• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report On The Triple H Concussion Angle

I like the concept, although I can't imagine how they'd keep this thing going until WM30. After all, a long term tease like that usually involves an active wrestler who's constantly in our sights to keep the angle going. If you throw out his WM appearances and this last PPV, how much has Triple H actually been on our TV screens the past couple years? And when he is, he's usually wearing a suit...... which reveals a lot in itself about how the man wants to be earning his living: we can tell whether he's in administrative or battle mode based on how he's dressed.

Of course, you have to appreciate the irony of all this; he'll prove how dangerous and foolhardy it is to engage in strenuous activity when afflicted with a serious brain injury, showing great courage and fortitude and risking being permanently incapacitated...... by wrestling one more match.

Only in pro wrestling.

It could still work exactly that way.....He "retires" to become the COO "full time" and the credit for such a thing can be given to Axel and Brock, jointly. He can then come out of retirement later for vengeance.

Sorta the same thing as the arm, last year? Sure. You must remember however....People are stupid. So yea.

The plan, according to F4WOnline.com as of right now, is for Trips to be taken off Raw for a while but to eventually return. It's being said that Stephanie & Vince will be brought on in an attempt to convince Triple H not to wrestle again, due to the concussion.

First off, this just reeks of more 'McMahon booking' in order to boost what they obviously see as sagging ratings. With Wrestlemania season over and the part-timers gone, there's obviously a lack of faith in the current crop of performers to carry the load. Despite the influx of newcomers WWE has introduced recently, from the Shield, Big E, to Curt Axel, Vince and co. obviously don't trust them to be able to draw enough interest. So they'll make it the McMahon show in order to re-establish 'credibility'.

Will it draw my interest? Sure. But it will take the spotlight off of people who need it to develop, and put it back on characters who have been here since the 90's. Who benefits from that?
It's still really early in this, but the most obvious direction at this particular time looks to be towards a retirement angle. I have a feeling that this is something that could be made to last for several months, or longer, as a set up for what could be a retirement match for Triple H. The one problem with the idea, or at least it's probably a problem to some, is that it's hard to picture Triple H not hanging it up until having one more mega match at WrestleMania. I can see that line of thinking. I don't know if WWE will be able to really keep the angle going until then and keep it interesting. I've never read anything regarding when Triple H wants to call it quits or at what event, it's just a natural assumption that it'd be at WrestleMania.

I would think so too. The problem is, this drags this out for a year. Everything John Cena did heading into Wrestlemania 28 was overshadowed by the fact that he was facing the Rock at Wrestlemania, making other opponents seem like afterthoughts. If they want to do a true injury angle with HHH, allow someone to put him out. Let him keep wrestling injured, until he simply can't go anymore.

Unlike Vince and Steph, he's a performer, and he can put people over, even if he beats them. Let him beat a few guys in competitive matches to show that he's 'fine', all-the-while getting worse in the process. Do a big match at Summerslam, where an up-and-comer like what Sheamus was in 2010 ultimately take HHH out. HHH truly brings star power, and if done right, this angle can help advance talent.

The inclusion of Vince & Stephanie into the angle makes me wonder about something, and this is a long shot but still something I've wondered. If they go ahead with the plan of having the two of them try to convince Triple H not to wrestle anymore, I'm wondering if Vince might sort of "sacrifice" himself for the sake of his son-in-law. By sacrifice, I mean voluntarily stepping down as the CEO of WWE in order for Triple H to take his place as a means of protecting him. Its an extreme long shot but it's an idea worth mulling over a little.

Eh, this just leads to more McMahon family drama, which is the last thing the show needs. Who benefits from that? Vince looks like a hero, Steph the empathizing wife, and Paul Heyman will obviously be involved. Lesnar did the damage, and his credibility was somewhat restored. But there's nothing left with that feud, so doing talking segments involving the McMahon's and Paul Heyman helps noone.

Generally, I'm optimistic, and look for the good in the product, but I simply can't see how this benefits anyone, except the McMahon's egos. HHH can be a tremendous commodity if he's wrestling consistently, but if it;s just promo time, it's wasting what he does best.

Let him wrestle 'injured' for awhile, build to a big match at Summerslam, and then have him taken out. If they use Vince and Stephanie to try and convince him to not wrestle and he does regardless, that works for me. But Vince stepping down as CEO simply to 'protect' HHH makes for redundant TV.

Let HHH do what be does best: Wrestle. Even though the focus was on HHH on Raw, it was a rub for Joe Hennig just to main event with him and get offense in. Use HHH every few weeks in that capacity, and it's an effective angle.

But bringing in more authority figures to convolute things is the last thing this programming needs. HHH's best role is as a wrestler, why mess with what he does best? Done right, this can and should build to a good retirement match at Wrestlemania 30.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as everyone else, who believes this whole concussion angle is leading to a retirement angle. With Triple H stepping in, and "relieving" Vince McMahon of his duties to announce his COO position, and since Triple H lost to Lesnar at Summerslam last year, WWE has really teased and played up the possibility of Triple H being done as an in-ring competitor for good. I can still remember the very long-winded and corny (I'll always be a big fan of the guy, but it's just the truth) "I'm not going to retire, but I'm thinking about it" speech/promo from Triple H on Raw after he lost to Lesnar at Summerslam. WWE could milk this until Wrestlemania, because let's face facts, Triple H has pretty much been in part-timer territory for a handful of years now.

As far who faces Triple H at Wrestlemania 30 in a "win or retire" match, eh, I dunno. It's kind of tricky. Lesnar is out. Maybe, JUST maybe if they didn't have this match at Extreme Rules, then you could put Lesnar up against Triple H at Mania 30, allowing Lesnar to get the sweetest form of revenge. But four VERY high profiled matches in two years is just too much. I know Shawn would be a popular and more importantly logical route to take storyline wise, but I just can't picture Shawn coming back for one more match. Let's give him credit, he's taken his retirement seriously, and I can't picture him going back on his word to The Undertaker. There's a lot of history with Randy Orton, and WWE could always turn him heel again, but for such a big moment, Orton would feel so random, because either man hasn't had any contact with each other in years.

IF WWE doesn't go with Cena VS Taker, then maybe you could throw John Cena in the hat for possible opponents, and I'm sure WWE would find a way to make it work. And then I would put Sheamus int the mix as a darkhorse. They had a pretty damn good match at Wrestlemania 26, and I'm sure the Irishman would provide a tough challenge for Triple H.

Either way, someone is going to have to put Triple H down for good. He's not going to walk away willingly. Using a more recent example, Triple H couldn't stand on his two feet without help, but he still wanted to continue the match on Raw this past Monday. Triple H is tough, stubborn, and he has too much pride to just walk away. No, he's going down with a fight.

But if Wrestlemania 30 is chosen as Triple H's swan song, then you can just go ahead and pencil in this match for the main event, because like it or not, Triple H's final match will close the show for the big goody-bye standing ovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back