• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Politcal-Correctness At It's Finest

Viola Moonlight

I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
On this week's edition of Monday Night RAW, Degeneration X came out for a comedy skit with WWE Chairman Vince McMahon to celebrate his 64th birthday, a party unknown to the boss. During this segment, VKM used the word "gay" to describe the masks being used by the Cirque du Soleil performers saying something along the lines "Those masks are really gay" on National Television.

Now since that the homosexual issue in America is a very touchy issue coupled with the fact that the WWE is now going with this PG ratings approach to attract kids & pushing that the WWE is a family-friendly product, it seems as if VKM has been criticised for his use. If you need some information on it, check out the WrestleZone homepage.

My question is this. Does the use of the word "gay" really matter? Is this such a huge issue to be commenting? There are things a lot more worse than the word "gay" being thrown around, a few that I can point out from that shows Monday Night RAW. Big "Dick" Johnson's is a prime example as well as Mickie James' boxing outfit that revealed her wearing a thong [which I am NOT complaining about. I am just using an example. I am seriously, its Mickie James... in a thong... WHY COMPLAIN?] It just seems stupid to me that people are being over the top politcally-correct.

Any thoughts?

I actually thought Vince was commenting that the masks made the performers look homosexual, and thus was stating an opinion as opposed to using the word in a derogatory manner. I dislike it when people use the word "gay" and its related words in such manners, but I think that this was Vince being descriptive.

Pro wrestling has always been full of gay jokes. Vince loving cocks and dicks, wrestlers making innuendos at each other on the road. It's how it is.

I know I'm coming off as a basher, which I'm not. I am a very tolerant person and will fight for gay rights. I just thought that Vince was using it as a description rather than an insult.

And how did I miss Mickie James' thong? Beth Phoenix was really hot last night, too.

I am REALLY against Political Correctness as well. If I want to say something is "gay", I'll say it's gay. Those commercials that have the girls who say something looks "gay" and a customer says, "Yea, it's so Emma and Julia." and the end of the commercial it says, "Watch what you say." You know how I respond, "That commercial is gay!"
Don't tell me what to say, I've got the First Amendment, "Freedom of Speech". I have the right to say something is gay. And I use that expression often.

If Vince wants to say something, "looks gay", let him. If people are offended they'll stop watching, and if enough people stop watching, then a message will be sent. But I doubt that will happen.

I knew people were going to think GLAAD was over reacting. But I really don't think they were. WWE is presenting itself as PG and using gay as an insult is discrimination.

I know it has already been mentioned that he may not have meant it in a derogatory manner but I doubt that pre-teen viewers would realize that, if it were true.

People like you make me absolutely sick. I'm tired of you Politically Correct Liberal "Gay Lovers" who want to "Fight for Gay Rights".

Vince said what he said on Monday on purpose, because he too hates Liberals like you. His intention was to spite you commies and spit in your face, and I commend him for it. Thank God for Freedom of Speech!

And the more these Fruits keep up this "I'm so offended" act, the more hate will come their way. Let's face it, the reason people hate Gay people has nothing to do with their sexual escapades, but more to do with their Snobby, Elitist Attitudes and always playing the victim. Losers.

No really I couldn't disagree with you more. Well, I do agree on some stuff but the majority I don't.

#1. I am gay, and the word "fruit" makes me sound tropical, which I am not.
#2. Gay's would have nothing to complain about if we were treated as the equals we are.

Now onto the subject. Eh? I mean I really don't think it's a big deal. I mean it could offend some people, but I'd rather pick and choose my battles. I don't think Vince was trying to offend, but who knows.

He was using the word "gay" in a offensive/bad manner, so I guess that's why people are pissed. Him calling the performers or their masks "gay" was in a form of an insult, so it wasn't particularly nice to do. It sends the wrong message that being "gay" is bad, and with the PG rating and all the younger viewers it's probably not the best/nicest thing to do, but like I said before I support their descision to be pissed, but personally I could care less if he called them gay.

He was using the word "gay" in a offensive/bad manner, so I guess that's why people are pissed. Him calling the performers or their masks "gay" was in a form of an insult, so it wasn't particularly nice to do. It sends the wrong message that being "gay" is bad, and with the PG rating and all the younger viewers it's probably not the best/nicest thing to do, but like I said before I support their descision to be pissed, but personally I could care less if he called them gay.

