• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

POINT BLANK, the greatest of all time!

I have to disagree Hogan was no where near a mat tech period..I too was a little Hulkamaniac but let's be realistic.Hogan was good sports entertainer he could talk on the mic,did his WWF style of wrestling with basic moves,and five standout ones..

While flair was a mat tech ,could talk on the Mic,And in his day was more hated then Vince...flair would also be the top bad guy in the wrestlers business Ie the dirtiest player in the Game

Watch some of his matches in the 70s and 80s and tell me he wasn't a great technical wrestler. He may have had a "limited moveset" most of his career but his career still surpasses Flair's.

Flair was an okay heel but he wasn't as great as Hogan in the nWo nor Vince McMahon.

NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR BY FAR!: WHAT THE OBSESSION WITH HOGAN IS? YOU SEE HOGAN IS MAYBE THE BEST DRAWER IN HISTORY, NOT THE BEST WRESTLER DAMN IT! HOGAN DOESN'T EVEN WRESTLE, AND SOME OF YOU SAY THAT WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT "PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING" IS, SHOULD PICK HOGAN, BUT LET ME TELL YOU THAT HOGAN CAN BE ANYTHING, BUT IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL, YOU THINK THAT USING BACKSTAGE POWER TO KEEP THE TITLE ALWAYS AND NOT ALLOW YOUNG GUYS TO COME TO THE TOP (IN WCW) IS BEING A PROFESSIONAL? COME ON! HOGAN IS THE LESSER PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER IN HISTORY, A TRUE PROFESSIONAL ACCEPTS THAT HE HAS TO DROP THE TITLE AND DROPS IT!

NOW TALKING ABOUT A TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND THE GREATEST THE GREATEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME RIC FLAIR WELL, RIC IS THE BEST MIC WORKER EVER! NOT LIKE HOGAN WITH THAT STUPID VOICE HE HAS, AND RIC IS THE BEST IN RING WORKER EVER, THOUSANDS OF 60 MINUTE MATCHES AND THE BEST BOUTS EVER, RIC WAS THE ONE WHO PUT WRESTLING ON THE MAP, HOGAN JUST GOT THE PUSH BY WWE, SOLD T-SHIRTS, AND RUINED WRESTLING AND THE TERRITORIES!

AND BRET HART, WELL BRET IS ARGUABLY THE BEST TECHNICIAN EVER! BUT IS NOT NEAR THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER, BECAUSE NOT GOOD ON THE MIC, NOT A TRUE CHAMPION, AND AN EGOTISTICAL HIPOCRITE. EXCUSE ME, THANKS!

RIC FLAIR IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME PERIOD WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! DON'T BELIEVE ME? WATCH HIS TRILOGY WITH RICKY STEAMBOAT, HIS CAGE BOUT WITH HARLEY RACE AT STARRCADE '84, HIS BOUTS AGAINST DUSTY RHODES AND MORE!

NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR BY FAR!: WHAT THE OBSESSION WITH HOGAN IS? YOU SEE HOGAN IS MAYBE THE BEST DRAWER IN HISTORY, NOT THE BEST WRESTLER DAMN IT! HOGAN DOESN'T EVEN WRESTLE, AND SOME OF YOU SAY THAT WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT "PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING" IS, SHOULD PICK HOGAN, BUT LET ME TELL YOU THAT HOGAN CAN BE ANYTHING, BUT IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL, YOU THINK THAT USING BACKSTAGE POWER TO KEEP THE TITLE ALWAYS AND NOT ALLOW YOUNG GUYS TO COME TO THE TOP (IN WCW) IS BEING A PROFESSIONAL? COME ON! HOGAN IS THE LESSER PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER IN HISTORY, A TRUE PROFESSIONAL ACCEPTS THAT HE HAS TO DROP THE TITLE AND DROPS IT!

NOW TALKING ABOUT A TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND THE GREATEST THE GREATEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME RIC FLAIR WELL, RIC IS THE BEST MIC WORKER EVER! NOT LIKE HOGAN WITH THAT STUPID VOICE HE HAS, AND RIC IS THE BEST IN RING WORKER EVER, THOUSANDS OF 60 MINUTE MATCHES AND THE BEST BOUTS EVER, RIC WAS THE ONE WHO PUT WRESTLING ON THE MAP, HOGAN JUST GOT THE PUSH BY WWE, SOLD T-SHIRTS, AND RUINED WRESTLING AND THE TERRITORIES!

AND BRET HART, WELL BRET IS ARGUABLY THE BEST TECHNICIAN EVER! BUT IS NOT NEAR THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER, BECAUSE NOT GOOD ON THE MIC, NOT A TRUE CHAMPION, AND AN EGOTISTICAL HIPOCRITE. EXCUSE ME, THANKS!

RIC FLAIR IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME PERIOD WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! DON'T BELIEVE ME? WATCH HIS TRILOGY WITH RICKY STEAMBOAT, HIS CAGE BOUT WITH HARLEY RACE AT STARRCADE '84, HIS BOUTS AGAINST DUSTY RHODES AND MORE!

And how does all this explain why Flair is the best heel? Name some of the things he did as a heel. What made him so hated? You haven't explained any of those things.

You can write a book on all the heelish things Vince did. Firing people, berating people, flirting with the divas, screwing HBK supposedly, the list goes on and on.

OHHHHHH YOU LITTLE JERRY LAWLER AGAIN, AHAHAHAH YOU NEVER LEARN, BOY I'M JUST SAYING RIC FLAIR IS THE GREATEST EVER SIMPLY, AND PERIOD. SO FORGET ABOUT HEEL OR NOT, RIC IS THE MAN

Thought this was about the greatest heel but oh well.

Hogan can do everything Flair can do but Flair can't do everything Hogan can. Hulk can wrestle just as good as Ric but when it comes to drawing ability and entertainin the crowd, which are important factors, Hogan is head and shoulders above Flair. Ric is in my third tier of wrestling greats as he was good in-ring but he just have the drawing ability to pull casual fans in.

SHAWN MICHAELS SAYS IT, TRIPLE H SAYS IT, EDGE SAYS IT EVEN STONE COLD SAYS RIC IS THE GREATEST EVER! I THINK THAT HOGAN SAYS WITH HIS STUPID VOICE"

"OHHH BROTHER, IM A DRAW, BUT RIC FLAIR CAN BUST MY ASS IN THE RING, I DONT KNOW THE HALF OF THE MOVES RIC DOES IN THE RING"

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAHHA!

Wow. You do know those were their opinions right? Or maybe WWE wants us to think that Ric Flair is the greatest ever when he is actually not. If Flair didn't come back to WWE in 2001, he wouldn't have been hyped up as he has been these past few years. The same thing will happen to HBK when he retires because we will place him higher than he actually deserves to be.

