• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the Feud: Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior

Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior

• It was good

• It was bad

• It was a classic

• It was horrible

• So-so

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dwayne_Jason

Do I have everybody's attention now
If this is already done, please move, and if this is in the wrong section please move. Also, my hats off to Ferbian for making a great series. This one, is a tribute and continuation of Rate the Gimmick .

Hulk Hogan: Possibly the greatest star in pro wrestling ever. Despite his massive ego he was the man who ruled over the golden age of wrestling. The hero to kids, a superstar who put on classic matches and could not ever be defeated.

Ultimate Warrior: A classic case of a rising star. People loved him, Vince loved him, management wasn't so hot for him, but still, the people were crazy about Warrior. His weird-ass promos were funny and entertaining. He was the guy who could beat anyone, anytime and ran to the ring like a machine.

This feud was to pass the torch from Hogan to Warrior, both massive egos, but both extremely popular during this time. Rate the Gimmick.

1- HORRIBLE

10- CLASSIC

I'm giving it a negative 5. While these two guys were crazy over, neither one seemed to be able to wrestle a technical match to save their lives. These two are quite possibly the most overrated "wrestlers" in the history of the sport. In fact, I really can't call this a feud seeing as they were both faces. Rivalry more like and it still sucked.

I'm giving it a negative 5. While these two guys were crazy over, neither one seemed to be able to wrestle a technical match to save their lives. These two are quite possibly the most overrated "wrestlers" in the history of the sport. In fact, I really can't call this a feud seeing as they were both faces. Rivalry more like and it still sucked.

I think you're missing the point here. Hogan VS Warrior at Wrestlemania wasn't a bad match, in fact, it was probably Warrior's best match. Hogan VS Warrior was something epic, because Warrior was sooo over back then, and beating Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania back then was extremely rare, especially if you beat him for a world title. This was a feud that featured two huge stars in the WWF. Hogan Vs Warrior should definitely be remembered as a great feud in pro wrestling history.

A stupid part of me wants to Rate it a 10 by your scale. Because no matter what is said by any of the other posters on here. If that "feud" was anything, it was classic. 20 years ago now, Face Vs. Face. HUGE!

But by the definition of feud it was a 1. Because technically it wasn't much of a "feud". They had a brief encounter at The Royal Rumble in 90. That is what opened the door. Then they tagged against I think Mr. Perfect and The Genius. At the conclusion of that match, Warrior was being jumped and Hogan helped him. When Hogan went to Warrior, Warrior thought it was one of the guys attacking him and clotheslined Hogan.

Warrior looked like it was an accident. Then there was another moment or 2 where Warrior almost clotheslined him again. Then they had the match.

So to call it a "feud" doesn't really work for me. A rivalry is more like it. Austin/McMahon, Hogan/Savage, Rock/Austin. Those are feuds!

Even though most people will bash the actual match they had at Wrestlemania. I say considering the 2 that were in the match, were who they were as far as ring ability goes, and it was Face Vs. Face. They did ok. I myself at that time enjoyed the match. And would say it is a classic piece of history. A technical masterpiece it wasn't LOL.

Overall, just because of who the 2 guys were, the time of the "feud" or rivalry, Wrestlemania Main Event AND Title Vs. Title, I will give it a better score than most, I give it an 8.

id give it a 10, cuz this is the feud that got me in to wrestling as a young buck back in the day, i was a huge hogan and warrior fan and they were gonna fight each other , the feud was good cuz it started at royal rumble when they were the only 2 left for a minute or sooo the crowd went nuts, than the lil run in they did for each other to help one another out, but both had beef cuz the other ran into save them, classsic i give it a 10..

If this is already done, please move, and if this is in the wrong section please move. Also, my hats off to Ferbian for making a great series. This one, is a tribute and continuation of Rate the Gimmick .

Hulk Hogan: Possibly the greatest star in pro wrestling ever. Despite his massive ego he was the man who ruled over the golden age of wrestling. The hero to kids, a superstar who put on classic matches and could not ever be defeated.

Ultimate Warrior: A classic case of a rising star. People loved him, Vince loved him, management wasn't so hot for him, but still, the people were crazy about Warrior. His weird-ass promos were funny and entertaining. He was the guy who could beat anyone, anytime and ran to the ring like a machine.

