• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Redemption: Drake Callahan vs. David Whitman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

the Frog
1234052_460852357360979_1379799823_n.jpg

In a bold statement made by the former World Heavyweight Champion, Drake Callahan warned that he will be the man to take down the evil known as the Sacrificial Altar. Thus far, Callahan has already managed to temporarily remove D.C from the equation and is looking to continue the dwindling numbers of the Altar.

When Callahan laid down the challenge to take the Altar on at Redemption, David Whitman was the man to step up and be the man to represent the team. Whitman will be looking to deliver a cold plate of revenge to Callahan after not losing to him within recent weeks but also the injuries of fellow member D.C.

Will Callahan continue his quest to take down every member of the Altar one by one or can Whitman stop him in his tracks?

Deadline is Wednesday (October 2, 2013) at 11:59 P.M. Extensions available upon request.

anger_zps34dc1ed2.png

"In a way, Drake Callahan is to blame for this."

[click]

The big screen turns to a very bright white as all the lights in the Reliant arena in Houston, Texas go out.

"WHAT TH-"

A strobe effect covers the arena as the big screen suddenly starts crackling with loud static and continues doing so before abruptly turning completely dark.

The sheer blackness on the screen still seems to crackle, this time with microscopic dots and split second lines; the tell-tale signs of an outdated camera.

Soon, a warm flash accompanies the black as a dim, slightly cracked light bulb, trapped in a hexagonal steel casing and hanging from what appears to be a dog chain, swings idly from the left of the dark room to the right. The only thing visible apart from this odd item and its motion is a shadowy figure lurking in the background.

The sole noise heard, which is the gentle, almost hypnotizing creak of the swinging caged bulb, is quickly accompanied by another noise. This noise is a voice.

Tired but resounding, the voice is powerful. Its owner does not speak; he proclaims.

“All… is not well.”

A pause. Silence.

“All is slowly turning to none. To nothing.”

Creak.

“The streets are ragged, broken, filthy. The cities? Lousy with corruption. The country has been on a steady decline straight to hell since it was founded. And the rest of the world? It isn't too far off.”

The man finally steps closer to the low-quality camera, into the soft glow of the swinging light.

What should be white around his pupils is pitch black; the pupils themselves an almost glowing white.

“I can peer deep into the future. And do you know what I see? Raping, pillaging, murder. Both literally and figuratively; the downfall of civilization before it could even truly exist. The abortion of the human race by the hands of its own people.”

The man is wearing a mask that covers his mouth and nose, and has what looks like metal bars across the mouth area. From behind those metal bars the odd stray wire slips out, and almost imperceptible sparks come and go. The leather strap that extends all the way around his head is jet black.

“Well, the avalanche of change starts with one single, sudden, precise movement. And that is what I am.”

He is dressed in what appears to be a set of monk-like robes over a black hoodie that covers his hair, save for a lone stray black lock on his lightly dirt-covered forehead.

“I am single. I am sudden. I am precise.”

He looks up, then back down towards the camera.

“I AM a movement."

He turns around, showing his back to the camera.

“I am the Catalyst.”

We see a Catalyst logo in red stitches on the back of his robe as he walks away from the camera slowly.

He seems to be holding a rope in his right hand, and as he walks away he pulls on it and it becomes more visible.

Soon, he is completely gone in the darkness but the rope keeps pulling.

Suddenly, we see bare feet going upwards. As soon as the feet pass we see a dark red tarp wrapped around what appears to be a body, and this keeps going upwards for a second until it slows down and we see an upside-down head drenched in blood; so much so that the person is not even recognizable. At the very end, the forehead, we see a deep red carved X.

The masked man comes back and stands next to the head, which is mumbling softly. The unsettling set of eyes stares directly at the camera.

“James Whitman has been cleansed. WZCW, world; this is the first step to a better, more pure you.”

The man holds the back of the bloody head with his gloved right hand.

“… And so it begins.”

He pulls the head back, then rams it forward full force into the screen.

The camera cracks and immediately turns to static.

There are no words to express the rage that is currently grasping David Whitman. Tightly, it suffocates him as he lashes out with every single sentiment of existence he has ever felt.

The front window of the house is the first to go as a wildly careening chair frees it from its binds of being, quickly followed by the table that used to accompany the chair.

Splinters rain upwards. Glass shatters violently. Within moments, a living room is brought to ruin.

Time feels like a distant and surreal concept: it could have been seconds, minutes, hours. All David Whitman knows for certain is that he is alive. And he isn't even sure how to feel about that.

Kneeling in the middle of the thrashed living room and almost outlined by the remnants of a laptop, he is spent. His surroundings are a complete mess, except for a single spot across the room from him where the man known only as the Grand Mystique is standing.

