• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Potentially awesome and controversial storyline

Ballin247

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was thinking of a storyline that would be pretty edgy and controversial that would get people talking. The storyline would be of a wrestler from WWE or even TNA coming out of the closet. Im not talking about a comedy type gimmick like Rico or Billy and Chuck, but a serious gimmick. The wrestler who comes out would be a heel who lashes out at the fans and other wrestler because of their intolerance or nonacceptance of his life style.

I think the gimmick would work best on a no name wrestler to give him some momentum. The wrestler would debut as a typical talented up-and-comer or golden boy like Jack Swagger or Cena when he first debuted. At first they can put him over as a superbly talented athlete who has a bright future ahead of him. The they could film little segments here and there where he interacts with other stars but they comment that something is a little different about him. He should be pushed as a baby face and start a program with a mid-card heel. Someone like Regal or Benjamin. After a good few months questions would be raised by other stars about what they think is different about him. After he picks up a big win over a heel he cold grab the mic and cut a promo. He would talk about how he is having a great time in WWE and thanks the fans for their support. Then he says that he was worried at first about what people might think of him had they known the truth. He says that he feels comfortable in his own skin and that he now wants to open up to the people. This would be his coming out of the closet. At the end of his promo he would thank the fans for their acceptance and support.

Since there are lot of people who do not accept homosexuals, there would be some fans that would turn on him. Then they could film segments where other male wrestler begin to feel a little uncomfortable around him in the dressing room and backstage. Others would even feel uncomfortable in the ring with him. This could go on for a good couple of months before he begins to get frustrated and takes out his aggression on the guy he is having a match with. He attacks him with a chair and then grabs the mic. He lashes out on his fellow wrestlers and the fans for not accepting him because of his orientation. He would say that nothing about him has changed. He is an honest, hard working man that just wants to do what he loves, but can't because of people's fear of him. There would be a lot of truth to this gimmick because many people may dislike him because he is gay.

He would continue lashing out at the fans and their mis-treatment of him and attack other wrestlers who show signs of homo-phobia. If he gets over as a heel this will work well for a huge push. This wrestler would not be a stereotypical gay person who is feminine, but an average guy who just happens to like men. He would eventually transition into a sociopath.

Idk, do you think a gimmick like this would work? Whenever someone has had a gay-type gimmick it is always something comedic. It would be different to show a more serious approach. He could potentially draw a lot of heat by cutting promos saying that parents tell their kids not to cheer for him because he lives an indecent life-style. I think this gimmick would get people into his character. WOuld such a gimmick work?

I think it's a good effort on your part to create an intriguing storyline to get people talking, but you know full well that there is absolutely no way Vince is going to even attempt a storyline like this, or even any Gay character in the PG Era. Vince is trying to be as completely non-controversial as he possibly can be in this day and age.

His goal is to stay friendly to sponsors, and anything that controversial will undoubtedly drive sponsors away.

You are right about that. I doubt Vince would have the guts to pull off such a controversial angle. Maybe Jeff Jarrett would take a risk. He has less to lose and would benefit from an angle that gets people talking. Its just an Idea. TNA might be willing to do such an angle.

I think the time for that kind of storyline to work has passed. This may have worked like 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Plus, it's just not PC to be a homophobe. You'd have a lot of other wrestlers legitimately pissing off people with their kayfabe homophobia. It would be almost as bad as starting a white supremacist stable that is sick of all the diversity in wrestling today.

What might be funny is to have a wrestler kind of like Mango from Saturday Night Live who can turn male wrestlers gay, or maybe just very metro-sexual and not interested in women at, you know, with the PG rating and all. He could start a stable of flamboyant metro-sexual wrestlers. A few of the remaining "straight" wrestlers could team up with the Divas to figure out a way to bring them back!

