• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Remembering the Jobbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
All's I can find is The Dublin Destroyer's name was Brian Donahue. He looked a little like Finlay but was far too big.

I remember when Brady Boone became Battle Kat... That was funny Shitz...

There was another jobber, cannot remember the name. This guy got injured and won like $25m in damages from the WWF. Anyone know the name of the guy and what he is upto now?

Darren Drosdov or however it was... he use to puke all the time... won tons of money from WWF/E is paralyzed i believe... was a good jobber to for most his career as his gimmick made him awesome... much like Santino is the past few years, although he is getting better.

Was it Bill or Randy Mulkey? They only won one match against the Gladiators. I still remember Jim Cornette talking about Mulkey-Mania, and them being the 76th ranked contenders to The Midnight Express' US tag titles. Great stuff.

A jobber I remember going quite far back is a guy called Mark Starr. I don't know how much success he had before being in WCW (probably none) but when I saw him, he flat out jobbed. I remember him losing to Giant in a 4 on 1 handicap match in about 30seconds, and being beaten by Alex Wright a couple of times. If anything makes a man a jobber, it's losing to a glorified jobber like Alex Wright. Anyway, those aren't the reasons why he's my favourite jobber. His match with Rick Rude is the reason why he's my favourite jobber. Rude just beats the shit out of him. Absolutely kills him. Watching it at the time, I loved it. I'd never seen a wrestler seemingly try to hurt the other guy so much before, but Rude did that and Mark Starr just sat there and took it like a bitch. Like all good jobbers should.

[YOUTUBE]sRhTMnYR5io[/YOUTUBE]

Before I get to my official old school answer, I just want to comment on the greatest and most beloved jobber of all time... Mickey Whipwreck! He's really the only jobber I can remember who fully had the support of the fans nearly every time he wrestled, and would eventually become World Champion of his respective company just because of the popularity he sustained while being a jobber.

Anyways, my answer is none other than Jose Luis Rivera. As a kid, this dude always caught my eye, because I noticed every time I watched him, he NEVER got a shot in, lol. Even as a little kid I fucking noticed that... it became HILARIOUS. He was apart of a tag team called Los Conquistadores and I don't think those guys ever won a single match, but it was Rivera who was intriguing to pay attention to since he never got any of the heat spots; he was only there for the faces to make their comeback and lose the match for his team. He must have been his tag team partner's bitch behind the scenes or something, because not once do I remember this dude giving the chance to look good. Nah, I'm just kidding with that last sentence, because it was the same with singles matches, too. The guy just never caught a break in the ring. It's incredible when you think about how in such a long career, not once was this guy able to look good, but yet he kept a job for so long. Amazing!

Also, I love the fact that Barry O, Bob Orton's brother and of course Randy Orton's uncle, was a jobber. I don't think he's ever been mentioned once since Randy's debut, which pretty much still makes him a jobber since they're ashamed to let the audience know that Randy has Barry O blood in him, lol.

Great thread.
I'm thinking one of my favorites from back in the day was a guy named "Special Delivery" Jones. I don't remember him winning any matches either but he was one of the best.

I love this thread. There were a lot of people who will forever be remembered for their lack of success, which, ironically, is successful in itself.

D-Man listed two great ones, which I remember quite fondly. He covered all the bases but I just wanted to add that I loved the self pat on the back Horowitz did, and marked out when they gave him his little mini-push.

(Funny fact: just today in the mail I got an autograph package of 4 autographs. Two names would fit into this category, the aforementioned Horowitz himself, and Tony Garea. I actually even remember looking Barry up on Wiki not that long ago. Coincidences are fun sometimes...)

Mike Sharpe was another one I remember from back in the day. It's funny, because he does look like a pretty bad dude. Just by looking at him you would think monster heel, not jobber.

Somebody stole my pick, though. Jackal960 mentioned S.D. Jones but I want to mention him again, and give him a more fitting post as not much history was mentioned. Not dogging ya, Jackal, just wanted to give one of my favorites as a kid his due.

Now my memory isn't what it used to be, and I don't know everything about his history since I was just a kid when I watched him on my television screen, so I will post the Wikipedia entry in its entirety. I think a detailed history is in order for a very special (pun intended) jobber of years gone by...

