Random thought by Echelon

Bernkastel

Reaper of Miracles
I was at work thinking about this

Popularity of sports

I figure sports today are either regional, semi global, or global. Regional sports are popular only in certain regions, semi global sports are found on several different continents, and global sports can be found anywhere in the world

examples of regional sports are American football, rugby, Australian rules football, volleyball, cycling, and skiing

examples of semi global sports are basketball, tennis, auto racing, boxing, and pro wrestling (yep, counted it as a sport)

examples of global sports would be soccer/ football, golf, swimming and martial arts

Well rugby is more in the Global sport section than regional.

I haven't heard of rugby outside of Europe or maybe Australia, because of that I consider it to be a regional sport. Sports like basketball, auto racing, and Tennis can be found throughout several different continents with many different countries partaking in them. By comparison rugby would have considerably less support if only a few countries in a certain area partake in it wouldn't you think

I think there's a thread similar to this in the sports section actually.

Which thread would that be? I don't see a thread that talks about the popularity of different sports

I didn't think this thread would get that many hits, but If it becomes more popular i'll make a new proper, non spam thread in the sports section tomorrow

I didn't see it, its not on the first page and the thread is a few months old

I'll add to it tomorrow

but feel free to change the direction of this thread if you'd like

Make a new one, if you like as it's a few pages back. This thread just reminded me of that one.

Rugby is a global sport. League is fairly Regional but union is fairly global. The Current World Champs are South Africa. Then there is the Six Nations in Europe. Japan has a Team. The US has a Team. Canada has a Team. Im not saying that the gap between the Top 10 nations and the rest of the world isn't big but It is still played at a global level.

Well rugby is more in the Global sport section than regional.

Not really. It's not as mainstream everywhere as it is in Europe. I would think that Basketball is more of a Global sport, considering that NBA players are now going to Europe to play and that Canada, Australia, Africa, and Argentina have developed NBA level basketball players and are able to field pretty good Olympic basketball teams.

Just because Union isn't played in the US as it is in Europe, Japan and The Southern Hemisphere. Doesn't mean it doesn't fall in the second category.

Baseball is a fairly popular sport, so I would put that as Semi-Global. It's huge in the western hemisphere and Asia, not sure about elsewhere though, but 3 continents puts it up to semi-global.

Soccer/Football is easily the most dominate

I would say Basketball is Global as well.

Luth, doesn't everyone Swim, well accept those Ice Folks I guess.

I fail to see how horse riding and formula 1 are sports at all.

a game of football or soccer is nothing compared to driving a hot racecar for 5 or more hours at 180 mph or more (thats NASCAR, if its formula 1 it'll be more like 230 mph+) I can only image what the Le Mans 24 hour race is like.

Just because Union isn't played in the US as it is in Europe, Japan and The Southern Hemisphere. Doesn't mean it doesn't fall in the second category.

Didn't say it shouldn't be in section 2. Although, Canada is well known for their kick ass teams. lol

What I was, however saying was that Basketball was more on a global scale than semi global.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back