• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Psychics, real or just plain lucky?

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
There's this lady at the local market that my Fiance's friends alway's visits and she everthing she has said so far has came true. Now the latest thing she has said to my fiance's friend is that one of her close friends born under the sign of Virgo will be recieving good news on or around the june the fourth this year. It has to do with something she really wants,

now My fiance is the only close or just plain friend that is a virgo and the only thing that she really wants is to get married (wich we are doing this year sometime anyway so that's out) and to fall pregnate. do you think that the latest thing she has said will come true or not? Or do you think that she just takes pot luck, says something like that so even if my fiance finds out she won $50 bucks she will think its the good news so it makes her look good?

(personally I hope she is legit)

But I really think that Psychics just say something that could be interpreted in many ways so people think its true. I really don't think no one out there can predict the future or contact people who have passed away. I beliave in spirits and that but I don't think they can only speak to a few people let alone any. why have a middle man if you want to speak to a living person, why not front them yourself.

Thoughts?

Yeah I'm with you on this. THat's incredibly vague and with three and a half months before it is supposed to happen, all kinds of things could change. It's unreasonable to think that nothing good will happen to her within that amount of time. Also it could be something as simple as she's needing money and she finds 20 dollars somewhere. That's the thing with psychics: they keep things so vague that it could go anyway you want it to. I'd say neither of the above. More like well played.

Actually Psychics are very real. Its all about energy really. Everything has an energy. I'm no psychic, but I have been researching on this type of energy. There is a thing called Chakra. Chakra is Energy centers in your body. The Chakra psychics use is called the Third Eye. Located in your forehead (otherwise the penial gland). The Third-Eye is responsible for ESP type stuff like Psychic readings.I actually had a Picture reading done recently on a mystical energy forum and it was very accurate. Its all quite facinating really. By the way if you develop your Chakras you can actually set fire to things with your hands.

As I've said before. Everything has an energy. We just have to learn to harness it. If anyone wishes to say this shit is satanism. IT IS NOT. research Qigong, Buddhism, and Yoga. They all deal with Chakra.

I don't believe anyone can tell the future. But, I do think some are intuitive and smart enough to be able to predict it with relative accuracy.

As for whether people can actually be psychic or not, I think they can.

I believe being psychic is possible because everyone's mind is connected.

I believe everyone is united psychically at the deepest part of their consciousness. Like for instance, many people talk about having a subconscious. The thing about the subconscious is, you're never really aware of it, but you know it must exist. For instance, when memories pop up out of "nowhere", that's coming from the subconscious. Or when you go to sleep, your conscious self kind of disappears and you end up floating around in your subconscious.

It's kind of like, we're all individuals, but no matter where we walk, we're still walking on the earth. So you might say the earth connects us because we all live upon it. Similarly, the base consciousness is something all consciousness exists on top of. And since all consciousness exists on top of it, we're all apart of it.

So because a part of your subconscious, which I think is like the "base" of all consciousness, is unified with everyone else's, it would make perfect sense that others could read minds. Or perceive extraordinary things. Or do any of the other psychic things that have been talked about since the beginning of mankind.

But the future is not information that would be accessible in the base consciousness because of the fact that it hasn't happened yet.

I don't believe anyone can tell the future. But, I do think some are intuitive and smart enough to be able to predict it with relative accuracy.

Far from it actually. If you develop your Third-Eye you can actually see into the future. A lot of Psychic readings will be vague because the future is uncertain. Think of it like "The Force". The more developed you are, the more accurate your readings can be.

Far from it actually. If you develop your Third-Eye you can actually see into the future. A lot of Psychic readings will be vague because the future is uncertain. Think of it like "The Force". The more developed you are, the more accurate your readings can be.

The things you mentioned are pretty much what I said when I said an intuitive and intelligent person is better at predicting the future. You call it psychic and uncertain, and I call it intuitive and probabilistic. Same thing really.

But where we do differ is that I think there's a difference between being good at predicting the future and actually knowing the future.

And I don't think anyone can know or "see" the future.

And if the future could be completely known, that means we have no free will.

Or maybe you don't believe in free will?

