.

I want to remember the Stone Cold that was a son of a bitch, beer drinking asshole who flipped off Vince McMahon every week. Not the one who stood in the ring, shook Vince's hand and announced the winner of Tough Enough.

Good for Austin, he has nothing left to prove in a wrestling ring. Someone should tell the same thing to Hulk Hogan...

Stone Cold Steve Austin is one of the great ones indeed! He could be looked upon as the Michael Jordan of the WWE. But Stone Cold will not be coming out of his retirement. His body has been through alot of the years that he has been wrestling in WCW, ECW, and the WWF/E. This man has been around! But I'm okay with Steve Austin's decision not to return to wrestling. I'll remember Austin for what he did during the Monday Night Wars. He was and still is a renegade who revolutionized the wrestling industry.

So a toast to Stone Cold Steve Austin and his wrestling career! OHH HELL YEAH!!!

As much as I would love to see Austin wrestle one more time,IF he thinks that even he can't handle it....I can accept it.
If all these reports are correct his neck is as strong as a stack of dimes!!
While he might be able to do a few movies here and there..that is a big difference from taking big bumps night in and night out.

I guess I can finally put my dream of an Austin/Hogan match permanently to rest,although here's how I see it ending...
Hogan "hulking" up,shaking a finger in Austin's face,Austin slaps it away,flips middle finger,boot to gut,stunner...1,2,3!!

Austin last official Match WM19 against the Rock. By the time it got to around WM24 or WM25,I always thought Austin was done wrestling and who could blame him. God Bless Owen hart (really god bless him)but he fucked up that match against Austin,knowing damn well he should have dropped to his knees and not his arse.. Of course when that happened Austin was on borrowed time. Austin is a tough SOB,but he doesn't need to wrestle One more Match.

Guest appearances,a few stunners here and there are fine. But the man is 50 years old damn there,he doesnt need to wrestle anymore. He is financially set,has his TV show Redneck Island,and is quite well off.

Austin gave us enough and ended his career exactly the way it should have....I have so much respect for him and am happy that he's staying healthy and enjoying the simple life.

I'm one of the people that really really wishes he would put on one more match at WM 30. I mean this is the biggest wrestling event in the history of the world. The next huge milestone will be WM 50, and Vince will not likely be around for that(although possible). So this is the Mania where vince should pull off all of the stops. That being said, I'd like to see Austin get paid a crap load of money to put on one more match. I think the best opponent would be Triple H just because they are familiar in the ring and can work a safe match. It would also be easy to fit into the storyline and they would basically just plug Austin into Punk's spot.

I don't think he needs another run or anything, just one more match. I think a lot of people, back when he wrestled again, expected to see him again at some point. All the other big names return for a match at some point. I was hoping that this was the year to finally see him. I still hold out hope that there is a deal that has been made that has only been discussed by Vince, Austin, and Triple H. No one out side of the three of them and their lawyers to know about until the actual return. It would be the biggest return in history.

Does he owe it to the fans? No. Especially not today's fans. Do I respect his decision to hang em up for good? Yes. But damn if I don't want to see it one more time.

Good for him...

He doesnt need to come back, hes done all he can do in the business and imo there is nobody for him to face anyway. Cena already did the passing of the torch thing with The Rock, Punk is well gone, and I know ill get hated for this but DB because of his size would look ridiculous and I wouldnt want to see DB beat an icon like Austin. Honestly, I never was a huge fan of SCSA, I just couldnt relate to him at all, but I recognize the fact that he had a huge impact on pro wrestling and was probably the most over wrestler EVER during the AE. He should relax, watch all his old matches, and enjoy his money. He is truly one of the greatest of all time and I respect his decision.

This.

I agree with it, even though I, as a huge fan of Cena, wanted to see him and Austin go face to face,even if Cena would have gotten loads of boos. I have marked out the few times they were in the ring together.
Also, yes ( ;) ) , I would hope to never see DB beat Austin because it would also look ridiculous to me as well, regardless of how great DB has been in the Never Say Die Underdog role.

I think this has been pretty obvious for a while. If he was going to wrestle surely he would have done it by now. Vince would instantly come up with the funds.

It doesn't mean, however, I'm disappointed. If this report is indeed true then it is annoying. I'd love for Austin to wrestle one more time. He is one of the biggest names in wrestling history and was THE guy in wrestling when I was growing up.

If Austin never wrestles again, so be it. I'd love for him to make a few more appearances though. He must be at WM30.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin will never come back for one more match.

I've always been a huge fan of Austin but I think we all knew Austin was never coming out of retirement.

He retired the perfect way at WM XIX against his #1 rival The Rock at the most star studded WrestleMania ever.

It's kind of sad when you actually think about all the possible dream matches we could've seen: Hogan vs Austin, Goldberg vs Austin, Lesnar vs Austin, Orton vs Austin, Punk vs Austin, Cena vs Austin...

But at the same time, today's fans don't deserve Austin.
Everyone were wanting Rock to come back and wrestle and BOOM everyone turns on The Rock.