Greatest ever period Ric Flair From Dusty,to SteamBoat..Putting Over Sting..Leader of one of the greatest factions in wrestling history the 4 horsemen..16 time world Champion

Hogan was the greatest until The Rock as far as sports entertainment..it's a difference because Wcw was a Rasslin Company..The WWF was more about the over the top charecters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRhJA539bA

Flair expalins it himself^^^click the link

SHAWN MICHAELS SAYS IT, TRIPLE H SAYS IT, EDGE SAYS IT EVEN STONE COLD SAYS RIC IS THE GREATEST EVER! I THINK THAT HOGAN SAYS WITH HIS STUPID VOICE"

"OHHH BROTHER, IM A DRAW, BUT RIC FLAIR CAN BUST MY ASS IN THE RING, I DONT KNOW THE HALF OF THE MOVES RIC DOES IN THE RING"

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAHHA!

Are you alright? How the hell are you not gone yet? Dude really...

Since those guys started saying that he's the best doesn't mean that I have to think that he's the best... It was Hogan is the one that made wrestling what it is... With out him we would Flair wouldn't have had any of the lime light that he did. Like it or not, without Hogan wrestling wouldn't be anywhere near the level that he was. Without Hogan Flair wouldn't be half the star that he is. Why because it was Hogan that made wrestling cool. It was Hogan that could draw anyone. What could Flair draw compared to Hogan?

Was Hogan one of the best technical wrestlers? Was he limited? Yeah, but he could still put on a match like no other. He knew how to work a crowd the likes of which haven't been seen. (maybe Cena) He knew how to get a crowd into a match like nobody's business. Flair wasn't in his league when it came to working a crowd.

Then with that said, Hogan has had some of the most memorable moments in wrestling. Slamming Andre at WrestleMania 3. His heel turned the wrestling world upside down, and shot WcW over WWF. His match with the Rock at WrestleMaina 18. Let's not forget his feud with Savage. What an epic feud with that was between the Mega Powers. Then his match with Warrior. Or his amazing match with Vince at Mania 19. I could keep going. Hogan always delivered on the biggest stage.

I'm not ever going to sit here and knock Hulk Hogan. Yes, Hogan could draw, but that is not all professional wrestling is. Flair could do it all. He had drawing ability, mic skills, in ring ability and he made future stars, more than anyone in the business. Let's see: Sting, Rhodes, Race, Steamboat, Magnum T.A., Barry Windham, Tully Blanchord, Arn Anderson, J.J. Dillon, and I could go on, but the bottom line is, they owe their career's to Ric Flair. Who can you say that for with Hogan besides Goldberg and possibly the Warrior?

Here you go. For those of you that say that professional wrestling is predicated on success, drawing ability, sells and what have you. Here is Vince saying that Austin made more money than Hogan, so by your standards people, Austin is the best ever. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, start it around 2:45 and if you don't want to watch it from there then watch it around 3:30.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs9ZjCl4swo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs9ZjCl4swo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Here is Ric Flair saying that Hogan was the greatest of all time because he drew more money than him. He says not a better wrestler but a bigger star. You need to watch this whole thing. He also talks about Hogan and how he does business.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfRhJA539bA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfRhJA539bA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Here is Hulk talking about who is the best ever. He said that if he was Hulk Hogan he would say that Hogan was the best, but he said as himself, as Terry Bullea, Ric Flair is the greatest wrestler of all time.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZmlZ4cpGao&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZmlZ4cpGao&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

So make of it what you will.

1.Ric Flair - I think this is the obvious choice for number one. He was just too good for too long to be anything but the best at Professional Wrestling.

2.Hulk Hogan - I don't like him as much as everyone else but he's the most popular wrestler of all time without a doubt.

3.Stone Cold - He was the best guy when WWE was at their best and he's mega popular and I don't know one person who doesn't like him.

4.Undertaker - Undertaker has been one of the hardest workers of all time and he has been the leader of the locker room for the last 10 plus years and has had memorable match after memorable match. He also has one of the best gimmicks of all time.

5.Shawn Michaels - Even after 20 years in the business he's still better than 90% of the roster today. He's ne of the best in ring workers of all time and also one the greats on the mic.

This required little thought as it's well known to virtually everone that Hulk Hogan is the greatest wrestler ever, with ease. He was the biggest draw ever and launched the WWE to where it is today; WWE would'nt be nearly as popular had Hogan never appeared. Those statements alone say something huge.

Hogan understood how to play to the crowd, work the stick, create emotion in matches, incorporate psychology, make meaningful storylines and buildups, and make fans come to see the product mor ethan anyone else, ala he knew how to draw tremendously.
Noone else has a logical claim to be the greatest ever when Hogan has revolutionized the buisness and made the mold that is wrestling today.

This required little thought as it's well known to virtually everone that Hulk Hogan is the greatest wrestler ever, with ease. He was the biggest draw ever and launched the WWE to where it is today; WWE would'nt be nearly as popular had Hogan never appeared. Those statements alone say something huge.

Hogan understood how to play to the crowd, work the stick, create emotion in matches, incorporate psychology, make meaningful storylines and buildups, and make fans come to see the product mor ethan anyone else, ala he knew how to draw tremendously.
Noone else has a logical claim to be the greatest ever when Hogan has revolutionized the buisness and made the mold that is wrestling today.

You just completely over looked my post didn't you? No one has a legitamite claim you say. I am not going to retype everything that I did above. Just look above at my last post and it should tell you everything that you need to know. If you need more proof, I am sure that I can find it.

If you don't want to look at my last post, just look at one part. The part where Vince says that Austin broke all of Hogan's records, so by your logic, that would make Austin the best.

POPULAR POPULAR DAMN ITS! NO BODY SAID THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT HOLLYWOOD AND POPULARITY THIS IS ABOUT PRO WRESTLING!!!!!!!!!

Pro wrestling is all about popularity. If you want to watch real wrestling go watch the olympics or college wrestling. We watch PRO WRESTLING for the drama and entertainment. It is all about Hollywood. If you think Flair is the best I respect that opinion. If you think Hogan is the best I respect that too.

If we're talkng about the greatest of all time I'm going with Hogan. I enjoy watching Bret Hart and Shawn Michales matches more than anyone else. That makes them the greatest in the ring in my opinion. That doesn't make the the greatest pro wrestlers of all time.

