Re-Kindling The Diva's Division

Viola Moonlight

I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
As of late, the WWE are slowly but surely rebuilding itself. They are training the new Main Event superstars up & giving prestige back to the titles over on SmackDown, teaching the kids as well as give some exposure to old favourites on ECW & utilising the RAW brand for testing the grounds for their entertainment factor, PG ratings, etc. They have also conducted a miniture draft to get the ball rolling, bringing in new superstars in the talent initiative & re-shuffling their deck of cards known as their roster to for the best optimum hand of wrestlers. The midcard & tag team divisions are even being worked into restoration. I think many will agree that the WWE are on the right track & are gaining speed.

However, the one thing that I have noticed with the WWE & their rebuilding schedule is that the women's division seem to be last on the list of priorities. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing as you go to prioritise whats important, but with a roster full of exceptional female talent [bar a couple] I think the WWE need to hurry up & do something with them.

Just recently, one of the best female wrestlers that the WWE had, Victoria, has just been recently released & is off on TNA as Tara where she is having a great run. I guess I can cancel this out with the acquisition of Gail Kim... good move WWE. Yet, even though TNA's KnockOut roster is less bulkier than WWE's Diva roster, I still tune into TNA Impact! to view the KnockOut matches over WWE Diva matches. This is the only time I choose to watch TNA Impact!

I thought to myself, why in the hell do I prefer TNA's KnockOut division over WWE's Diva division? And then it hit me... the WWE Diva's dont' have gimmicks or characters or any persona at all. The only diva in WWE who actually has something to contribute in this department is Maryse... but even that is Maryse just playing the stereotypical french person, which isnt hard for somebody who is French to pull off [though me like what I see]. It's like Shelton Benjamin doing the "angry-black man" persona a while back, very easy to pull off.

So, my question is this... Should the WWE give the Diva's gimmicks/characters/persona's like the male wrestlers? If so, what particular one would you want to see & who would you select to perform it?

Personally, yes. It would bring life back to the division & give me a reason to watch them again as the prefered division over the TNA KnockOut's. Idk about any of you, but I would mark the f**k out if they slowly transform Mickie James back into her psycho state [kinda like the same pace Edge's face turn would of done & CM Punk's heel turn is currently doing]. She played that role excellent. Seeing this would definitely turn heads, especially mine!

Any thoughts???

jus the generic sexy powerful smart tagline doesnt work at all. some arent sexy, most arent powerful, and most definitely arent smart when it comes to ring psychology. none of em hav a character. beth phoenix has a good character, but where has she been? maryse is actually growing on me, but the others like eve, alicia fox and rosa jus need to be sent back to wherever the hell they came from. if michelle had more character, she would be the shit no doubt

I know the generic female character you prescribe doesn't work & I definitely know none bar Maryse have a definitive character... that is why I ask the question if you would like to give them life with a particular gimmick/persona/character & if so, what would you choose.

Like maybe a masked female warrior who happens to be a martial arts expert or lucha libre wrestler???

jus the generic sexy powerful smart tagline doesnt work at all. some arent sexy, most arent powerful, and most definitely arent smart when it comes to ring psychology. none of em hav a character. beth phoenix has a good character, but where has she been? maryse is actually growing on me, but the others like eve, alicia fox and rosa jus need to be sent back to wherever the hell they came from. if michelle had more character, she would be the shit no doubt

I dont understand a word of any of this.

and now to the topic on hand I think the Diva's would benefit by having gimmicks rather than just being generic heels and faces. They would also benefit by losing half of the women that are currently employed by the WWE because their waste of time, money, and air as far as I’m concerned.

Lets look at the basic formula for briging in a new Diva to build her up in the WWE.
The Crazy Super Fan, but not all Diva's can be bought in the same way Mickie was, the same way Beth was, and now the same way Rosa Mendez was. They can’t all be over crazy fans that’ll stop at nothing to get in the ring with their hero. We've seen this too many times.

