Can an attractive woman be so good at her job that her beauty is ignored?

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/07/21/erin-andrews-video-straddles-sports-cultures-sexual-fault-line/?icid=webmail|wbml-aol|dl8|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fncaafootball.fanhouse.com%2F2009%2F07%2F21%2Ferin-andrews-video-straddles-sports-cultures-sexual-fault-line%2F

In the article above, the author argues that the reason Erin Andrews has a job is because she is really hot. He says that she is very good at her job, but if she wasn't pretty, she wouldn't have the job.

I, for one, am inclined to agree. The stereotypical male has two things on his mind: sports and sex. ESPN is smart to give us both, the game itself, and Andrews on the sidelines. Does this make it right? No, but it is what it is, I guess. Guys think about sex a lot, kinda sad, but true. As long as this is true, I'm afraid that women will be judged on looks first, abilities second. I honestly think this is how a lot of actresses and singers have jobs. They aren't necessarily the most talented, but they look good out there, so they become famous.

Look at FTS' thread about celebrity status. He brings up Paris Hilton. The fact is that she is famous because she is hot and rich. She is famous even though she has no talent at all. Then look at Susan Boyle. She was ugly, to be frank. She walked on stage, and everyone assumed she was going to be terrible. Then, she began singing and it was absolutely beautiful. The focus, however, was still on how she looked first.

So what does everyone else think?

Probably not. Annoying, but true. An argument I've heard a lot about recently is the comparison between how male television presenters/judges on shows are treated and how female ones are. A judge on Strictly come Dancing was replaced by a younger model, someone who was no where near as qualified as she was. However, she got the job because she was prettier, youngerand more glamorous. Now, if you look at the presenter of that show, it's an Old aged pensioner. However, he has a job because he's male. If it was a female of that age she'd have been traded in a long time ago.

The focus is too much on women's looks when it comes to the media. As you rightly say, it seems 2 of the things guys care about the most are sports and sex. Now, I don't mind too much about women being looked at as sex objects in the media, because that's clearly what 90%+ of them want. But when that starts getting in the way of doing an actual job, such as the example I used above, that's going too far.

That's a good example, Becca. I think that happened on American Idol this year. Paula Abdul may be kinda crazy, but she knew what she was talking about. It was clear, however, that she isn't nearly as attractive as she used to be. So this past season, they added Kara DioGuardi to the judging panel. She has worked as a producer and songwriter, and had some success in those areas, but that is what Randy and Simon are for. Paula is there because she lived it. I am convinced that she was put on the show solely because she is more attractive than Paula. It is a shitty fact, but I'm afraid it is a fact nonetheless.

Absolutely.

There are plenty of actresses out there who make you forget their beauty while they're on screen and make you totally focus on their character and the story being told. Then there's Gina Carano. While she's very beautiful, she has a huge fan base only because she's also talented. And then are women with small jobs like waitresses. Yeah... they're beauty is what you notice first, but if they're charming and actually good at the job, then that completely overshadows their beauty. You'll leave a larger tip to an "ugly" waitress who's polite and did the job right, than a "pretty" one who was rude and had no clue what she was doing.

As far as Erin Andrews is concerned... yes, she's very beautiful, but honestly... what else is there to notice about her? All she does is interview people. Pretty much anyone on this Earth can do that. There's honestly nothing to admire about her, other than her beauty. Now if she ever moves to the commentator's table and does a good job at that, then that's when she'll start getting some respect. Until then, however, she's just a pretty face and hot body and nothing more. And before the whole tape incident... she played that angle for long time.

The Problem is no, alot of women in the industry get in because of their looks as do alot of males i may add, the fact that Modelling is becoming more aparent with TV and presenting as anything these days look at how many male and female models have crossed over to presenting in the UK alone its kinda a no brainer.

The issue i have is that it takes alot away from the person if they are talented and it makes talented people do stupid things, and it takes credibility from the job also, no one will take you seriously if your a sex simbole just look at Brad Pit look at how long it took him to become credible to actually be noticed as an actor more or less he was given roles with his shirt off and nothing that would takeaway his credibility as a sex symbol now as he ages he is becoming more prominant and showing more and more of his talent as an actor.

Sex and entertainment is definitely an issue but hopefully it will take only a few to break the stereotypical views of many... but only time will tell.

Absolutely.

There are plenty of actresses out there who make you forget their beauty while they're on screen and make you totally focus on their character and the story being told. Then there's Gina Carano. While she's very beautiful, she has a huge fan base only because she's also talented. And then are women with small jobs like waitresses. Yeah... they're beauty is what you notice first, but if they're charming and actually good at the job, then that completely overshadows their beauty. You'll leave a larger tip to an "ugly" waitress who's polite and did the job right, than a "pretty" one who was rude and had no clue what she was doing.

But would Gina be so popular, even outside of the world of MMA, if she wasn't so beautiful? Same with someone like Danica Patrick. Both Danica and Gina are exceptionally good at what they do, but their attractiveness make them able to crossover into more popular media. So yeah, they both are recognized for their abilities, but I think the fact that they are beautiful gives them opportunities they wouldn't necessarily receive.

If I have an attractive co-worker, the first thing I'll notice about her is her looks. However, experience has taught me that some people have it all (that is to say, both beauty and brains). It's a tough pill to swallow, especially for people that have one but not the other. Anyway, here's the point I'm trying to make: if someone is in a position of some importance, it is more than likely the case that they are there because of their knowledge/intelligence/work ethic. So, yes, if I have an attractive co-worker that is a solid teammate, then their looks are of no real importance to me.

unfortunately i'm going to have to say no. if a girl is beautiful and has a job and excels at it then eventually they will probably get respect for it but still the focus will almost always be on her looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back