• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pick Your Poison: Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair

Pick Your Poison: Hogan or Flair

• Hulk Hogan

• Ric Flair

Results are only viewable after voting.
It was Wrestlemania 4 I believe we were talking about, and the point I'm making is that WCW didn't steal a bunch of money from McMahon. That was where the whole conversation started in the first place. Someone said the Clash stole millions from Vince, and it's just simply not true.

That's all I'm pointing out.

The Clash probably didn't steal a lot of money from Vince, but if it didn't air that date and time, Wrestlemania 4 would have had more viewers than it did. In one the WCW biographys, it already stated that Vince was irate with Crockett and Turner for airing the Clash against Wrestlemania. And he had some nerve getting irate with Crockett when he started it all. He scheduled the 1st Survivor Series against the annual Starrcade and took their PPV money.

There probably isn't much I can say about who had the biggest impact, but as I was reading through the different posts, it seems that there are equal valid points to both arguments. Granted, Hogan may have made wrestling cool and helped it transcend into bigger things back in the 80's and that is definitely a huge thing, but as many have said Flair had the bigger impact on the actual wrestling side of things. My vote goes to Flair because without him, there would hardly be a wrestling industry as it was Flair who inspired and motivated so many young men and women to become wrestlers. Look at Flair's farewell on Raw after WrestleMania. Many of those men and women in the ring and on the ramp would not have been there if it weren't for Flair. I think I can honestly say that when Flair dies, his legacy wiill continue to transcend time and inspire many more young men and women, but when Hogan dies, his legacy will continue, but nobody will be inspired by him to become a wrestler. Ric Flair all the way.

Personally, I vastly prefer Ric Flair, and I really dislike Hogan. I can't deny though, that Hogan probably did more for wrestling getting into the mainstream more. If anyone in the universe can provide any evidence of Hogan being even a capable wrestler, let alone a better wrestler than Flair, I'd be very interested to see it. I appreciate that alot of people have very fond childhood memories of Hogan, and that's fair enough, but, Flair is a vastly better wrestler IMO.

Personally, I vastly prefer Ric Flair, and I really dislike Hogan. I can't deny though, that Hogan probably did more for wrestling getting into the mainstream more. If anyone in the universe can provide any evidence of Hogan being even a capable wrestler, let alone a better wrestler than Flair, I'd be very interested to see it. I appreciate that alot of people have very fond childhood memories of Hogan, and that's fair enough, but, Flair is a vastly better wrestler IMO.

How about the fact that he drew millions to watch Wrestlemanias 1-8, drew 93,000 along with Andre the Giant to the Silverdome, was the head of not one but two wrestling booms which happen to be two of the biggest drawing era's in wrestling history, was the top face in WWF for years, was the top heel in WCW for years, has made comebacks as late as 2006 and still gotten bigger pops than anyone in WWE today...

...should I keep going?

The Clash probably didn't steal a lot of money from Vince, but if it didn't air that date and time, Wrestlemania 4 would have had more viewers than it did. In one the WCW biographys, it already stated that Vince was irate with Crockett and Turner for airing the Clash against Wrestlemania. And he had some nerve getting irate with Crockett when he started it all. He scheduled the 1st Survivor Series against the annual Starrcade and took their PPV money.
The viewers that don't normally watch ppv or that didn't want to pay money were the ones that watched it. I doubt the wcw show was the main reason that drove these particular wwf fans not to watch the ppv. The wwf fans that did not want to pay money were the ones that watched the wcw show. It wasn't because they would have rather watched the wcw show than wrestlemania, it was because they didn't want to pay for programming. The temptation to watch wcw was not the reason they did not pay, it was because they didn't want to pay period. But since they could not watch mania and wcw was on anyway, then they might as well watch that. Wcw got the wwf's leftovers.

How about the fact that he drew millions to watch Wrestlemanias 1-8, drew 93,000 along with Andre the Giant to the Silverdome, was the head of not one but two wrestling booms which happen to be two of the biggest drawing era's in wrestling history, was the top face in WWF for years, was the top heel in WCW for years, has made comebacks as late as 2006 and still gotten bigger pops than anyone in WWE today...

...should I keep going?

Sorry Slim, but I have to add that Ric Flair beat Hulk Hogan on at least ONE occasion, as far as putting butts in the seats and selling out a show/Pay Per View.

W.C.W. Collision In Korea: Ric Flair v. Antonio Inoki.

To my knowledge, It was the single largest wrestling event, ever held. 340,000 witnessed this live in attendance, and the p.p.v. was headlined by Ric Flair. (albeit losing)

Now in the course of greater good, Hulk Hogan will trumph Ric Flair flatter than a pancake. But when it comes to who's brought a bigger audience to a singular event, Ric Flair dominated and destroyed Hulk Hogan's pansy-ass 93,000 with the monsterous 340,000. (which is more than triple, mind you)

Sorry Slim, but I have to add that Ric Flair beat Hulk Hogan on at least ONE occasion, as far as putting butts in the seats and selling out a show/Pay Per View.

To my knowledge, It was the single largest wrestling event, ever held. 340,000 witnessed this live in attendance, and the p.p.v. was headlined by Ric Flair. (albeit losing)

Now in the course of greater good, Hulk Hogan will trumph Ric Flair flatter than a pancake. But when it comes to who's brought a bigger audience to a singular event, Ric Flair dominated and destroyed Hulk Hogan's pansy-ass 93,000 with the monsterous 340,000. (which is more than triple, mind you)
OH geez, are you kidding me with this nonsense?

Why does everyone use this to try and prove Flair's drawing ability? Do your research Will.

