Pokémon Non-Spam Discussion Thread

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
Throughout the forums there have been several miniature Pokémon discussions that have gone on however I thought that having a general discussion thread in the Media Hub would be a good idea because there's a lot new in the realm of Pokémon and it's a big draw so hopefully people end up using this thread especially for when the new games come out.

Also: Warning: Nintendo and the Pokémon have publicly announced several facets of the new game to which many have already been mentioned on the forums. However for the players who want to keep their first run through of the games clean I'd recommend NOT viewing this thread.

With that being said there's a few things I'd like to discuss right now before more information is released. (I'll also be adding updates to this thread as it goes)

X and Y Topics
The Fossil Pokémon: look absolutely stunning. Tytantrum looks totally bad-ass but it's foil in an ice rock fossil is cool to as I feel based on looks people will lean more towards the rock dragon, but in skills I think ice rock is better. However, I'm suer pumped for them because they look like the best fossil pokemon yet.

Team Flare, look to be very creepy. At first I wasn't completely sold on the idea of Pokémon for money however with more revealed I am super excited to see "creating a beautiful world" plays into the entire game. With the previous two pokemon villains being pretty scary I'm intrigued to see what they do with this one. I have an odd feeling we might officially see someone die on camera for once. And yes I know that's not very Pokémon like but it's bound to happen eventually.

Also they announced EXP for catching Pokémon. I am super excited abut this as it will make training and obtaining guys much more efficient.

The Mega Evolutions I'm still not completely sold on as I'm more of a traditionalist you could say in that I like my starters untouched and unspoiled. But I think I'll need to wait and see to be sure.

Pokémon Card Game

They updated the new starter decks to be filled with fairy energy cards as well as bonus packs to be attached with X and Y starter sets. I don't play with the cards anymore so I personally could care less but if I was younger it be cool.

Pokémon TV Show

They released a trailer for the X and Y season of Pokémon and they entire thing had a different vibe to it than usual. It seemed a lot more dark and violent and had Ash jumping off a building to save Pikachu with helicopters out looking like there was a crime scene. Also, it appears (at least from the trailer) that Ash will get a Froakie (thank god) which I'm down for. In general though this looks very different than happy Declora Adventures.

Anyways discuss anything you want about Pokémon in a Non Spam form. I'll probably comment on any discussion so if anyone wants to talk about anything Pokémon related a do know a lot so use this thread for Pokémon discussion.

I haven't seen any of the TV show for a few years now. Does Ash still just use Pikachu to win every battle? That really grinded my gears as a kid.

Gonna pick up X myself and thinking of starting with Froakie. I feel the designs of the Pokemon for this generation look a lot better. I was getting a bit annoyed with just these oddball pokemon, although they still have that one that looks like a sword.

I haven't seen any of the TV show for a few years now. Does Ash still just use Pikachu to win every battle? That really grinded my gears as a kid.

Gonna pick up X myself and thinking of starting with Froakie. I feel the designs of the Pokemon for this generation look a lot better. I was getting a bit annoyed with just these oddball pokemon, although they still have that one that looks like a sword.

Actually a general complaint of the last season animé was that Ash lost too much. In essence this is true and actually the season portrayed him at his weakest yet. Also Pikachu was reset at the start of the season thanks to a blast from Zekrom. Now whether or not it's been reset is unclear but yah he's been losing a lot more.

Actually a general complaint of the last season animé was that Ash lost too much. In essence this is true and actually the season portrayed him at his weakest yet. Also Pikachu was reset at the start of the season thanks to a blast from Zekrom. Now whether or not it's been reset is unclear but yah he's been losing a lot more.

Oh right, that's interesting then. It just always bugged me, especially in the Kanto region, that Ash caught all these awesome pokemon and then whenever he looked in trouble, a thundershock from Pikachu would save the day.

I did see someone on my twitter, whose kept up with it way more than me, bemoan the fact Ash was losing way more when his experience at this point should have him look stronger.

Oh right, that's interesting then. It just always bugged me, especially in the Kanto region, that Ash caught all these awesome pokemon and then whenever he looked in trouble, a thundershock from Pikachu would save the day.

I did see someone on my twitter, whose kept up with it way more than me, bemoan the fact Ash was losing way more when his experience at this point should have him look stronger.

Well I mean he didn't really win anything big the entire season. Lost in a round earlier than DP in a 6 on 5 battle. Struggled against the gyms, and caught more Pokemon who he barely decided to evolve. It wasn't a great showing by Ash and the writers really screwed up how people perceive him. Considering the first half of the season his companions thought he was a novice trainer didn't help his cause.

