• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Raw vs Smackdown for Real

chief

WWE Million Dollar Champion
:blush:Please don't rip this Thread Apart, it's just a "what if" type of thread

Ok, so I know this will probably NEVER happen.

BUT, what if RAW and Smackdown went head to head LIVE. It would give the writers a good kick and would be interesting for a little while. Maybe they could do this for a week or 2 leading up to Bragging Rights.

I understand that MyNetwork TV doesn't get the coverage that USA gets, but lets just say Smackdown was on NBC or something like that?

Which show would you watch?
What impact would it have on the Quality of the shows if he writers were given permission to legitimately try and win the ratings battle?

Discuss.

if both were on at the same time, and both readily available(like you said, nbc, for example) then I would watch Smackdown. Better overall wrestling, better wrestlers, and less corny. You see Teddy long for about 10 seconds a week, and you see the guest host about 20 minutes it seems sometimes. So if both shows stayed the same, but were on at the same time I would do what I do with Impact. I would record Raw and watch it after Smackdown.

I like the idea for it only before Bragging Rights though ppl will say no, just for 2-3 weeks IS okay. And funny as ppl would be watching Raw & SD! more than TNA meaning WWE more especially if they went out of PG with two shows, going head to head with themselves to take focus off the competition with better writing is cool & a funny idea to me as it's like "hey, TNA.. we dont take them seriously, come watch Raw & SD! to see how it's done"

Just kinda makes that pop into my head

but yeah you're gonna get hell for this thread

I would watch smackdown because it has more wrestlers I actually like on Smackdown than RAW. Like CM Punk, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Edge, JoMo, Matt Hardy, Kane and Rtruth. As for RAW maybe Shawn Michaels, Orton, Christian, the miz and Bigshow. Smackdown also has better storyines in my opinion. Smackdown also has a good Divas division with simply flawless and tha glamazon. Smackdown is also more serious with serious superstars and not stars that try to make us laugh with lame jokes. Smackdown also so doesn't have little leperchuans running wild. He was cool when he was with finlay but he is annoying sometimes. Smackdown also has better younger stars such as McIntyre and Ziggler. So what reason is there to watch smackdown for a guy like me. Clearly I'm a smackdown guy.

I know everyone says Smackdown! is better and has better wrestling than Raw but that does not make it good. It just how bad Raw has gotten people tend to think Smackdown! is a great brand when in actual fact, it is actualyl very very poor. Mainly becuase WWE don't give a fuck about it. I will take you through a Smackdown! show for an example.

Starts off with a pointless match that has no storyline whatsoever, it could have a storyline but doesnt. This match is probably a tag team match as they dont take too much time or thought to have a decent ending. Just a simple match. Matt Hardy & The Great Khali vs Hart Dynasty for example.

Next a promo. Ok I accept promos can work but not when they are overused as time fillers, which they are on Smackdown!

Next a Raw-Rebound which shows you how much they put into Raw. Do we see a Smackdown rebound on Raw? No. Horrible.

Another storyline-less match. Example Alicia Fox vs a Smackdown diva I actually dont know who is on Smackdown!. Thats kind of embarrasing. On mine and WWEs point.

Next another promo. Hmmm. getting a bit bored now.

CM Punk cuts a good promo. Maybe a match with the SES. Finally something wirth watching.

Another Promo.

A good midcard match with sort of a storyline hidden in it which. Example Drew McIntyre vs R-Truth or Dolph Ziggler vs Kane.

Another Promo.

And now my most hated part about Smackdown! THE VAULT?!?! WTF? Get a grip you horrible horrible bastards. You call yourselves writers and every week you haveto play old matches because you cant get anything for it.

Next a storyline invloving the women maybe. Which now seems like the best storyline ever because I was dying for any sort of writing.

Somethign to do with the main event. Who main events Smackdown?
Taker? Hardly there?
Jericho? Has been jumping between midcard and heavyweight title.
Batista? Is he still on Smackdown! I'll take you're word for it.
Mysterio? Suppose but isnt in it much.

Well they have Edge.

BUT

If it were changed to Monday nights? They would probably put more effort in and have more storlyines and less pointless matches and fillers.
But then you think, who is making these matches and storylines? The WWE writers, the same writers of write for the very show we critisise every week. Raw. So Smackdown would just be the same as Raw. Extremely family friendly and low on the wrestling front.

So I really do not know what I would watch. I'll go for Smackdown because they would probably bring back the Cruiserweight and Tag Team Titles which would be interesting.

I overread this I am not a WWE hater lol.

I think this is really an interesting idea, though I doubt it will ever be implemented, because Vince REALLY cares about his ratings (as he should), and running Raw and Smackdown at the same time slot would take viewers away from each other.

