Puro fans, UNITE!

Ah so it was over Okada? I didn't think he was anything special when he was in TNA, but of course those circumstances weren't favourable :lmao: he is truly amazing now, one of my favourites, a fine world champion!

I can't remember where but I read Mutoh was confirmed for WK so I thought by association he could get Styles in... a man can dream can't he? And it would be a great place to end his world tour before heading back to Genesis around January.

So for some reason NJPW decided to hold a poll with their fans to determine what will be the main event for Wrestle Kingdom... Tanahashi vs Nakamura for the Intercontinental title. Or Okada vs Naito for the IWGP Heavyweight title. And guess what, the first match won the poll in a landslide!

So now we're going to have a midcard belt main event over the main title!? That is very unfortunate IMO as it overshadows Okada and Naito who should billed as the two best in the company, even if they aren't as big of names. Wouldn't you agree? This reminds me of Punk when he was in the midcard with the WWE title while Cena's feuds would main event.

Where the puro heads at? One week till New Beginning Hiroshima. While I'm not exactly down on the state of affairs in American wrestling, now just seems like a good time for a fan like me to branch out. Especially after G1 knocked off my proverbial socks. The card looks good. Certainly I'm not the only one looking forward to this...

Osaka has the better card, but Hiroshima will be fun too. Tanahashi is such a proven draw that he alone can headline as a singles main event with no problem. Really looking forward to this one and the Bullet Club v. Killer Elite Squad for the IWGP Tag Team Championship.

Prince Devitt being used in such a lame way makes me think he'll not really be there for much more time. I was thinking that him and Nakamura could get into some great bouts this year, but it's unlikely. Well I'm happy that Taguchi has returned to feud with his former partner, but right now, Devitt is world's apart as far as overness and credibility goes. They could at least give him his rematch instead of giving it to El Desperado, who sucks by the way (I just don't like him).

However I don't think nothing will top the Okada vs. Goto world championship bout. They have had some matches in the past, all good matches but this one, with the story involved and with the people being so pro-Goto after his performances against Shibata, I think it can top all of them. Also The Young Bucks v. Time Splitters will be yet another proof that the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Champions are probably the best duo as far as in-ring working goes in the world.

P.S - John Cena you will not stop Michael Tarver now!! (that was a joke yey).

THE ROAD TO THE NEW BEGINNING '14
Tokyo - Japan - February 2, 2014

[YOUTUBE]mKKSgH2tyMY[/YOUTUBE]

I've found the full show online just by googling it. It's a "Road To" event, so it's made out of tag matches to further hype up the iPPV events in Hiroshima and Osaka. Believe it or not, this is actually a quite fun show with good spots.

RESULTS

Tag Team Match
Suzuki-gun (Taichi & TAKA Michinoku) defeated Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu.

6 Man Tag Team Match
BUSHI, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV defeated CHAOS (Jado, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI).

Tag Team Match
Captain New Japan & Tomoaki Honma defeated CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano) via DQ.

6 Man Tag Team Match
El Desperado & TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) defeated Kota Ibushi, Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata.

6 Man Tag Team Match
Suzuki-gun (Davey Boy Smith Jr, Lance Archer & Minoru Suzuki) defeated BULLET CLUB (Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga).

8 Man Tag Team Match
BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale, Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson) defeated Ryusuke Taguchi, Togi Makabe & Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA).

6 Man Tag Team Match
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii) defeated Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito.

Some highlights here is the fact that Devitt now owns a pinfall victory over Taguchi, who should have been his rival at Wrestle Kingdom instead of Ibushi. Ishii pinned Naito and the NEVER Open Hvt Championship should change hands at New Beggining.

The crowd was really into the main event match and cheered a lot for Ishii victory over his rival Naito. I think the title will most likely change hands at New Beggining - Ishii has been fantastic and the crowd sees him as the underdog and the guy that deserves more than being an enhancement talent.

Fukushima - Japan - February 3, 2014
I did not see the show, here is the results:

(1) El Desperado & Sho Tanaka vs. BUSHI & Yohei Komatsu
◆Winner: Desperado (8:51) with the Guitarra de Angel on Komatsu.

(2) Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Tiger Mask IV & Captain New Japan
◆Winner: Nagata (9:42) with the Backdrop Hold on Captain.

(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
◆Winner: Kojima (12:17) following a Lariat on Jado.

(4) Minoru Suzuki & Taichi vs. Toru Yano & Gedo
◆Winner: Suzuki (11:53) following the Gotch style Piledriver on Gedo.

(5) Togi Makabe, Ryusuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
◆Winner: Makabe (7:44) following the King Kong Knee Drop on Nick Jackson.

(6) Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr. & TAKA Michinoku vs. “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga
◆Winner: Anderson (7:44) following the Magic Killer on TAKA.