HOWEVER, there is still hope. With one official episode left in the season we might actually see him turn himself around. The Episode is called "my goal; Pokemon master" and it takes place at Oak's lab which means all his former Pokemon will be there and from what has been said about X and Y on how their bringing back an emphasis on older Pokemon I can't help but feel like this next season we'll see variations of his older teams, plus an emphasis on winning. If this happens I think people will be generally pleased and I would love him to finally get his act together as a Pokemon Master.

Well I mean he didn't really win anything big the entire season. Lost in a round earlier than DP in a 6 on 5 battle. Struggled against the gyms, and caught more Pokemon who he barely decided to evolve. It wasn't a great showing by Ash and the writers really screwed up how people perceive him. Considering the first half of the season his companions thought he was a novice trainer didn't help his cause.

HOWEVER, there is still hope. With one official episode left in the season we might actually see him turn himself around. The Episode is called "my goal; Pokemon master" and it takes place at Oak's lab which means all his former Pokemon will be there and from what has been said about X and Y on how their bringing back an emphasis on older Pokemon I can't help but feel like this next season we'll see variations of his older teams, plus an emphasis on winning. If this happens I think people will be generally pleased and I would love him to finally get his act together as a Pokemon Master.

That sounds pretty promising, might have to check that episode out for nostalgia's sake.

Are you getting X or Y? And which starter you going with?

Honestly a lot of the X/Y Pokemon are really impressing me at the moment.. I love that they aren't as cartoony as the B/W Pokmeon (Timburr line anyone?) and things like Talonflame, Noivern and Pangoro look really cool. Mind you there's still some terrible things in there (Hellioptile?) but all in all it's looking pretty good.

As far as what Klinz asked I'm still unsure on my starter. I liked Fenekin a lot to begin with but all of the second stagers kinda disappointed me. I'll wait on the final evo's to be released before I decide I think. At least maybe, maybe we won't see a Fire/Fighting starter for the first time in ages.

Also Mega Evolutions~!

I have not played Pokemon since Diamond.... but I enjoyed the older games in the series. I caught all 151 in Blue, all 251 in Gold, and all 493 in Diamond. I'll admit to using gameshark for "event" ones like Mew/Celebi/etc but everything else I caught legitimately. For me Pokemon is not complete until you catch everything. Not trading with someone to turn on a species' Pokedex entry, I mean actually having one permanently unless it evolves. I didn't catch them all in the third generation, but I did go through the whole game using nothing but my Blaziken. That was fun.

My crowning achievement though wasn't my 493 Pokemon in the Diamond version. It was my undefeated tag team of Jenova the Mewtwo and Sephiroth the Rayquaza. Those two species are powerful enough on level 100 when placed into a double battle to defeat their unfortunate victims. However these two had been set up to where they were super effective against every single type in the game. Due to their move lists one or the other would be effective no matter what type the victim was. I retired from Pokemon after that and have considered coming back, but with working full time and married life, I just do not have the time to devote to catching all however many there are now.

Then there was the time I used a Rare Candy on Missing Number. I'm under the impression most everyone here knows what Missing Number was? It evolved into a Kangaskhan. Not just any Kangaskhan though.... One that knows Water Gun and Sky Attack. I nicknamed it Racecar. I was battling with a classmate who I let nearly defeat me so as to surprise him, knowing his best at the time was a Machamp. He was down to just his Machamp eventually and I let him defeat everyone but Racecar, who I then sent out. He thought he had won due to Normal being weak against Fighting. Sky Attack took him down in one turn, his jaw dropped.... It's been about 13 years and to this day he still refuses to play any game against me.

I watched the show some as a kid, but only the first (and possibly second, I don't remember) season, and at one point had a few of the cards although that was not really my cup of tea. I much preferred the games and using my teams (made up of mostly legendaries) to squash any challenger.

While I do not watch the show other than season 1 and have not played the newer games, I know quite a bit about the older ones and can jump into the discussion when the oldschool Pokemon topics come up, or provide a few of my own.

That sounds pretty promising, might have to check that episode out for nostalgia's sake.

Are you getting X or Y? And which starter you going with?

I think I'm going to get Pokemon Y unless something really changes my mind at the last minute. From what I can tell overall I personally like the Pokemon exclusive to Y a bit better than I do X, plus my brother likes the X pokemon better and so we decided we'd do opposite games. Granted I don't see him realy at all considering our age difference but I'd like to at the very least remain this to my word.

As for the starter Pokemon I'm personally leaning towards Froakie right now. Normally I'd go for the Fire starter first but there's some sort of appeal to Froakie got me that I really like. I feel like Chespin had potential but than was all lost when they announced secondary evolution. He honestly looks like he evolves into a grass pignite which I'm not thrilled about one bit.