Anyway "Stone Cold" Steve Austin will no doubt be remembered as one of the greatest pro wrestlers ever.

He had a perfect send-off at WM25.

3421983389_34f65e3386_o.jpg

Austin was wrestling against medical advice when he called it quits, it would be madness for him to comeback for one more match 10+ years after retirement.

You know when I first read this on the main page I thought to myself "dammit I really want to see one more scsa match" but then thinking deeper about it thats just selfish of me and of any fan who wants to see another match out of him. With his health problems I wouldnt get back in the ring either. What I really want from him and I think this would satisfy everyone, just appear once at WM30 and cut a promo, maybe stun someone and do one final beer bash and ill be happy with just that much.

On a couple of other sites, including the main page, there's a report stating that Stone Cold Steve Austin will never wrestle again. Austin himself has stated several times in the past that it's not going to happen but, as always, who could really tell if he was serious and if he was just waiting for the right opponent & money offer?

However, in the report, it's being said that people close to Austin say that he got pretty banged up a couple of years ago when he was filming Tough Enough. Allegedly, he got into the ring and messed around a little bit, but wound up getting hurt. The incident is said to have "set off a light bulb" for Austin as to how dangerous it'd be to get back in the ring.

Now does this mean that Austin wouldn't take the risk if he was up against the right opponent and WWE offered him enough money? Not necessarily. However, it'd probably take a shitload of money to even get Austin to reconsider, FAR more money than any wrestler is worth. Austin's net worth is estimated at $45 million, so it's certainly not as if money is anything he has to worry about. As a result, if this report is legit, the info regarding his net worth is accurate and that he'll turn 50 just before the end of this year; I'd say there's no chance of Austin lacing up the boots again.

It is not like Austin CHOSE to retire. His neck was such that a bump and him landing the wrong way could put him into a wheelchair. I'm sure most of you don't want to see that. Also, now that Punk is left, there is little point planning the Austin-Punk match the IWC wanted.

If Austin were to wrestle, he would need to dominate and be on offense the entire time. You couldn't do that type of match with Punk, for example. It would only work with Austin beating up a jobber (think Austin's match with Eric Bischoff at No Way Out 2003). It is a waste of Austin's time to risk injury to beat up some jobber.

The only way I could Austin doing a Wrestlemania again could be in a tag-team or 6-Man Tag, where others can carry the match, and Austin's role is to tag in, stomp his opponent, do a Thesz press, give the Stunner, and tag out. This way, the match can be more entertaining, and WWE gets its ratings spike by getting Austin involved.

I think they should have done this with WMXX, when they had Mick Foley and the Rock v Evolution. Sticking Austin into that match would have made it bigger, and he wouldn't have to do much in the match, but his mere presence would get buys. But he will never do another one-on-one match, and neither should he, or needs to.

As much as I would love to see Austin wrestle one more time,IF he thinks that even he can't handle it....I can accept it.
If all these reports are correct his neck is as strong as a stack of dimes!!
While he might be able to do a few movies here and there..that is a big difference from taking big bumps night in and night out.

I guess I can finally put my dream of an Austin/Hogan match permanently to rest,although here's how I see it ending...
Hogan "hulking" up,shaking a finger in Austin's face,Austin slaps it away,flips middle finger,boot to gut,stunner...1,2,3!!

You can still have your dream of an Austin-Hogan match, but it might mean having to play it on WWE2K14 video game or some other game, like I have.

I never thought he was ever going to wrestle again. Ever. Yes, we've had "rumors" for some years now, mainly from when Punk and Austin were having some fun on Twitter, but it was all fun and never meant to be taken seriously. Punk has stated that yes, his dream match would be against Austin, but you could always tell that nothing was ever going to materialize.

He did his time, had a lot of fun doing it, but he's retired. I don't see him ever coming back to fully do one more match. He doesn't owe the fans anything in the ring anymore, but he said he does owe his success TO the fans, which is why he is always talking with them on Twitter and giving people glimpses of the past with stories and what not.

He'll always pop up here and there on Raw or some PPV though and that's good enough for me.

Austin lost my respect after finding out he physically abused his previous ex-wife. And then to top it off, he portrayed a character in the movie The Expendables who was referred to as a man who doesn't mind hitting women...and then his character hit a woman. That said, I couldn't care less if he never wrestles again. I have no desire to see him in a ring now and it's been a long time since I actually did like him.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this thinking but I never really thought he'd wrestle again anyway. I mean outside of Undertaker, Daniel Bryan and John Cena, there's no character on the roster who's worthy of a match with a legend that popular. And out the three that are, only one of them would truly benefit from it. And out of the one that would benefit from it (Bryan), no one really wants to see Stone Cold lose to him in his final match. The only way Stone Cold (or Triple H for that matter) could have a meaningful career-ending match that matters to everyone, is if they face The Rock. It's the only satisfying ending to either one of those guys' careers. Win or lose to him, they'd both have a fitting end to their story with a man whom they rivaled over the years. But like I said, as far as Stone Cold goes, I personally wouldn't care if I never saw him again.

If only Kurt Angle listened to the same advice...