Completely agree, why did he need to say it? It wasn't funny, this isn't the attitude era, he isn't trying to be edgy and is supposed to be pleasing a family audience. Now while I don't think it was a huge insult to gay people, it was certainly a stupid thing to do.

Vince used the word in a derogatory way trying to make it seem as though the performers were lesser people because they were wearing something that was 'gay'. People always moan about being too politically correct - but there's is not one single positive thing that came from Vince using the word gay in a negative way.

Vince should just apologise to GLAAD and move on, I doubt he was trying to offend and more likely trying to be funny. Maybe it's a bit of an overreaction, but he had to expect a reaction, there's no need to use the word gay in a derogatory manner when trying to please a pg audience, it makes no sense.

I'm going to have to take GLAAD's side on this one.

The reason why Gays are upset is because when the word "Gay" is used, it is purposefully used in a derogatory manner.

"That's so Gay."
"He walks so Gay."
"Those masks look Gay."

Let's face it. When Gay is used as an adjective, it is not used in a complimentary fashion, whatsoever. Rather it is meant to be derogatory.

One can not determine their sexuality. One does not "choose" to be Gay. Rather, they just are ... just like people are "just Straight". However, one can choose whether or not to act on his or her feelings or not. But that still does not negate the fact that orientation is not chosen.

So therefore, be that as it may, if Orientation is not chosen, and if you were born Gay .... put yourself in the perspective of Gay people. How would you like hearing derogatory Gay comments made in public about a characteristic of yours that you can not control?

If you were Gay, and Vince made a comment that was clearly derogatory about the word "Gay", chances are that you would be upset or offended.

I was really surprised to hear Vince make a comment like that, given the new direction of his programming.

Reactions: SK
I'm going to have to take GLAAD's side on this one.

The reason why Gays are upset is because when the word "Gay" is used, it is purposefully used in a derogatory manner.

"That's so Gay."
"He walks so Gay."
"Those masks look Gay."

Let's face it. When Gay is used as an adjective, it is not used in a complimentary fashion, whatsoever. Rather it is meant to be derogatory.

One can not determine their sexuality. One does not "choose" to be Gay. Rather, they just are ... just like people are "just Straight". However, one can choose whether or not to act on his or her feelings or not. But that still does not negate the fact that orientation is not chosen.

So therefore, be that as it may, if Orientation is not chosen, and if you were born Gay .... put yourself in the perspective of Gay people. How would you like hearing derogatory Gay comments made in public about a characteristic of yours that you can not control?

If you were Gay, and Vince made a comment that was clearly derogatory about the word "Gay", chances are that you would be upset or offended.

I was really surprised to hear Vince make a comment like that, given the new direction of his programming.
I completely agree with you. In fact, I don't allow anyone to say "that's gay" in any of my classes. I have already had to write up two different kids for saying it, and we haven't even been in school for a week. It's offensive, and saying bad=gay, then that's a homophobic slur, no doubt.

HOWEVER...

When Vince said it, I don't think it was a calculated saying on his part. I think it was just one of those things that slipped out of his mouth, spur of the moment. I can understand people being upset about it, but it didn't look at all like it was scripted, it was just an offhand remark, with no thought behind it.

So, with that being said, I really don't think people should get too upset about it. It's not like Vince has ever shown a serious disdain for homosexuals in his programming, regardless of what Chris Kanyon might say. So, while he shouldn't have said it, I'm not exactly ready to string him up for it.

I know some people may disagree with me which it's fine but I believe using the term "gay" is okay, that is if thhe environment is appropriate. I mean if people used the word "straight" the same way I'm sure no one would really care nor would I. When someone such as myself uses the word I don't say it to be offensive nor do I think of gay people when I say it. To me it's an accepted term with an alternative meaning and that is how many others may feel as well nor do I need people telling me how to speak. Just like some may find 'swears' offensive but a lot of times we don't say it to purposely offend others nor do we have negative intentions; it's just the way we talk. Saying one thing and your actual intentions are 2 completely different things.

