• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Remember When Capcom Meant Quality?

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do.

You see, for the longest time I held two companies in the highest regard. These two companies I could always count on to make the right decision and release quality games to the US. To treat the fans with respect at all times. Those companies were Nintendo and Capcom.

However, with the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3, Mega Man Universe, the refusal to localize the new Ace Attorney game and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and the release of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom mere months after the full-priced vanilla version was released, I feel my faith in Capcom has been misled. Combine that with the fact that no real reasons were given for the cancellation of the two Mega Man games and strong suspicions of Keiji Inafune's departure being tied to politics, and you have a large mess of angry and disillusioned fans.

Here's a picture I found that explains a lot. I know it's poorly edited and smacks of angry basement-dwellers banging at their keyboard, but if you look past that there's some pretty good info in it.

yYw7w.jpg

Basically, several original series' have been canceled or confirmed to be Japan-only while we get games like a Devil May Cry reboot that gives Dante a makeover no one likes, MegaMan Legends 3's cancellation was blamed on the fans, and Capcom Euro's handling of the situation has been absolutely abysmal, being extremely rude to the fans (Though to be fair, some fans were pretty rude to start with).

On top of that, there's this story of how Capcom is attempting to attack the used games market: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php
Buying used video games is great for gamers who don't want to pay full price for the latest hits. You know who doesn't like used video games? Game publishers. In a very sad twist, Capcom's fighting back against the second-hand game market with a game that can only support one save file — for life.

It's been confirmed that Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D for the Nintendo 3DS is a game that once finished, cannot be reset for complete replay. According to both the U.S. and U.K. game's instruction manual "saved data on this software cannot be reset."

Basically what Capcom has done is make Mercenaries 3D a one-time play affair. Once you've unlocked all the goodies and played the entire game, you will not be able to erase the game's save data and start fresh as if it were a new copy. Consider this: lending Mercenaries 3D to a friend, a little brother or sister will be worthless because they'll only be able to continue playing the game with your saved settings and create their own.

We get that game publishers don't make any money off sales from used video games, but killing off the ability to hit the reset button is just taking things too far. It's like saying Upperdeck is entitled to a cut in my autographed Michael Jordan basketball card I sold at a garage sale for $10,000 some 25 years after I bought it.

While it can be argued that used video game sales are actually more damaging than piracy, it's still a lowball move for Capcom to make, especially with a franchise as large and significant as the Resident Evil series. Will other publishers follow in Capcom's footsteps to take a stand against the lucrative market of used video games? We really hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

While I can somewhat understand where Capcom is coming from with the one-save-file thing, where does this leave games with multiple endings or features that can be lost forever? Would you have to buy a whole new copy of a game just to unlock a different path? That's bullshit!

I was a hardcore Capcom fanboy for the longest time, but all these decisions have really made me reconsider my stance.

What do you think about this whole situation?

I've always liked Capcom and the cancellation of MML3 does suck, but I really don't care about Ace Attorney or UMvC. I never got into the Ace Attorney series and I think Capcom did the right thing with making UMvC b/c MvC3 were missing a few things that I hope this new addition makes better. The release of UMvC isn't surprising at all considering how many editions they make of every Street Fighter game. Could it have been made DLC? I won't know until I play the game to see how much different it is to MvC3.

As for RE, now that is something I'm indifferent to. I can see them wanting to stop the used games sales but I do question if they can continue to make games that just have one set ending. I do wonder where this leaves the MegaMan franchise as a whole considering two of its games have been cancelled. There are some things I can understand and some I can't, but I hope Capcom can get their act together.

In my eyes, Capcom is still a fan-fucking-tastic developer. I understand your frustration with the Mega-Man franchise, but it's ridiculous to think that Capcom doesn't put out quality games. I'd go so far as to say that no other developer puts out a more polished product than Capcom (just look at Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'll love them again when Dragon's Dogma comes out next year.

