• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question For Believers, Hypothetically Speaking Of Course

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
Let's say we lived in a universe where everything was explained. Any question about the universe could be answered. We had found ways to cure all diseases. We never hurt or wanted for anything. All things were as close to a utopia as possible.

With this information... here are my questions:

1. Would you still feel the need for God?

2. Would you feel that God, if God existed, was a God without a purpose?

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Yes I as a Christian would still seek to maintain a daily devotion to God. Even if we had the answers to every question at our disposal and the technology to heal anything, where do you think that knowledge came from? A higher power had the chance to give that knowledge or not, if humans in this scenario were not meant to have it then it would not be given. Christians would still spread the word of their faith, that God gave the world all it ever wanted, as it was part of His plan for the world. Thus, even in this scenario we would still need God. I would not feel that there was no purpose for a higher power because that is where all of the knowledge and blessings came from in the first place. He has the power to give them or take them away at any moment. That's just the way I see it.

Interesting question. I think that you cannot achieve utopia or anything close to it without God's intervention. Human beings are much too flawed to achieve utopia by themselves. So firstly, I would be thankful to God for helping us achieve Utopia.

Secondly, God would not be without a purpose. His purpose would be to maintain this state of Utopia. Utopia is exactly that, I believe: a state of existence, a perfect state. It can be achieved by the society, though chances are rare, but you can also fall down from that state and only divine intervention could stop that from happening.

Also I feel that the moment you stop believing in God, you fall down from that state of Utopia. I believe that religion is actually more important than what people feel. A select few can govern themselves without having the need to believe in some religion but I think that most people would descend into a state of lawlessness once they believe that there is no God. That would basically imply that there are no morals and a person can do whatever they wish to, moral or immoral deeds. That would, as a result, signal the end of Utopia.

The thing is, no matter what scientific discoveries are made, or how much progress is made in answering all the 'unanswerable' questions, people can still bring it back to God. Every single discovery can be known to be the work of God. 'Oh that's how the Universe came about? Well God made that happen..that particle existed because of God...God decided it was time to discover this.' There will always be a 'need' for a God by some people, and he will always be the 'reason', regardless of what else we know.

Like any presented utopia, there's always a god-like being responsible for the piece. So it shouldn't be hard to picture a near perfect world where He is still remembered. There is always work to be done to maintain said peace. Whether it's just leading or helping out with every day activities, there is always something to be done as with any guiding figure, their presence alone always represent's hope or continued life. Think of him as Papa Smurf and you're the Smurfs.

Wasn't this, according to the Bible, what the Garden of Eden was intended to be like? Man walking in fellowship with God every single day? I imagine that in doing so, any questions Adam and Eve may have had were answered. But having ones questions answered isn't the same as having a relationship with said God.

Acording to the Bible, God's desire with man was to have relationship and fellowship with man. The Garden of Eden was supposedly that place where the things you described existed. No disease, no ailments, no want for anything. But still, until Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, they walked daily with God. Why? Fellowship. The "ultimate" companionship. And that's what believers believe heaven will be like. A place of no more sickness, no more pain. A place for community with like-minded people, and a loving God. Why wouldn't a believer, even if they understood the mysteries of the world, want this? I can't think of a reason.

But if that scenario, the "heaven on earth", in essence, came to be, the need and desire for God would still be there. Why? Because a believer in God would trace all of these things back to God. So ultimately, it would be because of God there would be no sickness and disease and the like. And further, that belief in God leads to the fellowship and closeness with a higher power that those that believe in God seek, so I don't see how that aspect would change, to be honest.

Your question is not too valid because you base the idea of faith on the need to believe in a god. I once asked a bunch of christians, "if there was no heaven or hell, no punishment or reward for anything, but Jesus and God still existed, would you still be a christian?" i was surprised by the number of no's. i believe in God, because i know he exists. everything else doesnt matter. any situation, would not change that. you cannot disprove him, and whether or not there was a "need" for one, would not change whether or not he exists.

your second question, i also have a different answer. humans are the only beings on this planet who put reason to things. what is the meaning of human existence? maybe there isnt one. Is this God devoid of purpose? who says there has to be one?

Your question is not too valid because you base the idea of faith on the need to believe in a god. I once asked a bunch of christians, "if there was no heaven or hell, no punishment or reward for anything, but Jesus and God still existed, would you still be a christian?" i was surprised by the number of no's. i believe in God, because i know he exists. everything else doesnt matter. any situation, would not change that. you cannot disprove him, and whether or not there was a "need" for one, would not change whether or not he exists.

your second question, i also have a different answer. humans are the only beings on this planet who put reason to things. what is the meaning of human existence? maybe there isnt one. Is this God devoid of purpose? who says there has to be one?

I wasn't really basing my questions on anything, to be truthful. I was just asking whether or not people would feel the need for God if everything was perfect. It might possibly imply that some people believe in God out of fear of an imperfect world. However, that assumption/implication is valid as many have admitted as much.

Still, I wasn't trying to imply anything. Just asking questions.

I certainly didn't say God needed a purpose. I was simply asking for feedback. That being said, it seems at least partially logical to assume that if believers belief God created the world, he has a purpose. However, I was asking if a perfect world might change their current perspectives.

Perhaps some would feel he was needed in the beginning and not now. I don't know as I'm not these people.

Just questions. Regardless, I'm happy to apply reason to things as I'm happy that I'm separate from other species. I should use the brain I was "blessed" with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back