• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Punk To Lose Strap Over Ratings?

So sick of hearing how Cole sucks because he's "annoying". He's SUPPOSED to be annoying, he's playing the heel announcer. The other thing I love to hear is how he doesn't focus on the match and talks about this and that. The office tells him what to say and how to say it. Cole is not shooting on the mic all night, he's working. Any ratings problem isn't with Cole or Punk, it's Vince and the office. Maybe the old school fans who made the company are sick of bloodless cage matches, family friendly "extreme" matches, talking leprechauns, and stupid angles they push down our throats and then just drop without explanation. Maybe the newer fans laugh at the mindless hypocrisy of constant "anti-bullying" ads in between chairshots and beatdowns in addition to the things that go on backstage. Maybe they also laugh at the old guys trying to be "hip" by using the words "Trending" a thousand times an hour. The reasons the ratings suck is because the product sucks. Personally I think the only way Vince stays at the top of his game is when he is FORCED to. If TNA or another wrestling company exploded like WCW did, WWE would rise up to the challenge and give us something worth watching. I also am willing the bet the farm that if it did ever happen, all that "We need to be PG now" rhetoric would go out the window.

Well I think the problem we have here is that the mass of the fans, the casual fans have grown used to the John Cena and randy Orton show and this is a problem. If cm punk cannot get ratings thn drop it. Punk is popular but doesn't have the ability of John Cena when it comes to drawing money.

I think putting the strap on Cena, for the eleventh time, will get WWE to 5.8 ratings! The more a guy is a champion = more it means.

Ofcourse that is all sarcasm, but according to Meltzer and Alvarez, the only people i trust when reporting news and backstage happenings, there are plenty of people who dont think Punk, Ziggler, Ryder etc are good enough, they will use the poor ratings (which have been poor for months even with Cena as champion) to get their legs cut off.

Ratings are poor because the RAW has been very bad lately, they were bad when Triple H was the focus and "COO", they were bad when Cena was champion.

Wow I find it sad that people rather see Cena as champ than CM Punk, but the WWE shouldn't blame it on simply CM Punk. WWE should blame the whole product itself. There isn't a major storyline involving CM Punk except with a lack repetition of Del Rio v CM Punk(Although their matches were good). Maybe once the 1/2/12 is reveled, Punk will have a meaningful feud with Jericho(if it is him) than with Del Rio. The only real feud happening in Raw is Kane v Cena. Shocking WWE is still putting more stock on Cena than Punk. Also Punk simply has much more momentum(not as much in the Summer) running that none of the wrestlers in the back can really give him a run for his money except John Cena or HHH, but WWE already did those feuds...which could have lasted longer, but WWE dropped the ball.

Oh, I also blame Michael Cole...who would want to hear his annoying ass on tv.

Anyone blaming Cole for bad Raw ratings is absolutely insane. Are any of you changing the channel simply because Cole annoys you? No. Guess what, nobody else is either. Cole annoys me too, but that's what he's supposed to do, and it's what made Daniel Bryan's TLC victory that much sweeter.

I'm also not quick to blame Punk for the decline in Raw ratings, especially last Monday. There was a great MNF game between two playoff teams that was delayed for the first hour because of a power outage. Additionally, this time of year is always rough for the WWE as folks are out Christmas shopping or working overtime to accommodate Christmas shoppers.

I don't like this, but I understand it. Like just about everyone here, I've found Punk wildly entertaining over the past year, and I think he does and can draw given the right program and timing. His feud with Miz and Del Rio kind of felt thrown together and underdeveloped. I hope the WWE holds off on pulling the strap from him until they give him a program worth watching.

It didn't help matters that Punk's Raw ratings continued to decline the night after the PPV, when his main event segment featuing a 6 man tag match between him, Zack Ryder & Daniel Bryan vs The Miz, Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler only gained 59,000 viewers for the show's over run.

