In 10 Years - MMA's Place in American Sports

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
I was listeing to Ryan Rusillo (sp?) on ESPN radio's Scott van Pelt show, and he asserted that he was relatively sure that MMA - specifically the UFC - has already pretty much surpassed Pro Boxing in it's value and importance in American sports. It may take pro boxing a total of 3 years to make their mega card - Mayweather vs Pacquio - actually happen to amount to only a few hundred thousand more buys than two UFC cards each year.

So it made me think - where does MMA rank in American sports culture NOW, and where will it be in TEN YEARS?

I ranked major American sports in the current year as follows:

1. Football (NFL and college)
2. Basketball (NBA and college)
3. Baseball
4. Hockey
5. Golf
6. MMA
7. Soccer
8. Tennis
9. Boxing
10. Other (poker, swimming, wrestling, cycling, etc.)

I think that in 10 years, it will look more like this:

1. Football
2. Basketball
3. MMA
4. Baseball
5. Hockey
6. Golf
7. Soccer
8. Other (poker, swimming, wrestling, cycling, etc.)
9. Tennis
10. Boxing

Boxing, like baseball, is so over-reliant on older "purist" fans, and as they continue to die off (since many of them are 50+ yrs old) and lose financial power and the ability to use disposable income for sports, the younger fans (14-35 current age, increasing buying power) will make MMA a top-3 sport.

I also see Soccer approaching, but not overtaking, Golf for thr #6 spot. Hockey worries me.

So I ask - do you agree or disagree with me? Where will MMA's place be in 10 years, and why?

MMA is growing. And it's growing quickly. It's slowly becoming another house-hold sport. I would say that it's progressing towards where boxing once were. One of the biggest and very popular sports in the world. Ali and Tyson were very world-renown and definitely it's because of the popularity of boxing.

I would say the talent becoming world renown in MMA is slowly showing. Quinton Jackson is incredibly over outside of the business. At least I would assume he is. Being in The A-Team and all that. Getting over when appearing on RAW etc.

And it shows where the sport is going. I don't know how the other sports are in terms of popularity. Well maybe with the exception of football because the ratings drawn for that is absolutely huge.

I do believe highly in the list you make at least for in 10 years. I don't believe that MMA as well as wrestling (others) is that low on the list. Both are still very over. And could probably rank higher.

I don't wanna go into commenting on the other sports. But I will briefly say that due to you being American IC I think you're placing soccer a bit too low. It's after all the primary sport of the European part of the world.

But other than that. Yes I agree with the most of your in 10 years list. I do see MMA being one of the primary sports. Because of the huge rise it is experiencing right now, and will continue to experience for quite a while.

First of all, IC, I think you're really overrating hockey. Listen, man, I know you love the sport, but one good year (which was only because of the Olympics) does not mean people in the states care about it. Hell, the Stanley Cup hardly got any coverage, and it was the Blackhawks first championship win since, what, 1962? I mean, that right there tells me that hockey is not important. Shit, they don't even have a national television deal.

Anyways, to answer the question... within ten years, globally MMA will be humongous, that's for sure. In America, I think it'll be considered the 5th biggest sport. Tiger Woods should still be playing golf in 10 years time (as should Phil Mickelson), so that keeps that sport going (plus there's no telling if another superstar comes in the sport between now and then), and baseball will still be the third biggest sport in the states at that time as well, there's no doubt in my mind about that. Like always, there will be years where people lose interest in it, and there will be years where something comes along that makes people fall back in love with the sport (whether it's a Home Run record chance, Yankees/Red Sox series, the Cubs making a run to the World Series, whatever). Baseball will always be the 2nd or 3rd biggest sport in America.

So, yeah... MMA, I love it and I certainly hope it does grow to become considered one of the most popular sports in the states, but I don't think that's going to happen. It will World wide, for sure, but in America... meh, just can't picture it. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Wow, I have a lot to respond to.

Ferbnutz said:
But I will briefly say that due to you being American IC I think you're placing soccer a bit too low.

I don't think I am at all. Soccer will NEVER be nearlyas big here as it is in Europe. Why? Because it's not an American sport. Americans are very ethnocentric when it comes to their sports. It's like Vince McMahon with wrestlers - if we didn't create it, it won't be that big.

That's also why Hockey won't overtake Football, Basketball, or Baseball. It's a Canadian sport with an overall North American market.