Aside from my personal feelings, I do believe the term isn't appropriate if their shows are rated TV-PG but we see occasional senior moments with Vince. He probably slipped it by mistake. If Raw was still rated TV-14 then I wouldn't mind hearing the term used regularly but if you're PG then there is a line you can't cross with terms that are simply not allowed.

Oh come on now. It's okay for shows like South Park to use the term "gay" but it's not okay for it to be used in the WWE? There are other TV shows that uses the term more often than the WWE so give me a break. Better yet there are worse things on television than just hearing Vince slip the word "gay" just once yet some people are acting as if it's the end of the world.
Wait...who said it was okay for South Park to use the term "gay"? I know I sure as hell didn't.

But, I'll play along. Tell me, who exactly is the target audience of South Park? How does that target audience compare to the target audience of WWE?

I know some people may disagree with me which it's fine but I believe using the term "gay" is okay.
I take it you believe the word "******" is ok too? How about the word "spic"? Is that all right? Chinks? Japs? I take it you use all of those terms on a regular basis?

I mean if people used the word "straight" the same way I'm sure no one would really care nor would I.
And yet, people don't. In fact, the only sexual orientational term people use to describe something that is bad is "gay". So you see the problem?

When someone such as myself uses the word I don't say it to be offensive nor do I think of gay people when I say it. To me it's an accepted term with an alternative meaning and that is how many others may feel as well nor do I need people telling me how to speak.
Do you not see the problem when you equate "bad" with "gay"? Since when has it been acceptable to think that bad=gay?

Why don't you ever win the lottery and receive your 2 million dollar check and say "I'm so gay!"? Huh? After all, that would even be a technically accurate use of the word. So how come you wouldn't do that? How come you won't use it when something positive happens to you, only when something negative happens?

Just like some may find 'swears' offensive but a lot of times we don't say it to purposely offend others or have negative intentions; it's just the way we talk. Saying one thing and your actual intentions are 2 completely different things.
I'm sure the millions of black people in the United States are happy to hear you have no problem calling others "******s". After all, it's not REALLY your intention for it to sound bad, right?

This whole discussion is gay. The teacher who wriytes his students up for saying gay, is overly gay, and all the gay people who complain about this are Liberace gay. The term "gay" as something stupid has been around since the 80's and it isn't going anywhere. GLAAD can bitch and moan all they want, but if it showed up on "Sex and the City" they'd be laughing their asses off. And as for whoever says gays just want to be treated as equals is just trying to be a snobby elitist gay. If that's really the case I want a straight pride parade and a national straight day. Get over and just enjoy wrestling for what it is....entertainment. Christ

This whole discussion is gay. The teacher who wriytes his students up for saying gay, is overly gay, and all the gay people who complain about this are Liberace gay. The term "gay" as something stupid has been around since the 80's and it isn't going anywhere. GLAAD can bitch and moan all they want, but if it showed up on "Sex and the City" they'd be laughing their asses off. And as for whoever says gays just want to be treated as equals is just trying to be a snobby elitist gay. If that's really the case I want a straight pride parade and a national straight day. Get over and just enjoy wrestling for what it is....entertainment. Christ

Do you not think that Gays want to be treated as Equals? What makes you think they are lying when they say they "would like to be treated as an Equal Member of society" and how is that being "snobby" or "elitist"?

Some people clearly have the skill set to put themselves in other people's shoes and see the world through their eyes, and feel what they feel. Others, sadly, do not ... nor do they care as they are too self-centered ... since they've been raised in a household and surrounded by peers who are often times homophobic.

This whole discussion is gay.
Actually, I find nothing happy about this conversation, and think it's quite sad you do.

The teacher who wriytes his students up for saying gay, is overly gay
I have sex with more women in one night than you do in a year. But hey, I guess there's always your left hand, right?

and all the gay people who complain about this are Liberace gay.
This doesn't even make sense.

The term "gay" as something stupid has been around since the 80's and it isn't going anywhere.
And the term "******" has been around for hundreds of years and isn't going anywhere. Is it your opinion then that the word "******" is ok for everyday usage?