Actually Psychics are very real. Its all about energy really. Everything has an energy. I'm no psychic, but I have been researching on this type of energy. There is a thing called Chakra. Chakra is Energy centers in your body. The Chakra psychics use is called the Third Eye. Located in your forehead (otherwise the penial gland). The Third-Eye is responsible for ESP type stuff like Psychic readings.I actually had a Picture reading done recently on a mystical energy forum and it was very accurate. Its all quite facinating really. By the way if you develop your Chakras you can actually set fire to things with your hands.

As I've said before. Everything has an energy. We just have to learn to harness it. If anyone wishes to say this shit is satanism. IT IS NOT. research Qigong, Buddhism, and Yoga. They all deal with Chakra.

Not to be a dick, but the brow chakra, or third eye, as you call it, isn't used to predict the future or see into someone else's chakra, it's to be able to see into your own energy and see your wisdom from which you can use life experiences to make good decisions based on things you have been through or seen in the past.

Also a healthier brow chakra or Third Eye helps us see the difference between fantasy and illusion, and again, make good decisions based on that ability to discern reality from illusion.

The Sanskrit description of the Third Eye or Brow Chakra is Perception. Also the functions of the Brow Chakra are as follows : Direct perception, intuition, wisdom, insight, imagination, spiritual awareness, vision, individual consciousness.

It's usually confused with clairvoyance due to the insight function, but overall function of this chakra is to look within yourself and develop perceptions based on past experiences.

From WholeEarthSpirt.com

Source: http://www.wholeearthspirit.com/energy_work.php

THE BROW CHAKRA (Third Eye)
This chakra is nourished by light and is the center of intuition and knowledge. It is the seat of consciousness and connects us to our psychic awareness. The Third Eye receives messages from our soul before it reaches the brain, and we are presented with the opportunity to listen to our intuition before the brain takes over with reasoning. This chakra impacts the pituitary gland and also the hypothalamus. These glands stimulate all our other glands, and so the Brow Chakra also oversees the other chakras. Other areas affected are the nervous system, the brain, face and eyes.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I personally do not fully believe in psychics myself. As everyone has noted, a lot of "reading" are quite vague, and do not give an accurate telling of when or how anything will happen. A lot of the reasons behind these things coming true is because I believe it puts a positive or negative belief/thought in someone's mind after hearing this, and try to make good of this foretelling and "try" to make it come true. I truly believe if someone didn't get a reading and didn't know it was going to happen, it wouldn't happen because they would have no influence over whether they make it happen or not.

You can just call me one of those people that believe "You make your own destiny, Destiny doesn't make you". I don't look at anyone any differently for believing otherwise, I have an open mind that there are MANY Things we don't understand about the human mind at this point in time, and who knows, maybe in a few hundred or thousand years we will uncover some secrets and see more potential, and maybe these abilities do exist in certain people.

I have personally been read three times, and because I held dispositions of it not happening, it didn't happen, lending to my thoughts on making your own destiny. If I really wanted it to happen, I would go out and make it happen.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, it's bollocks. It's called cold reading, and it's very easy to do. I shall now demonstrate two things that psychics claim to be able to do, and without the use of any supernatural powers. The first is that I shall contact the dead. I'm getting a sensation that you have an older female relative, maybe a grandmother or great grandmother, that has died. I'm feeling that she had some sort of leg trouble. She's saying something about modern art not being very good, and that modern music is just noise. I guarantee that every single one of you knows that woman, but with a bit of a show, that could look like it is specific.

The second is that I will read the future. It will rain in Brazil this evening. There will be a controversy in Washington this year. An American Soldier will die this week. All will happen, but all are nothing put pattern predictions. It's a little harder to do it on a personal level, but every single person on here will get good and bad news today. Saying that someone will, is vague and easy.

If anyone could read the future with any real conviction, then they would change it and it wouldn't be the future. You can't read the future because it hasn't been written. If you decide to take the deterministic view, which is the only one in which this can work, then you have to concede that there is no point in knowing the future, because you won't be able to prepare for it and it is unavoidable. Nobody can read the future, and anyone that claims they can is a charlatan.