But to David, it feels as if he is currently he only person left on the planet.

His skin feels as if it is being pulled at constantly. He knows his eyes can't be bleeding but it certainly feels that way, and if he didn't know better he would swear his brain was on fire.

"I find it interesting that through all of that, you did not mutter a single word."

The leader of The Sacrificial Altar's words emerge slowly, without fear or fury.

Suddenly, David is painfully aware of how dry his throat feels. He closes his eyes and takes a couple of deep breaths. He tries to think of nothing, but instead thinks of everything at once.

"David, you are filled with questions, yet muted by your rage and hate. Understandable. I will give you as many answers as you need."

David does not react. The Grand Mystique continues.

"Yes, that is the person I have been referring to. The Catalyst. He will be your guide."

It takes everything he can muster to direct his gaze at Mystique, and when he finally succeeds, David's eyes seem meek and powerless. Everything sounds hollow and tinny.

"He acts in the best interest of TSA. I have no direct control over his actions; all I can tell you is that his ultimate goal is to get you where you need to be."

Dazed, David pushes himself and falls flat with his back on shards of glass and laptop parts. The stinging sensation soothes him somewhat. He doesn't know for sure, but paradoxically takes some comfort in knowing that he is probably bleeding.

For a second, David believes he sees Icarus painted on the ceiling. After blinking, however, the ceiling reveals itself to be much calmer and an unsettling shade of beige.

"Your cousin is a good man. It really is a shame. But the Catalyst would not have taken such drastic action unless he deemed it absolutely necessary. I have no idea what went down, but I can assure you it was ultimately necessary and for your own good. James will live, David. And he, along with everyone else, will be better for it. This... this is bigger than any one person."

David Whitman's eyes are wide open, but he does not know if he exists. He cannot understand how anybody ever existed.

"And like I said; in a way, if it wasn't for Drake Callahan, things would not have had to go this way. If people like him didn't feel the misguided need to protect WZCW from the inevitable..."

Mystique ends his sentence with an uncharacteristic sigh.

"This is crucial, David. I need you to listen to me."

The Grand Mystique walks over to David and gets into a squatting position in front of him.

"The step you take next will determine your ultimate fate."

Mystique's words suddenly feel cold to David; like spears almost but not quite piercing his body, each leaving a small flesh wound, prickling, important.

"Westhoff and I will put an end to this... dragon infestation. And you will need to get yourself together for your own challenge."

The wind makes a light whistling sound as it travels near the cracked ex-window. David closes his eyes in response.

"I understand how you feel right now, but you can use this to your advantage. All you have to do is channel your rage correctly."

David feels himself being pulled up into a sitting position.

"Drake Callahan has shown you that he possesses skill. If at any moment you doubted him... as a former Heavyweight Champion yourself, you know how hard that road is and how much it requires to get there. He has come a long way, and despite his many shortcomings, his undeniable faults, and his pathetic notion that he is the sole Savior of WZCW... he has proven to be a threat."

David finally opens his eyes again. They feel bloodshot. He is uncertain.

"The fact that Callahan is undefeated at Redemption will fuel his fire even more. And do you know how he started that streak? ...With a submission."

David has still not looked directly at his leader. His body feels numb now. He is staring outside, at nothing at particular. In the middle of the destroyed room, the Grand Mystique puts his right hand on David's left shoulder. David wonders if outside is cold. He then wonders whether inside is warm.

"David, in my years of following your career I have never seen you tap out. Until... Drake Callahan. He has proven not only that he can defeat you in that ring, but also that he can make you..." For a short millisecond, disgust overtakes Mystique's voice. "... Submit."

David closes his eyes again, but feels a short sting across his face. He opens his eyes quickly, only to see Mystique's hands have not moved.

"You will be the one to break Drake Callahan's Redemption streak. And in doing so, you will find your own redemption."

David finally looks at his leader again. He believes he is understanding the words as he sees them in his mind, flying at him, around him... he knows he is getting the messages. He is sane.

"Because for all his hard work, his trials and tribulations, his titles, his streak... He is just a delusional, self-aggrandizing target. Screaming out in his anger, calling others puppets while he remains a shackled slave to a sport and we trample over the very thing he holds dear. In his eyes, at least. He has been persistent in his attempts to slow us down, and in doing so he has forced us to take notice. So now, you'll take him down like the vile, inconsequential animal he truly is."

Mystique rises to his feet, leaving the damaged wrestler on the floor.

"You are the only one who can make this right. You are the only one who can make what happened to your cousin matter. The Catalyst is only a part of this, David. He is exactly what his name says. You... you are the weapon."