The reality is that Austin was the first to have the major problem in 97, the techniques to fix it weren't around that helped Edge and Cena recover from similar problems and continue. Every time he wrestled he was a) risking his life and b) compromising his own ability and standards, and that only increased over time.

Austin probably realises that his best back then wasn't really good enough, but he got away with it cos of his aura. Today the fans would not be forgiving, the match would be compromised and it just isn't worth the risk or damaging his legacy.

Guys like Edge always said they'd get out if they couldn't go 100% and ultimately did just that. Even Ricky Steamboat suffered a cost for his 2 matches with his anyeurism. It might have been there anyway but suddenly putting your body through even the most carefully put together match can be enough to disrupt it.

For the guy who is on the wifebeater rant... get over it, lots of people have hit their wives... probably people in your own family who wouldn't necessarily admit or be proud of it. It doesn't change his career. If you want to do righteous indignation, aim it at Jimmy Snuka who a judge said KILLED a woman, giving a civil judgement to say he did (and a now re-opened criminal case) and his being in the HOF... not at Austin.

I hope Austin does show at 30, I'd especially like it if he gets into Bryan's corner but most likely he'd be the ref and beer bash with Bryan at the end (not like he could do that with Punk)... Pepsi don't look so good foaming up.

Austin has nothing to prove and I don't think money comes into it. he would only come back to elevate the career of a future star but he owes no one anything and is not letting his ego get in the way of common sense. I think he has more than earned that right so hope he continues to enjoy his retirement

The older and stabler he gets, the less likely he is to get in the ring. Steve is currently a movie star working with the likes of Steven Segal, even if he's not on many Hollywood red carpets, he has a steady source of income to add to his WWE revenue. Austin is the only one in this business, that I can recall, who has been paralyzed and still continued to have a fulfilling main event career. The determination that was there to prove to himself, the company, and the fans that he was still capable of putting on a show is no longer there. I'm content with Austin's career and I have no doubts he feels the same way. There's nothing left to prove.

On one hand it is sad that we wont get to see him wrestle again. A few different guys would love to have a match with him & it would be a huge draw.

On the other I would prefer he didnt & end up getting seriously hurt. He has given us enough matches to be thankful for. He doesnt need the money & there is not anything he feels he needs to accomplish that he hasnt already.

He will still be around & show up for appearances so we really cant complain when fans still get a chance to see him in that capacity. I would much rather see him walk to the ring & talk some trash instead of end up injured & rolling out in a wheelchair. Hell, the man already came back from a serious neck injury & still gave us some great moments\matches. I would say that is enough & means plenty to his legacy- no need to risk it all for one more.

My personal opinions of Austin aside, who the fuck really knows what's about to happen.

I remember Jimmy Snuka getting back in the ring when he could barely walk and he managed to work a few spots with Chris Jericho. It was fucking terrible looking, but it happened and qualified as match.

The WWE recognizes that they get a bigger pay off on someone's return if they time the announcement right and leave people wondering up until then. Even if all the seats are filled already, it'll help jack the dvd sales to the power of ten if Austin manages to make a match happen.

Getting reliable information from the internet is like trying to get reliable information from two Spanish immigrants arguing over current events in broken English. One report says that Austin hurt himself on the set of Tough Enough, another report says Austin is quoted as saying "Bullshit!". Okay, is there a quote from Austin with dialogue that directly references what was suggested as having happened or did he stub his toe right before being quoted? Did Austin aggravate his neck injury during the "incident" where he "got hurt"?

Everything seems like an effort to get us talking about what may or may not happen, either way the WWE wins because we did their job by hyping this just in case it actually does happen. With overly inquisitive and pedantic minds like ours running through every possible lead with as much journalistic integrity as a Fox News contributor, they'll never have to be subversive in how they build hype.

It is not like Austin CHOSE to retire. His neck was such that a bump and him landing the wrong way could put him into a wheelchair. I'm sure most of you don't want to see that. Also, now that Punk is left, there is little point planning the Austin-Punk match the IWC wanted.

If Austin were to wrestle, he would need to dominate and be on offense the entire time. You couldn't do that type of match with Punk, for example. It would only work with Austin beating up a jobber (think Austin's match with Eric Bischoff at No Way Out 2003). It is a waste of Austin's time to risk injury to beat up some jobber.

The only way I could Austin doing a Wrestlemania again could be in a tag-team or 6-Man Tag, where others can carry the match, and Austin's role is to tag in, stomp his opponent, do a Thesz press, give the Stunner, and tag out. This way, the match can be more entertaining, and WWE gets its ratings spike by getting Austin involved.

I think they should have done this with WMXX, when they had Mick Foley and the Rock v Evolution. Sticking Austin into that match would have made it bigger, and he wouldn't have to do much in the match, but his mere presence would get buys. But he will never do another one-on-one match, and neither should he, or needs to.

that's edge that has said if he lands wrong he would be in a wheelchair. Austin said plenty of times that he could do it, but he doesn't want to get the wrestling bug again, cause when he retired last time it took a couple years to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back