GLAAD can bitch and moan all they want, but if it showed up on "Sex and the City" they'd be laughing their asses off.
Just like South Park, could you please examine the difference in the target audience of Sex and the City and the WWE?

And as for whoever says gays just want to be treated as equals is just trying to be a snobby elitist gay. If that's really the case I want a straight pride parade and a national straight day.
You're right. How dare someone who is not exactly like you expect to be treated as favorably as you! Damn it, your ancestors hundreds of years ago worked HARD for centuries to give you the right to be an ignorant snob. How dare these people work for equality. :suspic:

I don't mind hearing gay being used like that its a very common thing on tv now days but vince seemed to be out of focus trying to think of something to say so it sliped out no big deal i think if they want to complain about something with the program sopose to be pg complain about DX telling people to suck it.

They want to be treated as equals and they deserve to be treated as equal. It's not for us to judge homosexuals and ostracize them because it's not what we believe. You're coming off very narrow-minded and prejudiced here.

On the topic at hand, it seemed like Vince wasn't trying to deliberately say it. It just seemed to slip out. He should apologize nonetheless and make sure it doesn't happen again especially since we are in the PG era.

Wait...who said it was okay for South Park to use the term "gay"? I know I sure as hell didn't.

But, I'll play along. Tell me, who exactly is the target audience of South Park? How does that target audience compare to the target audience of WWE?

Different audiences which I modified my previous post and corrected myself stating it's okay if it's used in the appropriate environments.

I take it you believe the word "******" is ok too? How about the word "spic"? Is that all right? Chinks? Japs? I take it you use all of those terms on a regular basis?

And yet, people don't. In fact, the only sexual orientational term people use to describe something that is bad is "gay". So you see the problem?

Do you not see the problem when you equate "bad" with "gay"? Since when has it been acceptable to think that bad=gay?

Why don't you ever win the lottery and receive your 2 million dollar check and say "I'm so gay!"? Huh? After all, that would even be a technically accurate use of the word. So how come you wouldn't do that? How come you won't use it when something positive happens to you, only when something negative happens?

I'm sure the millions of black people in the United States are happy to hear you have no problem calling others "******s". After all, it's not REALLY your intention for it to sound bad, right?

I modified my last message to correct myself stating I believe it's okay that is if it's used in the appropriate environment. I feel you're taking some of my statements out of context just to make me look like a homophobic. If those were your intentions then you're wrong. If not, sorry.

In other words I was saying there is always a right and wrong place for certain things. Yes Vince was wrong for using it in the wrong environment because of the audience they are targeting seeing I wouldn't find it appropriate for children. But in general we can't control what people say. There are countless of terms people may find offensive that aren't exactly targeting a race or sexual pref. I grew up racism directed towards me. I could care less how someone speaks or their beliefs as long as what I watch is safe towards my beliefs and as long as those around me don't offend me.

Just to add another side to the argument:

Has anyone stopped to think maybe Vince was using the antiquated form of the word "gay"? I mean, maybe he really thought the masks made the performers look happy.

As for GLAAD, no, I honestly don't think they were overreacting at all. The man used the word to describe something in an apparently disparaging form. He should in some way offer up a public apology. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I am guilty of a slip, so I can't come down terribly hard on him, lest I look like a hypocrite. Just as Vince has the right to Free Speech, so does GLAAD to fight hate speech.

Just to add another side to the argument:

Has anyone stopped to think maybe Vince was using the antiquated form of the word "gay"? I mean, maybe he really thought the masks made the performers look happy.

:lol:

Nice, could be true, but I doubt it, but nice. Anyways I was nonplussed about it. It didn't bother me one way or the other. However I can see why some would find it upsetting. He shouldn't have said it, even if it was a slip of the mouth. We all do it, but maybe he should possibly make a small apology about it, I think that will sooth everything over. I don't think he did on purpose, but either way it shouldn't have happened, especially not in the PG era.

Personally, I was absolutely disgusted when Vince said that. I looked at the TV in disbelief and simply said "Really Vince? Really?"

What the fuck was Vince thinking? Is he really THAT behind the times that he doesn't realize saying something like that is only going to offend people? Does he think homosexuals don't like wrestling or something?