I don't know where you live, but most people are generally uncomfortable around homosexuals. It is more acceptable now then it used to be but it is still not the norm. And the point of an angle is to get people into it. People will be able to relate to how the wrestlers react to the gay wrestler. Not all would be homophobic, only a few. Thats realistic because many people are homophobic. It doesn't mean they are bad people, it just has to do with how they were raised. Someone like Shawn Michaels who is a Christian would feel a little iffy about homosexuality because of his religious background. Such an angle could work because their is a lot of truth to it. Its king of like the Muhammad Hassan storyline. It is politically incorrect to be prejudice but it didn't stop the people from disliking him. Many people still feel that "arabs are bad" even though it is socially unacceptable to think that way about any group of people. The same can be said about homosexuals.

I think the angle could have potential if they put a lot of truth into it. Many americans are still iffy about the topic as well.

This storyline would get way too much heat in the gay/lesbian community now a days than it would have 10 years ago.

10 years ago, being gay wasn't as accepted as it is now, which is why I don't think the storyline would work really in either time.

You'd have gay and lesbian groups coming out and criticizing the WWE for making gays look bad, and for having people act like their gay, and in turn likely use some of the stereotypes of gay people as well.

Now, if there were someone in the WWE developmental system who was legitimately gay and was marketable as a possible future star, then MAYBE a storyline like this could work, but I would think Vince would use him as a big face instead of big heel. But still, having some of the guys act homophobic, even if they are, on television would just bring about a ton of bad news for the WWE.

It's a good attempt, but a gimmick with someone who's homosexual would probably be nothing more than a comedy thing, like Billy and Chuck, Rico, and Goldust.

As for the Mohammad Hassan storyline, that storyline was great, and Hassan was becoming a huge star, until the one incident on Smackdown which was the reason for his gimmick and thus far, wrestling career, to end.

It can be done, but the problem is that it would have to be done with finesse. Vince is the ultimate bull in the china shop.

If it is done right, the gay community may applaud the move. The problem is that the knee jerk reaction would squash the angle before it got going. I think if the guy comes out of the closet and is embraced by the baby faces, you could ease him into a heel. He would have to start as a face, and then go crazy because someone refuses to tag with him. It would start as a heel turn for the non gay wrestler, but then you have the gay wrestler attack him with a chair, and then go crazy, talking about how no one ever really supported him.

He could whine about someone like Cena refusing his advances. Next, he kidnaps Cena's wife, stalks him, whatever DDP did to Sarah Taker.

I don't know if there is a guy in the locker room who would agree to being that guy, even if a World Title was promised.

Secondly, once the angle runs it's course, you're stuck with a guy who's gimmick is that's he's gay, limiting him for future story lines. Anytime someone picks a fight, it becomes gay bashing.

And does anyone think Vince could pull this off with the necessary sensitivity to avoid a firestorm in the mainstream media? WWE can only survive so many scandals.

I don't know where you live, but most people are generally uncomfortable around homosexuals. It is more acceptable now then it used to be but it is still not the norm.

I guess I live around more tolerant, educated, advanced people than you. Because in my experience, most people don't really care about someone's sexual orientation, unless they are making it a topic of daily conversation, which is rather in appropriate no matter what your persuasion is. What goes on in someone's bedroom is no one else's business. It's in appropriate conversation for the workplace or in public, period. I don't care what my neighbors do in their bedroom, just as long as everyone involved is an adult, is there willingly, is not married to me, and whatever it is they are doing doesn't make enough noise to wake me up. Other than that, I do not and should not care.

It's not the norm? You mean it's not what the majority is. But then again, neither are Mexicans or blacks, but I think you'd catch a lot of flack if you suggested "most people are generally uncomfortable" around them!

This storyline wouldn't work. I'm willing to bet most wrestlers would object to acting homophobic for a storyline because of the flack they would catch for it.

I thought of this gimmick. I would call him 'Bruce'. He'd be flamboyant and a babyface. He'd be the stereotypical gay person, wearing pink, flashy outfits and very effeminate. Any one who wanted to become heel would simply have to beat the hell out of him. It's classic.