Mystique surveys the area around him slowly, then returns his attention to David, who has now taken a kneeling position facing the other way. He is rocking very lightly in an attempt to bring true feeling back to his body. Mystique simply stares at his bloodied, shard-covered back.

"I hope you finally know what must be done."

With these final words, the Grand Mystique turns around and walks out. Stepping on broken picture frames, drinking glasses and vases with crunches as he does so, he closes the front door, letting a few broken bits drop from the ex-window next to it in the process.

And in this solitude, this absence of humanity, a broken man in the midst of a chaotic world, David Whitman utters a single word.

"Callahan."

"Look me in the eye. It's okay if you're scared. So am I. But we're scared for different reasons. I'm scared of what I won't become, and you're scared of what I could become. Look at me. I won't let myself end where I started."

- Michael Jordan

-----

"It's where I started,"
I said, walking the streets with Stoya next to me. She walked to my right, arms swinging freely. I thought about taking her hand. That would be nice. That would be normal. But I didn't, because we weren't. What we were - what we had - it was the farthest thing from normal. I didn't even know who she was, really. My agent? My girlfriend? Both, really, but could she truly be both?

"It's not Paris," she said, a wry smile on her face as she looked around at the mass of people walking down the street, restaurants and bars all around either side. As she said it, a man - a kid, really, maybe 20 if that - walked past us, his shirt a graphic of the Eiffel Tower and the words "Cleveland is my Paris."

I smiled back at her, mine genuine. "Close enough for me."

Redemption being in Texas, it was pretty impractical of me to take a trip home, but something just felt like I had to. It was hardly nostalgia. I didn't dislike home, but it had its fair share of bad memories, not the least of which included my more recent ghosts in Joe and Kate. I knew that Stoya felt that, too. I could feel it from her, sometimes, in the way she looked around or looked at me - she felt threatened in some strange way. Could she really think I was here for Kate? Hadn't I proved to her exactly where I stood on that?

I wasn't here for her, anyway. She was distantly in the back of my mind, hardly even worthy of my consideration. There were older, deeper ghosts, too, but I wasn't here for them. I knew why I was here. I was here for a real, living man. I was here for flesh and blood.

I was looking for Ty Burna.

As if I didn't already see him everywhere. It didn't matter where I was - what city, what country. I kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye - he was just there, but no, it was just someone with black hair. But, no, over there - no, just the way they were dressed. But, wait, that one - no, that was a woman. In Dallas, in Los Angeles, in New York City - he was everywhere, because he wouldn't leave my head. I knew he was around - living a normal life, like a normal person. I knew better. Ty could put on whatever hat he wanted - normal guy, announcer, whatever. I knew what he was, still. And I knew where he lived.

He wanted to pretend that he was from middle of nowhere, pit of hell, parts unknown, and he'd done a good job of making everyone forget. But I knew plenty well that he and I were born and raised in the same city, the same streets. Here I walked East Fourth. In a minute I'd hit Prospect, on my way to the corner of Carnegie and Ontario. I'd walked here a million times in my youth, and I'd be willing to bet he'd done the same. I scanned the entire crowd, a massive flood of people, on their way to the same place I was heading, the thickest concentration of people in the city for this one night - Progressive Field, site of an MLB playoff game tonight for the first time in six years.

It was insane, of course - the notion that Ty would just walk out of the woodwork and I'd say...I'd say...what would I say?

"What would you say," I started slowly, forming a question for Stoya, "if you just ran into the person you hated most in the world on the street?"

"I'd probably just hit them,"
she said, shrugging.

"I'm serious," I replied. "Just...imagine it. Your worst enemy. You look at him or her and you just have a chance to say anything. What do you say?"

"Fuck you?"

"You're an English major, right?"

"Just because I can tell you about every simile in Shakespeare doesn't mean I'm a walking fountain of one liners."

I'd tell him I hated him. Was that the best I could do? I'd tell him I was better than him. That was just petty. Maybe I would just punch him in the face. But, no, that was even worse. I'd tell him...

I'd ask him a question. I didn't care about what Ty thought of me, but I did care about what he knew. He knew better than anyone else what was wrong with me. I'd ask him how he beat me, how he eluded me at every step, how he darted out of sight at the last minute, when I had finally caught him in the flesh.

I'd ask him how to win.

"So we're going to a baseball game?"
Stoya was saying, as the stadium came into sight.

"Probably not," I said. "It sold out ages ago. I just wanted to see. Look around. You know."

"So we're in Cleveland to look at it? I mean, seriously, Drake, this is really not Paris."

She was smiling, so I just nodded and let the conversation die off again. She didn't really have any idea why we were here. That was fine. For now, she seemed content to roll along with it.