This feud was to pass the torch from Hogan to Warrior, both massive egos, but both extremely popular during this time. Rate the Gimmick.

1- HORRIBLE

10- CLASSIC

First of all, who really cares about the egos? Every walk of life has egos, not trying to get philosophical here but people are people and egos exist EVERYWHERE, and when it comes to something like pro wrestling, let us not act so shocked, these people are entertainers and not humanitarians. It's irrelevant for us to talk about what was going on backstage as opposed to what happened in the ring that night on April 1, 1990. Because after all, we were never there to see any of these backstage antics go down. In my opinion, the best way to look at the "ego this" and "ego that" argument in pro wrestling is for the fan to just leave anything to possibility and to not be so quick to believe everything they hear backstage because again we are not really privvy to what happens and especially during this day and age where there was no such thing as wrestlezone.com and other sites, your average wrestling fan was just concerned about what the in ring product was like, after all this was still an era where breaking character and knowing anything beyond the curtain was just something no one bothered themselves with. Personally, this is an attitude we should all still have about the business, because we'd probably enjoy it more, instead of being concerned about antics that we don't see as they happen.

But anyway I am going to give this a 10, even when looking at how it wasn't a long term deal when Hogan lost to Warrior, since we all know Hogan remained more or less THE star of the company before leaving in 1993-94. Now to evaluate the story itself, let us begin:

Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior had it all, drama, intrigue and a division of the fan base. That made for an excellent conflict in the storyline, and while I would fashion it as more of a rivalry and not a full out feud, it was an excellent match, and I thought it was rather well worked despite the power based styles of both individuals.

I have always felt that Hogan could rise to the occasion and have great matches that were outside of his atomic drop, big boot, suplex, overhand punches and leg drop formula. While there was nothing wrong with that per say (again for all these Hogan haters talk to the masses of people that put up with it for so long, if something works and the fans want it you don't screw with them and take it away), it was nice to see that in the storyline sense that repertoire did not work as well against The Warrior. I mean think of it, for the first time in six years, this was the match where Hulk Hogan unquestionably was defeated. This was a scenario that was over a half decade in the making. As we all know, about a year later we were back to Hogan being the top guy, but it was a great story to see someone finally match up against Hogan without any controversy when speaking in kayfabe. In hindsight it looks like a waste of time to have done this scenario considering that The Warrior did not replace Hogan like many would think, but just the same it is an eternal moment in WWF/E history which no one can take away. Which leads me to addressing the following statement...

There's no need to state something in such a close minded way, if you are not a fan of Hulk Hogan and The Warrior that's fine, but by calling them overrated and putting cute little quotations in front of and at the end of the word "wrestlers" shows how no one should look at anything you just said with any merit. Do you think you could do any better of a job at working a match than they could?

While I can tell you that I myself was not an Ultimate Warrior fan and I will admit that you'll never see Hulk Hogan wrestle a match like a Bret Hart style worker would, to not call either of them wrestlers at least in the most basic form shows that you are just a one track minded and clueless "fan". Hell, I might even go one step and just call you a complete mark. Like I said in my opening statement, both men were over and by questioning that shows you have no real concept of the phrase "majority rules". People responded to the personas first and foremost and everything else second, again if Hogan and Warrior had no ability at all, they never would have made it past the opening bell and they would have been booed out of the building when they started paying their dues in the business.

It's really easy for someone sitting behind a computer desk talking all sorts of nonsense and having the gall to question Warrior and Hogan's place in the world of professional wrestling. In fact that takes a lot of nerve to say something like that and still call yourself a wrestling fan. Even if their styles are or seem limited, I'd like to see someone like you go out there and try to do it. Unless you can step through those ropes and try not only to make sure you don't hurt someone you're in the ring with and also entertain a crowd at the same time, then you might have a better platform to speak on. But until then, I'm reading nothing but the words of some miserable, misguided and irritating troll.

On a side note though, to say that the rivalry/feud or whatever you want to call it sucked, well it obviously didn't hurt Hogan's career any, a year later he was the champion again. If it was that much of a true bomb like you're trying to imply it to be...Hogan wouldn't have found himself back in the title picture, as far as Warrior's case goes though, hey he had the title for 9 months and off and on still had something of a career of course it was nothing compared to his days as a WWF Champion, but to this day people still talk about Hogan-Warrior at WrestleMania VI, so for something that sucked so bad, it seems to still be one of WWF/E's most memorable moments, whether you're liking it or not.