Have him come out to trance music, he'd say 'yay!' all the time. Cena, HHH, and others would be friendly to him because babyfaces are tolerant. The heels would look at him funny, and even beat him up. It'd be great. And he'd be over, too. Always positive and cheerful. Kinda like Kweewee, only a baby face. He'd lose his temper during matches and start just flat beating the hell out of people. Nick Nemeth would be PERFECT for that gimmick.

I guess I live around more tolerant, educated, advanced people than you. Because in my experience, most people don't really care about someone's sexual orientation, unless they are making it a topic of daily conversation, which is rather in appropriate no matter what your persuasion is. What goes on in someone's bedroom is no one else's business. It's in appropriate conversation for the workplace or in public, period. I don't care what my neighbors do in their bedroom, just as long as everyone involved is an adult, is there willingly, is not married to me, and whatever it is they are doing doesn't make enough noise to wake me up. Other than that, I do not and should not care.

It's not the norm? You mean it's not what the majority is. But then again, neither are Mexicans or blacks, but I think you'd catch a lot of flack if you suggested "most people are generally uncomfortable" around them!

This storyline wouldn't work. I'm willing to bet most wrestlers would object to acting homophobic for a storyline because of the flack they would catch for it.

I don't see what being educated has to do with one's views on homosexuality. I don't even see how it makes you advanced, but hey, if you need to tell yourself these things, then cool. Whatever makes you happy? (Does my tolerance of you make me advanced? See what I did there?)

The point I would have to argue is the idea that the guys wouldn't want to be thought of as homophobic. I assure you, these guys know they are playing characters. Look at Shelton Benjamin last night. He went to a very racist rant about R-Truth. With both of them being black, I would assume that that would bother Benjamin more than being homophobic.

These guys know that they need to be booed to get over as heels, and a case of homophobia might do it. They know they are characters. There are homophobes on all kinds of TV shows, and they eventually find redemption, which in wrestling terms, sets up a turn. Turns generate excitement. Therefore, a heel get over as a heel, and then have it ready made to start out as over as a face.

This storyline would get way too much heat in the gay/lesbian community now a days than it would have 10 years ago.

10 years ago, being gay wasn't as accepted as it is now, which is why I don't think the storyline would work really in either time.

You'd have gay and lesbian groups coming out and criticizing the WWE for making gays look bad, and for having people act like their gay, and in turn likely use some of the stereotypes of gay people as well.

I agree, the LGBT community has become extremely active over the past year and would make a big deal out of the WWE portraying a serious gay character as a heel.

This kind of stoyline wouldn't work today because, in order to make it interesting and controversial, you'd have to pull out and use every negative gay stereotype out there and you simply can't get away with it anymore. Effeminate characters like Gorgeous George and Adrian Adonis in the last years of his career got over because they relied on those negative stereotypes and, let's be honest, bigotry to get their characters over. Doing anything remotely negative will bring out virtually the entire civil rights alphabet from the GLAAD to the ACLU. Besides, everyone's trying to be more kid friendly, primarily so they don't make the sponsors nervous. Ten or twelve years ago, back when WWE was pulling 6's and 7's in the Neilsen ratings each week, they could afford to lose some sponsors. It's definitely the same with TNA. They definitely don't pull in the numbers to risk losing some sponsors with such a controversial storyline right now.

Another reason why I think it wouldn't work is because the work ethic of a lot of young workers today pales when you compare it to those of years past. A lot of guys, especially guys that've made it big over the past 15 years and that are young up and comers today, just aren't willing to expose themselves in such a degree with that type of character. Everybody wants to be the super cool, ultra badass anti-hero type these days. Given the fact that bigotry against the gay community is still alive and well, I can't say that I'd really blame someone for not wanting to play a gay character.