JMT said:
First of all, IC, I think you're really overrating hockey. Listen, man, I know you love the sport, but one good year (which was only because of the Olympics) does not mean people in the states care about it. Hell, the Stanley Cup hardly got any coverage, and it was the Blackhawks first championship win since, what, 1962? I mean, that right there tells me that hockey is not important. Shit, they don't even have a national television deal.

I don't think I am at all. In all fairness, you live in Louisiana, where hockey is almost toally foreign. I live in New Jersey, and the Northeast Atlantic market is HUGE for hockey. The Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Flyers all play relatively close to one another and have massive rivalries. The Bruins and Sabres are constantly top-notch teams in their respective markets. In the mid-west, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado, and many other cities are doing great with hockey. Ad that doesn't even tap in to the Canadian side, which despite not being part of the US, still impact it. You don't think the fans of the Minnesota Wild have peripheral interest in the Oilers and Flames? You don't think the fans in Detroit teast road trips to Toronto?

Incidentally, the MLB all-star game did a really less-than-stellar number.

As for MMA, I think it will become #3 in the US for two main reasons.

1. They market stars better than baseball or hockey. Hockey really struggles here. They have the biggest young stars in a LONG TIME right now, and it just takes them too damn long to get on the marketing train. Baseball is similar. MMA just gets its stars out there, and the Ultimate Fighter show is a brilliant vessel of that marketing.

2. Existance of Diversity. The fastest growing US Markets are Hispanic / Latino, African American, and Asian - in that order. MMA already has a clear presence with all of those cultures, and top-notch fighters representing each one. Hockey has very little influence in the African American or Hispanic cultures, and baseball has seen its popularity among young inner city black youth severely wane as of late.

Nobody will EVER do it better than football, and basketball has gotten HUGE. MMA has a clear shot at #3.

JMT, who do you think will overtake hockey? Golf? Tennis? Swimming?

I don't think I am at all. In all fairness, you live in Louisiana, where hockey is almost toally foreign. I live in New Jersey, and the Northeast Atlantic market is HUGE for hockey.

That's a fair enough point. Let it be known though, we do have a couple ECHL teams down here. Unfortunately, the Kingfish (Baton Rouge's old team) aren't around anymore, and I haven't watched a full hockey game since they went out of business (with the exception of America vs. Canada, of course).

The Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Flyers all play relatively close to one another and have massive rivalries. The Bruins and Sabres are constantly top-notch teams in their respective markets. In the mid-west, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado, and many other cities are doing great with hockey. Ad that doesn't even tap in to the Canadian side, which despite not being part of the US, still impact it. You don't think the fans of the Minnesota Wild have peripheral interest in the Oilers and Flames? You don't think the fans in Detroit teast road trips to Toronto?

I see what you're saying man, but I still don't think it's anywhere near as popular as Golf. Hockey is nowhere near as covered as Golf is, and the fact is... if hockey was really popular, by now it would at least have a television deal. But hockey just hasn't been able to rebound from the lock-out season, and this was their year to do so, but even then... the Stanley Cup was hardly covered. All ESPN was on about was the NBA Finals. Hockey got a small portion of Sportscenter, that's it. Even last year when the Stanley Cup went 7 games and the NBA Finals was a bust, hockey wasn't covered much by ESPN.

Incidentally, the MLB all-star game did a really less-than-stellar number.

All All-Star games suck and do bad numbers for the most part.

Baseball will get great numbers come playoff time though if there are good match-ups, especially if we somehow get Red Sox/Yankees again.

As for MMA, I think it will become #3 in the US for two main reasons.

1. They market stars better than baseball or hockey. Hockey really struggles here. They have the biggest young stars in a LONG TIME right now, and it just takes them too damn long to get on the marketing train. Baseball is similar. MMA just gets its stars out there, and the Ultimate Fighter show is a brilliant vessel of that marketing.

2. Existance of Diversity. The fastest growing US Markets are Hispanic / Latino, African American, and Asian - in that order. MMA already has a clear presence with all of those cultures, and top-notch fighters representing each one. Hockey has very little influence in the African American or Hispanic cultures, and baseball has seen its popularity among young inner city black youth severely wane as of late.

Nobody will EVER do it better than football, and basketball has gotten HUGE. MMA has a clear shot at #3.

All fair enough, and I certainly hope you turn out to be correct, man.

