• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pop Music

My$terio_Fan

I can do whatever I want
While I know mainstream pop music isn't a favorite on this forum, but does anyone like it? Or at the least a few mainstream artists or songs?

Pop Music if my favorite type of music. It makes me happy listening to it, it's usually fun, upbeat, and very catchy. Most of it makes you want to dance and just be happy!

As for some of my favorite pop artists, I really love Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Lady GaGa, Kelly Clarkson, Lily Allen Natasha Bedingfield, and Leona Lewis. One of my favorite pop songs at the moment is "If u seek amy" by Britney Spears. It's such a great, fun, song and the lyrics are clever.
Another great pop song, is "Fuck You" by Lily Allen. This song is proof that even with a pop beat, and cutesy music a song can have great meaning.

So do any of you like pop music?(we won't judge)and if so what are some of your favorites?

Yes, I am huge fan of pop music. I, for one, don't really listen to music for lyrics. Rather, I listen to it mainly for how it sounds. So, if you have a good voice that is laid down against great beats/background music, I will probably like your music. As far as my favorite pop artists, here are a few: Craig David, Kylie Minogue, Danni Minogue, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Nelly Furtado, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry and a lot of others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Well technically speaking all music that is popular is pop music, this includes rock, rap and other types of music like, orchestral, Jazz and big Band. But as for the type that you are referring to it isn't that good in terms of the artistic merit that is produced by these people they are all for the pretty faces instead.

Well technically speaking all music that is popular is pop music, this includes rock, rap and other types of music like, orchestral, Jazz and big Band. But as for the type that you are referring to it isn't that good in terms of the artistic merit that is produced by these people they are all for the pretty faces instead.

This is true. While pop(mainstream top 40) might not be about being "artistic" and what not it still is very good music. I listen to music to be happy, dance, and to enjoy it. I really don't care if it's not going to change the world, as long as it's catchy and I enjoy listening to it that is all that matters. But some of these pop artists actually have some merit. They write(Katy, Lily, Beyonce, ect)and have some knowledge in music and are just not "pretty faces".

While I may not be a fan of pop music in it's entirety, there are a few acts I enjoy alot. Kate Nash is one of them what with her uber-hot, though fake, Cockney accent. Others include : Leona Lewis, Mariah (to an extent),Joss Stone (I assume she's considered pop), and The Corrs (same assumption as Joss). Like I said, I may be primarily a metalhead, but I do need to listen to pop from time to time, just to avoid bitch-slapping some of my customers at work!

This thread should be like, MY HOME, because I am in love with almost any kind of pop music. I've been exposed to all different kinds of music, in a variety of languages for that matter, and nothing compares to pop music, especially the recent stuff from new groups like Parralox. I know a lot of people critisize it, but there's just something about it, it's so alive, I can't but fall in love with it! I'm one of those people that could care less if the lyrics make no sense, if the singer can't sing, as long as the beat is hot, the rest just fades away. Sometimes music doesn't have to be for interpertation, it doesn't have to send this symbolic message about life, it can just be something to get you up and dancing, which is what I LOVE about pop music, it makes you do just that.

As for pop music I love, Britney is pretty much a given (Blackout pretty much signifies the epitome of electro/techno pop), but I love the new stuff too, almost anything from Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Parrolax- all really, really good.

Flames Out
Dragon

This thread should be like, MY HOME, because I am in love with almost any kind of pop music. I've been exposed to all different kinds of music, in a variety of languages for that matter, and nothing compares to pop music, especially the recent stuff from new groups like Parralox. I know a lot of people critisize it, but there's just something about it, it's so alive, I can't but fall in love with it! I'm one of those people that could care less if the lyrics make no sense, if the singer can't sing, as long as the beat is hot, the rest just fades away. Sometimes music doesn't have to be for interpertation, it doesn't have to send this symbolic message about life, it can just be something to get you up and dancing, which is what I LOVE about pop music, it makes you do just that.

As for pop music I love, Britney is pretty much a given (Blackout pretty much signifies the epitome of electro/techno pop), but I love the new stuff too, almost anything from Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Parrolax- all really, really good.

Flames Out
Dragon

Win. I'm not a big fan of music music, as most are fans due to the lyrics, the songs meaning, etc and people often don't get why I'm like that.

As long as it's got good beat, makes me want to dance... in my eyes, that's good music for me.

Well I do listen to pop music but I'm not really a massive fan of the kind of pop you have mentioned m_f with one exeption being Lady Gaga (I really like Poker Face) who I don't mind oh and also there's a couple of Britney Spears songs I don't mind (Toxic and My Perogative) but none of her newer stuff. However I do really like Pink and most of her stuff though. The pop music I prefer though is stuff like Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte etc, those sort of pop punk groups.