This idea is interesting but I'm just not feeling it. I've always been a bigger fan of wrestlers whose gimmicks aren't too gimmicky. When I say that I mean gimmicks that are really just an extension of someone's preexisting personality. So unless the wrestler who uses this gimmick is actually gay in real life it'd just come off as a silly. Most gay people don't act extremely camp and I have a feeling that knowing the way wrestling is booked it'd eventually degenerate into that.

Also, in my experience with gay friends the actual act of being gay isn't that big a deal. It doesn't come up in conversations a lot and they usually don't even think about making it a topic of discussion. So a wrestler who builds himself up and then takes the time to out himself on the mic and make it a point of discussion? That's showy. If anything, I think the original poster's idea is too high brow for wrestling booking, unfortunately. If it could be done tastefully and in a subtle fashion I'd be all for it. But I fear that's asking too much from either Vince.

Vince staying non-contriversal? He has Santino dressed up like a woman. I mean that might get his some transexual fans or cross-dressing fans but I doubt it is as clean as Vince would like.

I do agree with you that it could be a good storyline for the most part because the gay community is so small in comparison to the strait community but for people like myself who have gay people in my family I wouldn't really care for it and think it would be in bad taste.

TNA beat you to this months ago. They signed but yet to debut, Cassandro aka Andromeda. He professes to legitimately be gay. His persona comes from a long line of Drag/Burlesque wrestlers in Mexico called Exoticos. Cassandro was really the first true exotico, bringing the over the top, flashy drag queen type stuff to wrestling. Cassandro had two dark matches in TNA but has yet to debut as Andromeda.

The reason you can't pull this off is because no one would take it seriously. Also, even though people are more open minded with the gay community, there still a majority that isn't. I mean if California is against gay people getting married then I'm sure it's not cool to bring into wrestling. WWE needs to get away from the entertainment soap opera bs and concentrate more on wrestling anyways. Goldust was a great character because he wasn't gay but made everyone believe he was with his character without actually saying anything. Just ask Chris Canyon how WWE treated him after they found out he was gay. An angle like that would split WWE right down the middle. It's like having a democratic character against a republican.

I think this could be a very good storyline. But the only problem is that nowadays WWE has a PG rating, so I don't think a storyline like this could be run. If this does take place, I think it could make someone a HUGE star, or ruin his career forever. Another problem is how the media would cover this. This may lead to WWE getting bad publicity.

I like the idea because its original and something that really hasn't been done. But unfortunately there's no way this idea would be able to fit into the whole "PG" Rating. Plus it would create lots of bad publicity for the WWE and could create a backlash from gays and lesbians.

I don't see what being educated has to do with one's views on homosexuality. I don't even see how it makes you advanced, but hey, if you need to tell yourself these things, then cool. Whatever makes you happy? (Does my tolerance of you make me advanced? See what I did there?)

Because educated people are less likely to be knuckle dragging bigots. Being ignorant leads to fear.

Vince staying non-contriversal? He has Santino dressed up like a woman. I mean that might get his some transexual fans or cross-dressing fans but I doubt it is as clean as Vince would like.

Please. That was hardly controversial compared to the stuff Vince has done over the years. Plus, it was all done in humor and with a comedic angle to it, so I really wouldn't consider it that "controversial".

If you want to talk controversy, we can talk:

Austin being crucified ... erm, I mean attached to the "Undertaker symbol".
Hot Lesbian Action.
A Transvestite who tried to proposition Mark Henry.
Vince McMahon gleefully walking by Booker T and saying "What's up, my *****?" (to John Cena)
Billy and Chuck's wedding
Beaver Cleavage
Vince forcing Trish Stratus to take off all her clothes in Washington DC

Absolutely nothing you see on TV today holds a candle to any of the stuff done back then

Actually the WWE tried that controversial lesbian storyline late in 2002.

That didn't work so well with TNN and some of the viewers watching RAW: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-91638187.html

The WWE kept trying to push the limit around these times(around after the brand split), but sadly, the "attitude" fad was slipping away and these controversial storylines did little to help.