Diva search, ugh god lets hope we dont have to suffer for 8 weeks ever again with this nonsense. I don't even need to go any futher with this part to get my point a crossed.

Manager/Valet this is were some of the women in the WWE could better be used. Its currently working in the Hart Dynasty, and with Eve siding with Cryme Tyme. It feels out the stable and opens up the options for feuds. Some of the Diva's should go back to managing male wrestlers rather than wrestling for themselves. This would work even better for the ones who have no in ring talent, but can talk on the mic, well none really come to mind in this area at all, but you get where Im going.

On air talent, in a non wrestling role. Tiffany on ECW is doing it as the GM. Maybe some of the Diva's should host the Talk Shows (which honestly all need to go away as well, but thats a different topic all together) or they could do interviews, but we seriously don't need them all to be wrestlers. The first few Bella Twin switcheroos were fun, and different, but its old, its beyond old and they both need fired.

Diva's tag matches should be completely ended, I mean completely ended. They barely have a men’s tag division, but yet you have women’s tag matches? What the fuck? Seriously?

Some of them can wrestle but the majority of them suck, and I’m talking 95% of the women in the WWE couldn’t wrestle there way out of a box, a wet paper sack, or a bed sheet.

Beth Phoenix was on a ROLL going into WM25; even with the comedy act know as Santino, but her character was completely ruined with the Santino/Santana story line. Now where is she? She not in the title picture and there for not on the show at all. She’s one of the most talented women’s wrestlers on the face of the planet, and she’s not on the show? I call bullshit.

At least when he had Trish and Lita around they got involved in major story lines and earned their spot on the card. The current Divas don’t deserve shit, but yet we have to suffer with them every week.

Much like every other aspect of the WWE I’m disappointed on a weekly basis by what were having to watch.

Well of course I think the WWE should take more time to create gimmicks, characters, and let the divas progress and evolve like the men, but I don't think the WWE or the majority of the fans really care.

The argument could be made that the reason why the fans don't care about the diva's is because the WWE doesn't create characters, and make interesting storylines. This could be true, but honestly I don't think the WWE really cares enough to invest time. The divas are there for looks. They are used to intrigue the males and keep them happy. Wrestling comes second I do believe. The WWE could take alittle more time at creating gimmicks, storylines and the writers could invest time into making the division great, but really even if the division was top notched it probably wouldn't help the viewership much imo.

So sadly I doubt the WWE will invest time into making the divas intriging characters and what not because they don't think the gain is worth the investment. As a huge diva's fan, I would love for them to have great gimmicks and be less generic. Maryse has a character, and plays it well and that's why she has become so popular. Same with Beth.

They have been building McCool up nicely as being a unstoppable force, and they go on and off making Melina a fiesty hell cat. The problem with the WWE is that their attention span is short. They take a few weeks trying to develope someones character, to all of a sudden stop it.

I think WWE has some really talented performer(Melina/McCool/Maryse/Beth/Jillian/ Nattie/Katie) and some girls with great potential(Alicia/Eve/Kelly) they just need to create gimmicks and storylines that will make the viewers want to invest in them.

I dont understand a word of any of this.

Well responded...

They would also benefit by losing half of the women that are currently employed by the WWE because their waste of time, money, and air as far as I’m concerned.

Not necessarily, I think everyone should be given a chance. If they need some work, send them to ECW or the farm territory FCW. Right now, the diva's that need to be mainstays on TV are:

Mickie James, Beth Phoenix, Maryse, Gail Kim, Michelle McCool, Melina & Natalya

Those that need some time to develop are:

Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, The Bella Twins, Katie-Lead Burchill, Alicia Fox & Jillian Hall.

By my calculations that leaves three diva's left. Maria, Layla & Tiffany. Maria did very well as a backstage interviewer & knows how to design clothes. There is a job for her instead of casting her out. Tiffany is doing fine as GM & should be in preparation for her debut soon. As for Layla, she does ohkay for the dance competition's or valet/manager.