I think I'm going to get Pokemon Y unless something really changes my mind at the last minute. From what I can tell overall I personally like the Pokemon exclusive to Y a bit better than I do X, plus my brother likes the X pokemon better and so we decided we'd do opposite games. Granted I don't see him realy at all considering our age difference but I'd like to at the very least remain this to my word.

As for the starter Pokemon I'm personally leaning towards Froakie right now. Normally I'd go for the Fire starter first but there's some sort of appeal to Froakie got me that I really like. I feel like Chespin had potential but than was all lost when they announced secondary evolution. He honestly looks like he evolves into a grass pignite which I'm not thrilled about one bit.

Yeah that's cool, I like the look of the legendary in X, plus my best friend is getting Y, so it won't be a problem to trade.

I usually start fire or water and feel bad because I should probably roll with a grass type some time, but depending on how early we get the Kanto starters, I might choose Bulbasaur.

Yeah that's cool, I like the look of the legendary in X, plus my best friend is getting Y, so it won't be a problem to trade.

I usually start fire or water and feel bad because I should probably roll with a grass type some time, but depending on how early we get the Kanto starters, I might choose Bulbasaur.

I'm actually really intrigued about the Kanto starters as well. From what I've read and I believe it's confirmed, the first time you meet the Professor you get them so whenever that is in the game may influence the decision. If I pick Froakie first I'll almost certainly take Bulbasaur as a grass with littleo being my fire, however I'm also considering taking Chespin (pending final evolution) and going Charizard route with the mesmerizing squid Pokemon being my water. However it all depends, I'll probably change my mind a hundred times before I decide on anything.

Me and my roommate are organizing an eight man tournament 5 hours after we all start the game so I'm going to be entirely strategic in my choices. (We're all starting at the same time too)

I'm actually really intrigued about the Kanto starters as well. From what I've read and I believe it's confirmed, the first time you meet the Professor you get them so whenever that is in the game may influence the decision. If I pick Froakie first I'll almost certainly take Bulbasaur as a grass with littleo being my fire, however I'm also considering taking Chespin (pending final evolution) and going Charizard route with the mesmerizing squid Pokemon being my water. However it all depends, I'll probably change my mind a hundred times before I decide on anything.

Me and my roommate are organizing an eight man tournament 5 hours after we all start the game so I'm going to be entirely strategic in my choices. (We're all starting at the same time too)

That sounds pretty awesome. Yeah it is confirmed, not sure how soon you meet the Professor because it's usually very early on.

I'm liking the look of Pyroar for my fire-type. But way back in Red/Blue I took Squirtle as my starter and have never chosen Bulbasaur, so I think it's overdue.

That sounds pretty awesome. Yeah it is confirmed, not sure how soon you meet the Professor because it's usually very early on.

I'm liking the look of Pyroar for my fire-type. But way back in Red/Blue I took Squirtle as my starter and have never chosen Bulbasaur, so I think it's overdue.

Talking on the lines of picking teams right now, I'm intrigued to see what I decide to do with the fairy factor. I'm thinking that since this is the generation they came out in they're bound to be a bit strong so it'll probably be a good idea to have some sort of fairy on the team.

Based on what I know so far which in the grand scheme of things isn't incredibly much I'd venture to guess my 5 hour team line will look something like:

Frogadier (fully evolved)
Venasuar (depending on when you get him)
Talonflame
Pyroar
Dedenne
Malamar (who is actually dark physic.

I feel like as if right now I'd have a strategically good team if I used those combinations. It seems like that be a good team.

Talking on the lines of picking teams right now, I'm intrigued to see what I decide to do with the fairy factor. I'm thinking that since this is the generation they came out in they're bound to be a bit strong so it'll probably be a good idea to have some sort of fairy on the team.

Based on what I know so far which in the grand scheme of things isn't incredibly much I'd venture to guess my 5 hour team line will look something like:

Frogadier (fully evolved)
Venasuar (depending on when you get him)
Talonflame
Pyroar
Dedenne
Malamar (who is actually dark physic.

I feel like as if right now I'd have a strategically good team if I used those combinations. It seems like that be a good team.

Yeah I think you'll be right about fairy types, they might be a bit over-powered, although the devs have said they feel this is the most balanced game yet, so we'll see.

That is a strong looking team though for 5 hours.

Yeah I think you'll be right about fairy types, they might be a bit over-powered, although the devs have said they feel this is the most balanced game yet, so we'll see.

That is a strong looking team though for 5 hours.