Look at Hogan's contributions to the business. A lot of people have already mentioned his drawing power. Like it or not that is a major factor. During the 80's WWF would sometimes run two shows a night in different cities. Everyone wanted to be on the show with Hogan. Why? Because he would draw more fans allowing those on his show to make more money. Hogan was the one who started selling merchandise. When he had success with it other wrestlers started getting their own merchandise too. These royalties made them all richer and they have Hogan to thank. Most important Hogan created millions of new fans. It's one thing to sell out arenas. It's another whole thing to be responsible for creating the fan base in the first place. As stated before, Hogan was the major factor in WWF going national and keeping WCW alive. Everybody knows who Hulk Hogan is. Line up 100 people who have never watched wrestling and ask if they know who Hulk Hogan is. I'm sure they will all say yes. Can you think of anyone else that everybody has heard of? So while he may not use a figure four or execute a drop toe hold, Hogan is responsible for making Pro wrestling what it is today. Isn't that what it's all about?

Don't confuse who your favorite is or who you enjoy watching the most with who is the greatest.

O come on. Everybody in the world knows the answer to this question and it will never ever ever ever ever ever ever change for as long as this business is still around. The REAL best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be belongs to one man and one man only... and that man is...

:worship:Hulk Hogan.:worship:

It doesn't matter how cheesy his finisher is, or how much people can't say he can't wrestle (Milkyway! was kind enough to even supply dominant proof), or what you think of him, Hulk Hogan is the epitome of larger than life and the definition of the greatest of all time. This man defined wrestling. He made the WWF what it was in the 80s. He carried Wrestlemania every year. So many things in wrestling history wouldn't have happened, or would have been totally different if it wasn't for Hulk Hogan. This man could walk down that mothereffing ramp at 80 with a walker, take a solid 12 minutes to get there, but as long as he strikes that pose in the middle of that ring for those fans, he will get a pop like your mom just called you to tell you that you won the lottery... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The hit of this man's music still to this day sends chills up your spine and makes you mark the fuck out of your mind. When somebody says "the WWE needs a quick fix, what do we do?" there is rarely one time where saying "bring in Hogan" wouldn't run through peoples minds. Yes professional wrestling has to move on from Hulk Hogan, but he is just simply, the greatest. Guest Host for Raw? Hogan. Raw GM? Hogan. Who can we try to get to wrestle Stone Cold one last time in our dreams? Hogan. Who did we idolize growing up? Hogan. The answer is always Hogan. Always was Hogan. And always will be Hogan.

You should probably quote me if you're going to take the reply. I actually had to read some peoples posts :disappointed:

I'm not ever going to sit here and knock Hulk Hogan.

You allready did, why stop now?

Yes, Hogan could draw, but that is not all professional wrestling is.

That is all professional wrestling is.

Flair could do it all. He had drawing ability, mic skills, in ring ability and he made future stars, more than anyone in the business.

Incorrect. Hogan drew more than Flair. Hogan was better on the mic than Flair. Hogan was great, entertaining, and could get just as technical as anyone else in the ring. Just because you've fallen for the dumb myth that Hulk Hogan only Hulks up, points, punches, scoop slams, leg drops. Doesn't mean its true. Watch Saturday Night's Main Event. You'll see some true Hulk Hogan clinics.

Let's see: Sting,

Hogan made Sting.

Funny, if you knew anything about Flairs past, you would know that he tried to come on as the son of Rhodes. Rhodes wouldn't allow it, and told Flair hes got to make his own personallity. At the time Flair was 350 pounds, then the plane crash happened, causing him to lose shittons of weight, and become the technical wrestler he is. Rhodes helped make Flair.

Ask Ric Flair, he'll tell you himself. He wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he was, without Harley Race.

Steamboat

Was a star long before Ric Flair, so again, no.

Magnum T.A.

You see where his career went, don't you?

Tully Blanchord

He was one time world heavyweight champion. Mainly remembered for his 353 day reign as US champion, and The Four horseman. He was a star, before Flair ever got into his career. Rhodes, and Magnum T.A had a lot to do with his sucess.

Barry Windham,

Barry Windham made Barry Windham, not Ric Flair. Barry was a star in 1984 during his first run with the WWF.

Arn Anderson,

Who was never a World Heavyweight Champion.

J.J. Dillon,

He started to become a huge name, well before his teaming with The Four Horseman. He was a recognisable name when Managing Rhodes, and Blanchard.

and I could go on, but the bottom line is, they owe their career's to Ric Flair.

The bottom line is, you're incorrect, on nearly all of them.

Who can you say that for with Hogan besides Goldberg and possibly the Warrior?

It doesn't matter who Hogan didn't make. He was too busy making multi-million dollar COMPANIES, not $200,000 wrestlers.

Here you go. For those of you that say that professional wrestling is predicated on success, drawing ability, sells and what have you. Here is Vince saying that Austin made more money than Hogan, so by your standards people, Austin is the best ever.

Wrong, Austin only drew as well as he did for about 3 years. Then the whole rebel vs Boss storyline got stale. Granted the ruckus wasn't over. But, if you watch the McMahon dvd, it clearly states Austin was half way down the mountain, after the McMahon storyline was over. Austin was great shortterm, but in the end, he caused immense ammounts of damage to the core audiance, and the Attitude era, did hurt the WWE for the long run.

Hogans been drawing as well as he has, for about 20 years now. If he could, he would still be in that ring drawing as well as he was 20 years ago, right now. Overall, I'm most deffinetly certain, Hogan has drawn more cumalatively than any other being on the face of the plannet has.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, start it around 2:45 and if you don't want to watch it from there then watch it around 3:30.

I've seen it, several times.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs9ZjCl4swo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs9ZjCl4swo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Theres a much easier way to do the scriping on Wrestlezone. Just type [youtube]the coding between the = and the & sign, then [Y/outube]

Here is Ric Flair saying that Hogan was the greatest of all time because he drew more money than him. He says not a better wrestler but a bigger star. You need to watch this whole thing. He also talks about Hogan and how he does business.

Thats what the business is about. I don't give a fuck if you're better than Dean Malenko inside the ring, if you don't draw you're worthless. Hogan drew more than anyone on the face of this plannet ever has. His mic skills are peerless to this day, outside of Austin. Hes made Vince McMahon more money than anyone ever, and hes damn good inside the ring. Very entertaining, and very technical when he needs to be. This myth that Hogan sucked in the ring, is utter BULLSHIT.

Here is Hulk talking about who is the best ever. He said that if he was Hulk Hogan he would say that Hogan was the best, but he said as himself, as Terry Bullea, Ric Flair is the greatest wrestler of all time.

So? Hogan is humble as Terry Bullea? Whats your point?

Milkyway, I agree with your main point that Hogan is definitely the best ever, and he is without a doubt better then Flair. However, some of the points you made in your post are very inaccurate so I will address those.

Incorrect. Hogan drew more than Flair. Hogan was better on the mic than Flair. Hogan was great, entertaining, and could get just as technical as anyone else in the ring. Just because you've fallen for the dumb myth that Hulk Hogan only Hulks up, points, punches, scoop slams, leg drops. Doesn't mean its true. Watch Saturday Night's Main Event. You'll see some true Hulk Hogan clinics.

