Favourite Sports Curse

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Superstition has a long history in sports, we see it in baseball all the time, as it is a game of statistics, being in constant opposition to the spiritual. My favourite sports curse does come from the sport, and I was reminded by a Jeopardy clue on it yesterday.

The Curse of the Bambino was a historically long curse, on the Boston Red Sox after the team traded away converted pitched Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees for money. Little did they know that Babe Ruth would go on to become one of the most dominant power hitters in baseball, resparking interest in baseball, and creating one of the most dominant dynasties in baseball history with the 1920s New York Yankees. What did Boston get? 83 years of no championships, until it was finally broken twice this past decade.

TM, I just want to make a quick correction, it was 86 years between titles, not 83. Perhaps you just missed the 6 when typing. Not sure.

My favorite sports curse would be down to two things. It would either be the Cubs Curses as a collection, or it would be the Curse of Muldoon. For the sake of the many Cubs fans on here, and because it would be an expected target for me, I'll go with the Curse of Muldoon. Granted it was only used in a story for writer's block, it is still effective, as I think sports curses are bullshit and a copout.

A little bit of background on the Curse of Muldoon. After the 1926-27 NHL season, Pete Muldoon was fired by Blackhawks owner Frederich McLaughlin. Reason being, McLaughlin felt the Hawks were good enough to finish first in the division, and Muldoon was a pessimist and did not agree. So he fired him. In 1943, Jim Coleman would write about this interaction, and this some of the dialogue he wrote.

wikipedia said:
Muldoon supposedly responded, "Fire me, Major, and you'll never finish first. I'll put a curse on this team that will hoodoo it until the end of time."

The Blackhawks would not finish first for another 40 years, until 1967, however they would win the Stanley Cup in 1934, 1938, and 1961. Since then, there hasn't been a widespread "curse" per se about the team, as 1961 was the last Cup the Hawks have won. But some that like to speculate would say that the Curse of Muldoon has had some sort of effect on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back