Reason for Vader's son Jake Carter's release? NXT acts create their own gimmicks?

Sweettre15

Pre-Show Stalwart
Even though we dont know how truthful this article is: http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wwe-really-release-vaders-son/

The interesting part to me is this:
A lot of the NXT talents are expected to come up with their own character ideas and pitch them to creative. The NXT writers didn’t like any of White’s ideas and that put him on the bubble.

So if the wrestlers create their shticks themselves and get NXT creative behind them then what would that mean for WWE in the future? Do you guys think the new breed of talent will have more freedom with their characters in the next era? We've already heard reports that HHH pushed for the removal of heavily scripted promos in NXT and making the talent use bullet points.(Something Jim Ross had essentially confirmed on his blog to me several months ago):
J.R - All talents need to work off their instincts and skills via bullet points on promos. That's being addressed in NXT. It starts when enough talents are on the roster to do it correctly.

Source: http://www.jrsbarbq.com/jrs-qa?page=45

In a good many ways, Triple H runs NXT with an old school mentality, but it's tempered with a realistic POV & knowledge that some of what's "old school" has to be updated a bit.

These two items are both good examples of that mentality. It's one of the many things that Triple H has gotten huge praise for among the wrestlers in NXT, wrestlers on the main roster, wrestlers from other companies, the NXT creative team and officials in WWE. I don't believe that Triple H is a fan of scripted promos, I'm fairly sure that his promos aren't scripted, and will do away with them whenever he ultimately takes over from Vince. Triple H's management style is much different from Vince's in a lot of ways, at least it comes across that way in everything I've read concerning the backstage stuff in NXT. He's not as obsessive as Vince is, he doesn't feel the need to micromanage every single little detail the way Vince does. There are numerous reports in which Vince has said to drive creative nuts by obsessing over every tiny thing or by going back & forth on decisions, especially during WrestleMania season. Triple H trusts the guys in NXT to do what they're hired to do, which isn't to say that he doesn't throw out ideas himself or agrees with them on everything. Allowing talents to ultimately do their own thing on promos is another way that Trips is much different. Again, Vince feels the need to control everything right down to the last detail, partially because, I believe, to a lack of trust. Vince has become pretty damn cautious in the wake of the Benoit tragedy, which I can understand. When the United States Congress considers launching a full investigation into your company and ultimately regulating it, thereby taking the real power out of your hands, it's probably the realization of a true nightmare for Vince. He also doesn't want to run the risk of something pissing off sponsors and cutting into that big revenue that WWE gets from them. Triple H trusts that the wrestlers aren't gonna go off the reservation and he wants them to express themselves in their own way and words, with the bullet points being only subjects that they talk about in their promos. That's not to say that Triple H cares any less for the image of WWE than Vince does, but he's not constantly harping on it like Vince does.

As far as the talent being asked to come up with character ideas, I didn't know about that one. Again, it's something that suggests an old school mentality on Triple H's part. At the same time, it's also putting pressure on the wrestlers that they don't necessarily have on the main roster and I mean that in a good way. It gives Triple H & the other honchos in NXT ideas on who could be genuinely creative aside from their promo work. As a result, listening to the ideas could, in turn, give creative ideas or directions for ideas that maybe they hadn't considered for some wrestlers. Again, it's an example of Triple H not feeling the need to obsessively control every aspect of what's going on. On the main roster, you can sometimes run afoul of Vince if a talent presents ideas that Vince doesn't like or voices dislike ideas that Vince likes or comes up with. It can sometimes depend on what day of the week it is. One day, Vince might be on top of the world and very friendly while, on the next day, he could be huffing & puffing about like an elephant with rabies and a nail stuck in its foot. In everything I've read, there's a sense conveyed that Triple H is someone who's much easier to approach and talk to, someone that doesn't blow a gasket if something doesn't go exactly according to plan, doesn't chew talent or commentators out like a rabid wolf if they make a few mistakes. For the most part, Trips comes off as someone who encourages talent to come forth with different ideas & plans. After all, they might come up with something that's better than what the creative team has planned.

In a good many ways, Triple H runs NXT with an old school mentality, but it's tempered with a realistic POV & knowledge that some of what's "old school" has to be updated a bit.