It depends on who you're referring to. If its a gypsy, hell, they'll admit it for you. Its a scam. Smoke, mirrors and a projector hidden in the room. Scooby Doo 101 there. Tarots are as much loads of crap as is the horoscope. Its all your head. If you believe it, chances are you'll cause it.

As for kids with "spoon bending" powers and all that, why does it seem like such a surprise? Its established that we humans have access to only 10% of the brain. Who's to say these "gifted people" simply have access to a different 10%?

Take a McDonalds combo. A Big Mac. Normal people take it with fries and a medium Coke. You have your "odd" cases where they want a different soda, or different side dish. Maybe no tomatoes. The point is that if we are born with 10% brain power, why can't others have a different 10%? Of course this is just my rather vague and stupid view on the subject.

Absolute bullshit. What if I went to one, asked the "psychic" if i could speak to my "dead" father, who isn't really dead? how would he/she know?

It depends on who you're referring to. If its a gypsy, hell, they'll admit it for you. Its a scam. Smoke, mirrors and a projector hidden in the room. Scooby Doo 101 there. Tarots are as much loads of crap as is the horoscope. Its all your head. If you believe it, chances are you'll cause it.
so, your bullshit detector isn't completely broken, as it can still detect the larger chunks of pure crap. I'm not going to say much more on that because as you say, they're about as real as kryptonite.
As for kids with "spoon bending" powers and all that, why does it seem like such a surprise?
because it makes no sence. and because they distract you and bend the spoon with thehir muscles. I subscribe to Occham's razor. Which is more likely a kid with telekinetic powers, or sleight of hand. If anybody had telekinetic powers James Randi would have handed them a cheque. He's had it for 20 years now.
Its established that we humans have access to only 10% of the brain.
no we dont. we use the entire brain. not all of the neurones are firing at the same time (because then it would melt) but that does not equal only using 10% of it
Who's to say these "gifted people" simply have access to a different 10%?
see above. the part where I point out that the 10% of the brain being used is bullshit of the highest callibre.
Take a McDonalds combo. A Big Mac. Normal people take it with fries and a medium Coke. You have your "odd" cases where they want a different soda, or different side dish. Maybe no tomatoes. The point is that if we are born with 10% brain power, why can't others have a different 10%? Of course this is just my rather vague and stupid view on the subject.
even ignoring the fact that you're comparing people who dont like tomatoes with people with superpowers, and that the founding arguement of the flawed analogy is also flawed, your arguement makes no sence. How would using different parts of the brain give you psychic powers? and if these gifted people were truely using different bits of the brain then in turn we'd have 'gifts' that they didn't. not to mention that telekinisis makes no sence to begin with (how can your brain move something?), and quite possibly breaks a few laws of physics, I'd say that you should ammend your opinion to one that isnt completely rediculous.

so, your bullshit detector isn't completely broken, as it can still detect the larger chunks of pure crap. I'm not going to say much more on that because as you say, they're about as real as kryptonite.because it makes no sence. and because they distract you and bend the spoon with thehir muscles. I subscribe to Occham's razor. Which is more likely a kid with telekinetic powers, or sleight of hand. If anybody had telekinetic powers James Randi would have handed them a cheque. He's had it for 20 years now. no we dont. we use the entire brain. not all of the neurones are firing at the same time (because then it would melt) but that does not equal only using 10% of it see above. the part where I point out that the 10% of the brain being used is bullshit of the highest callibre.even ignoring the fact that you're comparing people who dont like tomatoes with people with superpowers, and that the founding arguement of the flawed analogy is also flawed, your arguement makes no sence. How would using different parts of the brain give you psychic powers? and if these gifted people were truely using different bits of the brain then in turn we'd have 'gifts' that they didn't. not to mention that telekinisis makes no sence to begin with (how can your brain move something?), and quite possibly breaks a few laws of physics, I'd say that you should ammend your opinion to one that isnt completely rediculous.

Well, I can't deny that you are right. My post was based on what knowledge I had on the subject, which as you saw, wasn't much. However, regarding the "10% brain power", what I was saying is that use that capacity on a daily basis. Obviously we use the entire brain to fuction, but we are still capable of more.