I haven't played a Capcom game in ages (they just don't make games i'm interested in) but the one save file thing is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard of. Used game sales wouldn't hurt them near as much if games was priced reasonably these days. I refuse to give 60 dollars for a game that will most likely be played through once in about 20 hours. Although I'm not much of a handheld gamer, and I'm not sure how this would work with consoles since the save files are on the console itself.

Resident Evil 5 was far from quality lol. That fucking game was borderline terrible and the entire series of Resident Evil is very milked out and is becoming quite ridiculous at least to me it is. I enjoyed the fourth one i'll admit, but RE5 was an absolute shit storm. Terrible controls, bad AI, and just all around bad gameplay. I do enjoy Dead Rising very much though.

I've never been a big fan of Capcom. Never got into much of their games including Mega Man and Resident Evil. They just aren't my type of games and I never found them much fun. That said, they are a fairly decent company and while Mega Man isn't my cup of tea, they did a fairly good job with it. I haven't played the recent versions though and them cancelling shit doesn't affect me. It is however, absolute and total fucking bullshit that they'd do that save file shit. Fuck them for that. Hopefully my beloved Square Enix doesn't venture in that direction.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Capcom's quality has declined, as they still release several great games such as Dead Rising 2, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter IV (and all it's versions), and Resident Evil. (Note to Fizzy: RE 5 was great, especially with a buddy. The only major issues I had was not being able to move and shoot and the lack of scares. But to each his own) Dragon's Dogma is coming along quite nicely as well.

I'm not a fan of Dante's re-design, but after watching Devil May Cry's E3 trailer, I have a restored faith in the game and think that Ninja Theory may surprise us all.

I'll reserve judgment on the localization issue. There have been plenty of times in the past where developers have delayed or out right said they're not planning to bring a game over only to change their minds later. I'm optimistic that Capcom will do the same.

I do question their business decisions though, notably their tendency to re-release improved versions of games mere months after the original version's release. The extra modes I can understand, but I don't see how the characters themselves couldn't be packaged as DLC for existing MvC 3 owners.

I'm also concerned with their handling of the Mega Man franchise. Inafune has only been gone a few months, and the series has seemingly collapsed with his departure. With all the cancellations, who knows how long it'll be before we see the blue bomber in any form.

Also, for what it's worth, Capcom has stated that they will not implement the one-save file system in any future games. That's something to be thankful for.

So overall, I don't have any issues with Capcom's games themselves. Most are very enjoyable, high quality experiences. Everything going on behind the scenes though, has me raising an eyebrow or two and I hope they can get their act together.

They're just putting emphasis on other areas. While saddening to the likes of us, the main focus in the gaming world right now is with online play, MMO's and shooters. "Kiddie" games like Megaman aren't seeing as big draws these days and fighters are seen as being easy to milk. Don't be surprised by that. be more surprised by the fact that there's only one Street Fighters IV remake and not six by now. The Megaman games being cancelled is indeed saddening. However Megaman Online is still alive and out. It's just a hopeful whim of it coming to the U.S.

I wouldn't doubt DMC(5) though. It may be an origin story rather than a re-brand. Time will tell there. I am saddened by an Onimusha game not being made in a long time though. The Jubei Yagyu character was left hanging a bit.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 pissed me off like no ones business much like Super Street Fighter 4 ultra deluxe arcade edition in HD is pissing people off (BTW I sold MVC3 for Mortal Kombat.)

Why does Capcom constantly clone games only to have minor tweaks that A.) should be DLC or B.) BE IN THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE. MVC3 was straight up bare bones bullcrap the most hanis thing about it being that it had boring characters no one wanted (M.O.D.O.K., She-Hulk, really and don't even get me started on why Megaman isn't in it) horrible lagging online, cheap cheating characters that almost everyone used becuase they were so cheap (a combination of Dante/Sentinel/Hulk made you virtually unstoppable) and furthermore lack of features.