JMT, who do you think will overtake hockey? Golf? Tennis? Swimming?

Golf already overtakes Hockey, man. But I'll still give hockey the edge over Tennis and Swimming (though I much prefer tennis to hockey). However, NASCAR, while I believe it's the shittest, most pointless "sport" on the planet, I still feel right now is more popular than Hockey. Shit the ESPYs last night nominated Jimmie Johnson over the Blackhawks guy who won the Stanley Cup MVP and who led Canada to the gold (his name slips my mind right now) for the Best Athlete Category. It shows how much people are really paying attention to the sport for that dude to get so overlooked.

I see what you're saying man, but I still don't think it's anywhere near as popular as Golf.

Golf's biggest star just became golf's biggest villain. And he's struggled to rebound. You don't think that will have an effect on the next 10 years?

Hockey is nowhere near as covered as Golf is, and the fact is... if hockey was really popular, by now it would at least have a television deal.

Great point, except that golf is only played Thursday - Sunday, and only gets major network coverage Saturday and Sunday when so little else is on. Furthermore, NBC picks hockey up later in the season and for the playoffs, and up-and-coming Versus grabs the rest of the season. I wish ESPN would get back on the hockey bandwagon, but still.

All All-Star games suck and do bad numbers for the most part.

Even Jayson Stark stated that this year's MLB ASG was well below target.

Golf already overtakes Hockey, man. But I'll still give hockey the edge over Tennis and Swimming (though I much prefer tennis to hockey). However, NASCAR, while I believe it's the shittest, most pointless "sport" on the planet, I still feel right now is more popular than Hockey

Again, I think we're making our own regional arguments here. Most people in NJ and the metro area of NY don't give a shit about NASCAR.

Shit the ESPYs last night nominated Jimmie Johnson over the Blackhawks guy who won the Stanley Cup MVP and who led Canada to the gold (his name slips my mind right now) for the Best Athlete Category. It shows how much people are really paying attention to the sport for that dude to get so overlooked.

And on the radio this morning, there was a great deal of backlash on some of the shows for it.

I'm taking a straw poll on moving this thread to the sports section.

Golf's biggest star just became golf's biggest villain. And he's struggled to rebound. You don't think that will have an effect on the next 10 years?

Great point, except that golf is only played Thursday - Sunday, and only gets major network coverage Saturday and Sunday when so little else is on. Furthermore, NBC picks hockey up later in the season and for the playoffs, and up-and-coming Versus grabs the rest of the season. I wish ESPN would get back on the hockey bandwagon, but still.

Again, I think we're making our own regional arguments here. Most people in NJ and the metro area of NY don't give a shit about NASCAR.

I'd like to chime in on a few things that I feel that many of you have overlooked. Before I get going, let me first say, that I hope that you're right IrishCanadian, but I need to address these arguments from a logical direction. So, just because I'm about to say what I'm about to say, doesn't mean I want you to be wrong, or that I don't want to see MMA flourish.

First off, Golf is an international sport but the interest in golf will never wane. Many of my friends, young and old, AND I'M IN A NASCAR MARKET, LOVE golf. They watch every event. They golf every tuesday and thursday. Also, I can't believe you said it' ONLY played Thursday-Sunday. That's four days out of the week, dude. There's only three left. UFC only happens on Saturday. That's one day. Additionally, Golf appeals to a bigger age bracket than MMA ever will. I mean, young to old, people love golf. In ten years, 50 year olds that don't watch MMA now, will be 60, and still won't watch MMA. They will, however, be retired and playing golf. Now, if you had said when our generation reaches retirement age, will we still be watching MMA, for sure, but this argument was for ten years in the future.

Also, as far as the NASCAR argument, you mentioned ethnocentrism earlier. In a more microcosmic sense, comparing New Jersey's love for NASCAR with the rest of the nations and using that as your argument is, technically, being ethnocentric. About the ONLY major markets NASCAR doesn't have is New York and Chicago. The entire south worships NASCAR, the Southwest lives for it as well. Californians love NASCAR. Sponsors love NASCAR. NASCAR has more TV deals right now than MMA could possibly dream of. As stupid as the "sport" is, it's fucking huge and MMA would need some miracle spike to beat it in the next ten years. NY/NJ are the only areas that don't give a shit about NASCAR. Even Indiana cares about NASCAR, brother man.

