Random question about the US Title

Why doesn't it count for the Grand Slam or Triple Crown championships?

Christian apparently counts for Grand Slam now, since winning the World Heavyweight title, which despite looking like the beautiful Big Gold Belt, and has only been active since 2002, is an acceptable substitute for the WWE title.

The same applies to the WWE tag belts created in '02, which have since been unified again. You can use those instead of the original World Tag Team championship.

But the United States title can't be used in place of the Intercontinental one as the 'secondary' title, or even as the 'tertiary' title in place of Euro/Hardcore, which means if you haven't already won one of those titles before they were retired, you cannot join the hallowed ranks of the Grand Slam champion.

For example: CM Punk is a Triple Crown champion because he has held the IC title, but the Miz isn't because even though the US is loosely treated as the opposite brand's equivalent of the IC title, it doesn't count towards the Triple Crown or Grand Slam title (according to Wikipedia, which is apparently according to WWE's official records).

My question is simply, why? Is it because this is the only one that is still effectively a WCW belt?

I know this is unimportant to people who aren't accolades nerds but the area interests me and it just strikes me as a bit odd.

I feel like the terms Triple Crown or Grandslam Champion haven't been used on tv in years. It was a big deal before WCW went under but then when the 2 merged and there were like 9 or 10 titles floating around the WWE it lost it's importance. I'm glad they dropped half of them but since they have they should start recognizing the guys who have held 3 of the 5 or 4 of the 5 current titles. They should also make a bigger deal about it when someone has held the WWE & World title.

I think it should count, as the US title is the equivalent of the IC title. Seems a bit odd to me that they dont...is it because its a WCW creation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back