Capcom made Marvel Vs Capcom 3 to shut us up after 10 years of whining and said "for god sakes shut up just take it"

As you may or may not know, Mega Man Legends 3, a game ten years in the waiting, has been canceled. Having been announced in early September of last year, Capcom opened up a 'Devroom' for the fans, where they could all come together and discuss the development from the game as the dev team actually offered them an inside look at everything that was going on. From the biggest to the most minuscule facets of development, we were offered a look into the process that few ever are, and were even allowed to create and submit content to the game that was accepted and integrated into it!

A 'Prototype Version' of the game was going to be put onto the Nintendo eShop, to gauge interest in the game and determine whether Capcom would continue working on it.

It was delayed, as the dev team wanted to make it bigger and better.

Not long after, on July 18th(19th in Japan time of course), Capcom pulled the rug out from under us, not even allowing the Prototype Version to be released, and canceled Mega Man Legends 3. Of course, legions of fans (myself included), were absolutely heartbroken, and felt betrayed by Capcom that they would come out of nowhere like this. You may read some articles regarding this manner on the links provided bellow.

http://www.shacknews.com/a​rt...-3-cancellation-sparks-​fan-controversy

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/21/capcom-europe-mega-man-legends-3-canceled-due-to-lack-of-devroo/

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/07/awakening-of-sleeping-giant.html

The Mega Man fan base, however, is not allowing this game, which we have waited ten years for, poured our blood, sweat and tears into before and after it was announced, to simply die. We are organizing all possible efforts to convince Capcom that this game must go through. We are being civil about it, however - while there are fans who are crude about things, it is not our goal to act like children, however we do not plan on stopping until there's nothing left of us or Legends 3 is finally released. All we ask for, is your support, coverage, anything. Please, lend us your ears and hearts, lend us the help you can give. Or simply Join the group below to show there is a large number of people who want this game.

http://www.facebook.com/GetMeOffTheMoon

Alternatively, to show further support visit the website provided on the link below to become a servbot, sign the petition and show your support!

http://www.legends3.com/

Thank you very much!

As you may or may not know, Mega Man Legends 3, a game ten years in the waiting, has been canceled. Having been announced in early September of last year, Capcom opened up a 'Devroom' for the fans, where they could all come together and discuss the development from the game as the dev team actually offered them an inside look at everything that was going on. From the biggest to the most minuscule facets of development, we were offered a look into the process that few ever are, and were even allowed to create and submit content to the game that was accepted and integrated into it!

A 'Prototype Version' of the game was going to be put onto the Nintendo eShop, to gauge interest in the game and determine whether Capcom would continue working on it.

It was delayed, as the dev team wanted to make it bigger and better.

Not long after, on July 18th(19th in Japan time of course), Capcom pulled the rug out from under us, not even allowing the Prototype Version to be released, and canceled Mega Man Legends 3. Of course, legions of fans (myself included), were absolutely heartbroken, and felt betrayed by Capcom that they would come out of nowhere like this. You may read some articles regarding this manner on the links provided bellow.

http://www.shacknews.com/a​rt...-3-cancellation-sparks-​fan-controversy

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/21/capcom-europe-mega-man-legends-3-canceled-due-to-lack-of-devroo/

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/07/awakening-of-sleeping-giant.html

The Mega Man fan base, however, is not allowing this game, which we have waited ten years for, poured our blood, sweat and tears into before and after it was announced, to simply die. We are organizing all possible efforts to convince Capcom that this game must go through. We are being civil about it, however - while there are fans who are crude about things, it is not our goal to act like children, however we do not plan on stopping until there's nothing left of us or Legends 3 is finally released. All we ask for, is your support, coverage, anything. Please, lend us your ears and hearts, lend us the help you can give. Or simply Join the group below to show there is a large number of people who want this game.

http://www.facebook.com/GetMeOffTheMoon

Alternatively, to show further support visit the website provided on the link below to become a servbot, sign the petition and show your support!

http://www.legends3.com/

Thank you very much!

Oh they still said no to that petition

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back