• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Raw Roster/Local Talent

BrutalBarrett

Occasional Pre-Show
I know the point of usual local talent is to squash them and make the person squashing them look big and tough.

But I really think there's a limit to how much local talent you can use before it starts to lose its effect. It's great for the talent to get their 5 minutes of fame and to perform infront of huge crowds. But other than that they don't really get to showcase their talents.

With the likes of Braun Strowman and Nia Jaxx it's fine to begin with but looking at it in a kayfabe perspective. Are they not tough enough to take on anyone from the main roster?

Also after watching RAW from yesterday. Bo Dallas seems to now be starting a run against local talent, is the Roster really that thin that 3 superstars have no one to face to make them look strong?

What's your opinion on local talent being used?

I've been following wrestling for 30 years now, so to say that I'm happy to see the squash matches make a comeback is an understanding. Back in the 80's until the mid 90's this was the norm for wwe programming, you would have a big match starting the show then the rest of the show was enhancement matches and in the end I help the superstars become bigger so that when those jobber superstars would wrestles another superstars, it made It look like the superstar actually beat somebody.

I think they should continue using local talent on raw for squash match, not have more then 2 per show and alternate who get those matches, don't always give them to the same 2 peoples. So I didn't mind seeing bo dallas getting one of the 2 spots this week, next week, why not give somebody like curtis axel or another lower card guy a squash match and give the them some momentum so that when they face somebody higher on the card, we can actually think that they have a chance to win.

I don't mind the odd squash match during programming, ideally it would be on a minor show like Main-Event but if it's given talent like Bo Dallas 5 minutes of air-time then so be it.

Barry Horowitz, Brooklyn Brawler, Salvatore Sincere, The State Patrol, Rip Rogers. Some jobbers in Wrestling that I & many others will remember because they had a purpose.

I've been following wrestling for 30 years now, so to say that I'm happy to see the squash matches make a comeback is an understanding. Back in the 80's until the mid 90's this was the norm for wwe programming, you would have a big match starting the show then the rest of the show was enhancement matches and in the end I help the superstars become bigger so that when those jobber superstars would wrestles another superstars, it made It look like the superstar actually beat somebody.

I think they should continue using local talent on raw for squash match, not have more then 2 per show and alternate who get those matches, don't always give them to the same 2 peoples. So I didn't mind seeing bo dallas getting one of the 2 spots this week, next week, why not give somebody like curtis axel or another lower card guy a squash match and give the them some momentum so that when they face somebody higher on the card, we can actually think that they have a chance to win.

I completely agree. The only issue I would say that I have with using local talent is that the matches are usually over in less than a minute. I can understand allowing Nia and Strowman to squash their opponents but someone like Bo should have longer matches.
I want wwe to give us a reason for Bo to be facing local talents. For Jax and Strowman I see it as a "you don't bother me and I won't bother you" type thing with them and the rest of the locker room. With Bo he's nothing special. I would like to see someone like Bo(really Axel) say that he could out wrestle anyone from around the world. He can show off his skills in 5-6 minute matches against different types of wrestlers every week, Luchadores, technicians, powerhouses, etc. Just something other than, "this is a new and improved Bo." "look how viciously he attacks his opponents!"

Also based off of what happened on Raw, it looks as if Nia and Strowman have graduated from local talent and will be feuding with Alicia Fox and Sin Cara respectively.

The two's company and three's a crowd right? Nia is graduating to Alicia and Strowman may be graduating as well.

Didn't Dallas just get arrested in an airport? His reward is jobber squashing push? Good for him for working that out.

You need a strong lower card and pushing Dallas like this gets him to a point where he can have some momentum heading into matches with midcard guys.

I've liked the jobber squashing that's been happening on Raw. The alternative is you wind up turning your lower card into mega jobbers. Do we really want Strowman destroying Cara, Swagger or any of the other lower card faces until they're punchlines?

I'm glad the jobbers are back and I don't think that there's too much of it. Pointing out the fact that three people are squashing local talent seems a bit smarky to me. You're watching the show well, it doesn't mean you're more clever than the show.

Back in the day, you had your Pete Doherty's, Johnny Rodz' and Mr. X's. They were on TV EVERY week getting squashed. And, getting paid $25-50 for doing so. Today? These guys are making 6 figure salaries on the downside, with guaranteed appearance money. You are not going to squash someone like that every week. That is why it took a while. People like Jinder Mahal and Curt Hawkins have no problem with "Pin me, Pay me." However, nowadays the roster probably does. So, they go to the local indies for talent willing to get destroyed on National TV. It is not like they getting thousands. Maybe just $200 for Strowman to throw them around. It is not a bad thing as long as it leads somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back