It would definitely showcase the clash of styles between the two shows, with Raw being the "entertainment" show and Smackdown being the classic wrestling show. I'd watch Smackdown for sure, since I know I'd see some good matches with the likes of Jericho, Edge, Morrison, R-Truth, and Ziggler. Rather than some stupid Hornswoggle "comedy" with some C list celebrity.

I know everyone says Smackdown! is better and has better wrestling than Raw but that does not make it good. It just how bad Raw has gotten people tend to think Smackdown! is a great brand when in actual fact, it is actualyl very very poor. Mainly becuase WWE don't give a fuck about it. I will take you through a Smackdown! show for an example.

Starts off with a pointless match that has no storyline whatsoever, it could have a storyline but doesnt. This match is probably a tag team match as they dont take too much time or thought to have a decent ending. Just a simple match. Matt Hardy & The Great Khali vs Hart Dynasty for example.

Next a promo. Ok I accept promos can work but not when they are overused as time fillers, which they are on Smackdown!

Next a Raw-Rebound which shows you how much they put into Raw. Do we see a Smackdown rebound on Raw? No. Horrible.

Another storyline-less match. Example Alicia Fox vs a Smackdown diva I actually dont know who is on Smackdown!. Thats kind of embarrasing. On mine and WWEs point.

Next another promo. Hmmm. getting a bit bored now.

CM Punk cuts a good promo. Maybe a match with the SES. Finally something wirth watching.

Another Promo.

A good midcard match with sort of a storyline hidden in it which. Example Drew McIntyre vs R-Truth or Dolph Ziggler vs Kane.

Another Promo.

And now my most hated part about Smackdown! THE VAULT?!?! WTF? Get a grip you horrible horrible bastards. You call yourselves writers and every week you haveto play old matches because you cant get anything for it.

Next a storyline invloving the women maybe. Which now seems like the best storyline ever because I was dying for any sort of writing.

Somethign to do with the main event. Who main events Smackdown?
Taker? Hardly there?
Jericho? Has been jumping between midcard and heavyweight title.
Batista? Is he still on Smackdown! I'll take you're word for it.
Mysterio? Suppose but isnt in it much.

Well they have Edge.

BUT

If it were changed to Monday nights? They would probably put more effort in and have more storlyines and less pointless matches and fillers.
But then you think, who is making these matches and storylines? The WWE writers, the same writers of write for the very show we critisise every week. Raw. So Smackdown would just be the same as Raw. Extremely family friendly and low on the wrestling front.

So I really do not know what I would watch. I'll go for Smackdown because they would probably bring back the Cruiserweight and Tag Team Titles which would be interesting.

I overread this I am not a WWE hater lol.

No but it sounds like you might be a Smackdown hater. Batista is their top heel, but you know they bounce between shows during Wrestlemania season. Did you seriously say Jericho has been in the midcard? The only time in the last year he was CLOSE to that was when he was tag champs with Big Show, and he did that to help try and put over the tag division and make Show more over against DX. Mysterio has been involved in 2 high profile fueds in the last 4 months, Batista and CM Punk. Edge,as you said. Taker is 45, what do you want him to do, show up every week to work a 10 minute match then make his match at Mania suck because he is burnt out? That is why he gets time off. He paid his dues, and has been loyal as hell to Vince so its the least Vince can do is give him a light schedule.
You can name Alicia Fox but can't name any other Divas on Smackdown??? Are you fucking kidding me? Mickie James, Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool and those are the 3 best women's wrestlers in the company(aside from maybe Gail Kim on Raw). Don't forget Natalya if they would ever let her wrestle. They haven't been booking midcard matches with much of a storyline as of late, but only because both the IC champ/US champ have matches at Mania already. Everyone else that is relevent is in MITB. So Ziggler vs Kane or McIntrye vs Hardy makes perfect sense, because they are in MITB. It builds tension for the match. The promos on Smackdown are MILES ahead of what we get on Raw/Impact/Nxt. I would say CM Punk has cut the best promos in the company in the last 4 years these last few months. Jericho is a god on the mic, and puts people over every chance he gets. Batista is giving his best work with Cena that he has put out since Evolution. Not to mention they have a GM that doesn't mind not being on tv and the creative team isn't barking in the announcers earpieces making them say stupid shit(im talking to you Michael Cole) or taking 100% control of what is in their promos(like they do with Cena). So please tell me what wrestling program you watch that has better talent/production/wrestling? If you tell me Raw I'll snicker, and if you say Impact I will literally fall to the floor laughing my ass of. I await your response.

If I had to choose between the two shows my thought process would be this: Raw has The Miz and Christian. Smackdown has Edge and C.M. Punk. Pretty much a toss-up. (Interesting thought, if they were running shows very near each other, ShowMiz could be on both shows at the beginning and end, but that's a different story.) Truth be told, it would probably be Raw because in addition to the two I mentioned before they also have Sheamus (I was a fan of The Miz when no one else was too, now almost everyone loves him), Orton, and as of right now Batista who is doing quite possibly the best work of his career. I'm even entertained by his prolonged ring entrances

Sorry I don't give well-thought out posts anymore and barely come here anymore. It's because I've lost my interest in WWE and I found another forum I go to daily (it's for my favorite band).