I hope Vince gets a ton of shit for it, because it was stupid, uncalled for, and crude at best. He could have simply used the word "stupid" instead of "gay". I get the feeling Vince is probably an incredibly homophobic man though; would go hand-in-hand with the rest of his neo-Conservative political views.

Add this to the list as yet another reason for me to dislike Vince McMahon.

I really don't care about it. I don't think anyone I know would call me a homophobe. It's just a word.

Here's the difference between "gay" and "******." ****** has been used for years as a word to keep black people down. Gay is a word that people use to describe gay people. Calling a black person "******" is offensive. Calling a gay person gay is accurate. He didn't call them ****, which would be the equivalent of calling them ******.

The gay people I know say stuff is gay all the time. The word gay doesn't play on negative stereotypes. The way Vince used it can be described as crude, and probably not a good idea, but I think this is more of a case of people drumming up a reason to be offended instead of actually being offended.

Like M_F said, pick your battles. It was an off handed remark, that I am sure he wishes he could have back, and it was uncalled for.

I say it all the time. And when my friends leave a shitty tip, I look at them say, "Hey, I'm the Jew here."

Like I said, he probably shouldn't have said it, but there comes a point when the fury becomes misdirected, and this is one of those times.

I like that X used the word "crude" here, because it's a good definition. But I don't think he called anyone a ****** or even tried to offend. He was trying to be funny and missed the mark.

Go ahead Sly and X, tell me how I am a dirty redneck and a homophobe. I'll laugh about it with the gay guy at work over some drinks tomorrow night. That guy is an awesome wingman, and he tells me that the girls I like look like drag queens. (Big blond hair and a bit too much makeup.) I tell him he likes manly men and that I should stop drinking before I give in. We both call things "gay." It's just a word, and not one historically used to keep an entire group of people down.

Where as I agree that "***/******" is the true equivalent to "******" as opposed to the word "Gay" ... the word "Gay" is the equivalent to the word "Black".

And just like the adjective "Black" can be used as a fair way to describe someone's skin color, it also is used very frequently in a derogatory sense, as well.

"Definitely not planning on moving to this Black neighborhood."
"That's a Black store. I'm not going in there."
"Why do you act so Black?"
"Get your Black ass out of here!"

The word "Gay" can be used as a true way to describe someone's sexuality, but I don't know who is honestly going to disagree that more often than not, the word "Gay" in our society is used in a derogatory sense far more often than it is used in a neutral sense.

I agree. I don't think he should have said it. I just think that there are far more harmful things he could have said and this is drummed up anger.

It's just a word, and not one historically used to keep people down. The word gay, in that context, doesn't even really refer to homosexuality. It's just a word.

"Crude" was the perfect definition. Vince is guilty of using a homophone more than he is guilty of being a homophobe.

Oh for fucks sake. We got a 2 trillion deficit, Obama is about to bankrupt the US, unemployment is sinking lower every month, AIDS still hasn't been cured, the legal system is a joke, and I'm supposed to give a fuck if a grown man calls something gay?

To each and every one of you that seems a problem. Grow a pair of fucking balls. I am so sick and tired of todays society. Everything is bad now. Oh, can't say gay, that's offensive. Can't say black, that's offensive, Can't say cripple, that's offensive. Can't say ******, that's offensive. Can't say this, can't say that cause it MIGHT hurt somewons fweelings. Awwwwww poor little babies. And then we wonder why kids don't want to leave the house at 18 and spend their whole lives working at McDonalds. Cause their fucked up parents told them to be a sniveling little crybaby about a bunch of words.

Jesus, our country is turning into a giant pile of *****es. I'm not saying beat up a crippled kid, or kill a gay person, I have two gays in my family and I love them to death. But enough is enough. It's a word people. A fucking three letter word. That wouldn't EVER have meant shit if somebody didn't overreact about it in the first place. I'm kinda short. 5'9. Does that mean I get butt hurt and cry when somebody makes a short joke? No.

hell I'm a 1/4 Indian. I don't get hurt people on tv, or movies, or live events say injuns. I don't. Why bother? It's a word. A useless word, unless you turn it into something else. I'm white,call me a cracker honky trailer park trash bum all ya want. Don't care. I know I'm not so who cares what anybody thinks.