Conrad Efraim (March 30, 1945 – October 26, 2008) was a former professional wrestler best known as Special Delivery Jones or S.D. Jones from his time in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). He also wrestled in Jim Crockett Promotions and the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), and he won the NWA Americas Tag Team Championship three times.[4]

Before becoming a wrestler, Efraim worked at a telephone company.[4] While there, he began training under Johnny Rodz in the sport of professional wrestling.[4] Upon completion of his training, he quit his job and began working for NWA Mid-Atlantic under the name "Roosevelt Jones" in a tag team with his partner and kayfabe cousin Rufus R. Jones.[3] While there, they had a memorable feud with the Anderson family (Ole and Gene).[3]

On January 17, 1975, after leaving the Mid-Atlantic area for California, Jones won his first of three tag team titles, combining with Porkchop Cash to take the NWA Americas Tag Team Championship from the Hollywood Blonds (Buddy Roberts and Jerry Brown).[5] The following month, Jones and Cash dropped the titles back to the Blonds. Jones won the title again in 1977, teaming with Tom Jones to defeat Black Gordman and Goliath.[5] Gordman and Goliath regained the championship, but Jones and Jones won the belts back from them on November 18, 1977.[5]

Jones also continued to wrestle in the WWF as a mid-card babyface who would give the heels a hard time but end up losing.[6] He did, however, win quite a few matches on smaller cards against lower card or fellow mid carders like Ron Shaw and Johnny Rodz.[3][7] Jones was often featured in tag team matches partnered with Tony Atlas, and the two challenged Mr. Fuji and Mr. Saito for the WWF Tag Team Championship several times in 1981.[7] On one occasion, the two ended up as the final men in a battle royal and flipped a coin to decide the winner, as seen on the WWF Coliseum Video 'Best of the WWF Volume 4' and 'Grand Slams' video cassettes.[8]

He was also the tag team partner of André the Giant on November 13, 1984 when André's hair was cut by Ken Patera and Big John Studd.[9] At WrestleMania, he famously lost to King Kong Bundy in twenty-five seconds from bell to pinfall, however the official match time was given as nine seconds.[10]

Despite mainly being used as a preliminary talent in the 1980s WWF, Jones garnered further recognition when LJN created an action figure of him for their Wrestling Superstars toy line.[4] He also appeared in the WWF's music video for Land of a Thousand Dances.[4] In 2006, SD Jones appeared for the WWE inducting Tony Atlas into the Hall of Fame.[11] After retiring from wrestling, Jones lost a considerable amount of weight and took a job at the New York Daily News.[4]

Efraim died in Antigua on October 26, 2008, following a stroke suffered two days earlier.[2]

I know this was a bit long, and I apologize. But let me ask you this. What other jobber do you know (well, besides Ted Arcidi off the top of my head) who had his own action figure, especially back in the day??? Not only did he have an action figure, I remember he was so f'n cool he had TWO. One w/a red shirt, and one w/a Hawaiian shirt. How many jobbers do you know that get one action figure, let alone two?? Exactly. But S.D. Jones freakin' did it.

His action figure accomplishments nothwithstanding, S.D. Jones was a hell of a charismatic guy. I always wondered later on why he didn't get farther than what he did. Not that his career was horrible, for a jobber. I remember him best for teaming up w/Andre the Giant and just going from memory you could tell there was a look in his eyes that showed he truly loved what he was doing, even if he wasn't in the ME scene.

S.D. Jones, for me, will always be remembered as a bright, energetic, happy guy who's personality shone through every time he was in the spotlight. Even in Wrestlemania when he knew he was going to get jobbed in record time, he came out there and cut a promo as though he was going to pull off an underdog victory and jump start his path to the top. And you even almost believed him.

Good old S.D., may he rest in peace.

Edit: sorry, cl, I must have been typing as you were posting. Didn't know you'd beat me to mentioning him again...

Great thread.

I always like S.D. Jones too, he always had a big smile, and that bang-bang hand motion before he got creamed. The Brawler was entertaining...he made people look forward to seeing him getting squashed.