Also, MMA has regional problems. Why aren't fighters getting pushes, because they can't relate to the fans, they speak in barely broken English or through translators. Eventually you have to stop doing TUF in English speaking countries if you want to validate the "international" talent pool you're suggesting exists. Here's your problem, the average citizen won't watch a translated or subtitled TUF. There's an expansive pool of Middle Eastern fighters but people won't support that because of their politics. You can't host a TUF in Brazil because it's too dangerous down there right now. I would say you could do a European TUF but didn't they do that already? Team UK wasn't ONLY just UK. I guess you could expand to areas like New Zealand and Australia but at a certain point, people are going to get bored of the same old English speaking talent pool. I won't lie, I'm already bored with how they're doing TUF. There's amazing fighters in corners of the world that don't speak English who could benefit from TUF but we can't do those countries because most people won't watch.

Also, you can't rely on the hope that these fighters will start learning English because that's ethnocentric as well. They shouldn't have to learn English. I was upset that Machida did just to get his push. His record alone should have gotten him his title shot. If the people can't understand the fighters, they aren't going to root for them, they aren't going to buy their PPV. I'm not talking about the diehard fans, as we make up the minority, it's the casual fan that gives the ratings for TUF and puts asses in the seats of PPV's. The diehard fan is the minority. Despite the fact that MMA is on the rise, it won't overtake a national pastime like MLB. The game has been an American staple for over a hundred years. Purists are going to watch it, networks are going to swoop it up, and children will beg to play it. At the end of the day, MMA is too violent for parents to want it on network TV more than a couple times a year. I mean shit, even the IFL was on the worst network ever. Plus, with antics like that of Cesar Gracie's camp ON LIVE TV, coupled with the fact that even when they're on cable fighters can't seem to not swear and be foul mouthed, it's not gonna happen.

You'd have to completely change the culture of the sport before it becomes as adopted as MLB, NFL, NBA, Golf, or NASCAR. I think it has the ability to overtake hockey, but it won't climb any higher than 6, which, honestly, is where I think it's at right now anyhow.

Oh so help me, I LOVE fresh meat. Especially fresh meat who clearly has a good handle on what he's talking about. Welcome to the party!

ITGG said:
Golf is an international sport but the interest in golf will never wane. Many of my friends, young and old, AND I'M IN A NASCAR MARKET, LOVE golf. They watch every event. They golf every tuesday and thursday...Additionally, Golf appeals to a bigger age bracket than MMA ever will. I mean, young to old, people love golf. In ten years, 50 year olds that don't watch MMA now, will be 60, and still won't watch MMA. They will, however, be retired and playing golf. Now, if you had said when our generation reaches retirement age, will we still be watching MMA, for sure, but this argument was for ten years in the future.

And I love golf. And I golf.

That's a big reason why golf is going to continue to be a major part of the US culture - people can participate in it recreationally. It's a major part of business as well as leisure. You don't need to be the best in the world at golf to enjoy it. My wife got me into golf 3 years ago and it's something she and I will continue to do together someday when we are grandparents.

But here's a major factor you may have overlooked yourself - socioeconomic impact. You make a very clear and accurate point that golf appeals to a wider age range than MMA does, but you neglect to state the socioeconomic disparity in golf. Golf is a predominantly upper-middle to upper-class sport. It's expensive. MMA appeals far greater to the working class and the middle class - which is a much larger part of the American economy - while also touching a lot of the upper-middle class the way boxing once did.

Also, I can't believe you said it' ONLY played Thursday-Sunday. That's four days out of the week, dude. There's only three left.

Yep, for how many months out of the year? Golf, much like the other major sports, also has an offseason. Incidentally, baseball, basketball, and hockey have games every night, and in baseball, every team plays nearly every day.

UFC only happens on Saturday. That's one day.

And the NFL - the biggest sport in the USA - is only on Sundays for the most part.

The argument for how often a sport is played was in response to the amount of coverage it receives. My point is that it is easier to cover golf when it is played for just a hair over half the week - and especially since few casual fans really care until Saturday and Sunday anyway - and on the weekends when there is less competition on the TV.

The entire south worships NASCAR, the Southwest lives for it as well. Californians love NASCAR. Sponsors love NASCAR. NASCAR has more TV deals right now than MMA could possibly dream of. As stupid as the "sport" is, it's fucking huge and MMA would need some miracle spike to beat it in the next ten years.