The only one I see being fired as of now is Layla. A few years in WWE & still isn't recognisable.

Lets look at the basic formula for briging in a new Diva to build her up in the WWE.

Ohkay shoot my friend...

The Crazy Super Fan, but not all Diva's can be bought in the same way Mickie was, the same way Beth was, and now the same way Rosa Mendez was. They can’t all be over crazy fans that’ll stop at nothing to get in the ring with their hero. We've seen this too many times.

Agreed. It should only be done every once in a while.

Diva search

Disagreed. You do realise Michelle McCool, Ashley Massaro & Maryse all came from the Diva Search. Sure it gave us Joy Giovonni & Layla [the forgetables] but it did its job.

Everything else you said is completely agreable to me [besides firing the Bella Twins]. They need time to adapt.

However, the one thing that I have noticed with the WWE & their rebuilding schedule is that the women's division seem to be last on the list of priorities.
This isn't neccessarily a bad thing as you go to prioritise whats important, but with a roster full of exceptional female talent [bar a couple] I think the WWE need to hurry up & do something with them.

They've been rebuilding it for a while, by the end of this year the division should be back to where it was when Trish and Lita left. The establishment of Michelle and Marsye as top heels was a big part of the process.

Just recently, one of the best female wrestlers that the WWE had, Victoria, has just been recently released & is off on TNA as Tara where she is having a great run.

Victoria never reached that upper echelon of female entertainers, WWE utilization of her as a jobber was by far the best use for her. TNA will probably realize this soon as well.

I guess I can cancel this out with the acquisition of Gail Kim... good move WWE.

Replacing a jobber with another jobber. Gail Kim may get her day in the sun, but it won't be anytime soon; not with superior workers like Michelle and Melina around.

I thought to myself, why in the hell do I prefer TNA's KnockOut division over WWE's Diva division? And then it hit me... the WWE Diva's dont' have gimmicks or characters or any persona at all.

Not true, all of the divas portray distinct personal traits that set them apart from each other. Most of the diva's have characters with depth, it's just that some are much deeper than others.

The only diva in WWE who actually has something to contribute in this department is Maryse... but even that is Maryse just playing the stereotypical french person, which isnt hard for somebody who is French to pull off [though me like what I see]. It's like Shelton Benjamin doing the "angry-black man" persona a while back, very easy to pull off.

Maryse isn't the only with a character, Melina, Mickie, and Michelle all portray characters with quite a bit of depth. I'll explain further.

Maryse - You're definition of her gimmick is lacking, you're only seeing the surface. She's arrogant, audacious, and pompous. She lives through her own image while belittling everyone else. She's a dirty player who often cheats to win, but in reality doesn't really need to, as she's proven herself to be quite formidable. Her current character is very much like the one Ric Flair used back in his prime. People don't boo Maryse because she's French Canadian, they boo her because she's portrays a mean, callous, bitch.

Mickie- While quite a few people believe that Mickie should return to her psycho heel persona that she had a few years ago, I disagree. Such a move would be a step backwards for Mickie at this point, having transitioned her character through a successful face run. Mickie's character is a true go getter, courageous, the first to try and meet a new challenge head on. She's tenacious and will see things to the end. The audience connects with Mickie's character because she represents justice...much like John Cena.

Melina- Melina portrays a character that is a black sheep, a lone wolf, almost borderline anti hero. She has a fiery temper, when facing an "enemy" in the ring notice how much more aggressive she behaves than when she's in the ring with a "friendly rival". Her character can be brutal when she wants to be and she can also be rather cutthroat at times. She usually receives good reactions, but I don't think its an accident when she receives mixed reactions.

Michelle- Michelle's character is a snob... simply put. She puts allot of value into her skills and often brags about being the top competitor. Her character is aggressive, but not overly so. Michelle is a cold and calculating competitor and even though the character she portrays is as old as wrestling itself, it's still affective. The crowd watches Michelle in the hopes of watching her lose, watching her being knocked off her high horse... and when it doesn't happen the audience hates her even more.