I agree with everything in that paragraph except the bold sentence. Hulk Hogan will be the first to tell you that he was horrible when it came to technical wrestling. Hogan had great ring psychology and he put on a lot of great matches, but he is by no means a good technical wrestler.

Hogan made Sting.

How the hell did Hogan make Sting? Sting was a big star well before that abysmal match he had with Hogan at Starrcade 97'. Ric Flair elevated Sting to stardom after their 45 minute time limit draw at the inaugural Clash of the Champions.

I'm not going to say Flair made Steamboat, but Steamboat was definitely not a star until he started feuding with Flair.

Magnum T.A.'s career ended because of a car crash.

When it comes to Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson they were good before joining the 4 Horseman, but they didn't become great until they were associated with Flair in the greatest stable of all time.
Barry Windham made Barry Windham, not Ric Flair. Barry was a star in 1984 during his first run with the WWF.

If being a 2 time tag champ in the WWF makes you a star then yes he was already one. However, it doesn't and he didn't become a main eventer until his feud with Flair in the NWA.

So that's it. Hogan is the greatest ever but don't discount Flair and his accomplishments.

You should probably quote me if you're going to take the reply. I actually had to read some peoples posts :disappointed:

Reading is good for you.

You allready did, why stop now?

Show me where I knocked Hulk Hogan. Please, I'm dying to read my own words on where I knocked him.

That is all professional wrestling is.

Your opinion.

Of course Hogan drew more than Flair, I never said that he didn't. But Flair was a huge draw in his own right. Hogan was not better on the mic than Flair, no where close actually. Did you see the Flair video that I posted? The interviewer even agreed that Hogan couldn't do the things on the mic and in the ring that Flair could do. I haven't fallen for any dumb myth about Hogan. Show me where in this thread I said anything about his in ring ability, except for the fact that Flair was better, which he was.

Hogan made Sting.

Coming from someone who I respected as a great poster, someone who I thought knew alot about wrestling history and then you come on here with a BULLSHIT statement like Hogan made Sting. Credability lost. Sting's matches with Flair in '89 and '90 are the matches that put Sting on the map as a main event guy. Those are the matches that made Sting the franchise(as they used to call him back then). Before Hogan went to WCW, Sting was a huge star already. Yea, their build up for their Starrcade match was special, but the match itself didn't live up to the hype and I have interviews where both have said so.

Here is Sting giving credit to Flair for his career.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CliK9d5GVGU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CliK9d5GVGU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Here is Sting saying that his match with Hogan didn't live up to the hype. Check it out around 4:25

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK14Vo5WnoU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK14Vo5WnoU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Funny, if you knew anything about Flairs past, you would know that he tried to come on as the son of Rhodes. Rhodes wouldn't allow it, and told Flair hes got to make his own personallity. At the time Flair was 350 pounds, then the plane crash happened, causing him to lose shittons of weight, and become the technical wrestler he is. Rhodes helped make Flair.

That is certainly one way to look at it, but Rhodes himself has said that his best moments in his career was with Flair and that Flair gave him his legacy. Watch the Rhodes DvD.

Ask Ric Flair, he'll tell you himself. He wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he was, without Harley Race.

Ask Race himself and he will tell you, that without Flair, he wouldn't quite be remembered as well as he is today.

How? Because he as IC match with Macho Man at WM? No way. Steamboat has said himself that his career would have never been what it was without his feud and matches with Flair.

I sure do, but while he was wrestling, Flair is the one that got him over.

He was one time world heavyweight champion. Mainly remembered for his 353 day reign as US champion, and The Four horseman. He was a star, before Flair ever got into his career. Rhodes, and Magnum T.A had a lot to do with his sucess.

He was what we would consider a modern day midcarder before he got involved with Flair. Flair put him on the map.

Barry Windham made Barry Windham, not Ric Flair. Barry was a star in 1984 during his first run with the WWF

I would like some kind of proof of this, because I(like most fans) remember his run with the Four Horsmen and his matches against Flair for the title.

Who was never a World Heavyweight Champion.

So! He is still a recognizable name in wrestling history and that is because of Ric Flair.

He started to become a huge name, well before his teaming with The Four Horseman. He was a recognisable name when Managing Rhodes, and Blanchard.

He became huge with the Horsemen though and you can't deny that.

The bottom line is, you're incorrect, on nearly all of them.

The bottom line is, you prove to me how I am incorrect and I will provide video proof on all of them saying that they owe Flair for their legacy.

It doesn't matter who Hogan didn't make. He was too busy making multi-million dollar COMPANIES, not $200,000 wrestlers.

You all use the putting over argument all the time when debating such stars as Cena or HBK, so why doesn't it apply to the almighty Hulk Hogan? Isn't that part of what professional wrestling is?

Wrong, Austin only drew as well as he did for about 3 years. Then the whole rebel vs Boss storyline got stale. Granted the ruckus wasn't over. But, if you watch the McMahon dvd, it clearly states Austin was half way down the mountain, after the McMahon storyline was over. Austin was great shortterm, but in the end, he caused immense ammounts of damage to the core audiance, and the Attitude era, did hurt the WWE for the long run.

I just showed you an interview where Vince McMahon himself is saying that Austin made him more money than Hogan and broke all of Hogan's records and you are saying that it is wrong? WOW, you need help. I have the McMahon DVD and I am sure he says the same thing on there. So by your logic, Austin is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Hogans been drawing as well as he has, for about 20 years now. If he could, he would still be in that ring drawing as well as he was 20 years ago, right now. Overall, I'm most deffinetly certain, Hogan has drawn more cumalatively than any other being on the face of the plannet has.

I'm sure that if Austin could still go, he would be drawing as well as he did. What's your point here?

Thats what the business is about. I don't give a fuck if you're better than Dean Malenko inside the ring, if you don't draw you're worthless. Hogan drew more than anyone on the face of this plannet ever has. His mic skills are peerless to this day, outside of Austin. Hes made Vince McMahon more money than anyone ever, and hes damn good inside the ring. Very entertaining, and very technical when he needs to be. This myth that Hogan sucked in the ring, is utter BULLSHIT.

On this video, the interviewer even said that Hogan couldn't talk as well as Flair. "Well you know something brother, blah blah blah." That is all Hogan had to say. Flair was better on the mic and in the ring than Hogan, but Hogan could draw more. If Flair had have been with the machine that was WWF at that time, he might have had some t shirts and robes to sell.

So? Hogan is humble as Terry Bullea? Whats your point?

In Hogan's personal opinion, he thinks Ric Flair is the greatest of all time, that's my point.