This is a great point, and I can totally see how my NJ/NY Metro bias forced me to keep NASCAR off the list. Even still, I don't feel it's part of the fabric of American culture. Perhaps I am wrong. I would gladly adjust my list to include NASCAR. I can't deny you that.

Why aren't fighters getting pushes, because they can't relate to the fans, they speak in barely broken English or through translators.

Now this you should have left out, because it's just silly.

MMA fighters don't get "pushes." This isn't pro wrestling. Fighters earn shots at titles. A few top fighters - guys like Cain Velasquez and Mauricio Rua - aren't exactly English majors. Yoshihiro Akiyama, who just lost an amazing bout to Chris Leben, needs a translator, no?

Eventually you have to stop doing TUF in English speaking countries if you want to validate the "international" talent pool you're suggesting exists. Here's your problem, the average citizen won't watch a translated or subtitled TUF. There's an expansive pool of Middle Eastern fighters but people won't support that because of their politics. You can't host a TUF in Brazil because it's too dangerous down there right now. I would say you could do a European TUF but didn't they do that already? Team UK wasn't ONLY just UK. I guess you could expand to areas like New Zealand and Australia but at a certain point, people are going to get bored of the same old English speaking talent pool. I won't lie, I'm already bored with how they're doing TUF. There's amazing fighters in corners of the world that don't speak English who could benefit from TUF but we can't do those countries because most people won't watch.

Now you're off topic. I'm not arguing internation sporting success - if I were, I'd have soccer #1. This is about the USA, and right now, the USA seems to be nuts about MMA.

You'd have to completely change the culture of the sport before it becomes as adopted as MLB, NFL, NBA, Golf, or NASCAR. I think it has the ability to overtake hockey, but it won't climb any higher than 6, which, honestly, is where I think it's at right now anyhow.

I think it'll overtake golf and hockey. And yes, I think - and I feel strongly - that hockey is above golf, though not by much.

I don't think I am at all. Soccer will NEVER be nearlyas big here as it is in Europe. Why? Because it's not an American sport. Americans are very ethnocentric when it comes to their sports. It's like Vince McMahon with wrestlers - if we didn't create it, it won't be that big.

I think I've misunderstood that during the time I wrote it. Yes soccer will never take a big position in the American society. I was thinking more in the direction of all around the world.

I still think it's a shame though. Soccer has potential to be great in America as well. It's not really that bad. But I could assume that there's need for action. There's need for constant excitement in a sport for it to truly draw people to it. The World Cup always draws big amount of people. But in the end. It's still a ball being shot back and forth.

And that is kinda something that turned me off it as well. Because I got tired of watching goalless matches as well as draws. Of course the draw all depends on whether it's a 1-1 draw. Or a 4-4.

That's also why Hockey won't overtake Football, Basketball, or Baseball. It's a Canadian sport with an overall North American market.

I've never seen the appeal to Hockey myself. But I guess it's really something I truly need to be exposed to before I can properly comment on it. It's the same reason why I've never had an interest in any of the other sports. With the exception of wrestling, soccer and boxing.

PS. Ferbnutz? Seriously ? :lmao:

Oh so help me, I LOVE fresh meat. Especially fresh meat who clearly has a good handle on what he's talking about. Welcome to the party!

That's a big reason why golf is going to continue to be a major part of the US culture - people can participate in it recreationally. It's a major part of business as well as leisure. You don't need to be the best in the world at golf to enjoy it. My wife got me into golf 3 years ago and it's something she and I will continue to do together someday when we are grandparents.

But here's a major factor you may have overlooked yourself - socioeconomic impact. You make a very clear and accurate point that golf appeals to a wider age range than MMA does, but you neglect to state the socioeconomic disparity in golf. Golf is a predominantly upper-middle to upper-class sport. It's expensive. MMA appeals far greater to the working class and the middle class - which is a much larger part of the American economy - while also touching a lot of the upper-middle class the way boxing once did.

Yep, for how many months out of the year? Golf, much like the other major sports, also has an offseason. Incidentally, baseball, basketball, and hockey have games every night, and in baseball, every team plays nearly every day.

And the NFL - the biggest sport in the USA - is only on Sundays for the most part.

The argument for how often a sport is played was in response to the amount of coverage it receives. My point is that it is easier to cover golf when it is played for just a hair over half the week - and especially since few casual fans really care until Saturday and Sunday anyway - and on the weekends when there is less competition on the TV.