Honestly I've been a huge Pokemon fan for about 15 years now. I've probably played over 200 unique "adventures" and I'm one of those losers who enjoys playing Pokemon first runs just for speed, followed by runs of great exploration. I'm not quite sure how fast experience leveling will to but it's been announced that this will be one of the easiest Pokemon training games out of them all so I can only assume getting guys in the 36 range is actually quite possible. Of course with cut scenes and speech it may be a lot more or less but in general after playing 5 hours of Pokemon I can generally have around 7 gym badges and guys around 40. Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts is really the video games I would consider myself to be pro of, and I proud myself on being rather experienced at both.

Honestly I've been a huge Pokemon fan for about 15 years now. I've probably played over 200 unique "adventures" and I'm one of those losers who enjoys playing Pokemon first runs just for speed, followed by runs of great exploration. I'm not quite sure how fast experience leveling will to but it's been announced that this will be one of the easiest Pokemon training games out of them all so I can only assume getting guys in the 36 range is actually quite possible. Of course with cut scenes and speech it may be a lot more or less but in general after playing 5 hours of Pokemon I can generally have around 7 gym badges and guys around 40. Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts is really the video games I would consider myself to be pro of, and I proud myself on being rather experienced at both.

Nah that's cool, i'm a terrible competitive Pokemon player because I choose my favourite over the most effective a lot of the time. I'll probably take it slow just because there's a million things at the moment and they're all grabbing for my attention.

I do love Kingdom Hearts series, although I haven't played Dream Drop Distance yet. Bet you're looking forward to KH3 then? Although when we'll see that is anyones guess.

Nah that's cool, i'm a terrible competitive Pokemon player because I choose my favourite over the most effective a lot of the time. I'll probably take it slow just because there's a million things at the moment and they're all grabbing for my attention.

I do love Kingdom Hearts series, although I haven't played Dream Drop Distance yet. Bet you're looking forward to KH3 then? Although when we'll see that is anyones guess.

Dream Drop Descent is actually an amazing game.

Related to Pokemon however, I find that if you can blend a mix if favorites with effectiveness you get the most fun. For example I'm picking Froakie cause quite frankly he's my favorite of the starters. Pyroar, I want because I've always wanted a lion Pokemon. So shat do I do? I try adjusting my strategy to include them. For me a happy balance is necessary and if you're not having fun playing video games than you're doing something wrong so although I go for speed I find it fun for me.

This came into my head and figured that maybe somebody would find it insightful so I'm going to write it down.

Everyone who knows Pokémon knows of how powerful Arceus is and how interesting that when he has a different plate he has different powers seems. We already know that you'll be able to move massive amount of Pokémon from older games to X and Y through the Pokémon bank as well. So when Arceus shows up in this new game what's the chance that there is a fairy plate? I know the matter is trivial but I'd love to see a fairy Arceus however I'm curious how'd they work the color considering there's already a pink Arceus form.

I know the matter is trivial but I'd love to see a fairy Arceus however I'm curious how'd they work the color considering there's already a pink Arceus form.

arceus.png

If you are referring to the Psychic form it looks more magenta than pink, so a pink Arceus for the Fairy form is still possible if they go with a brighter shade. Arceus is definitely my favorite of the newer Pokemon, although Mewtwo and Rayquaza will always be my overall favorites.

So the starter final evo's have been leaked recently, along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

Fire/Psychic, Water/Dark and Grass/Fighting are all really interesting types I feel. I think I now like Froakie the best since the final form looks cool, but so does Fenekin's

Also new Mega's out there too, including a Fire/Dragon Charizard~!

My favorite Pokemon have gotta be Psyduck and Vulpix. Their opposing nature's really define my Pokemon life. Psyduck with his/her quirkiness and inner reserves of strength, and Vulpix with his/her stoic beauty and fiery temper. It's always fun making Psyduck and Vulpix babies in the training centers.

eevee-evolutions.jpg

This could have been a topic of its own, but since we already have a big Pokemon Non-Spam discussion thread, let's talk about Eevee in here now!

I liked Jolteon the best initially, it learned a lot of different types of moves to make it effective against a lot of its opponents. Vaporeon comes in second out of the original 3 evolutions, it had a ton of health which to me made it more useful than Flareon.

Espeons were rather powerful, they became my favorite Eevee evolution in Gold and remain my favorite now. Umbreons aren't bad either though. I never really use Leafeon or Glaceon beyond obtaining the evolutions in Diamond, so if I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be one of them.

Rumors say there is a new Eevee form coming, Sylveon, a Fairy type.

Alright, let's hear it guys.... Which Eevee form is your favorite, and what about your least favorite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back