Takerfan.... Dude, I understand that you think flair is the best, but. If it wasn't for Hogan Flair wouldn't have been on the level that he is. Neither would have been any of those men that you listed. You've said it before, it takes more than just ring skills to be great. Hogan had more than that. He wasn't rivaled by anyone on the mic, and he could draw more than anyone. It was Hogan that made the WWF, it was Hogan that made WCW. Without him WCW wouldn't have become as big as it did. You say that Flair made these stars. I disagree, while it was Flair that had the matches with them. It was Hogan that made the industry popular. It was Hogan that made it Flair as popular as he was. I'm sorry if it wasn't for Hogan, Flair wouldn't be who he is today. Why because Hogan made wrestling what it is.

Takerfan.... Dude, I understand that you think flair is the best, but. If it wasn't for Hogan Flair wouldn't have been on the level that he is. Neither would have been any of those men that you listed. You've said it before, it takes more than just ring skills to be great. Hogan had more than that. He wasn't rivaled by anyone on the mic, and he could draw more than anyone. It was Hogan that made the WWF, it was Hogan that made WCW. Without him WCW wouldn't have become as big as it did. You say that Flair made these stars. I disagree, while it was Flair that had the matches with them. It was Hogan that made the industry popular. It was Hogan that made it Flair as popular as he was. I'm sorry if it wasn't for Hogan, Flair wouldn't be who he is today. Why because Hogan made wrestling what it is.

As a wrestling fan, I shouldn't even dignify your comments with a response, but out of the respect that I have gained for you as a poster, I am going to dignify you with a response.

Ric Flair was NWA champion in the US while Hogan was trying to make it in Japan. Ric Flair was selling out arenas across the globe, while Hogan was taking orders from Greg Garnge in AWA. It can be argued that Flair made wrestling popular in the states before the Hulk ever became the Hulk. I'm not going to go on what if's or anything like that. We all know that Hogan brought wrestling mainstream, but while their were territories, Flair was the biggest wrestling star on the world. To say that Hogan made Flair and everyone else, I'm sorry, and trust me, I like you alot as a poster, but it is the most bullshit statement that I have ever read on this site. Just Crazy, and Undertaker's#1 fan means crazy!

As a wrestling fan, I shouldn't even dignify your comments with a response, but out of the respect that I have gained for you as a poster, I am going to dignify you with a response.

Ric Flair was NWA champion in the US while Hogan was trying to make it in Japan. Ric Flair was selling out arenas across the globe, while Hogan was taking orders from Greg Garnge in AWA. It can be argued that Flair made wrestling popular in the states before the Hulk ever became the Hulk. I'm not going to go on what if's or anything like that. We all know that Hogan brought wrestling mainstream, but while their were territories, Flair was the biggest wrestling star on the world. To say that Hogan made Flair and everyone else, I'm sorry, and trust me, I like you alot as a poster, but it is the most bullshit statement that I have ever read on this site. Just Crazy, and Undertaker's#1 fan means crazy!

Ric Flair may have been huge when Hogan was in Japan but Hogan came to America he blew Flair out of the water. Bringing wrestling to the mainstream was one of the most important things in wrestling history and who spearheaded that- Hulk Hogan. Flair was a great wrestler but he could never had that crossover appeal and drawing ability that Hogan had and those are some of the ingredients that make a great professional wrestler. You ask a non-wrestling fan if they know Hogan or Flair and most people would say Hogan and it's been that way for decades.

Ric Flair may have been huge when Hogan was in Japan but Hogan came to America he blew Flair out of the water. Bringing wrestling to the mainstream was one of the most important things in wrestling history and who spearheaded that- Hulk Hogan. Flair was a great wrestler but he could never had that crossover appeal and drawing ability that Hogan had and those are some of the ingredients that make a great professional wrestler. You ask a non-wrestling fan if they know Hogan or Flair and most people would say Hogan and it's been that way for decades.

Yes most people would say Hogan, that are not wrestling fans. That is true, but we can't predicate the greatest ever by success alone. It is a combination of all things and Flair had more of those things then Hogan did.

Did you watch the videos that I posted? If you did, then by your own success logic, Austin would have to be considered the greatest of all time because he broke all of Hogan's records by McMahon's own admission. However, we don't consider Austin the greatest of all time do we? By your logic, however, we should.

If we look at the business and craft of professional wrestling(I.E. mic skills, crowd/ring psychology, ability to tell a story, in ring ability, ability to start new things, putting people over, ability to draw, he couldn't has much as Hogan, but he was a very huge draw in his own right, and what have you. No one was better than Ric Flair.

Watch the videos that I posted, even the interviewer admits that Hogan couldn't do all the things that Flair could do, and again, I don't want to go on what if's, but if Flair had have been with the WWF in the 80's, he might have had some merchandise to sell as well. If it have been Flair vs Hogan at WM 8 like it should have been, that could have very well been the greatest match of all time.

Reading is good for you.

The posts I read sure weren't.

Show me where I knocked Hulk Hogan. Please, I'm dying to read my own words on where I knocked him.

By even thinking Ric Flair can hold a candle to Hulk Hogan. That alone is enough to make the dead rise.

Your opinion.

...Without money, no company can make it for more than a minute. Hogan made more money than anyone else has ever made in the world..For 25-30 years, he drew in HUGE amounts of money. Flair drew well for about 10 years, and no where near the amount Hogan drew.

Of course Hogan drew more than Flair, I never said that he didn't. But Flair was a huge draw in his own right.

He did draw well, but not nearly as much as Hogan did. Hogan made an entire company, twice. Flair hardly made one, ever.

Hogan was not better on the mic than Flair, no where close actually.

This is completely subjective. You can be a huge Flair mark, by all means. Which will obviously blind you to the greatness that is Hulk Hogan. But the millions that watched Hulk Hogan on the tele week in, and week out, the sold out crouds day in and day out. A record setting attendence number yet to be broken to this day. That is all Hulk Hogan. Flair, drew thousands, maybe in hundreds of thousands. Hogan drew millions, and millions. Seeing as how he was purely based on character, and talking (Obviously the fans didn't come to see his wrestling skills, which started the Hogan can't wrestle myth). I think that means to me, hes damn good on the mic.

Did you see the Flair video that I posted? The interviewer even agreed that Hogan couldn't do the things on the mic and in the ring that Flair could do.

Because interviewers don't kiss the ass of whomever they're interviewing anymore and are obviously omniscient beings. :rolleyes:

I haven't fallen for any dumb myth about Hogan. Show me where in this thread I said anything about his in ring ability, except for the fact that Flair was better, which he was.

Heh, Flair was good in the ring. Yes, but I say Hogan is the most colorful, and entertaining person ever in the ring. Its entirely subjective, and nothing you say will persuade me and nothing I say will persuade you otherwise.

Coming from someone who I respected as a great poster, someone who I thought knew alot about wrestling history and then you come on here with a BULLSHIT statement like Hogan made Sting.