The Wrestling Observer report noted that the main event segment of Raw only drew a 2.67 cable rating, which is by far the lowest rated Raw main event of 2011 and possibly the lowest Raw main event rating since 1997 for a non-holiday show.

of course it's going to be low. why would anyone watch a main event that features a tag team or a triple tag team match that means absolutely nothing? and i agree with Superman38. punk's storylines aren't very good. you can only do so much in making fun of laurinitis.

give him a main event match. something. it's like they have no time to push all these other guys, so they cram them in at the end.

whatever happened to RAW ending with a bang or a swerve in a storyline? laurinitis should be putting punk through hell right now, but he is barely on TV.

Well, its going to be a shame, can you say cena 11th time wwe champion?, the problem with this is when cena beat alberto del rio for the title the wwe hoped for a ratings spike that never came. Im pretty sure cm punk isnt the problem, its the stupid storylines and vince re writing raw like 10 times before they go live.
You cant make the same mistake that russo did in the last days of WCW, and write raw taking in account the segments ratings. You need to make a better program as a hole, and not push people for some increases or not. If you do are you going to push alicia fox? really?.

Again I think this Story is bullshit and all the blaming of Cole is bullshit. If they were going to take the Belt off CM Punk it would have happend back at TLC.

The reason, in my opinion, that CM Punk causes a ratings slide now...IF in fact that is actually the case...is because he's not actually doing what he was doing when he became popular.

What shot him up into relevance for the masses was his pseudo-"shoots" leading up to MITB. The ones where he had something to say and was able to say it mostly unrestrained.

So fast-forward to now. He's stale already.

Yes, he's stale...and dare I say annoying.

Here are the 2 things Punk does every week now:

1 - Talks about how he's going to change WWE. Nobody really believes this because everybody knows he has no real power. In this age or wrestling, a storyline of this nature just doesn't work unless you put the slightest hint of realism behind it. Plus, he hasn't actually DONE anything anyway storyline-wise to push this angle. What has he done? Absolutely nothing. WWE writers fault, probably, but it's another dead angle and missed opportunity - the complete story of 2011 for WWE.

2 - He comes out and talks about how nobody expected him to be WWE Champion...and nobody now expected Daniel Bryan to be WWE Champion...and nobody expected this...and nobody cared about that. Well guess what...we're starting not to care again. Shut up about it already. It's really annoying.

I think back to RAW on Monday when they had Punk, Bryan and Ryder in the ring at the same time...it made me think of years ago before Cena even turned thug heel for the first time. He was brand new and he was in a six-man tag match or cage match or something that also featured Edge. Edge and Cena's team were victorious and JR remarked about how the future of WWE was making a statement in the ring. The reason that worked was because it also involved top stars, both heels and faces, and it was part of an angle that made for interesting television. It's a joke to think these new face champions are going to draw any interest when you put them up against The Miz and ADR (I won't include Ziggler because I think he's a strong all-around wrestler personality).

Punk is not the voice of the voiceless anymore. He's the ringleader of irrelevence. If he's not shooting, he's just like everyone else.

As much as the IWC might absolutely hate to admit it, good wrestling will never translate into better ratings in WWE. Storylines and characters will. And Punk's character comes off more as a hypocrit these days than a rebel. Forget about whether he's holding the title. If he's not "making waves" or really challenging the authority (which lately amounts to video montages making fun of them a la Chris Jericho during his first face run with the company), he's just another midcarder in my opinion.

Maybe a feud with Jericho will "save" him, lol.

of course it's going to be low. why would anyone watch a main event that features a tag team or a triple tag team match that means absolutely nothing? and i agree with Superman38. punk's storylines aren't very good. you can only do so much in making fun of laurinitis.

give him a main event match. something. it's like they have no time to push all these other guys, so they cram them in at the end.

whatever happened to RAW ending with a bang or a swerve in a storyline? laurinitis should be putting punk through hell right now, but he is barely on TV.

Except you know the part where the highest rated WWE Match in history is a three on three tag team match. I believe it was Triple H, Vince McMahon, and Shane MacMahon vs. the team of Undertaker, Kane, and Steve Austin. So yeah three on three tag teams are actually quite a big draw.

