Red Sox vs Yankees, greatest rivalry, yeah right

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

America's Fan

As far as I can remember the media has always hyped the red sox vs yankees as the best rivalry in all of sports. What a bunch of crap. Once again they said it was. Watching espn's 20 greatest sports rivalries again they said it was boston vs new york. How can a rivalry be considered great when one team beats the other team for more than 80 years. It was always the yankees, yankees, yankees. Even when it looked like the red sox were finally going to win they always came up short, always. I guarantee you if Ruth was never involved with either team than noone would even care about this so called rivalry. But because baseball's(and arguebly sports) biggest icon started his career with boston and started the biggest dynasty in all of sports people think it was the greatest. A great rivalry is Duke vs North Carolina, Michigan vs Ohio State, and Dodgers vs Giants. Those go back and forth alot. Other great rivalries that really isn't much today but was great back in the day were the celtics vs lakers, cowboys vs redskins, and Army vs Navy. All of these went back and forth as far as wins and losses are concerned. With what happend in 2004 than yes red sox vs yankees has the potential to be a great rivalry(a real one) but until the Bosox defeat the yankees a couple of more times when it counts the most the Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees rivalry will all be a bunch of crap IMO. There I said it.

No sox/yanks are the best no question. Im not even gonna argue it.

I don't know what this guy's on...I don't see Duke/UNC fistfighting...or any other of the rivals for that matter. Please Boston has more head to head victories over the past three years and there is more animosity there than any other rivals...if one of the teams was up 6.5 games and lost to the other the fans would still be irate

are you serious? that is BY FAR the best rivalry in sports. just because one of the teams has more success than the other in head to head play (which is kind of a given), doesnt make it not a rivalry. has duke/UNC, michigan/OSU, or especially the dodgers and giants in any of their histories had games like the sox and yanks have in just the last 4 years alone? no.

babe ruth, bucky dent, the 03 and especially the 04 seasons. every single game they play is close and most of them memorable. almost every one. and what games draw the best ratings on tv? thats right, its the sox and yanks.

so get that weak crap out of here, man.

American's Fan said:
As far as I can remember the media has always hyped the red sox vs yankees as the best rivalry in all of sports. What a bunch of crap. Once again they said it was. Watching espn's 20 greatest sports rivalries again they said it was boston vs new york.
ESPN has changed things in sports mnay times. I really wouldn't take what you seen to heart. In 2005 they had the "10 Greatest rivalries" and the list went like this, 10. Giants vs. Dodgers, 9. Redskins vs. Cowboys, 8. Auburn vs. Alabama, 7. Red Sox vs. Yankees, 6. Arnold Palmer vs. Jack Nicklaus, 5. Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens, 4. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell, 3. North Carolina vs. Duke, 2. Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier, and 1. Michigan vs. Ohio State. I didn't watch the show you saw, but I'm guessing it was this year, so it could of been done by fan voting, but who knows.

American's Fan said:
How can a rivalry be considered great when one team beats the other team for more than 80 years. It was always the yankees, yankees, yankees. Even when it looked like the red sox were finally going to win they always came up short, always. I guarantee you if Ruth was never involved with either team than noone would even care about this so called rivalry. But because baseball's(and arguebly sports) biggest icon started his career with boston and started the biggest dynasty in all of sports people think it was the greatest.
The Red Sox were the American League's dominant franchise until selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees. I do admit the media had alot to do with the Red Sox and Yankees rivalry, but its also what alot of people want to see. Babe Ruth had a large part in this whole rivalry, but there was other players involved too. Even if Babe Ruth was never involved with either of these teams the Yankees still had enough talent to have a number one rivalry with another team in the MLB. Look at some of the players they had Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Roger Maris, Joe DiMaggio, Reggie Jackson, Yogi Berra, etc...

From 1903 to 1918, Boston's American League team won five of the first 15 World Series. The Red Sox also had the likes of Ted Williams, Roger Clemens, Carl Yastzemski, Carlton Fisk, Fred Lynn, Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Luis Tiant, Bill Lee, etc... In 1978, the Red Sox and Yankees met in a one-game playoff for the American League East crown at Fenway Park, but the Yankees beat them and went on to win the World Series. In the early 90s, Red Sox third baseman Wade Boggs signed as a free-agent with the Yankees and then won a World Series there in 1996. In 2000 the Yankees signed former Red Sox pitcher Roger Clemens. Before the Clemens signing, the Sox and Yankees played for the American League championship for the first time in 1999. What would become a highly controversial series, the Yankees won four games to one and go on to win the World Series.

In the 2003 season Game 7 of the pennant playoffs Aaron Boone’s homer robbed the Red Sox another pennant. Joe DiMaggio vs. Ted Williams.

Also there's alot of information apart of this rivalry, but I was just naming some as to why its considered the greatest rivalry, but truthfully all these rivalries are based on mere opinion and not a fact, so everyone will have there opinions on what the best rivalry is.

The Red Sox and the Yankees are two baseball teams who've had this never ending feud. Personally I'm a Yankees fan through and through.

Flames Out
Dragon

I'm from Mass and I'm still a Yankee fan. I catch alot of crap for it. But I'm a Cena fan too, so I'm used to it. Haha.

THNB490 said:
I'm from Mass and I'm still a Yankee fan. I catch alot of crap for it. But I'm a Cena fan too, so I'm used to it. Haha.

You're a Yankee fan but, you're from Mass?? Wow, that's amazing, I've never met anyone like that!

Flames Out
Dragon

First of all players who have played in the Dodgers Giants rivalry have said it only matters to the Giants so how can that be better than a rivelry that has had multiple brawls. Then the teams are always good and competing for the divison title. 9 straight years the Yankees have won with Boston in second so the games mean things. This is the best rivalry in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back