I always like Los Conquistadores as tag team jobbers! They always tried the Killer Bee mask switch maneuver, but it never, ever worked for them. But somehow seeing Los Conquistadores go against Demolition or Strike Force was better than seeing a random pairing of jobbers. It's like some thought went into the team, with the matching costumes, and an actual team name and all, so MAYBE they could win (especially if Edge & Christian happened to be wearing the costumes).

Are you thinking of Horace Hogan, Huegtoad? I remember he was supposed to be Hogan's nephew or something...maybe he even actually was, and they attempted to give him a small push, but nobody was buying it.

I remember Dave Sullivan looked a LOT like Hulk Hogan when he was imitating him, it was hilarious!

The Mulkey's are my favorite tag team jobbers
I do like Iron Mike Sharpe & Steve Lombardi,
But my favorite jobber is Salvatore Ballomo, The Italian Stallion
I remember seeing two jobbers wrestle against each other on Prime Time Wrestling one time and thought it was cool because one was going to win for a change.

from my time period i would say goldust. even though he had his golden moments, he is a jobber, one of the most respected ones though. he has made so many people look good. we all wanted goldust to get a push at some point and we all rooted for him in matches we knew he woudn't win. he can give promos and put on clinics and uses all that to put the other person over,sounds like a hell of a guy.

santino is def the funniest jobber of all time though

and it would be kane but thank god he's had title runs so he's not really counted as a jobber anymore though he was at some points so he would be the greatest jobber if they didnt give him his due (it killed me to say that, kinda a kane mark) haha

My father told me of a jobber he remembered from the mid-'70's. The guy was skinny as a rail and had no musculature to speak of. He functioned as a face and always came out with all guns blazing, only to be bludgeoned into defeat by a top heel. At least he usually got some offense in, unlike many other jobbers.

Gorilla Monsoon commented that: "The young man's day is coming." Soon, though, he left wrestling to be a minor league baseball player. His name was Randy Poffo and by the time he returned to wrestling, you know who he became, right?

Most guys who started out as jobbers never became anything more, but here was a notable exception.

To be fair, D-Man, your original post did not specifically disallow the modern jobber nor did it provide a year cap of what you were looking for. The question you asked is as follows:

"So, does anyone else have a favorite jobber or any memories about any of them that stick out in your mind? If so, please list them and give us a little bit of insight about them in order to teach the youngsters that pro-wrestling wasn't always about glitz and glamor."

One could argue that wrestling of old was far more concerned with glitz and glamor than that of today, but never mind. By your response, I take it you were looking for jobbers of an earlier day. So, allow me to rectify my mistake in not anticipating this and go back a bit further to my favorite jobber of old:

The Goon!

I'll admit that longevity was not his strong suit, but boy what an impact he had when he was there, so much so that he's on nearly every list of "Worst Gimmicks of Wrestling". How could you not enjoy watching this guy get the tar kicked out of him immediately after seeing him enter the room, let alone the ring? The man came out in ice skates for crying out loud. What's more, I can't even think of a time at which he was able to put up a single offensive during that gimmick. Additionally, the WWF at that time must have thought this gimmick would go over because they even had him in a match with The Undertaker (an extreme squash but it still stands that this hockey jersey wearing cretin shared the squared circle with the Phenom himself.) I think that when one compares residual fame to how long he lasted, The Goon is among the better jobbers.

from my time period i would say goldust. even though he had his golden moments, he is a jobber, one of the most respected ones though. he has made so many people look good. we all wanted goldust to get a push at some point and we all rooted for him in matches we knew he woudn't win. he can give promos and put on clinics and uses all that to put the other person over,sounds like a hell of a guy.

santino is def the funniest jobber of all time though

and it would be kane but thank god he's had title runs so he's not really counted as a jobber anymore though he was at some points so he would be the greatest jobber if they didnt give him his due (it killed me to say that, kinda a kane mark) haha

KANE??? :wtf: Dude, how can a guy who's never been worse than a borderline main eventer be a jobber??? Maybe he's been a jobber to the stars for short periods of time, but he's certainly never been close to a jobber! Santino and Goldust are closer, but they're nowhere near jobbers either. Both have won the IC title multiple times and been tag champs.

I know you're not the only one, but seriously people...stop listing midcarders as jobbers! A jobber is a guy who's just a name. No character, no gimmick, not even a face or heel. No entrance music, doesn't talk on the mic, NEVER wins a match.