Hogan made Sting the star that he is today. People wouldn't be saying Sting is the greatest professional wrestler ever, had he not had his intense fued with Hogan. The same intense fued that marked him down in wrestling history, and makes him one of the most recognisable wrestlers ever.

Credability lost. Sting's matches with Flair in '89 and '90 are the matches that put Sting on the map as a main event guy. Those are the matches that made Sting the franchise(as they used to call him back then).

But it didn't make Sting the Sting we know, and love. Hogan did that.

Before Hogan went to WCW, Sting was a huge star already. Yea, their build up for their Starrcade match was special, but the match itself didn't live up to the hype and I have interviews where both have said so.

It didn't live up to the hype. Nothing lives up to the hype anymore. Promoters say "best match ever" when sometimes, you can only one-up certain matches so many times.

Here is Sting giving credit to Flair for his career.

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CliK9d5GVGU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CliK9d5GVGU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

I can't watch any videos, becuase my computer currently has 0 bytes of space. Something I have no clue how to fix, without 500$. I believe he said such a thing, from your word alone. While Flair made him a big star, Hogan is what made him rememorable. The best fued Sting ever had, was with Hogan, without that fued, Sting would have went down as a tier 3 wrestler, instead of the tier 2 wrestler he is.

Here is Sting saying that his match with Hogan didn't live up to the hype. Check it out around 4:25

[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK14Vo5WnoU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK14Vo5WnoU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

I've seen it, and I agree. They both seemed to have had a very bad night during that match. But I was still very entertained by it. It just wasn't "The Best Match Ever" as it was promoted to be.

That is certainly one way to look at it, but Rhodes himself has said that his best moments in his career was with Flair and that Flair gave him his legacy. Watch the Rhodes DvD.

Heh, but that doesn't mean Flair made Rhodes, by any means. The two elevated eachother, but Rhodes was a star, long before Flair ever was. When Flair was a star, not after Rhodes put him over for his first World Heavyweight title, but his second, after Race put him over.

Ask Race himself and he will tell you, that without Flair, he wouldn't quite be remembered as well as he is today.

This still doesn't mean Flair made Race. People have a strange obsession with Ric Flair, becuase the WWE has shoved him down our throats for the past decade as being the greatest professional wrestler alive. Flair, would be just a name just like Race, Rhodes, Steamboat. Had they not done such a thing. No one will deny the amazing matches these guys had inside that ring. But, they still didn't make nearly as much money as Hogan did, and thats a problem. Seeing as how the entire business is judged and based of money.

How? Because he as IC match with Macho Man at WM? No way. Steamboat has said himself that his career would have never been what it was without his feud and matches with Flair.

Once again, these two made eachother. You can't say Flair made this guy, because Steamboat helped make Flair too. During their 2,000 diffrent wrestling matches Steamboat obviously helped Flair, just as much as Flair helped Steamboat.

I sure do, but while he was wrestling, Flair is the one that got him over.

Doesn't matter. Be it a car crash that stopped his career, or a broken neck from a piledriver. The guy never made it huge, so his name doesn't matter.

He was what we would consider a modern day midcarder before he got involved with Flair. Flair put him on the map.

Being with Flair didn't make him a main eventor. Hell, the guy was never a main eventor. He held one world title that actually mattered. ONE.

So! He is still a recognizable name in wrestling history and that is because of Ric Flair.

Heh, who gives a shit? He never held the title that counts. Thus you can't really consider him a main eventor, that Flair "made"

He became huge with the Horsemen though and you can't deny that.

He become huge from Rhodes too. Lost steam when he went to Blanchard, and picked up where he left off with The Four horseman. If memory serves correctly.

The bottom line is, you prove to me how I am incorrect and I will provide video proof on all of them saying that they owe Flair for their legacy.

These guys do owe a lot to Ric Flair, but he certainly didn't "Create" or "Make" their careers. They may have had great matches with one another, and each and everyone of the names mentioned are great inside the squared circle. But overall, Flair helped them, just as much as they helped him.

You all use the putting over argument all the time when debating such stars as Cena or HBK, so why doesn't it apply to the almighty Hulk Hogan? Isn't that part of what professional wrestling is?

Because when you make companies, thats better than making wrestlers.

I just showed you an interview where Vince McMahon himself is saying that Austin made him more money than Hogan and broke all of Hogan's records and you are saying that it is wrong? WOW, you need help. I have the McMahon DVD and I am sure he says the same thing on there. So by your logic, Austin is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Once again, Hogan made millions for 25-30 years. Austin made millions for less than a decade. I'm positive, Hogan drew more than Austin did overall, than Austin did for his less than a decade of making millions. Austin may have broken records such as, most money made in a year, most money made in a day, week, month, whatever. But seeing as how Hogan made millions for DECADES, the math just wouldn't add up to Austin making more overall than Hogan did.

I'm sure that if Austin could still go, he would be drawing as well as he did. What's your point here?

I don't think he would. Austin played off of The Mcmahon character. After so long that would have gotten stale, and Austin wouldn't have anything to really do.

On this video, the interviewer even said that Hogan couldn't talk as well as Flair. "Well you know something brother, blah blah blah." That is all Hogan had to say.

Hogan was more entertaining doing this, than Flair was, doing whatever it was he was doing on the mic. Numbers and ratings prove you otherwise.

Flair was better on the mic and in the ring than Hogan, but Hogan could draw more.

Which is all that matter.

If Flair had have been with the machine that was WWF at that time, he might have had some t shirts and robes to sell.

Using the word if in a debate, automatically implies it didn't happen. So don't use it as evidence to prove me incorrectly.

The posts I read sure weren't.

So you are saying that my posts are worth reading?

By even thinking Ric Flair can hold a candle to Hulk Hogan. That alone is enough to make the dead rise.

Well then I guess with the dead rising, we could have a remake of the Thriller video right here and now, because Flair can definately hold a candle to Hogan.

...Without money, no company can make it for more than a minute. Hogan made more money than anyone else has ever made in the world..For 25-30 years, he drew in HUGE amounts of money. Flair drew well for about 10 years, and no where near the amount Hogan drew.

See this is what gets me down, right here. We are fans, or supposed to be fans, but yet we sit here and talk about who made more money, ratings, buyrates, and what have you. When it is us that pays our hard earned money to watch it. We shouldn't worry ourselves with who drew more and stuff like that, we should just enjoy the product. So yea, Hogan is the biggest draw in the history of Professional Wrestling, but for me, Flair was more entertaining and a lot better to watch in the ring.

He did draw well, but not nearly as much as Hogan did. Hogan made an entire company, twice. Flair hardly made one, ever.

Hogan couldn't do it by himself. He had help. The genius that is Vince McMahon and the(I hate to say it) genius that was Eric Bischoff is what gave Hogan his platform, plus he had a hell of a supporting cast to work with in both companies.