If the Six Man Tag had the lowest rating since Bret Hart was champion then yes thier is infact a problem. Buisness's like money if Punk can't get them advertising revenue they'll got thier big draw (CENA) the main event spot and hand him the reigns (Strap).

Look it's fact.

John Cena vs. Mark Henry in a pointless match which had the hype of Cena Attitude Adjusting Mark the week before got a 3.26.

Six Man Tag: Where history is literally everywhere Miz-Bryan had quite a fued, Punk-Del Rio, Ryder-Ziggler got a 2.67. Punk, Ryder, and Bryan were the three biggest face champions at the moment and couldn't get anywhere near the rating of John Cena then you know thier happens to be a problem.

Plus please tell me what they could have done in an hour and a half to build up the six man tag team match. Literally nothing thier was no other way to hype this then the fact that in the past all these guys fueded with one on the other team.

As for Johnny Laurinitis I agree with you on that part actually. Thier should have been a swerve ending or if not let Cena Kane segment end it which was had a preety good cliff hanger value.

While it's possible, I don't think it's likely to happen at this time.

Several months ago, I created a thread talking about how the upcoming fall tv season was going to be rough for both WWE and TNA. Both companies have taken hits in the ratings but, at the same time, it's not really something that's unexpected. Monday Night Football is always going to be ratings champ on Mondays, there's no getting around that. Raw also faces stiff competition from Pawn Stars and often shows on TNT. Raw always experiences a ratings slump the last several months of the year. Granted it's been a little worse this year but one reason for that is because of WWE introducing brand new faces to the main event picture on a long term basis.

If you look back over viewership of Raw the past several months, it's generally been in the 4.3-4.5 million range, which is still enough to make it USA's top drawing show. I read a press release put out by USA earlier this month touting themselves at the #1 cable network for the 5th or 6th year in a row. Overall, for the year, Raw has averaged 4.8 million viewers that watch the show live on Monday nights and DVR viewership for Raw adds a little over 400,000 viewers to the total. They've been drawing these sorts of numbers with Punk as champ and while Cena was in the main event picture. It's not as if Raw was doing record numbers up until Punk got the title.

Raw is having a tough time right now but, at the same time, it's nothing that they haven't experienced before. There were a lot of times in 2009 in which Raw drew under a 3.0 rating but they eventually bounced back. Punk is generally new as a main eventer and it might take time for people to warm up to him in that sense, same thing with TNA & Bobby Roode as their World Champion. Also, to be fair, a lot of people haven't really warmed up to Alberto Del Rio's time on Raw as a main event heel. He's a talented guy but, generally speaking, WWE has built him as a heel that just doesn't come across as being anywhere in the league of Punk or Cena, and you can see that the majority of the time in how Del Rio was booked as WWE Champion. Raw viewership always picks up significantly during the build to WrestleMania, or at least it always has in the past. If the numbers don't show improvement by the time the Royal Rumble is over, however, I think there's a real chance WWE might try to make some sort of change.

Well I think the problem we have here is that the mass of the fans, the casual fans have grown used to the John Cena and randy Orton show and this is a problem. If cm punk cannot get ratings thn drop it. Punk is popular but doesn't have the ability of John Cena when it comes to drawing money.

Except he's still the #1 merch seller.

No, I think this is just an excuse to get the title off Punk. The problem isn't Punk, it's the product. It's stale as hell. The WWE needs to be more unpredictable. No one wants to see the same matches over and over again.

I can say i tuned out before the main event because i knew who was going to win and i also knew nothing of importance would happen at the end of RAW so i thought "Might as well go bed earlier" (Take note that this is at near 4AM for me) so using my experience as evidence it could be this that caused the low overrun. The reason why the other weeks overrun was larger than this weeks is simple because Kane returned and word got round and people tuned in same reason when The Rock returned and got an insane overrun rating.

So what i am saying is the reason why the overrun was so low was because it was extremely predictable and people knew that nothing was going to happen. Hell it could be other things like kids not being able to stay up that late, people not being interested in the people in the main event or seeing the Cena segment then turned off but what i said is what i think is the reason for the drop but it could be anything.

