• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Remembering the Jobbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brooklyn Brawler, Duane Gill (a.k.a. Gilberg) and Barry Horowitz have got to be my favorite and most memorable jobbers... I still remember Barry beating Skip a.k.a Chris Candido. Duane Gill holding the Lightheavyweight title was another memorable moment. But I don't remember the Brawler winning anything.

S/N Who here remembers Todd Pettengill (a.k.a the guy Michael Cole Replaced)?

I don't know if these guys could be entirely classed as jobbers as they were part of a couple of major storylines, but I am going with THE MEAN STREET POSSE

Pete Gas and Rodney were childhood friends with Shane McMahon and were brought into the WWF without any official wrestling training, while Joey Abs was brought in to be the worker of the team- he had been on the indie circuit for a while.

The Posse were basically a joke, barely ever winning a match (although all members would eventually hold the hardcore title for a few seconds each). They were pretty awful in the ring, and were quickly reduced to the level of enhancement talent before eventually ending up in the developmentals before being released.

I loved these guys coming to the ring dressed in sweater vests and dress pants, and they had a great entrance theme, I always loved seeing these guys get their asses kicked.

[YOUTUBE]b7R3Dootrzw[/YOUTUBE]

Even though they were official members of the rosters, and did have their own entrance theme/gimmick unlike jobbers from the past, I would still class these guys as jobbers. They were basically there to lose, and that is pretty much all they did

Good shout with The Mean Street Posse, Natural. Joey Abs could kind of go, he used a gut-wrench suplex if i remember correctly. Do u remember when they gave Pete Gas and Rodney finishing moves? Pete used 'The Gas Mask', sort of like Luke Gallow's 12th Step. And Rodney had a top rope finish called High Society but I cant recall what It was? Do u remember?

Anybody remember Just Joe from WWF Circa 2000? He had a messenger/gossip/informer gimmick with a lame-ass Tron which had him and a speech bubble saying ''Don't Shoot The Messenger''.... Kinda weak, but kinda epic at the same time ;)

For me I'll go with the late Frankie Williams, the man that Roddy Piper kicked th crap out of on Piper's Pit ! He would come out on T.V. week after week and just liike the Mulkey brothers he'd take a beating.

Others:

Jake "The Milkman" Millman
Tony Zane
Ted Grizzly
Charlie Fulton
Randy Hogan
Mike Jackson

wow so many memories...
my favorite jobbers are from Jim Crockett promotions and most have been named already. There's The Italian Stallion, tough looking guy that every week I believed would win finally, Tony Zane who had his neck broken by Vladimir Petrov if I remember right, Rocky King of course, The Mulkey Brothers (classic!!), Thunderfoot 1&2, The Ding Dongs (have to see if you can dig up some video of these guys if you have no idea who I'm talking about!), Hector Guerrero (though he was semi-legit back in the day, NWA used him mostly as a jobber) there was a match I remember very well to this day, The Four Horsemen of Flair, Blanchard, AA and Luger vs Hector Guerrero, Italian Stallion, I think Rocky King and someone else and it capped off the show. The jobbers gave it to the Horsemen and actually had the crowd believing they could pull it off. Great stuff!!

Two more jobbers that come to mind are Jose Estrada and Pete Sanchez. Both of these guys were good in ring performers, good enough to deliver credible looking offense to their opponent before inevitably selling a beating to put over the "star" performer. I remember seeing these guys back in the day, and calling them "the Victim". Well to consistently play "the victim"
is an underapperciated aspect of the wrestling business that, alas, no longer exists for the most part.

03.jpg

"Lightingfoot" Jerry Flynn baby!

I honestly can not believe that no one has mentioned him.
That nickname, that fake Karate Action Star look, and best of all.......the mullet...

I used to watch this guy back in the mid 90's on Saturday Night and just laugh. He was so lame and tried to be so serious that I started rooting for him. I remember a time, wish i had the date or google to confirm this, that he was getting a mini push on Saturday Night. He actually beat Booker T clean! Yes clean! Then that Monday on Nitro Booker won the US Title, no b.s.. I officially refer to Jerry Flynn as the uncrowned "5 time, 5 time, 5 time...." lol. Also him and Bret Hart wrestled in the main event of Nitro down the road, and Bret Hart had to get the help of interfearance to beat Flynn (the NWO). He did not mention it in his book but having to get help to beat Jerry Flynn had to have been a WCW low point for him.

Also he lost to Goldberg multiple times on his "streak".

Other guys I have to shot out are ANY jobber that had to go against Vader cicra 91-94.

Great post. My favorite was Ricky Ataki. I remember seeing him on Superstars and Wrestling Challenge. He would always get destroyed. One time though, he gained some momentum and attempted an elbow drop from the second rope, only to have his hair get in the way and miss his opponent by a good 5 feet. Priceless !!

heres a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p-MzUrwEnQ

I remember Tom Brandi "Salvatore Sincere"

Marc Mero grabs the mic before his match and informs the crowd "This guy is what we call a jobber!"

And every week on WCW Saturday Night for about 5 years, somebody was beating the crap out of The Gambler

I think some people are getting confused with the whole jobber deal. Back in the day, there were two types of jobber.

The true jobber: guys like Reno Riggins, Frankie Delfalco, Lee Scott, COuger Jay, Barry Hardy, Duane Gill, Tom Stone, Tim Horner (WWF only), Jim Powers (post Stallions), Jim Brunzell (post Bees), Barry Horrowitz (pre GWF and 1995 WWF push), Mark Young, Jack Foley, etc.

These guys had no gimmick, no theme music, no push, and no special name or anything.

Then there was the other kind........

The jobber to the stars: guys like Koko B. Ware, Skinner, The Gambler, The DIng Dongs, The Conquistidors, Borris Zukhov (non Bolshivicks matches), The Goon, Lance Cassidy, Thurman "Sparky" Plug, El Matador, etc.

These guys had a gimmick, entrances, and the occasional push. But they ALWAYS lost to the other Superstars.

With that being said, my favorite all time jobber was Zan Panzer.

For those who don't know, Zan Panzer was a generic masked wreslter in the NWA. He was nothing special, but he came out in a pink mask and pink tights. I think the reason I liked him is because everytime on World Championship Wrestling (yes, before WCW was the name of the company, their flagship show was called that.) the announcer, Rhubarb Jones would announce Zan Panzer. Hearing his voice just made me feel like it was a Saturday afternoon and I was in full wrestling weekend mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back