(7) Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & Yujiro Takahashi
◆Winner: Goto (21:01) following the Shouten Kai on Yujiro.

Ibaraki - Japan - February 4, 2014
I did not see the show, here is the results:
(1) El Desperado & Yohei Komatsu vs. BUSHI & Sho Tanaka
◆Winner: Desperado (9:26) following the Guitarra de Angel on Tanaka.

(2) Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Tiger Mask IV & Tomoaki Honma
◆Winner: Nagata (10:32) with the Backdrop Hold on Honma.

(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & Gedo
◆Winner: Kojima (11:21) following the Lariat to Gedo.

(4) Minoru Suzuki & TAKA Michinoku vs. Toru Yano & Jado
◆Winner: Yano (9:14) with the Akakiri on TAKA.

(5) Togi Makabe, Ryusuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
◆Winner: KUSHIDA (10:20) with a Crucifix Hold on Matt Jackson.

(6) Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Taichi vs. “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga
◆Winner: Anderson (7:38) following the Magic Killer on Taichi.

(7) Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Captain New Japan vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI
◆Winner: Goto (18:19) following the Shouten Kai on HASHI.

I finally got some time to watch the Hiroshima show, or at least the only things that interested me, which was the two main event matches:

1011243_730402303644180_1408457037_n.jpg

IWGP World Tag Team Championship Match
The Bullet Club (c) (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) vs. K.E.S (Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer)

The crowd was pretty dead for this match and it was supposed to be the second mainly headliner. Archer is over with the fans, maybe because of his looks more than anything. It was obvious from the start that The Bullet Club was going to retain here, specially after K.E.S. started distributing Killer Bombs on everyone instead of going to the pin. Doc Gallows isn't any where near as talented as most people assume he is. It was a solid match for what it was, but there's nothing of note in here to be remembered in a week or so.

Rating: ***

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

Before the match there was this video, that I'm pretty sure it was very cool if I could understand more than 10 words in Japanese. It looked like they were building this match as a ten year in the making and wrapping up which seems to be a hero vs. #1 nemesis - it was cool seeing those guys way younger.

The match could have been a classic if it wasn't for the botched spots. It really could, because this match had a great pace and a great crowd really into it. The knees to the head looked brutal and Tanahashi crossbody from the top rope into the floor looked great. I feel that there is so much more you can do with those two, but sadly I believe that this will be the end of this rivalry for the time being. Nakamura will probably be involved in a big storyline and I say this, because he's been in the mid-to-uppercard for sometime now and he's a big name in Japan. Probably #3 right after Tanahashi and Okada.

Rating: ****

This show was fine for what it was, but this is more of a good business decision than one for "better product". Two New Beginning shows, means double the money... For those interested in this first day we've also had all the contenders for the World Hvt. Championship, Jr. Hvt. Championship and NEVER Openweight Championship beating the respective champions in tag team action - and when I say beat them, I mean pinning their partners.

As for the NWA vs. NJPW storyline that has been going for a while, Kojima successfully defended the NWA World Title against a guy names Yum Yum or whatever... The funny thing here is that Michael Tarver beat his tag team partner earlier in the night, only to attack Kojima later and being now the next #1 contender for the NWA World Title... That's right Cena! YOU CAN'T STOP TARVERMINATION!!

I'm not really go into a lot of details here but that Ishii vs. Naito was at least a **** 1/2 star match. Great pace, great crowd and great story. I'm glad I was right as Ishii is now the NEVER Openweight Champion. He's probably my favorite Japanese wrestler, I just love the fact that he keeps coming whenever you think he's down. Great underdog story told inside the ring.

Agreed, it was certainly the best match of the two nights. It's the first time I've seen real star quality in Naito. It's clear management like the guy a lot and have pushed him hard but he really delivered here, changing styles, all of his big moves looked top rate and he has incredible near-falls. Ishii was amazing too and I loved how he didn't really celebrate, just took the belt and walked, very good character work.

Agreed, it was certainly the best match of the two nights. It's the first time I've seen real star quality in Naito. It's clear management like the guy a lot and have pushed him hard but he really delivered here, changing styles, all of his big moves looked top rate and he has incredible near-falls. Ishii was amazing too and I loved how he didn't really celebrate, just took the belt and walked, very good character work.

The thing is - Naito is just Tanahashi, but in a lite version. There's nothing that sets him apart, not even his mannerisms. What we saw yesterday was a different Naito in some moments, specially in the brawl - but essentially he's still a copy of their main guy. Look at superstars that are over with the crowd and are stirring the pot: Okada, Goto, Shibata, Kojima, Okada, Ishii, Nakamura, Devitt... Those are the main guys there and they are all very different from Tanahashi, with Nakamura being Tanahashi's perfect "dark side".

I think Naito really needs to find something to make him apart. Make him go heel and feud with Tanahashi, that for sure will be a great way to give his character a little twist. It was such a wrong decision to give Naito the G1 victory...

#NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING NEWS
FUTURE SHOWS FOR MARCH AND APRIL! FORMER WWE STARS ADVERTISED!

New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced details on their March tour that will include the "Raising an Army" Anniversary show on March 6 and the New Japan Cup running the second-half of March.

The March shows will build to a big show on April 6 featuring the winner of the New Japan Cup receiving an IWGP World Title or Intercontinental Title shot.

Announced for the New Japan Cup, which runs March 15-23, are former WWE stars Shelton Benjamin, Lance Archer, and Davey Boy Smith, Jr. Plus, Bullet Club members Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson, and Doc Gallows.

The winners of the opening round matches on March 15 advance to the quarterfinals on March 22. The semi-finals and finals will then be held on March 23.

Via: PWTorch

Looks pretty cut and dried to go that way, they do occasionally spring a surprise semi-finalist (last year had Smith Jr and Yano). They're drawing out the Goto - Shibata thing in their little directorial asides in ring entrances so I'm calling that for the final with Shibata getting the win and a match v Okada. I think I read that the loser challenges for the other main belt so Goto v Tanahashi should be cool for the IC.

Any UK fans will/should be as thrilled as I am to hear that Shinsuke Nakamura is appearing Revolution Pro Wrestling in London on June 15th. The man is a complete and utter legend already and hopefully he's got another decade in him at the top level.

Kensuke Sasaki announced his retirement yesterday following his anniversary match against his student Nakajima. Its kinda sad to see another Japanese legend retire, but Sasaki has had a long successful career and had been plagued with quite a few injuries the pas couple of years so its probably for the better that he's retiring.

It really is! Sasaki was a big name at not that long ago in New Japan. He's also known by some of the american audience for his stint in WCW. I know he has some kind of record in Japan by holding the major titles from the three major promotions... His farewell against Nakajima is a big rub for the young man. Unfortunately I don't see Nakajima going to NJPW, I would like that because he could be a good asset there, specially as the guy that "retired" Sasaki, but I highly doubt it at this point in time and with the relationships between Sasaki/NJPW. Still 25 years is very young...

Now onto news - New Beginning showed signs of Ibushi v. Nick Jackson from The Young Bucks and with the right deal, maybe Ibushi/Desperado v. Young Bucks. For now, announced already is a Champion v. Champion for the Anniversary Show:

IWGP World Heavyweight Champion: Kazuchika Okada
vs.
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion: Kota Ibushi

Well I think we know who'll go over but it'll be a good match. Think that NJPW could do with two or three more contracted juniors at the moment.

Well I think we know who'll go over but it'll be a good match. Think that NJPW could do with two or three more contracted juniors at the moment.

No kidding! Specially if Devitt ends up signing for WWE as people expect him too.

Now there's something I wanted to ask you: do you think Okada will break Tanahashi's record of 11 successful title defenses? As of this moment I can't see anyone getting the title out of him. Tanahashi's busy with the IC title. Naito, Goto and Shibata simply aren't ready - if Shibata wins the New Japan Cup, I can see him being a strong challenger for the sake of booking, but I think that Okada should lose against someone from CHAOS at Wrestle Kingdom. I know it's a year and most likely won't happen, specially in this day and age but I can genuinely see Okada breaking some records... Even if he loses before Wrestle Kingdom, which is most likely - I still think he should be facing someone from CHAOS and that someone should be Shinsuke Nakamura and with that I would expect a full babyface turn to Nakamura, in a CM Punk way of a cool babyface.

Thoughts?

I'd rather see Okada break records and hold the belt for a long time than pass the belt around for the sake of it, he doesn't need to be 6-time champ like Tanahashi, he can be a 3-time champ with a couple of long reigns or something. I honestly can't see anyone taking it off him for another six months. Someone could yet explode out of midcard but no one comes to mind at all.

As for face/heel turns, they're in a very interesting situation on the top line.

- Okada: gets cheers as much as jeers.
- Tanahashi: least likely to turn but his admonishing of Goto was interesting
- Goto: hanging out with Shibata against Tanahashi's wishes
- Shibata: hanging out with Goto, building respect back after his MMA excursions
- Nakamura: people just love the guy, too stylish and iconic to be a proper heel really
- Ishii: is completely over, gets huge cheers now, fans are really responding to him
- Naito: responded awesomely to heat at New Beginning and worked against a hostile crowd really well.

Same goes for Anderson: meant to be heel but gets a great reaction, but I don't see him as a top-liner.

So they're in a place where anyone can dive anywhere, apart from people like Yano, Ibushi, Takahashi, Ten-Koji, Time Splitters - it seems that face/heel is a mindstate rather than an obvious fact of existence.

If I were booking, I'd keep Ishii strong and fit and have him do it at WK9. His match against Naito was something else and you could play the CHAOS break-up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back