I kinda hope not, I like CM Punk has champ.

Personally, I watched RAW but tuned out during the main event. It was a 6-man tag where the faces were obviously going over.

So many points to touch on but how about this...how about instead of creative being one big unit you have them in 3 groups, lower card, midcard, upper/ME. Give them alotted time, obviously Lower card stuff won'tr have much time but give creative a soul job to do and focus on giving organic fueds, grudge matches with some promo work just standard you donb't have to break barriers, then the same goes to Midcard creative and M.E creative. It all goes through Vince so if he sees some good ideas maybe some guy will get promoted to doing fueds for midcard.

Also stop booking PPV matches then giving us them on Raw the next night...that's fucking ******ed and spits in the face of PPV buyers.

Giving talent more creativity of what they do in ring wouldn't hurt piss ass same old move sets are so bland.

Seriously, WWE? Ratings aren't down because of Punk. Ratings are down because:
1. UFC/NFL/post-lockout NBA... practically every other major sport
2. It's Christmas time. Who has time to sit and watch TV?
3. You squashed the conspiracy angle for HHH and Nash's stupidity
4. Michael Cole can't call a match because you tell him to heel it up on the announce table
5. When you think about it, RAW practically has no midcard thanks to the Supershows (Ryder, Ziggler, Swagger, and to a certain extent Santino: The only mid/upper midcard getting airtime on RAW)
6. Punk kinda lost a bit of edge because of your booking.
Fix these problems and wait it out till after the Holidays instead of blaming Punk and running back to Cena and you'll see the improvement.

Exactly! I just remember last year with Orton and them thinking that about him just two weeks into his reign. I remember thinking, "Hell, you haven't given him anything interesting to do." His feud with Sheamus was built on nothing but the title. To me, that's the biggest cop out today. They think that just by putting the title on the line will make it interesting. Well, it doesn't. In the past, it has always seemed that the title feuds were always personal. And, I'm not just talking about the Attitude Era. Go back to the '80's. Don't you try to tell me that Hogan vs. Andre and Hogan vs. Savage weren't personal.

Another thing that absolutely drives me crazy is the booking. I'm talking about the actual match booking. Take Monday for example. Why should I care about CM Punk (Single Star), Daniel Bryan (Single Star) and Zack Ryder (Single Star) take on The Miz (Single Star), Alberto Del Rio (Single Star) and Dolph Ziggler (Single Star) in a Six-Man Tag Team Match? I just don't see why a fan should care about match like that where the winning doesn't really mean anything. Punk's a single star. He shouldn't be wrestling in a tag team match unless their is some kind of story built in to where the outcome matters. I want matches to actually matter and for the outcome to mean something. Let's say that you have Punk and Miz feuding and Cena and Kane doing the same. Hell, I can pretty tell that the chances are high of seeing Punk and Cena vs. Miz and Kane in a meaningless tag match. I just don't see the point.

You sir, as well as the poster before you, are exactly right. Throw in the fact that Punk has been totally changed from his "Summer of Punk" awesomeness, and you have a recipe for a boring, stale, almost unwatchable (thank you DVR) product. I'll even go as far as to say that if The Rock were to return on a permanent basis and nothing else was left unchanged, the ratings would go right back into the shitter within a couple of months. The hardest part about all of this is the fact that WWE seemed to be turning the corner. How wrong I was.

God it's frustrating reading through these posts and seeing about 3 intelligent ones out of about 40.

Punk losing the title due to ratings? Poppycock. There is no MAJOR problem right now with the WWE product. None. Sure everybody is sick of some of the same matches and blah blah blah and the unpredictability being gone from it. I will preach until the day I die that the product is stale due to the PG ratings. But you can make decent stories and TV in the PG rating. There's been a little more edge within the last year or so but a PG rating basically puts a roof over the head of the WWE that they can't break. It does limit them. But I digress...