Anyway, I agree with the OP, Barry Horowitz was my favorite. The whole patting himself on the back thing was awesome.

My first prolonged exposure to American wrestling was WCW Worldwide and they had some great jobbers...
l_208340d5e6c240ce35e86a65a934cab3.jpg
Rip Rogers was class because he was a heel jobber and was still over with the crowd.
state-306x221.jpg
The State Patrol were also very over, who doesn't like to see Smokey get his ass handed to him?
01.jpg
The Italian Stallion was one of WCW's most over face jobbers - people honestly wanted him to defy the odds and win (but to no avail).
03.jpg
Last but not least of my personal favourites was 'Jumpin' Joey Maggs because he exemplified the typical jobber - ie he didn't look like he had a hope in the vast majority of matches (and in fact didn't) but like the Italian Stallion he was known by the faithful and we always pulled for him hope against hope.

I'd have to go to my favorite Jumpin' Jim Brunzell, who slowly became a Ham and egger. He had what most jobbers didn't have, credibility. He was considered to be good when he was with Bee Brian Blair with the killer bees, but soon wilted away as a jobber, even though he had what Gorilla Monsoon called one of the most devastating dropkicks in professional wrestling. His jobbing actually made me sad, because as a child I marked out for the Bees.

I also remember Jim Powers, he was strong enough looking to actually give slightly more credibility to the stars who beat him

Duane Gill was just a punching bag, no one sold a complete ass kicking better.

This is a great thread. My two personal favorite jobbers were Dale Wolf and Jim Powers. Jim may be pushing it a little since he was in an actual tag team with Paul Roma, the Wild Stallions but if he were ever to wrestle alone you could bet the farm that he'd lose. The great thing about Jim was that he had a good look and put up a fight but would ultimately lose.

Dale on the other hand, was out of shape with a great mullet and mustache. He had the standard jobber uniform, the satin baseball jacket and when his name was called he'd throw up his fist. I dubbed the fist move, the classic "air punch". The move would just show that the jobber would give it his best shot but get destroyed in two seconds. Miss those guys.

I don’t think guys like Santino Marella, Jamie Noble, and Norman Smiley are the guys D Man had in mid when creating this thread. For the first ten years I was a fan I saw countless jobbers who never made any impact whatsoever in the WWF. I’m talking about guys like Tom Stone, Terry Gibbs, Reno Riggins, Tony Devito, Jim Evans, Mike Bell, and countless others that I’ll never remember the names of.

I understand what you mean when he didn't have them in mind. I didn't start watching wrestling till 1994 (9 years old) so I don't remember a lot of the jobbers.

with that said, there are still a lot of recent/good jobbers. Funaki for example lol

genius4.jpg

The guy that came to mind for me would have to be "Leaping" Lanny Poffo. He is the brother of the "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and was in his brother's shadow from the very beginning. Although Lanny was not a bad wrestler, he just didn't have the "IT Factor." He did have a few career highlights, such as a win over Hulk Hogan, but he never amounted to anything but a jobber. Sure, "The Genius" may not have been a jobber in ICW, actually he was a 4-time World Champion there, but you have got to remember that it was his father Angelo's promotion. In the WWF, his biggest claim to fame was the poetry that he would read and recite. The fans actually got behind Lanny for a while, he was never meant to be much more than a jobber.

Poffo had much success as an independent wrestler before and after his WWF days, but he just couldn't shake the fact that he was a jobber. Also, I don't think that being the brother of such a legend helped him. Lanny could never really live up to Randy, thus he pretty much got stuck with the jobber label. Personally, I enjoy watching him, if only for pure entertainment value. He is a top of the line jobber, if there is such a thing.

First time poster... Long time reader. Love the topic!
Anyone remember "Sodbuster" Kenny Jay or George "Scrap Iron" Gadaski?
They were the AWA jobbers back in the 70s when I began watching. (Guess my age kiddies!) I recall a match on tv they had pitting these 2 against each other... Went to a time limit draw, as you would guess!
All of the jobbers on AWA and (then) WWF and NWA who got the snot beat out of them did as they were paid to do.... Get the other guy over and dont be stupid.

Gotta go with "The Winner" Barry Horowitz, and the Brooklyn Brawler, Steve Lombardi.