Four current divas each with four different, in depth gimmicks. Many of the other divas also have distinct character traits that set their two dimensional characters apart for the others.

One thing i think most of you are failing to mention is the Diva division since Stratus and Lita and other divas who had ring experience(Molly Holly,Sable,to name a few)went threw a lot of change.Until WWE went PG they had a recurring partnership with Playboy.Sure divas like Torrie and Sable posed for playboy before but for a while a WWE Diva was appearing in Playboy during/around Wrestlemania.That led to us having to see WWE hire eye candy after eye candy and very few diva's had wrestling ability.Fast forward to PG and the WWE not working with Playboy now and you sre starting to see more focus on in ring ability and not just pretty faces.

I think two things are leading to a better future for Diva's in WWE.The success of the Knockouts is one thing.TNA does have plenty of pretty diva's but these diva's also have decent in ring skill.The new PG rating.You are seeing Diva's like Beth Phoenix(who isn't ugly herself) coming in who can portay a dominant female wrestler role.

I think over the next 6 months to 1 year the division will look much better.Right now the Diva's division is in a transition from super model/eye candy playboy models to actual divas with wrestling ability(See Natalya and Maryse and other newer divas like Melina and Beth Phoenix and Micky James)Plus once divas like Kelly Kelly get trained and better they will also be great.Shes only like 21 and has plenty of time to improve and get there wrestling ability wise.

I think the answer is pretty simple...hire ACTUAL female wrestlers, not models. The majority of the divas are winners or leftovers from the diva searches over the years, so all you're going to get from them is the same stupid poses and boring wrestling. The shitty wrestling in particular is a direct consequence from not paying your dues and making a name for yourself and working your way to the top outside of the WWE, but I'm not here to argue about all that. I think that's especially what makes the knockouts division especially shine, the fact that most of their wrestlers come from independents.

Let's talk about the characters for a minute. Having a persona is obviously necessary, like Echelon was explaining. The problem though, in my opinion, is that persona isn't really enough to keep people tuned in. The WWE has completely thrown out storylines in the women's division, and all that's left is something along the lines of "she's a heel/bitch," "she's a heel/bitch because she hangs around other heels/bitches," or "she's not a heel/bitch because this or that." Then they throw the women's and diva's titles around like an accessory that seemingly has no end. That is beyond boring.

Here's what I think needs to be done. First of all, the entire division needs to be overhauled. Some of the divas, especially Kelly Kelly, Maria, and Layla, need to get out of the ring and stick to being valets and managers. They're beautiful, and can talk on the mic, but I can't stand watching another match with them in it. They really need to properly train the women in FCW, and for god sakes, stop training divas because they're pretty. All that translates into is cookie cutter wrestling that is ultimately unoriginal and boring. If the WWE wants hard working employees, they should be scouting at independent shows, not through modeling agencies. With the storylines, quite simply put, we need more of them because there really aren't any. I'm pretty sure no one wants another Torrie Wilson and her father storyline but jeez give me something interesting to follow. And what happened to all the cutting edge stuff that the divas used to do? Beyond bra and panties matches, I mean you had Chyna in the royal rumble and Jaqueline winning the cruiserweight championship, among many other things of course. Hell even the valets were doing interesting things.

Ultimately, I'll end with this. Creative simply needs to put more effort into the women's division. They need to actually write a storyline or two, and start to look really hard at the roles that the divas are playing, because all I'm seeing is a serious case of identity crisis. Let's see some fresh faces, good wrestling, and interesting storylines, because like most of you, I'm tired of fast forwarding divas matches...

Victoria never reached that upper echelon of female entertainers, WWE utilization of her as a jobber was by far the best use for her. TNA will probably realize this soon as well.