The problem with the WWE is that they are so quick to pull the trigger on decisions based on 1 batch of ratings or ratings over a very short span. I would likely believe that it's Vince making all these decisions FOR creative. Why are storylines so stale and boring and lack depth? Because Vince doesn't give creative any time to create a compelling storyline when each person only holds the damn title for 6 weeks at a time. Then comes a quick title change and any ideas creative may have for a certain superstar... down the shitter. So they have to start over. Repeat this for the last 3-4 years. You can't keep making quick decisions and keep people interested.

CM Punk is not the problem. Plus, look at this past Monday. Let's be honest. How interesting are 6-man tag matches? They aren't. Since the WWE has essentially killed tag team wrestling, 1-on-1 matches are the only interesting matches in the company. 6-man tag matches are just clusterf*cks that don't prove anything. Not that every match has to prove something, because it doesn't. But they're terrible. So I think that's problem #1. It's just a crap main event match. Problem #2 is the competition. There was a HUGE MNF football game on Monday night which someone else mentioned. That's a major blow to Raw ratings. Next week won't be any better when there's a Saints/Falcons game on which is already huge in its own right. It's also a game in which Drew Brees will likely break an NFL record that hasn't been touched in over 25 years. It's also the last MNF game of the year. So what is the WWE going to do? Blame it on CM Punk?

Punk isn't the problem. You HAVE to give the guy a chance to be compelling. His ring work is second to none. His mic skills are also amongst the elite. But when you keep yanking the title away from him every 2 months because you don't think he can draw, isn't going to help him draw as a champion either... when he's not the champion. Split second decisions are killing the WWE and probably drives the creative team up a wall when they have something decent and coherent written out for Raw and Vince changes things up at 8:45.

for me, i lost a little bit with punk when they showed him shaking cena's hand after a match at a house show. i know house shows DON'T COUNT, but that killed some of it for me.

and him siding with HHH for a few RAWs sucked as well. this guy is supposed to be anti-establishment, yet you're shaking the hand of a guy you used to feud with not so long ago?

c'mon

Seriously, WWE? Ratings aren't down because of Punk. Ratings are down because:
1. UFC/NFL/post-lockout NBA... practically every other major sport
2. It's Christmas time. Who has time to sit and watch TV?
3. You squashed the conspiracy angle for HHH and Nash's stupidity
4. Michael Cole can't call a match because you tell him to heel it up on the announce table
5. When you think about it, RAW practically has no midcard thanks to the Supershows (Ryder, Ziggler, Swagger, and to a certain extent Santino: The only mid/upper midcard getting airtime on RAW)
6. Punk kinda lost a bit of edge because of your booking.
Fix these problems and wait it out till after the Holidays instead of blaming Punk and running back to Cena and you'll see the improvement.

If all that were true then why did this not happen a year ago? Why didnt this happen in 1999? Punk has gotten boring, he has already gotten plaid out and stale because his gimmick is so watered down. Right now i would actually prefer John Cena because that shit Punk did to start off the show on monday was lame and ridiculous as hell and the most exciting part of the night was the Cena/Kane segment. Michael Cole could never call a match even before he was heel. The only parts i agree with are #5 and #2. They completely forgot about Cm Punks involvement in that whole situation. And who is Ryder going to defend his title against? Swagger? Thats about it, the only reason they dont have Rhodes drop the I.C. title is because he doesnt have anyone to lose it to. Thats why i think if they want to get the ratings up they should unify all titles. Not into one of course. They already unified the Womens division and the tag division so why not the mid-card and main event divisions? Thats more people to put in the spotlight, and less people to pay as well as more time to build up feuds which they desperately need BUT this has been going on for a few years and the ratings have never had a negative spike like this so I agree to take the title off punk but only when they find a replacement.

After reading that article, I was irritated. As I've watched WWE since I was maybe 7 years old, the only two things I am interested in nowadays are CM Punk and Masked Kane.

To me, CM Punk is one of the only interesting characters on WWE, and in my opinion I see him as the best promo worker in WWE today.

My only comments regarding that article are: Did WWE see what the main event was? Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, The Miz?