And while I know we are not talking about the rematch, I still think it needs to be mentioned especially with the nature of what your comments were trying to imply about both Hogan and Warrior. Now, I will admit that Hogan-Warrior II in WCW, definitely left something to be desired. But just the same, it says something when two men in their 40s could pull off what Warrior and Hogan did in the ring, even if it fell awfully short of the classic status that Hogan-Warrior I had. I mean most average men in that age bracket, would have a heart attack trying to work a match, even if it's one that we perceive as being of poor quality and not living up to the status of their first meeting.

So yeah, I get it you're probably going to be coming at me by saying this was your opinion, but a true opinion is going to have some weight added to it, and what you said doesn't. You were just using a tired old argument about Hogan and Warrior's abilities as performers, if you want to actually bring up a point and try to contribute to this thread positively then I am challenging you to tell me who you think could have been a better fit in the WWF title picture for WrestleMania VI that year. I'm challenging you to do that, take it as a personal attack if you will, I don't care, but I'd like to hear a true argument from you instead of just a mindless statement. Is that something that you can do, though? I am not sure, but yeah if you'd like, tell me what you thought would have been a better WrestleMania match for that particular event.

I was 10 at the time, so keep that in mind.

At the time, it was a huge deal. First time that I saw the two hugest stars, both faces, square off in the biggest main event of the year. I thought it was smart booking considering that it was in the Skydome. Also, even though there was tons of other talent on the card, the card itself was very, very weak. Sure, DiBiase wrestled Jake, and Macho Man and Dusty were in a mixed tag, but I don't remember anything about either one of those matches. 14 matches on the card, and everybody there went to see 1. When you look at it that way, you could argue Vince didn't even have a choice.

As far as the match itself, well, even as a 10 year old I knew it wouldn't be on the scale of DiBiase vs. Jake, but it really didn't matter. Personally, I was (and always have been) anti-Hogan. I hated Hogan 10x more than most people hate Cena today. Hated that he always won, always cut the same lame promo, hated that he no-sold, everything. And Warrior at the time was by far the most over wrestler in the then-WWF. My attitude going into it was that I wanted ANYBODY to be the champ instead of Hogan, and since it was never going to be guys I wanted to win it (Rude, Dibiase, Roberts, etc.), it might as well be Warrior. And if Hogan won that match, he was never going to lose. Ever. So I was very happy that Warrior won it. And things did change after that....Hogan kept it up for another 12-18 months, but it wasn't the same.

So, in summary, while it wasn't a classic WRESTLING match, it was a classic moment in wrestling history, and very necessary for the company at that time.

Match: D
Feud: F
Wrestlers themselves: D-
Booking: A

SirJoseOle, All I'm going to say about your commentary on what I had to say is that I respect your disagreement and counteropinion but I do NOT respect your delivery. Good day.

Back to the topic at hand: There were just as many great names besides Warrior that could have matched with Hogan, as Travaje said. I personally wouldn't have minded seeing Jake Roberts or Ted DiBiase (either of whom I felt should have been booked to earn a WWF title reign!) in that main event. I really don't believe that Warrior was ready AT THAT TIME for something of that magnitude. I don't question Hogan or Warrior's place in the wrestling world, I question what made them so special that they were booked in there when names just as deserving were passed over.

Hogan & The Warrior are overrated in my view, but the overall feud in and of itself was a classic just because of the sheer scope of it. Hogan & The Warrior, the two top faces in the WWF and the two most popular wrestlers in the world at that time. Both of them were like two living breathing comic book characters brought to life. Not very good comic book characters, but you get the point. It was built up as a clash of titans and that's how it came across.

As for their match, it was honestly a pretty good match overall. It was easily among the best, if not the single best, matches either man has ever had in their careers. The WrestleMania atmosphere, the legend of Hulkamania and the threat the Warrior posed to it. Who was "the most powerful force in the universe"? Even though both wrestlers were horrible in the ring most of the time, everything just clicked right for them at WrestleMania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back