The thing about Horowitz is that many people forget that after years and years of losing, the WWF actually let him win a series of matches against Bodydonna Skip, I think. From then on, he changed his nickname to "The Winner". I remember good ol' JR shouting "HOROWITZ WINS! HOROWITZ WINS!" JR was so damned excited for him, you couldn't help but cheer.

As far as the Brooklyn Brawler goes, I remember Lombardi before he was the Brawler. For most of the 80s, he was simply Steve Lombardi. He gets the nod just for longevity. Most jobbers don't stay in one company for all that long, but Lombardi has been seen occasionally in WWF/E rings for 3 decades now.

10.jpg
\

AKA Gilberg has always been my favorite jobber. Duane Gill was trained by the veteran, Larry Sharpe. He debuted in 92 as part of a tag team, the executioners. However the Executioners did not make it very long. They were in WWE a year or two later before returning to the indy scene. At Survivor Series 98, he re-debuted as part of the J.O.B squad as Mankind's mystery opponet. Gill also retired Marc Mero. Marc said if he didn't beat Gill that he would retire. He lost to Gill and retired. Gill, then one his first and only championship in the WWF, when he won the light heavyweight title from Christian. Duane Gill, got a name and gimmick change as he was turned to, "Gilberg" to parody Goldberg. This is when and why he became my favorite jobber. He had entrance just like Goldber and it was hilarious. He returned in 07 at the 15th anniversary of Raw and I actually marked out. I have never marked out to a jobber before and I more than likely, never will again.

True story I actually know Duane Gill, he coached my friends little league team, as well as headbutted some guy and got banned from said little league because he was screaming at kids. Really cool guy, always really nice, and willing to do just about anything for his fans here. He just opened up a wrestling school not terribly long ago, got some local coverage for it too. Fun fact, his light heavyweight reign was the longest in WWF history, clocking it at over a year. He actually had the title on a mantle above his fireplace for a while. To me Duane will always be the best Jobber that nobody really talks about unless you mention Gilberg.

Great thread!

My answer isn't going to be breaking any new ground, but Barry Horowitz will always be the one who stands out the most to me. I know someone else mentioned it, but I wiki'd him a few weeks ago too. :p

And D-Man, if memory serves correctly, I do think he had a brief program where he beat Skip from the Body Donnas. I think that's when he started doing the back pat, because he finally won a match.

What wonderful memories!
Used to love the Jobber squash matches in WCW.
I do believe Rob Van Dam and Raven were jobbers in their early WCW careers, as Robbie V and Scotty Flamingo respectively. Although the latter definitely had a bit of success in his later, pre Johnny Polo days.
LOVING FitFinlay4Life's list! I personally liked Sgt Buddy Lee Parker - he even had a bit of a gimmick going on! Though he did compete in one of my fave PPVs ever - Starrcade 91 - the Lethal lottery (WWE N E E D to bring this back!!!), so does he really qualify as a Jobber?
The one I will always remember, was a sad pasty faced, overweight disgrace of a man, by the name of Doug Taylor. Only ever seen once in a complete squash against the rap master PN News, circa '91. He got no offence in, and was literally thrown around the ring like a rag doll. His only movements were lifting a leg in the air, lamely, in between being slammed and jumped on. I appreciate not every wrestler is Jacked up, but this guy was a physical disgrace... In our household, the name Doug Taylor will forever be synonomous with "Jobber".
I tried youtubing etc, to find something but no joy.
:(

I really miss the Jobbers.
The Brain really has a point - the guys at the lower end of the card really benefitted from these guys, as they had a chance to show their moves, without damaging the credebility of another superstar.
Plus you could really showcase your monsters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sVl95KI2c
Respect out to Joe Thurman!
Plus, then when we had two legit superstars meeting it really would be something special. That's not to say every match was a jobber match. Hell, I used to be satisfied with a main event of Ravishing Rick Rude vs Van Hammer! Of course, Rude is in a different class and Hammer would lose, clean from the Rude awakening, but he would be able to get a showing in...

Sorry for the OT rant!

My dad showed me a jobber from Memphis Wrestling...Anyone remember Tony Falk? He lost every match as a jobber, and then turned into Boy Tony, a big heel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back