I have to disagree here. I have to admit, being a jobber on the actual WWE roster seems more credible than defeating some local wrestlers that the WWE audience probably has no clue here... but I just didn't see Victoria being a jobber like she was. And I hope that TNA utilises her to the full potential she really has. With her knee injuries by themselves, I think Tara has got only a few good runs left before she has to hang up the boots. She at least brought something to the table unlike some of the other diva's [ahem... Layla].

Replacing a jobber with another jobber. Gail Kim may get her day in the sun, but it won't be anytime soon; not with superior workers like Michelle and Melina around.

Using your point of view, wasn't I still right when the loss of Victoria/Tara = the gain of Gail Kim??? With innovative moves & the excitement she brang to a match on RAW I saw recently could really light a spark under the fans to get behind her. Since the trade to RAW from SmackDown so damn quickly after she re-signed must mean she has done something right. With two diva's titles in the WWE, she will have her day in the sun.[/QUOTE]

Not true, all of the divas portray distinct personal traits that set them apart from each other. Most of the diva's have characters with depth, it's just that some are much deeper than others.

Yes, but I simply asked the question does the Diva's division need gimmicks/characters/persona's like the men's division seems to have. Not if the Diva's division needs gimmicks/characters/persona's period. In other words, maybe one or two wrestlers adopt a gimmick... like the men's division. I mean, Undertaker has a gimmick yet so many other male competitors have characters/persona's.

Maybe I should of rephrased the question including the word depth?

Maryse isn't the only with a character, Melina, Mickie, and Michelle all portray characters with quite a bit of depth. I'll explain further.

Ohkay... let's go for it mate...

Maryse - You're definition of her gimmick is lacking, you're only seeing the surface. She's arrogant, audacious, and pompous. She lives through her own image while belittling everyone else. She's a dirty player who often cheats to win, but in reality doesn't really need to, as she's proven herself to be quite formidable. Her current character is very much like the one Ric Flair used back in his prime. People don't boo Maryse because she's French Canadian, they boo her because she's portrays a mean, callous, bitch.

Although I am an Australian, my background is basically made up of Europe with the main one being French. I have also been to France as well visiting family & interacting with the locals from time to time. Depending where you go, the Maryse you have described is the exact Maryse I have describe... the stereotypical french person. They can be mean bitches who are arrogant, audacious & pompous. However, callious is really touch-&-go in terms of a french person.

Oh... I know people don't boo her because she is French Canadian, that isn't allowed in a PG-rated company operating in a political-correct, equal opportunity for all society.

Mickie- While quite a few people believe that Mickie should return to her psycho heel persona that she had a few years ago, I disagree. Such a move would be a step backwards for Mickie at this point, having transitioned her character through a successful face run. Mickie's character is a true go getter, courageous, the first to try and meet a new challenge head on. She's tenacious and will see things to the end. The audience connects with Mickie's character because she represents justice...much like John Cena.

The reason as to why Mickie James got over in the first place, besides a following from her previous wrestling experiences & her exceptional skills in the ring, was her psychotic character & how well she was able to use the bookings given to her in a suberb fashion. After she gotten rid of the psycho character, the fans accepted her as a legitimate wrestler.

Yes, probably not a good idea to revert back to the character... but I feel that character still had some gas in the tank left. Going there is probably a step backwards...

Did I mention that every face usually contains those characteristics that prescribe as Mickie's character? In my books, that isn't a character... its is Mickie being a face. Being a face is no character or persona... its just being a face. However, I still accept your definition of Maryse's character as that is a character, not just being heel. Yes, all heel's act like this... but not to the extent that Maryse does. She has morphed heel into her character which would lead to believe that if she turns face she would keep her abnoxious, arrogant attitude.

Melina- Melina portrays a character that is a black sheep, a lone wolf, almost borderline anti hero. She has a fiery temper, when facing an "enemy" in the ring notice how much more aggressive she behaves than when she's in the ring with a "friendly rival". Her character can be brutal when she wants to be and she can also be rather cutthroat at times. She usually receives good reactions, but I don't think its an accident when she receives mixed reactions.