If you're main event on RAW features none of your top guys in WWE (Orton, Cena, Triple H, Kane), then what do you expect? And the big problem here is that last nights main event had the 2 major champions involved.

WWE is in a real superstar slump, as I just looked into WWE.com and looked at all the superstars, I could only choose 4 big named guys. Back in 03', there was 10 of these people, with a meaningful mid-card. That's the problem in ratings.

You tune in to see someone give a promo at the beginning, here the predictable main event, skip all the matches because there is no interesting superstars, watch the 10:00 event, wait until the crappy mix tag main event every week, and see the ending.

I like punk, I really do but all I read is excuses for why it's not working. If he's that good then he makes bad stroylines good, he makes bad opponents good. He make you watch him no matter what. If he can't do that then maybe just maybe he isn't the best in the world.

Ratings are obviously not the fault of any single person on the roster...the product as a whole is just stagnant, nothing they are doing leads you to believe you might miss something important if you don't tune in. There is nothing unpredictable or exciting right now. Randomly thrown together 6-man tags as main events are not interesting. They took the edge off of Punk, and he doesn't have a real nemesis. Nobody "draws" alone, Austin needed McMahon...and even then it took quite a while for the ratings to catch up to the product. Shawn Michaels as champion had low ratings, not his fault, he was the best they had at the time as I believe Punk is now, but the whole show has to change. Putting the belt on anybody else won't fix that, and honestly who do they have? They don't have the depth of talent they had when they originally split the brands, and as of right now two world titles are unnecessary, and with everybody appearing on both shows anyway it's just ridiculous.

Well one thing this all proves is that for the IWC CM Punk can do no wrong. Hell if u read that CM Punk raped a woman u people would say it was consensual not a rape because their god cm punk said so...

Im a big CM Punk and I truly believe he is the VERY best in the WWE right now. BUT.... his promos and segments have gotten very stale over the past few months. Up until money in the bank his segments were truly amazing. After that insert kevin nash and hhh. I understand that the spotlight got taken away from punk to hhh and nash but even during that time his promos began to actually suck. His feud with HHH was good but even after that. One night theyre fighting the next night theyre on the same page. WTF !!!!!! All I can say is thank god for alberto del rio. ADR has no comparison to punk in the promo department. Recently I like what punk has been doing with the johnny ace stuff at least when he doesnt try acting too funny.

But lets face it. Punk has definitely, definitely lost the thunder he started with. His in ring work is impeccable. But that doesnt get u everywhere.

And ratings definitely arent dropping because of michael cole. The article specifically mentions PUNK's segments. Not michael coles, not zigglers, not miz's but Punks HENCE there must be something wrong with PUNK's promos that people tune off raw to watch something else.

There was a strategy WWE used at one point which seemed to work but might piss people off. That was dont keep their top draws on WWE each week. They did it with the Rock and Stone cold. Both of those guys didnt appear on raw each and every week. Like I remember when the rock got drafted to smackdown. He stopped appearing and came back like a month before vengeance just before king of the ring... It might not work today but back then it made the superstar seem even more important.

And people blaming the UFC for ratings. ARE U SERIOUS BRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UFC events take place like once every month... They dont happen like raw every week. UFC has taken away some wwe audience but that doesnt mean it steals the show every week. Whatever is wrong with the ratings its not because of UFC. and its not entirely cm punks fault either. Its the whole product as a whole.

It annoys me that one champion seems to be responsible for the bad ratings. I find him to be the most entertaining character on Raw and it kills me that he's looked at as a poor champion by the office when there are several other reasons why the ratings have dropped. The Holiday season itself is a big one, but I've seen other excuses given too. But if you really do want to blame Punk as champion, it's pretty easy to notice that the creative hasn't done the best it can as far as creating a good feud for him since he became champion. Del Rio and Miz aren't considered "top guys" quite yet, but they're they made to look like CM Punk's stooges during the segments. Has Del Rio been booked as a real threat to CM Punk's title lately? Point being, he needs an interesting feud. And CM Punk's merch sales haven't dropped below Cena's. So why is it assumed that he's responsible for the drop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back