These two items are both good examples of that mentality. It's one of the many things that Triple H has gotten huge praise for among the wrestlers in NXT, wrestlers on the main roster, wrestlers from other companies, the NXT creative team and officials in WWE. I don't believe that Triple H is a fan of scripted promos, I'm fairly sure that his promos aren't scripted, and will do away with them whenever he ultimately takes over from Vince. Triple H's management style is much different from Vince's in a lot of ways, at least it comes across that way in everything I've read concerning the backstage stuff in NXT. He's not as obsessive as Vince is, he doesn't feel the need to micromanage every single little detail the way Vince does. There are numerous reports in which Vince has said to drive creative nuts by obsessing over every tiny thing or by going back & forth on decisions, especially during WrestleMania season. Triple H trusts the guys in NXT to do what they're hired to do, which isn't to say that he doesn't throw out ideas himself or agrees with them on everything. Allowing talents to ultimately do their own thing on promos is another way that Trips is much different. Again, Vince feels the need to control everything right down to the last detail, partially because, I believe, to a lack of trust. Vince has become pretty damn cautious in the wake of the Benoit tragedy, which I can understand. When the United States Congress considers launching a full investigation into your company and ultimately regulating it, thereby taking the real power out of your hands, it's probably the realization of a true nightmare for Vince. He also doesn't want to run the risk of something pissing off sponsors and cutting into that big revenue that WWE gets from them. Triple H trusts that the wrestlers aren't gonna go off the reservation and he wants them to express themselves in their own way and words, with the bullet points being only subjects that they talk about in their promos. That's not to say that Triple H cares any less for the image of WWE than Vince does, but he's not constantly harping on it like Vince does.

As far as the talent being asked to come up with character ideas, I didn't know about that one. Again, it's something that suggests an old school mentality on Triple H's part. At the same time, it's also putting pressure on the wrestlers that they don't necessarily have on the main roster and I mean that in a good way. It gives Triple H & the other honchos in NXT ideas on who could be genuinely creative aside from their promo work. As a result, listening to the ideas could, in turn, give creative ideas or directions for ideas that maybe they hadn't considered for some wrestlers. Again, it's an example of Triple H not feeling the need to obsessively control every aspect of what's going on. On the main roster, you can sometimes run afoul of Vince if a talent presents ideas that Vince doesn't like or voices dislike ideas that Vince likes or comes up with. It can sometimes depend on what day of the week it is. One day, Vince might be on top of the world and very friendly while, on the next day, he could be huffing & puffing about like an elephant with rabies and a nail stuck in its foot. In everything I've read, there's a sense conveyed that Triple H is someone who's much easier to approach and talk to, someone that doesn't blow a gasket if something doesn't go exactly according to plan, doesn't chew talent or commentators out like a rabid wolf if they make a few mistakes. For the most part, Trips comes off as someone who encourages talent to come forth with different ideas & plans. After all, they might come up with something that's better than what the creative team has planned.

Everything you mentioned is probably the reason NXT seems to come off as such a fun environment and most of the wrestlers with Gimmicks seem to fit their gimmicks well. It's ideal for a wrestling company to have an environment where SEVERAL acts are getting over and are convincing in their personas. For example, Kassius Ohno, Corey Graves, Leo Kruger, Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville(a work in progress), Bo Dallas, Aiden English, Enzo Amore, Colin Kassidy, Tyler Breeze, Paige, Emma, Summer Rae, Bayley and Sasha Banks are all simultaneously over. It's been awhile since that many acts have simultaneously been over in a WWE related product. Maybe that's the reason why.

Two of NXT's best exports, Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose, have been just as good in WWE proper as they have Dahn Sath. Alright, well, I was never of the opinion that Bray Wyatt of all people needed a catchphrase, but other than that he's remained phenomenal. Ambrose, ditto. Have their promos been heavily scripted since they came up to the main roster? They haven't seemed so, but that's half the skill, isn't it?

NXT is as much a wrestling academy as it is a wrestling show; that wrestlers are tasked with developing their own characters and their own promo skills shouldn't really come as a surprise. I don't think it's necessarily a sign that WWE's going to return to the golden age of... bullet points.

And I love Enzo Amore. Everybody else should love Enzo Amore. Magic with a microphone. Just throwing that in there.

This is worrying if true, not that they have to come up with their own gimmicks but that they clearly missed or ignored the obvious... SON OF VADER...

This is the problem with WWE, they want to own everything, from gimmick to name and that hinders a lot of guys who are 2nd gen. What was wrong with him being Jesse White? Sure he's not the same size as his dad but he had a built in gimmick, heritage and potential manager... sure on the whole NXT seems to be working but like making McGillicutty wait 5 years to get a proper push as son of Perfect we now are starting to see 2nd gen guys either being let go or stuck in useless gimmicks like Bo Dallas...

Not everyone should be a WWE owned gimmick - the Rhodes boys just proved this...

If they are headed toward characters and creative driven by the wrestlers, this can only benefit the whole company/industry. More wrestlers with better ideas can only mean more wrestlers in creative in the future, which is what everyone wants really, people who know wrestling booking wrestling?

The only thing this reveals to me is that the superstars have no imagination at all. If I were given the chance to make my own character, I would go out of my way to make myself stand out. Just look at someone these old faces in history and build a character off them. At least when you make your own character, you're able to be passionate because only you'll know what that person is like.

You have to remember though the ONLY time this has ever truly worked in the past was the Attitude era, when the gloves were off in terms of restrictions on what they could say or do. Austin, DX and more importantly Pillman were able to push the envelope of not only what was acceptable to Standards and Practice but to the fans and bosses... Pillman would have been the big star had he not gotten hurt 3 days after he signed cos the business was ready for guys like him to just let it fly... he passed it onto Austin and all credit to him...

