• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pitch Black/Riddick

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Let's talk about Pitch Black and its sequel. You probably won't but fuck you, I thought it'd be an interesting thread idea.

Let's just establish a few things: I really liked the first film. I think it's really, really good and how a sci-film should be - plenty of beasties, special effects, grittiness, unique characters and not a uniform in site. I also thought it was great example of how Vin Diesel can be as an action star. The emotionless bastard that is Riddick, it's like Schwarzenegger's terminator.

That being said, I think the second was a steaming pile of shit. Not only was it completely unnecessary, it seemed totally unrelated to the first. And could it have got any more like Stargate:SG1? That's how not to do sci-fi. Completely bizarre in every sense, and not a touch on the first.

I just think it's great how these two films exhibit both how a modern sci-fi film should and shouldn't be made. Your thoughts?

See now I'm the opposite to you, I liked the first but loved the second and even the animation one in between that explained how he got arrested and ended up where he was in the second (technically 3rd) film.
I also think the chronicles added more depth to an otherwise 1 dimensional character that he was in the first.
both awesome films though.

I thought both generally showed something, the first Film Pitch Black had a huge story and was supposed to be something of a sci fi horror movie, it had Riddick inmore of a supporting role, Chronicles of Riddick reminded me more of Connan, he tries to avenge the death of his people and his family and some how fights through, it made no sense but was still watchable compared to todays crap

I liked Pitch Black very much and it's one of my favorite SF movies. The character, Riddick, is amazing; he is not an ordinary hero who's a great guy, saves the world and so on. Not at all! He's complex, he's selfish, cruel murderer, he has a good side though. I think Vin Diesel was the right guy to play this character.
The second movie, I don't remember much of it because I saw it a long time ago and only once, was pretty good too. Maybe I should watch it again ;)

I'm really surprised that people like the sequel - I really thought that it stepped way too far away from the original and wasn't a very good film in its own right either. Where the first captured the grittiness and the sense of "oh, this kind of could happen" the second was sheer unbelievable fantasy, which I hated. Even Aliens - my favourite science fiction film ever - didn't step away from the original film that much.

Christ, Riddick became master of the universe at the end - completely separate from the lonely, desperate yet dangerous criminal at the end of the first. Such a departure from the original character role isn't a good thing in my opinion. Even his sense of evil wasn't clear, if existent at all, despite being the selling point of the movie!

Pitch Black was excellent. I love Sci-fi, and it was done very well. I'm also into astronomy and like eclipses and stuff like that.

The two suns of different color were very cool, and it seems that Diesel's older stuff was better.

It was better than Chronicles, IMO. The end of Chronicles was kind of weird, as was the whole movie. And, his girl got killed! :icon_cry:

But, yeah, PB was well made and the monsters were very cool, also.

Hopefully they make a 3rd where they go back to that planet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back