This is a great point, and I can totally see how my NJ/NY Metro bias forced me to keep NASCAR off the list. Even still, I don't feel it's part of the fabric of American culture. Perhaps I am wrong. I would gladly adjust my list to include NASCAR. I can't deny you that.

MMA fighters don't get "pushes." This isn't pro wrestling. Fighters earn shots at titles. A few top fighters - guys like Cain Velasquez and Mauricio Rua - aren't exactly English majors. Yoshihiro Akiyama, who just lost an amazing bout to Chris Leben, needs a translator, no?

I think it'll overtake golf and hockey. And yes, I think - and I feel strongly - that hockey is above golf, though not by much.

SES may have play a major factor in whether or not people PLAY golf, but not whether or not they watch it. Also, to add to that, unless you're playing at ridiculously expensive courses, the cost of learning to be an MMA artist far outweighs the cost of learning to golf. The courses around here, which aren't exclusive, only cost $35 for an entire round. Lessons in JUST BJJ are $200/mos. Now, don't forget to throw in your Muay Thai, Wrestling, Boxing, and Judo lessons, and you've got a pretty fucking expensive sport. As some who trains in the sport, I can tell you it's NOT cheap. I've spent more on BJJ lessons than I have on alcohol, and I drink A LOT.

The NFL also has 30 different teams that play on every Sunday (I excluded they BYE's) that affect 30 different markets and an assload of well established rivalries. The implications of an NFL game are felt immediately. The implications of a loss in the UFC won't, necessarily, be seen for a couple months. Additionally, the NFL plays EVERY Sunday when they are in season. UFC fights only happen, on average, every 3 weeks. Plus, not every UFC is worth ordering. I don't have to order the NFL. Sure, I could order NFL Network, but that pays for the whole year. Not just one event. Here, too, SES, as you mentioned plays against the UFC.

Go to the Charlotte, NC and see if you get out of there without someone shoving a conversation about a race that just happened up your ass. It won't happen. For that matter, any city in the south, south west, or CA. NASCAR is here, as much as EVERYONE on this thread probably hates it, we have to accept that it's here and IS NOT going anywhere. It's only getting bigger.

Fighters DO get pushes. Not in the same vein as McMahon pushes his superstars, but they get pushes. I'll give 2 examples, if you'd like. Before Machida knocked out Thiago Silva, I couldn't count the number of people who called him the most boring fighter on the planet, would never order his PPV's, didn't want to see him fight, etc, etc, etc...AS SOON as that KO happened all of a sudden, I saw people swinging from his testicles like I'd never seen before. Nevermind his amazing KO of Rich Franklin, or the fact that he split Bonnar open wider than the grand canyon before his stint in the UFC, all they knew was the UFC Machida. Oh, coincidentally enough, after the fight he said, IN ENGLISH, "you guys want title shot?" and the crowd fucking roared. Couple his english, with the fact that he just knocked out a guy who'd been knocking people out and all of a sudden, they pushed the HELL out of Machida. They'd BEEN avoiding giving him a shot, despite his record. Did you know, that if Machida had beaten Rua for the second time, that he would have tied Silva's record of 9 straight wins in the Octagon?

Second example is Rashad Evans, he too was considered a VERY boring fighter. He KO's Lambert, then he head kicks Salmon. Now we go back to "boring" Rashad. THEN the Chuck KO, now all of a sudden they are marketing him as an explosive KO artist. If you don't think the UFC pushes their fighters, you should watch a Countdown on Spike or two. They sell you shit covered in mustard and call it an Abba Zabba and you and I buy it.

Also, brother, you mentioned TUF being part of their growth, that's why I brought up TUF. What I am getting at is this, it doesn't matter what the reality show is, if you don't change up, people will lose interest. I don't care if fighting is involved or not. People who LOVED the Real World eventually stopped giving a fuck because it became the same shit in a different city. To be honest, most die-hard MMA fans I know, don't watch TUF anymore. If anything, they do what I do, I record it, skip everything but the fight, watch the fight, see the winner, delete it and move on. The show doesn't focus on ANYTHING worthwhile. If you don't change up your reality show, people will stop caring at the end of the day. All reality shows, regardless of content, fall into this situation. That's what I meant by tapping international markets. It was to spice up the show and keep it interesting. People still watching Real World: Paris even though they were all fucking Americans, haha. No idea why, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back