Vince commented that the dancers masks were gay. Obviously the odds are dancers like that are going to be more gay than straight. So if the person wearing the mask is indeed gay,then by default it's a gay mask. Right? Exactly. But instead of just not giving a crap, we have to all get hurt cause Vince said gay? Really? He didn't say queer, ***, homo.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm gonna be banned soon. I'm sure Ill be ripped a new buttocks by a few here, or most.

What's sad is most gay people DON'T care about this petty shit. They are too busy trying to fight for marriage rights, gay abuse acts, ya know important shit. They could care less if a guy calls something gay on TV.

Oh and please don't "flame" me or else I might have to contact Rosie.

Oh for fucks sake. We got a 2 trillion deficit, Obama is about to bankrupt the US, unemployment is sinking lower every month, AIDS still hasn't been cured, the legal system is a joke, and I'm supposed to give a fuck if a grown man calls something gay?

To each and every one of you that seems a problem. Grow a pair of fucking balls. I am so sick and tired of todays society. Everything is bad now. Oh, can't say gay, that's offensive. Can't say black, that's offensive, Can't say cripple, that's offensive. Can't say ******, that's offensive. Can't say this, can't say that cause it MIGHT hurt somewons fweelings. Awwwwww poor little babies. And then we wonder why kids don't want to leave the house at 18 and spend their whole lives working at McDonalds. Cause their fucked up parents told them to be a sniveling little crybaby about a bunch of words.

Jesus, our country is turning into a giant pile of *****es. I'm not saying beat up a crippled kid, or kill a gay person, I have two gays in my family and I love them to death. But enough is enough. It's a word people. A fucking three letter word. That wouldn't EVER have meant shit if somebody didn't overreact about it in the first place. I'm kinda short. 5'9. Does that mean I get butt hurt and cry when somebody makes a short joke? No.

hell I'm a 1/4 Indian. I don't get hurt people on tv, or movies, or live events say injuns. I don't. Why bother? It's a word. A useless word, unless you turn it into something else. I'm white,call me a cracker honky trailer park trash bum all ya want. Don't care. I know I'm not so who cares what anybody thinks.

Vince commented that the dancers masks were gay. Obviously the odds are dancers like that are going to be more gay than straight. So if the person wearing the mask is indeed gay,then by default it's a gay mask. Right? Exactly. But instead of just not giving a crap, we have to all get hurt cause Vince said gay? Really? He didn't say queer, ***, homo.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm gonna be banned soon. I'm sure Ill be ripped a new buttocks by a few here, or most.

What's sad is most gay people DON'T care about this petty shit. They are too busy trying to fight for marriage rights, gay abuse acts, ya know important shit. They could care less if a guy calls something gay on TV.

Oh and please don't "flame" me or else I might have to contact Rosie.

...Wow. Congratulations sir, you've just won the insensitive prick award! Come on down and accept your Golden Douche!

Are you really sitting here and defending hate speech. Vince CLEARLY used the word gay in a derogatory manner. That is wrong. What the fuck does the economy have to do with this? Does the fact that people are living in tent-camps have fucking ANYTHING to do with hate speech? Nope, not a god damn thing.

Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated, ever, especially on an international broadcast of a television show. It's despicable. If you think we're just being "*****es", well, that's too fucking bad, sorry we can't be as tough and cool as you man! I guess black people should just stop being so sensitive when people call them the N word, right? What a bunch of fucking *****es huh.

Grow a heart. Or a brain. Either works.

And if the homosexuals really want to be "treated" equally, then they need to deal with this shit. Blacks get called "******s" and racial profiling, and police abuse. Chinese people are ALWAYS "chinks". Superheros are always men. Well 99% are. A woman will never be president even if she deserves it. I'll never bang Megan Fox. Life isn't fair, life isn't equal.Nobody is equal. There is always a favorite. You make due with what you got. You don't go around getting teary eyed every time somebody says something you may not like. You let it roll off, and enjoy your day. You think Vince cares that somebody might be hurt over this? No. So why should the gays care. "It's only a word and I know I'm not that, so lets grab some dinner".

Or you can always be negative and put yourself into an early grave

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back