I'm not saying psychics are real, I'm saying "what if there's something to it?" Maybe it is fiction and I'm just acting like an idiot. However there has to be something to it because kids don't just figure out how to do magic tricks like bending spoons or deducing logic at such early ages. Something in the brain has to do with it. Maybe they're smarter than average and can trick you, but for now its an unsolved mistery.

Well, I can't deny that you are right. My post was based on what knowledge I had on the subject, which as you saw, wasn't much. However, regarding the "10% brain power", what I was saying is that use that capacity on a daily basis. Obviously we use the entire brain to fuction, but we are still capable of more.

We really aren't capable of more. I don't know where this 10% thing has come from, but it's bullshit. We pretty much know what every single thing in the brain does and it is just a case of sorting out the minutae. We are a year or two away from having fabricated a rats brain, I expect humans would follow in my life time.

I'm not saying psychics are real, I'm saying "what if there's something to it?" Maybe it is fiction and I'm just acting like an idiot. However there has to be something to it because kids don't just figure out how to do magic tricks like bending spoons or deducing logic at such early ages. Something in the brain has to do with it. Maybe they're smarter than average and can trick you, but for now its an unsolved mistery.

It really isn't an unsolved mystery. Put it this way, James Randi, as can be seen here, has offered anyone that can give proof of paranormal activity $1 million. He's offered this prize, although the amount has risen, permanently since 1968, and nobody has taken the claim. If anyone had any conviction that what they were doing was genuine, don't you think someone would have proven it.

We really aren't capable of more. I don't know where this 10% thing has come from, but it's bullshit. We pretty much know what every single thing in the brain does and it is just a case of sorting out the minutae. We are a year or two away from having fabricated a rats brain, I expect humans would follow in my life time.

We can grown a brain in a laboratory out of cells. But we can't just fabricate it out of say, molecules. We have to have the DNA already to do much of anything. It's kinda like, we can do it, as long as we have the thing that can already do it in the first place. Which really means we can't really do it, other than grow it.

And just because we can grow something, and that we know a lot about the brain, doesn't mean that we know everything there is to know.

Like I said, if we could, from the ground up, build any type of brain we wanted out of molecules, then we would have mastered the brain.

But the fact is also, that the same parts of everyone's brains work differently. For instance, did you know that if you learn a new language, it's stored in a new part of your brain, instead of where the old language is kept? Brains are constantly changing.

It really isn't an unsolved mystery. Put it this way, James Randi, as can be seen here, has offered anyone that can give proof of paranormal activity $1 million. He's offered this prize, although the amount has risen, permanently since 1968, and nobody has taken the claim. If anyone had any conviction that what they were doing was genuine, don't you think someone would have proven it.

What is proof?

If you experience something wildly out of the ordinary, and tell someone about it, is that proof?

Well it depends on if you believe that person or not.

The problem is, things that don't happen very often, that is, aren't repeatable, it's hard to do scientific studies about.

The fact is, there's a lot about reality we really don't know about.

For instance, quantum physics allows for some extrordinary things, that defy explanation using normal physics.

Also, in quantum physics, a molecule can suddenly teleport across the whole universe in a blink of the eye, seemingly at random.

I'm just saying science is about keeping your mind open to possibilities. No one during the classical physics era, could have guessed the incredible things that we've discovered about quantum physics. They would have written it off as nonsense.

We can grown a brain in a laboratory out of cells. But we can't just fabricate it out of say, molecules. We have to have the DNA already to do much of anything. It's kinda like, we can do it, as long as we have the thing that can already do it in the first place. Which really means we can't really do it, other than grow it.

Actually, no, we can't grow a brain. We can artificially recreate something from electrical components that does exactly the same thing, which is what real understanding is.
And just because we can grow something, and that we know a lot about the brain, doesn't mean that we know everything there is to know.

We don't know everything there is to know, but there is no question that we aren't aware of some huge aspect of human capacity, if it were possible, then it would be a pretty big area of ou brain causing it, not a few molecular discrepencies.
Like I said, if we could, from the ground up, build any type of brain we wanted out of molecules, then we would have mastered the brain.

No, this is absolutely flawed. Could anybody build a lightbulb from molecules up? No. Does anybody understand its full capacity? Of course they do.