After what I said just previously, I will have to agree. I admit I forgot to add Melina in the mix. Thankyou for the correction. So, its two out of the three mentioned so far that has a character/persona/gimmick.

Michelle- Michelle's character is a snob... simply put. She puts a lot of value into her skills and often brags about being the top competitor. Her character is aggressive, but not overly so. Michelle is a cold and calculating competitor and even though the character she portrays is as old as wrestling itself, it's still affective. The crowd watches Michelle in the hopes of watching her lose, watching her being knocked off her high horse... and when it doesn't happen the audience hates her even more.

Most of what you prescribe is being a heel, not being a character/persona/gimmick. The only thing I can find here is that she is an agressive snob. However, Michelle... as well as Melina, Mickie & Maryse... portray themselves perfectly as diva's.

Many of the other divas also have distinct character traits that set their two dimensional characters apart for the others.

Still, this doesn't break the glass ceiling of being a face/heel & having a character/persona/gimmick.

I think I shall ask the question again... DOES ANYONE WANT TO SEE A GIMMICK/CHARACTER/PERSONA IN WWE'S DIVAS DIVISION. ANY PARTICULAR ONE??? AND IS THERE ANYONE IN PARTICULAR WHO YOU PUT IN THIS POSITION???

Read this question carefully please. I am asking for gimmicks you want see... a particular character being portrayed... an actual persona being adopted... for a female, not a male. Like an Undertaker of the diva's division or something like that????

I think I shall ask the question again... DOES ANYONE WANT TO SEE A GIMMICK/CHARACTER/PERSONA IN WWE'S DIVAS DIVISION. ANY PARTICULAR ONE??? AND IS THERE ANYONE IN PARTICULAR WHO YOU PUT IN THIS POSITION???

Read this question carefully please. I am asking for gimmicks you want see... a particular character being portrayed... an actual persona being adopted... for a female, not a male. Like an Undertaker of the diva's division or something like that????

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this suggestion. If you're referring to having a diva live up to the "deadman" personna, that would be the end of the womens divison all together. Santina would be more realistic to have as a true competitor compared to that.

Anyways, to answer your question about the divas getting the chance to create personnas that either are better than the knockouts division or like the male wrestlers, the answer is no. For starters, the women in the WWE are atrocious actresses. Let's face it, there are only 3 safe options to use for the divas, the bitch, the crowd favourite or the powerhouse (which can't be used for every diva obviously). The characters can go more in depth like stated a few posts above, but that's just over thinking it. If you look at their characters for the first time, they just resemble the safe 3. Now, since the womens division is pretty much a clusterfuck already, for the writers to come out with awful characters, that would just worsen the division. It'll be like wrestlicious all over again, and we really don't want that to happen. But to be honest, the women's division has never really needed the role of some crazy personna to carry it. If we go back a few years, pretty much all the divas fell under the categories stated above. So I don't believe that personnas/characters can save the womens divison. The only thing that can save it would be for the writers to take it seriously. But that's a different story for another time.

So in conclusion, no basically. The divas doesn't need crazy characters to make them look more like the jokes that they already seem to be. They just need a few good solid storylines, and to polish up on their in-ring skills. Once that's sorted, the womens division will go back to being fairly entertaining rather than just another piss break.

That's my opinion, make of it what you will.

I don't know if you can rekindle the division because it is almost burned out. You still have divas like Maryse, Mickie, Michelle, and Melina who can wrestle. Kelly Kelly is constantly improving and the rest are basically jobbers (Jillian) or eye candy (Bella Twins). The last great storyline concerning the divas was the Mickie James/Trish one and that was one of the most interesting storylines during RAW at that time. That lead to a great match at Wrestlemania 22. It just seems like their storylines boil down to "You won title, I want shot at title." There's need to be more behind that but I don't know how you would spin it. If creative can spend hours making Orton/HHH #3323, they can make a little time to think something up for the divas.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this suggestion. If you're referring to having a diva live up to the "deadman" personna, that would be the end of the womens divison all together. Santina would be more realistic to have as a true competitor compared to that.