We sat on a stone bench in sight of the stadium and watched the crowds go by. Happy, jovial faces going in, a sea of them, a mass of them, endless and endless and endless it seemed, every face different and new. It was like watching the pattern of life go by. Soon, they were all in the stadium and we were alone. I lit a cigarette and Stoya took out her phone, and there we sat, letting the hours drift past.

Until slowly, slowly, they began to come out again. A slow stream trickling forth. One man strayed near me, his head down. He happened to look up as he past.

It was Ty.

My breath caught - but wait, no, no, just another illusion. But why had he looked so like Ty for just one moment, in a day when no one in this entire city had?

He stared at me as he walked past and caught my eye. He shrugged and mumbled, "There's always next year."

It became clear to me why the crowd was exiting so slowly - the game wasn't over, but they were losing, clearly, and these were the first "beat the traffic" fans to retreat. Over the next hour the stream grew and grew, until finally the torrent had grown to its previous size. As they walked past me, for one brief second, every single one of them had Ty's face. And I understood why.

These were losers. Every last one of them. They had gone in full of hope and optimism, and they had failed. Metaphorically, of course, but they were still failures. And I saw it clearly then why I'd really come here - I had to remind myself of something I'd forgotten. I had been telling myself to remember who I was. I sat and watched until they had all melted away and we were alone again.

After hours of our silence and a pack of cigarettes, I turned to Stoya.

"Stoya," I said slowly, "I hate this fucking city."

She smiled slowly and stood up, took my hand, and led me away.

----

"Look into my eyes, David."

The camera focused only on my face and eyes as I stood in the back of a WZCW production facility.

"This is the correct time for you to be terrified."

I took a deep breath and went on.

"You want to know something, David? I'm scared too. I'm scared that I've already seen my destiny. I'm scared that I know how this drama ends. But you should be scared that I don't. You should be scared that my destiny is still unwritten. You should be absolutely horrified about the possibility that when you and I step into the ring tonight, fate has nothing in store. Because everything about this match says I lose, David. I'm the lone wolf from Cleveland, Ohio against the dynasty, the chosen champion, the man with allies and friends. Time and time again I've lost this fight, David, and time and time again I'll lose it. That's what I'm afraid of. But you? You should be afraid that this time is when history steps aside, when prediction takes a backseat, when probability is irrelevant."

I let myself smile slowly, then.

"And you might ask yourself, David, well, why? Why should you be afraid this is the one time things are different? Why should you be afraid this is the once in a lifetime shot of me beating you?"

"The answer, David, is because I've already won. This fight we're about to have? It's meaningless. Irrelevant. I already beat you a long time ago. Because this is just the dying gasp of a war that ended before you even got here, David. This is the last glimmer of the war versus Ty Burna, and I've already won. I get it. You're asking yourself - but Drake, wait, how could this be? If El Califa Dragon is still here, then isn't that Ty, by your own accusation? No, David, no, you idiot. Because Ty Burna isn't a man. Ty Burna is a belief. Ty Burna is a way of living. Ty Burna is a poison, a cancer, a spreading and festering disease centered on a man. El Califa was an offshoot, and I knocked his head around until he was clean. The man himself took one look at me in the Lethal Lottery, turned tail, and ran out of this company. That was the day I won the war. That was the day I became a winner. That was the day I overcame the odds and won this fight. You? You're just the kicking and screaming remnants of his legacy, the last vestige. The last head on the hydra, but you've got nothing on the beast in all its glory. Just look to your sides, David, and you'll see the headless stumps you're about to join."

"This began a long time ago, what you do. Your indoctrination, your cult, your takeovers, your beatdowns, your manipulation, all of it. It began with Ty Burna and it ended with Ty Burna. You don't even know it, but he's everything to people like you. Your god, your master, your model, your golden calf and he's lying in a grave, David, and I buried him there. When you chose to join the Sacrificial Altar and when your buddies became the spiritual legacy of Ty Burna and the Apostles of Chaos, you assumed not only his image but his defeat, and that it was why tonight, David, when you and I step into the ring, you should be terrified. I beat you before you even met me."

I took one more breath as I hurtled along the wave of my words.

"A lot of people have forgotten this, but Ty Burna and I come from the same city. And my city is a million losses for every one victory. But unlucky for you, David, I'm not one of the losses. I refuse to be. I am not one of the shuffling millions like Ty Burna is. Like you already are without even knowing it. Like everyone like you is going to be for the rest of time as long as I draw breath."

"I am better than you. I am better than them. I am Drake Callahan, and I am once in a lifetime, one in a million, and absolutely going to end you and your ilk - once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back