But the fact is also, that the same parts of everyone's brains work differently.For instance, did you know that if you learn a new language, it's stored in a new part of your brain, instead of where the old language is kept? Brains are constantly changing.

You don't store languages, you use the Broca's area to comprehend them. It's one of the best understood areas of neuropsychology.

What is proof?

If you experience something wildly out of the ordinary, and tell someone about it, is that proof?

Proof is any empirical evidence.
Well it depends on if you believe that person or not.

No it doesn't. That isn't proof, proofrequires evidence.

The problem is, things that don't happen very often, that is, aren't repeatable, it's hard to do scientific studies about.

The fact is, there's a lot about reality we really don't know about.
For instance, quantum physics allows for some extrordinary things, that defy explanation using normal physics.

Also, in quantum physics, a molecule can suddenly teleport across the whole universe in a blink of the eye, seemingly at random.

No it can't. That's to do with general relativity and the prospect of wormholes is fiercly debated. The fact of the matter is also that that is entirely irrelevant to human capability.

I'm just saying science is about keeping your mind open to possibilities. No one during the classical physics era, could have guessed the incredible things that we've discovered about quantum physics. They would have written it off as nonsense.

No they wouldn't, they wouldn't have understood it, or seen a reason to. In fact, the only reason quantum exists as a concept is because new phenomena were discovered that didn't fit into old models. Newton actually said his understanding was only applicable if time was constant, so he would have accepted relativity.

Whatever, these instances are irrelevant. This isn't a case of expanding our knowledge to a smaller or larger scale or even further into time, as with every major scientific discovery, this is a case of witnessing something that has apparently always existed yet nobody has ever managed to prove.

Fuck. Tastycles came in and busted out the Cold Reading before I could. It's my fault for being late.

But seriously, let's look at what psychics do.

Miss Psychic said:
In 3 months, something extraordinary will happen to one of your friends. The one born under the sign of a bull.

Well, alright. Miss Psychic just said one of my friends would experience a extraordinary event in 3 months.

Did she say it was good or bad? Did she say it would be specific to only him, or involve a group of people?

Did she mention money? Cars? Girls? Guns? Death?

------------------------------
Complete vagaries are the mark of a psychic. Take the most celebrated "Psychic" of all time. Nostradamus.

Quatrain 9 said:
From the Orient will come the African heart
to trouble Hadrie and the heirs of Romulus.
Accompanied by the Libyan fleet
the temples of Malta and nearby islands shall be deserted.

Well. This mens something will befall the Romans, as Romulus is one of the founders of the Roman Republic, if I remember my Roman History right.

Libyan fleet? Northern African country.

But get this. The "Sons of Romulus" could be anyone in the Mediterranean or the farthest reaches of the Roman Empire. Basically:

roman-empire.gif

The Romans prided themselves in being a "mongrel" people. They welcomed anyone into the folds of Roman citizenship, really. Well...not everyone. And there were different levels of Roman Citizenship. But you get my point. Everyone in the empire was believed to be a Roman, and a son of Romulus.

Basically, Nostradomus just said that the Libyan fleet would invade anyone within an area of land that spans from Britain to Asia. What a fucking psychic that man was.

Oh yeah, and Libya is included in the Roman Empire. So if Libya used her own fleet to squash a rebellion, then BAM. Nostradamus is right.

So yeah. Psychics = Not real. Unless you count vagueness as a psychic power. Then I have a prediction for you.

Razor's Prediction said:
In the year of the Flower,
A Hero shall fall.
A Leader shall order aggression,
The Flag shall be stained with blood.

I believe in psychics, but I believe they're of the devil. I'm a fairly in-tuned spiritual guy. I believe in Christianity, and I believe that the devil can certainly try to mimic what God has created.

God has prophets, that very well can see directly into the future. There is a prophet that goes to my church. Literally, he says things to me that I feel like hes stalking me, and he does that with an entire congregation of a little over 125-150 people. Singling out people from the very croud, telling them EXACT things going on in their lives, and telling them EXACTLY what will happen next. Not some vauge description.

So just as God has these Prophets, I believe the Devil can set up a mimic. A psychic. That can try and decieve people, to stay away from Godly things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back