I was thinking of a storyline that would be pretty edgy and controversial that would get people talking. The storyline would be of a wrestler from WWE or even TNA coming out of the closet. Im not talking about a comedy type gimmick like Rico or Billy and Chuck, but a serious gimmick. The wrestler who comes out would be a heel who lashes out at the fans and other wrestler because of their intolerance or nonacceptance of his life style.

I think the gimmick would work best on a no name wrestler to give him some momentum. The wrestler would debut as a typical talented up-and-comer or golden boy like Jack Swagger or Cena when he first debuted. At first they can put him over as a superbly talented athlete who has a bright future ahead of him. The they could film little segments here and there where he interacts with other stars but they comment that something is a little different about him. He should be pushed as a baby face and start a program with a mid-card heel. Someone like Regal or Benjamin. After a good few months questions would be raised by other stars about what they think is different about him. After he picks up a big win over a heel he cold grab the mic and cut a promo. He would talk about how he is having a great time in WWE and thanks the fans for their support. Then he says that he was worried at first about what people might think of him had they known the truth. He says that he feels comfortable in his own skin and that he now wants to open up to the people. This would be his coming out of the closet. At the end of his promo he would thank the fans for their acceptance and support.

Since there are lot of people who do not accept homosexuals, there would be some fans that would turn on him. Then they could film segments where other male wrestler begin to feel a little uncomfortable around him in the dressing room and backstage. Others would even feel uncomfortable in the ring with him. This could go on for a good couple of months before he begins to get frustrated and takes out his aggression on the guy he is having a match with. He attacks him with a chair and then grabs the mic. He lashes out on his fellow wrestlers and the fans for not accepting him because of his orientation. He would say that nothing about him has changed. He is an honest, hard working man that just wants to do what he loves, but can't because of people's fear of him. There would be a lot of truth to this gimmick because many people may dislike him because he is gay.

He would continue lashing out at the fans and their mis-treatment of him and attack other wrestlers who show signs of homo-phobia. If he gets over as a heel this will work well for a huge push. This wrestler would not be a stereotypical gay person who is feminine, but an average guy who just happens to like men. He would eventually transition into a sociopath.

Idk, do you think a gimmick like this would work? Whenever someone has had a gay-type gimmick it is always something comedic. It would be different to show a more serious approach. He could potentially draw a lot of heat by cutting promos saying that parents tell their kids not to cheer for him because he lives an indecent life-style. I think this gimmick would get people into his character. WOuld such a gimmick work?

This will never ever happen. Ever. Never ever. And not because Vince "doesn't have the balls to do it." It's because he has the smarts not to do it.

1) He can't win. The gay haters will say "A gay wrestler on ma wrestling show? I ain't watching this shit." The people who don't hate gay people will say "He has homophobic characters on his show? I ain't watching this shit."

2) You can't have the wrestlers portraying anything as culturally sensitive as homophobia. What kind of message is that sending to the children (who are the target audience, by the way) when their favorite wrestler is homophobic?

3) All kinds of hellaciously bad publicity. And this is probably the one type of publicity you don't want for your company. The media would eat Vince for breakfast. An openly gay wrestler being hated upon by other wrestlers? It's storyline, sure. But when the WWE presents storyline as the real face of the company, what do you expect?

You're basing his heel persona on the crowd hating him because he's gay? Not only that, but because he's beating up the people who are homophobic towards him? That would mean faces would have to be homophobic towards him. That just reinforces point 2 tenfold. Besides, I have never heard of a gay man being hated because he stood up for himself against homophobes.

And what kind of transition is that from gay to a sociopath? You're acting like it's reasonable, like it's a everyday heel progession. Really now.

While i liked the idea, this just wouldn't work well with the PG Era and Gays and Lesbians wouldn't take to kindly to the idea i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back