Shadow's right here too, it's no so much about the artistic value because I think that as a pop artist like Lady Gaga or Britney Spears, they're probably wanting to release something catchy, simple and upbeat instead of something complex, because that's what the whole pop, top 40 thing is about pretty much. Something catchy which you can sell to a large audience. Well it's what I would assume anyway. Although it's not exactly artistic in a way, there's no denying it's popularity.

I have an idea, suggest and review a pop album in my album suggestion and review thread ;)

Well I don't listen to much pop music myself, one in ten songs that make it big I will listen to, just for the sound. Umbrella- Rihanna is a classic example of this. I hate most of her music, and music that sounds similar to hers, but I love this song, and her other song, Unfaithful (Fuck, imagine the beating Brown would give her if she actually was!) because of how catchy they are. A lot of Britney songs I will shrug off, but some I do listen too. Lady Ga-ga's Poker Face is one of those songs I listen to all the times when I am in the mood, but for the most part, I don't listen to pop. Unless Taylor Swift is pop, because I credit her as one of the best talents on the music scene.

I for the most part dislike modern pop music if for no other reason than my complete disinterest with it. Basically I hear the songs and for one reason or another they don't hold my attention and eventually bore me. This boredom can be for a variety of reasons: musicality, presentation, artistic merit and ability, artist's persona/characterization be it public or private, theme, subject, message etc. Now when the music has more than one of these limitations it turns me off to it even faster. That said, I hold this standard to all the music I like and dislike within all genres equally.

This is true. While pop(mainstream top 40) might not be about being "artistic" and what not it still is very good music. I listen to music to be happy, dance, and to enjoy it. I really don't care if it's not going to change the world, as long as it's catchy and I enjoy listening to it that is all that matters. But some of these pop artists actually have some merit. They write(Katy, Lily, Beyonce, ect)and have some knowledge in music and are just not "pretty faces".

I'd have to say that if Lily Allen didn't write her own music than she would be disgracing the memory of her Godfather, Joe Strummer. All music has artistic merit, that is why they call them recording artists. but don't deny the fact that if Katy Perry, Lily Allen and Beyonce weren't attractive to people than they would have gotten as far within the music industry. They are marketable, not the music but them.

I'd have to say that if Lily Allen didn't write her own music than she would be disgracing the memory of her Godfather, Joe Strummer. All music has artistic merit, that is why they call them recording artists. but don't deny the fact that if Katy Perry, Lily Allen and Beyonce weren't attractive to people than they would have gotten as far within the music industry. They are marketable, not the music but them.

I agree you have to look good but Lily is usally called ugly by the media. Then there's girls like Amy Winehouse and Adelle who aren't really pretty. But you are right they probably wouldn't be half as successful if they weren't pretty, but that doesn't mean they can't have artistic merit. They write and produce and while you or others might not like the music or think it has meaning, some of it has great meaning behind it. But really personally I don't care about merit, I listen to music that sounds good to me, not music that means something super complicated or something. But that's just me(and millions others).

I'm not a huge fan of pop music, especially todays. But there are some artists who I do enjoy, such as Michael Jackson, Lemar and Robbie Williams. I don't mind a few of the radio hits here and there but it's not something I'd normally listen to, nor would I pursue checking more of that stuff out. Though some artists I do respect, such as Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis and Beyonce, who have absolutely phenomenal voices and know how to write huge epics, yet catchy hits. In the traditional sense, I enjoy some stuff such as The Ames Brothers, Frankie Vaughan and Nat "King" Cole.

I LOVE pop music in general, the usual 'Top 40'. Minus the dance shit thats in it, I can listen to any of it, and usually know the words to most of them. The songs are always catchy, and really entertaining. I can't understand why people bad mouth it so often - probably because it's 'cool' lately.

I hardly listen to straight pop music. Sometimes I might. I mean Avril Lavigne is cool(her older music is better. i.e My Happy Ending and Complicated. I only really like to Katy Perry songs and that I Kissed A Girl and Hot n Cold. Then sometimes I might listen to pop music cause of a song not a person.

I like some pop music. There's a lot of it that is catchy and upbeat. A lot of pop music is meant to be in an upbeat tune to make people feel happy.

Some of the pop artists I like are Mariah Carey. She has a great voice and her music is amazing.

Jessica Simpson, there's only a select few songs that I like from her. Mainly her duets with Nick Lachey. I like the romantic aspect to them.

Britney Spears, I enjoy a lot of her songs. Even though she went from miss innocent, to crazy, her music is still good. She still has a great voice. Plus I don't think there's a song she's done that isn't catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back