... [deep breath]... sigh... no I was not refering to a female Undertaker, I was just giving an example of sorts, since nobody has really given me a suggestion...

Let's face it, there are only 3 safe options to use for the divas, the bitch, the crowd favourite or the powerhouse (which can't be used for every diva obviously).

This is exactly the reason I posted this thread. There are only three safe ways of portraying a female wrestler... why not mix it up a little & actually give someone a gimmick of sorts. WWE are currently rebuilding & since the women's division is what many people refer to as a toilet break, I don't think there is any harm in giving a diva a gimmick/character/persona of sorts. If it flops, get rid of it & will be easily forgotten... if it catches on, use it. Simple.

The characters can go more in depth like stated a few posts above, but that's just over thinking it. If you look at their characters for the first time, they just resemble the safe 3. Now, since the womens division is pretty much a clusterfuck already, for the writers to come out with awful characters, that would just worsen the division. It'll be like wrestlicious all over again, and we really don't want that to happen. But to be honest, the women's division has never really needed the role of some crazy personna to carry it. If we go back a few years, pretty much all the divas fell under the categories stated above. So I don't believe that personnas/characters can save the womens divison. The only thing that can save it would be for the writers to take it seriously. But that's a different story for another time.

So in conclusion, no basically. The divas doesn't need crazy characters to make them look more like the jokes that they already seem to be. They just need a few good solid storylines, and to polish up on their in-ring skills. Once that's sorted, the womens division will go back to being fairly entertaining rather than just another piss break.

I like & respect your opinion there Sophie Davis. Mainly because of what you wrote, with hints that you have a quarter of the posts I have made yet have double the reputation I already have. However, there is alot here I could "discuss" on the thread but I simply don't have the energy too. I think this thread is a fail rating of 0 stars according to my FECS device.

I regret not making this a fantasy post instead of this rant & question thread. Fantasy threads really put me over on WrestleZone Forums.

the WWE divas are 100% pathetic.WWE does not care for there womens divisions AT ALL,as long as WWE is BEATING TNA in the ratings,WWE DOES NOT CARE that TNA has a better womens divisions

Giving WWE divas a gimmick or persona is the stupidest thing i ever heard,what,you want an undertaker kelly kelly,hahahah

the problem with WWE is that they don't give time and effort to there womens division and I don't see that changing,you have butterfley title and a womens title and you basically win those titles if your Vinces playtoy favorite of the month

you have talentless models that can't wrestler for shit and have no business in the wrestling industry like Maryse,kelly kelly,Maria,eve,Layla,tiffany,Rosa,alicia,and the bellas and the real wrestlers that can wrestler are backstage collecting dust like katie lea,Natayla,Jillian,melina,Beth,and gail.

TNA has a successiful womens division because THEY CARE and THEY GIVE the knockouts storylines,giving the WWE divas gimmicks is not going to change anything,it's just going to make the divas more pathetic then they already are

WWE divas only storylines are "you have title,me want title" and no,thats not a storyline,WWE needs to care about there womens division to make it better,will that happen?NO

don't take this the wrong way but just give it up,WWE divas are not going to change,it's been this way for years and it's not going to change

just watch the TNA knockouts because there awesome unlike the divas and they have respect

I have to disagree here. I have to admit, being a jobber on the actual WWE roster seems more credible than defeating some local wrestlers that the WWE audience probably has no clue here... but I just didn't see Victoria being a jobber like she was.

And why not? she wasn't half the performer that Lita or Trish were, and after one failed gimmick after the other it was only natural that the WWE relocate her to jobber status. But this thread isn't about Victoria, if you disagree with me further PM me and we'll continue this debate.

Using your point of view, wasn't I still right when the loss of Victoria/Tara = the gain of Gail Kim???