But it's ridiculous to think someone in NXT could explode that way or how a Flair or Dusty Rhodes or Bret Hart could because they are being trained to be WWE Sports Entertainers... that remit is far, far different to what the guys Trips now wants them to be like ever were.

Austin had years of learning, winning, losing and hard knocks to mould that persona... the WWE monopoly allows 6 months to a year of developmental time - then you're being evaluated, looked at marketing wise and tested every day... Austin and Bret had years where they were "just mid card", not even being looked at to step up. When Bret got that IC title he had 5 years served just in the company - 12-13 in total... Austin had 7 in the biz... These days they'll give you a mid card title months into your run - but there is is ridiculous conveyor belt mentality that says if you haven't moved up within 2 years you've failed... an NXT guy now is being measured on if they can "carry the company within 5 years...if not they're cut...

Rather than building a solid roster like they had in the Hogan era, lots of guys of all sizes who covered all bases, they seem to only want the Blue Chippers/Sure Things and that is a mistake.

Honestly, the only way this mentality is gonna end is if a few of the current crop of E stars club together, maybe with JR or Heyman and buy ROH or something (which I can see Punk and Bryan doing within 2 years) guys who know the system, know the pitfalls and more importantly what the fans DO want to see in talent..., not what Vince or the machine "thinks" they want or what's "best for business and balance sheets".

You have to remember though the ONLY time this has ever truly worked in the past was the Attitude era, when the gloves were off in terms of restrictions on what they could say or do. Austin, DX and more importantly Pillman were able to push the envelope of not only what was acceptable to Standards and Practice but to the fans and bosses... Pillman would have been the big star had he not gotten hurt 3 days after he signed cos the business was ready for guys like him to just let it fly... he passed it onto Austin and all credit to him...

But it's ridiculous to think someone in NXT could explode that way or how a Flair or Dusty Rhodes or Bret Hart could because they are being trained to be WWE Sports Entertainers... that remit is far, far different to what the guys Trips now wants them to be like ever were.

Austin had years of learning, winning, losing and hard knocks to mould that persona... the WWE monopoly allows 6 months to a year of developmental time - then you're being evaluated, looked at marketing wise and tested every day... Austin and Bret had years where they were "just mid card", not even being looked at to step up. When Bret got that IC title he had 5 years served just in the company - 12-13 in total... Austin had 7 in the biz... These days they'll give you a mid card title months into your run - but there is is ridiculous conveyor belt mentality that says if you haven't moved up within 2 years you've failed... an NXT guy now is being measured on if they can "carry the company within 5 years...if not they're cut...

Rather than building a solid roster like they had in the Hogan era, lots of guys of all sizes who covered all bases, they seem to only want the Blue Chippers/Sure Things and that is a mistake.

Honestly, the only way this mentality is gonna end is if a few of the current crop of E stars club together, maybe with JR or Heyman and buy ROH or something (which I can see Punk and Bryan doing within 2 years) guys who know the system, know the pitfalls and more importantly what the fans DO want to see in talent..., not what Vince or the machine "thinks" they want or what's "best for business and balance sheets".

I do agree with you regarding how guys like Austin and Hart had to scratch and claw for everything they earned. These two were probably told numerous times that they would never rise past a certain point. They found a way to achieve greatness, but it didn't happen overnight. The WWE seems determined to push their new guys as hard as they can, mostly because they've failed in recent years to really make anyone as huge as John Cena is. The reason why they push Cena constantly is because he's the main draw. Back in the Attitude Era, Austin and the Rock were seen as the two main draws. Will Daniel Bryan become the Rock to Cena's Austin? Who knows.

I also agree with the way the championships are treated in regards to new guys. It's mostly done as a way to get them over. Dean Ambrose and Curtis Axel are great performers who could make the United States and Intercontinental Championships mean something again, but they're involved in storylines where the titles are treated as afterthoughts. Back in the day, guys would work for years just to get an opportunity at becoming champion. The Intercontinental Championship was a good example of hard work paying off. Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon and others were putting on excellent matches and performances and got over because of it. As a result, they were rewarded for their hard work by holding the Intercontinental Championship. They didn't recieve the title to get over. They recieved the title BECAUSE they were over.

But the biggest problem with the wrestling landscape is that the territory system is dead. There's also no more WCW or ECW. Back then, if things didn't work out in one place or if they accomplished all that they could, they could just pack up and go elsewhere. It was a strong learning experience for them to work in front of different crowds and try out new things. It is a lot to expect from the developmental guys to rise to the heights of greats such as Hogan, Flair, Hart, Michaels, Rock, Austin and Cena. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are guys who rose up the ladder, but that's mostly because of the years they spent traveling and working around the world before getting noticed by WWE. They were true journeymen whose hard work paid off for them.

I think giving the developmental wrestlers more freedom in their characters is a good thing. Even though people think of NXT as just as TV show, it's also a school. These guys are learning how to work the WWE and get over in front of an audience. If something isn't working, the wrestler has his gimmick tweaked or is repackaged altogether. It's probably not the ideal formula, but it's the one they have to use to stay in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back