This is completely subjective. You can be a huge Flair mark, by all means. Which will obviously blind you to the greatness that is Hulk Hogan. But the millions that watched Hulk Hogan on the tele week in, and week out, the sold out crouds day in and day out. A record setting attendence number yet to be broken to this day. That is all Hulk Hogan. Flair, drew thousands, maybe in hundreds of thousands. Hogan drew millions, and millions. Seeing as how he was purely based on character, and talking (Obviously the fans didn't come to see his wrestling skills, which started the Hogan can't wrestle myth). I think that means to me, hes damn good on the mic.

Trust me I am nobody's mark(except 'Taker), but I am not going to have a debate about the best of all time and not defend who I believe that title should go to. I was a Hulkamaniac, so long ago. I loved to watch Hogan, but when I got older and started doing my research, I learned his limitations(in ring ability) and when I started really paying attention to Flair and watching his old matches, I would say, "My god that man can wrestle, talk, entertain just as good if not better than Hogan." It is a matter of wrong place wrong time for Flair. BTW, he is the one that kept NWA/WCW going for the longest time, hell he even owned their damn title belts.

Because interviewers don't kiss the ass of whomever they're interviewing anymore and are obviously omniscient beings. :rolleyes:

Not that one. You need to go to Youtube and watch some of those Off the Record interviews, he really speaks his mind to the wrestlers that he interviews(except Bret Hart, because that show is in Canada and he has his head up Hart's ass).

Heh, Flair was good in the ring. Yes, but I say Hogan is the most colorful, and entertaining person ever in the ring. Its entirely subjective, and nothing you say will persuade me and nothing I say will persuade you otherwise.

Hogan was colorful and entertaining, but so was Flair. How Flair always begged them to stop, get thrown off the top rope, get beat down in the corner and then come out and fall on his face. Any man that can get a pop from falling on their face as to be good.

Hogan made Sting the star that he is today. People wouldn't be saying Sting is the greatest professional wrestler ever, had he not had his intense fued with Hogan. The same intense fued that marked him down in wrestling history, and makes him one of the most recognisable wrestlers ever.

Sting didn't need Hogan to be remembered like he is today. Sting was already such a big name in WCW that he could have changed his gimmick to the crow character and he still would have been just as popular. That same story would have worked with any heel. BTW, Sting wouldn't have even been in that position if it weren't for Flair.

But it didn't make Sting the Sting we know, and love. Hogan did that.

Sting made Sting into what we remember(the crow character) Hogan just happened to be his opponent. I dare say, Sting helped keep Hogan relevant at that time period as he really didn't have anyone else to face in the company until Goldberg came along.

It didn't live up to the hype. Nothing lives up to the hype anymore. Promoters say "best match ever" when sometimes, you can only one-up certain matches so many times.

I will admit that there was a lot of hype to live up to in that match, but when you have two of the greatest ever in the match, it should have been golden. HBK/'Taker lived up to the hype, I dare say, they surpassed the hype.

I can't watch any videos, becuase my computer currently has 0 bytes of space. Something I have no clue how to fix, without 500$. I believe he said such a thing, from your word alone. While Flair made him a big star, Hogan is what made him rememorable. The best fued Sting ever had, was with Hogan, without that fued, Sting would have went down as a tier 3 wrestler, instead of the tier 2 wrestler he is.

His feud with Hogan will be remembered as one of the greatest feuds ever, but you can't deny that Flair is the one that put him on the map to be in that position with Hogan.

I've seen it, and I agree. They both seemed to have had a very bad night during that match. But I was still very entertained by it. It just wasn't "The Best Match Ever" as it was promoted to be.

It could have been though. When you are a professional, you don't just have a bad night on what could be the greatest match up ever. Do you think HBK would have went in there and just had a bad night?

Heh, but that doesn't mean Flair made Rhodes, by any means. The two elevated eachother, but Rhodes was a star, long before Flair ever was. When Flair was a star, not after Rhodes put him over for his first World Heavyweight title, but his second, after Race put him over.

Agreed. When you tell the Rhodes story you can't leave Flair out, but when you tell the Flair story, you can't leave Rhodes out. So yea, they owe each other alot.

This still doesn't mean Flair made Race. People have a strange obsession with Ric Flair, becuase the WWE has shoved him down our throats for the past decade as being the greatest professional wrestler alive. Flair, would be just a name just like Race, Rhodes, Steamboat. Had they not done such a thing. No one will deny the amazing matches these guys had inside that ring. But, they still didn't make nearly as much money as Hogan did, and thats a problem. Seeing as how the entire business is judged and based of money.

I don't think Race could say that if it wasn't for my matches with Flair I would still be as good. I think that Flair could have done without Race and still be the man.

Once again, these two made eachother. You can't say Flair made this guy, because Steamboat helped make Flair too. During their 2,000 diffrent wrestling matches Steamboat obviously helped Flair, just as much as Flair helped Steamboat.

By the time of their great feud, Flair had already proven himself to be The Man, Steamboat was just a midcarder, but it was Flair that elevated him to ME status and gave him his first title. Steamboat owes alot to Flair and again, Flair would still be great without Steamboat, but Steamboat would just have been one of those guys.

Doesn't matter. Be it a car crash that stopped his career, or a broken neck from a piledriver. The guy never made it huge, so his name doesn't matter.

I think his name does matter. He was another guy that Flair made famous. Whether it was for a short while or a long while, Flair made this guy famous.

Being with Flair didn't make him a main eventor. Hell, the guy was never a main eventor. He held one world title that actually mattered. ONE.

He is still remembered though. You ask the average wrestling fan, who knows some history, but not alot of it, who Tully Blanchord is and 9 times out of 10 they will say, "Wasn't he in the Four Horsmen with Ric Flair?"

Heh, who gives a shit? He never held the title that counts. Thus you can't really consider him a main eventor, that Flair "made"

He was still big by association with Flair.

He become huge from Rhodes too. Lost steam when he went to Blanchard, and picked up where he left off with The Four horseman. If memory serves correctly.

But he is remembered, not for his service with Rhodes, but for his service with the Four Horsemen.

These guys do owe a lot to Ric Flair, but he certainly didn't "Create" or "Make" their careers. They may have had great matches with one another, and each and everyone of the names mentioned are great inside the squared circle. But overall, Flair helped them, just as much as they helped him.

Yes Flair did elevate their careers, but I don't think that it could be the other way around. Back in the day, Flair was like HBK, he could go out and have a great match with anybody. So those names could be totally different and put them up against Flair back then, you would get the same result, a better performer after their encounter with Flair.

Because when you make companies, thats better than making wrestlers.

If he made the companies, why couldn't he do what was in the companies' best interest and make future stars? I'm sure that would have helped. That is where WCW went wrong. They kept the same old stars on top all the time and it got old. The only person that we can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that Hogan made huge is Goldberg.