No not really, Gail Kim isn't much of an acquisition when she herself is being carried through her matches.

With innovative moves & the excitement she brang to a match on RAW I saw recently could really light a spark under the fans to get behind her.

Keyword being could, spots monkey's don't generally receive half the ovation of performers that actually know how to work a great match without relying on a ton of fancy moves.

Since the trade to RAW from SmackDown so damn quickly after she re-signed must mean she has done something right. With two diva's titles in the WWE, she will have her day in the sun.

Yeah being relocated from the flagship show to the B show sure is an accomplishment :rolleyes:

Yes, but I simply asked the question does the Diva's division need gimmicks/characters/persona's like the men's division seems to have. Not if the Diva's division needs gimmicks/characters/persona's period. In other words, maybe one or two wrestlers adopt a gimmick... like the men's division. I mean, Undertaker has a gimmick yet so many other male competitors have characters/persona's.

I know what you asked, I didn't respond to it because the diva's already has several women with in depth characters, which I merely pointed out to you. The division doesn't really have a need for a bunch of over the top gimmicks.

Gimmicks like the one The Undertaker has are very two dimensional, those types of gimmicks generally have a very short shelf life. Many of the men have characters that are able to grow, evolve and adapt with them, which is why they work for so long.

The women's division in the WWE has the same formula as the men's division, just on a much smaller scale

Although I am an Australian, my background is basically made up of Europe with the main one being French. I have also been to France as well visiting family & interacting with the locals from time to time. Depending where you go, the Maryse you have described is the exact Maryse I have describe... the stereotypical french person. They can be mean bitches who are arrogant, audacious & pompous. However, callious is really touch-&-go in terms of a french person.

But the fact that she's French has nothing to do with the success of her gimmick, Maryse could be from the United States and her character would still garner the same success.

The reason as to why Mickie James got over in the first place, besides a following from her previous wrestling experiences & her exceptional skills in the ring, was her psychotic character & how well she was able to use the bookings given to her in a suberb fashion. After she gotten rid of the psycho character, the fans accepted her as a legitimate wrestler.

Mickie got over largely due to Trish's efforts, it helped that Mickie herself was a phenomenal talent, but Trish was the one that elevated Mickie in the eyes of the fans. Mickie's psycho gimmick was nothing more than a stepping stone gimmick.

Yes, probably not a good idea to revert back to the character... but I feel that character still had some gas in the tank left. Going there is probably a step backwards...

The character is two dimensional, it would be a step backwards. Mickie lacks the popularity of someone like Undertaker or Kane to pull something like that off.

Did I mention that every face usually contains those characteristics that prescribe as Mickie's character?

Yeah... it's been that way since wrestling was started, and it continues to work.

In my books, that isn't a character... its is Mickie being a face. Being a face is no character or persona... its just being a face.

What are you talking about? Lack of persona? :lmao: That what a face is, the good guy, the "superhero" if you will. This is Mickie's persona. The traits that Mickie's persona possesses are enough to keep her character over... because the fans relate to her persona... her virtues, her actions, her morals... all relatable. Add to this formula courageousness and tenacity and Mickie's persona becomes a character with plenty of room for evolution.

Why do you think that Mickie continues to receive loud pops, despite not doing much of anything the past year?

Most of what you prescribe is being a heel, not being a character/persona/gimmick.

There are different types of heels, heels are generally described as being dirty cheaters, acting out of desperation to preserve a win. This basic formula has worked for decades, and it'll continue to work. Michelle's character follows this formula, but at the same time putting her own spin on it by putting additional stock into her own level of skill, add some levels of aggressiveness and ruthlessness to the mix and you've got a solid character with tons of room to grow and evolve.

Michelle could continue to be one of the top women on the roster, and her character would never get old, she'll always generate a heelish reaction.

Not really, there isn't much of a need for any over the top gimmicks in the women's division, the best thing for them to do is to keep everything simplified... which is exactly what WWE is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back