Anyways, I'm a fan of the idea. If this happened and WWE wasn't catering to 5 year olds and their families sitting on a couch together (this probably doesn't even happen), then it might be good. Think about back in the Attitude Era and the Monday Night Wars, the reason why these were so successful is because of the fan-bases and the intense crowds. Nowadays the fans at the area are little kids and their parents, not hardcore teenage/young adults anymore (18-25 years old). It just won't work with a shitty crowd cheering on its brand. The atmosphere and the fan watching at home won't connect properly with each other because the lack of heart from the fans cheering on their shows.

BUT, what if RAW and Smackdown went head to head LIVE. It would give the writers a good kick and would be interesting for a little while. Maybe they could do this for a week or 2 leading up to Bragging Rights.

No, that's a bad idea. Why would they put their own product against itself? Even if it's for Bragging Rights it's a bad idea because the brand rivalry should remain in the form of one show thinking it's better than the other and vice versa.... having Raw and Smackdown go up against each other would be taking this a little too far. Plus, it would mess up the schedules.... the Smackdown shows would all have to shift to mondays AND become live, neither of which will happen.

I understand that MyNetwork TV doesn't get the coverage that USA gets, but lets just say Smackdown was on NBC or something like that?

It would still be a bad idea. Why put your own product up against itself when you can just give the fans two shows a week like they already do? Raw on mondays + Smackdown on fridays will always get far more impressive ratings than the two of them against each other would since the fans are smart enough to know that it'd be the same federation competing against itself.

Which show would you watch?

Assuming this DID happen.... I would watch Smackdown because it has better matches and no guest hosts. Raw has more entertaining segments, but Smackdown will always get my vote over Raw as long as the annoying guest hosts are around.

What impact would it have on the Quality of the shows if he writers were given permission to legitimately try and win the ratings battle?

There would be no impact on the quality of the shows because Raw and Smackdown are part of the same federation, any ratings earned by either show all go to WWE anyway, so they would put on the same quality of show they normally do. The only way a ratings battle will affect the quality of the show is if the opponent is not part of the same organization.

No, that's a bad idea. Why would they put their own product against itself? Even if it's for Bragging Rights it's a bad idea because the brand rivalry should remain in the form of one show thinking it's better than the other and vice versa.... having Raw and Smackdown go up against each other would be taking this a little too far. Plus, it would mess up the schedules.... the Smackdown shows would all have to shift to mondays AND become live, neither of which will happen.

It would still be a bad idea. Why put your own product up against itself when you can just give the fans two shows a week like they already do? Raw on mondays + Smackdown on fridays will always get far more impressive ratings than the two of them against each other would since the fans are smart enough to know that it'd be the same federation competing against itself.

Assuming this DID happen.... I would watch Smackdown because it has better matches and no guest hosts. Raw has more entertaining segments, but Smackdown will always get my vote over Raw as long as the annoying guest hosts are around.

There would be no impact on the quality of the shows because Raw and Smackdown are part of the same federation, any ratings earned by either show all go to WWE anyway, so they would put on the same quality of show they normally do. The only way a ratings battle will affect the quality of the show is if the opponent is not part of the same organization.

I hear ya, with the first 2 parts of your last post. However, remember, I am aware of all the reasons that this doesn't work. I am just asking you to imagine it did for a moment, and discuss the thread based on that.

As far as what you said about ratings goes. I think there would be some impact with the ratings, yes all the ratings would go to the WWE, buts that not how we care about the ratings, its about individual programs, for example 21st Century Fox doesn't claim a combined rating for all of the shows it produces (Simpsons, Glee, Burn Notice etc), I think that some people who watch WWE only watch Raw, some only watch Smackdown and some watch both. Therefore more people would tune in Mondays to watch Smackdown and some of the people that watch both may watch Smackdown over Raw, like yourself for example. So could Smackdown ever reach the views that Raw does?
Also, Imagine for a second that Vince did tell the writers to go at it, and create the better show.

I think it would be interesting.

In order for this to work, I think a Draft would need to take place first. We may as well even out the rosters.

Next I think Unifying the Titles would be a good idea. Having the Champions go on any show gives the Championship double the amount of contenders. The Champs could alternate shows after each PPV or something like that.

Last, I would have the Weekly Guest Host Initiative take place on Smackdown as well, to make it a "level" playing field. The difference, Smackdown's Guest Hosts will only be former / returning Pro Wrestlers / WWE Superstars and Raw's will only be Celebrities.

I honestly would DVR Raw and Smackdown and watch Impact live, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back