Once again, Hogan made millions for 25-30 years. Austin made millions for less than a decade. I'm positive, Hogan drew more than Austin did overall, than Austin did for his less than a decade of making millions. Austin may have broken records such as, most money made in a year, most money made in a day, week, month, whatever. But seeing as how Hogan made millions for DECADES, the math just wouldn't add up to Austin making more overall than Hogan did.

Breaking Hogan's records has to stand for something. Alas you are right, however, Hogan did accumilate more money over a longer period of time. Longevity is something that Hogan had, but Flair had aswell.

I don't think he would. Austin played off of The Mcmahon character. After so long that would have gotten stale, and Austin wouldn't have anything to really do.

Austin remained popular even after his saga with McMahon was over. He could come back right now and wrestle a full schedule and he would be the top draw in the company.

Hogan was more entertaining doing this, than Flair was, doing whatever it was he was doing on the mic. Numbers and ratings prove you otherwise.

I find Flair more entertaining on the mic, but you are right numbers and ratings don't lie. However, the first Clash of the Champions was the highest rated televised wrestling event and guess who headlined it........Flair and Sting.

Which is all that matter.

If they were making you money yes, but from a fans stand point, we should be argueing this on their abilities and Flair seemed to have more than Hogan.

Using the word if in a debate, automatically implies it didn't happen. So don't use it as evidence to prove me incorrectly.

Last I checked this is a debate. I'm not here to prove you or anyone else wrong on anything(unless you flat out make a statement that is just false, like Hogan made Sting). I am here just to get my point across and we just so happen to have different views on the matter.

The question is always loaded... there are always a million and one factors to consider...

Wrestlers argue over who drew more... Fans argue over who has better skills...

It's about the intangible... that quality you cannot define but that you would call "it"...

Some guys would be close to being the greatest, but injuries at the wrong moment have robbed them....

Is it consitancy? Being on top for a long period of time.... Is it putting other people over and creating new stars?

Is it sheer dollars or the number of bones broken?

There is no framework to judge from because wrestling has no framework itself...

Here are some guys it isn't...

Bret Hart, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels: Flair is right, Bret didn't draw anywhere near enough to justify his push... Taker was pushed far too hard against mediocre opposition... Shawn has been given almost mythical status as a performer... since he returned from his hiatus... but the reality is prior to that he was poison in the locker room and to the business as a whole... a man who never lost 3 IC titles and one World Title in the ring is not the greatest...

Triple H, Cena, The Rock

Triple H is the heir apparent to WWE, he has had the machine behind him for several years, but has not moved into that "pop culture icon" status enjoyed by others... Cena too has attempted to break into this area through movies... these guys are gonna be WWE for the rest of their careers... but they will not the the guys who make WWE hot again... if they ever did...

The Rock is the guy who got out good... he made a massive pop culture statement, his terms are in use all over the world... but Dwayne Johnson, hollywood star is not The Rock.... The Rock died sometime ago along with any chance of being the best ever....

Austin, Angle, Rick Rude, DiBiase

Austin COULD have been the greatest... if not for one small error made by the late Owen Hart... While Austin 3:16 still became wildly successful for WWE, it was always tainted by the knowledge that Steve Austin couldn't work even 50% of what he could before that botched tombstone... Had that not happened, Austin would have probably been the one to defeat Bret at Survivor Series 97, the screwjob would never have happened.... Austin would be headed for retirement somewhere about now in a last feud with Shawn or Taker over the title... and he would have been the greatest....

Angle and Rude would both have been in contention if their injuries hadn't mounted up... Angle has not been the same since his neck problems...a shame as for those first 3 years of his WWE career he really looked like he would end up the best ever... we also lost the top two heels of the last generation to spinal injuries... Rude and DiBiase, had they stayed fit, would have both continued into the late 1990's as World Champions in either WCW or WWE... You can add Edge into this list too...and Benoit... Injury's kill careers...

So we're down to the contenders.... Some will get people steaming mad... some will ring some bells...

Randy Savage

For his era, Savage was the top worker bar none... the only stinkers he had in WWE were with Warrior... and even then Savage was the thing worth watching in them... He drew enough to be a viable alternative to Hogan for a time, contributed to the pop culture explosion of wrestling and introduced some innovative spots... look back at his top rope clothesline, it beggers belief that no one uses it today... Savage and Elizabeth were THE couple on screen... everything about the package worked and as a result Savage worked at main event level for over 15 years and rarely looked out of shape or slowed in any way... perhaps only personal demons would have prevented him being the best...

Brock Lesnar

You're nuts I hear you say... but hear me out... Right now Lesnar is a contender... but only IF he cames back to wrestling after his UFC exploits... Wrestling has had some famous sporting crossovers, football players into wrestlers for example... but no one has started with wrestling, gone on to massive success in another sport...THEN back to wrestling.... If Vince and Dana White can work something out, I could see a Brock appearance at Mania being the modern equivalent of Ali v Inoki...with world wide interest in the outcome....and masses of dollars for all concerned... To my mind the greatest wrestler ever is the guy who makes it credible that wrestling, though often fake...is also as real as it gets...

Flair & Hogan

Two sides of a coin... Both drew large dollars, both had the machine behind them... Flair was more impressive overall as he shared the load with top level workers all the way along... Guys like Rhodes, Race, Funk and Sting... Hogan's small failing was in his booking... Guys like Slaughter, Bundy and Earthquake dragged Hogan down in the end... Hulk also neglected to work with the guys who could really have given his WWE run depth, like Rude... For me Flair comes as close as you can without making it... Hogan's later career, particularly refusing to job to Shawn Michaels or Randy Orton counts him out in my eyes...

So that leaves the best ever... ready?

Ricky Steamboat

Another controversial choice... but the only choice...

Steamboat is responsible for some of wrestlings greatest moments... but more to the point for making the majority of the last 25 years worth of heels look like a million dollars.... Where would Steve Austin have been if not for his TV title Blondes feuds with Steamboat? Would Flair have reached immortality without his matches with Ricky? Regal...Shane Douglas...Dustin Rhodes... Steamboat worked with them all as opponents or partners...and all went on to be awesome heels.... Could you imagine today's WWE heels like Jericho, Edge or Orton being anywhere near as good as heels without the ultimate good guy mentor backstage in Ricky?

Steamboat was the MVP in the early Wrestlemania era and WCW's in the early 1990's... He was the go to guy for great feuds and one off matches like the tournament at Mania 4... then fate intervened and he got hurt...

But here's the clincher... 15 years after he was forced to quit through a back injury... he was able to wrestle for most of this year... and at least one of those matches with Jericho is gonna be in everyones "match of the year" lists come december... THAT is why Ricky Steamboat is the best ever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back