Ric Flair had next to NOTHING to do with drawing that crowd. Hell, he wouldn't have even been there if guys like Hogan, Sting, Savage and company hadn't turned Bischoff down. It was a two day government promoted Peace Festival, which wrestling was far from the only festivity around. It was just another in a string of festivities, in which Koreans were, in many cases, FORCED to attend by the government. There's not a single wrestler who can call that crowd an exercise in their drawing ability, although if there was ONE person who could, it'd be Antonio Inoki, not Ric Flair. But the truth of the matter is that no wrestlers drew that crowd, the government sponsored Peace Festival drew that crowd. I believe Ric Flair himself said in his book that he doubted that many people even knew who he was, due to the governmental control over media and such.

God, what a piss bucket argument, and it amazes me that people actually try to pass that off as a legitimate fact for Flair's drawing ability. I expected better out of you Will.

Also, I DO belive that crowd consisted of 190,000, not 340,000. 340,000 people in one arena, to my knowledge, is impossible :lmao: and it still cant be compared to the magnitude of the Ande Vs Hogan showdown. Becuase the vast majority of wrestling fans probably have never even heard of the match you just sited until this very moment.

Personally I'm gonna start out by saying I flat out HATE Hulk Hogan, I respect what he accomplished and the way he made the business so big and mainstream, but as a wrestler I've only once been entertained watching him (and that was watching Brock tear him apart and F-5 Him), I respect the hell out of Flair and realise at only 22, there's a whole lot of his career that I missed, but from what I saw of the late NWA/Early WCW days Flair worked his a$$ off, Hogan may have had a tougher schedule (I'm not sure he did), but he may have run more towns, but Flair was a man's man. And he did everything he could to help the business (Flair in the nuthouse back in WCW anyone?) Can you imagine Hogan taking such an embarrasing storyline because he loves the business so much? He wouldn't even job to HBK for "insert heavenly body here" sakes!

So back on topic, Flair's the better wrestler, I respect him more, he left a better mark, and left the business in a better position than Hogan, but Hogan's impact was greater.

DAMN!

Both have made great contributions to wrestling, both being huge draws and changing the business.
Im going to go with Ric Flair tho becasue he has a lot more wrestling skill than Hogan.
For starters Rics finisher is a submission move and Hogans a plain old leg drop. Also there is the fact that Hogans skill consists of doing a body slam every match questions how good ability wise he was.

There is no denying tho that Hogans original WWF run was huge and it probly reinvented the business into something more mainstream.

Ric tho was one of the biggest WCW stars comparable to Hogan.

Lets pretend for a second that everything Slyfox said is not true and that this match legitemately drew 340,000 paying fans. How is one match, in Japan, against a Japanese legend proof that Flair drew more than Hogan throughout their careers?

Hogan consistently drew huge crowds throughout his WWF run and in the NWO, whether it was PPV or prime time TV. Flair only drew in the main event when he was against a big name opponent (like Hulk Hogan) or on TBS. Other than that, Flair was never a good national draw. I honestly can't think of any big selling PPV's that sold because Ric was in the Main Event. Hulk Hogan had Mania 1-seven while Flair was doing OK in WCW. Then at Mania VIII, Hogan headlined over Flair depsite WWF building Flair greatly and him being Champion.

Lets pretend for a second that everything Slyfox said is not true and that this match legitemately drew 340,000 paying fans. How is one match, in Japan, against a Japanese legend proof that Flair drew more than Hogan throughout their careers?

Hogan consistently drew huge crowds throughout his WWF run and in the NWO, whether it was PPV or prime time TV. Flair only drew in the main event when he was against a big name opponent (like Hulk Hogan) or on TBS. Other than that, Flair was never a good national draw. I honestly can't think of any big selling PPV's that sold because Ric was in the Main Event. Hulk Hogan had Mania 1-seven while Flair was doing OK in WCW. Then at Mania VIII, Hogan headlined over Flair depsite WWF building Flair greatly and him being Champion.

I don't disagree with the statements said. Furthermore, I've been thinking about what Sly said regarding the Japan-based Pay Per View being a two day event. I think the original crowd may of been half of 340,00 per day.. but they added it up to get that.

I don't believe Ric Flair is a bigger draw than Hulk Hogan as thats an outlandish claim. I was merely stating that according to statistically proven facts, at least on one Pay Per View.

(For Sly)- Regardless of whether the p.p.v. was revolved around Flair, or for every 340,000 there were two guys per one fan, holding guns to their heads forcing them to cheer. The fact is, forced or not, they were there, cheering.. and Flair headlined the show.

YES Hogan in all likelyhood WOULD HAVE been the Main Event guy, if he was there. But he wasn't, so that point should be void.

Furthermore, regarding Wrestlemania VIII & IX, Hogan (from what I've heard and read) only got the Main Event spots (VIII v. Sid Vicious & IX v. Yokozuna) because he was supposedly close to "retiring" each year. So he played politics (which I know will blow a gasket in Sly's head to read) to gain those spots.

Did Hogan deserve them? Most likely. (except IX, that was bullshit and pointless) But to answer the overall question, NO Ric Flair is not, and will never be (obviously) a bigger draw than Hulk Hogan. That doesn't mean, however, that Flair hasn't out-done Hogan on selective stages.

(For Sly)- Regardless of whether the p.p.v. was revolved around Flair, or for every 340,000 there were two guys per one fan, holding guns to their heads forcing them to cheer. The fact is, forced or not, they were there, cheering.. and Flair headlined the show.
:lmao:

What a terrible argument. Yeah, Flair may have been the last match, but he wasn't the main-eventer. Wrestling wasn't the main-event.

Furthermore, regarding Wrestlemania VIII & IX, Hogan (from what I've heard and read) only got the Main Event spots (VIII v. Sid Vicious & IX v. Yokozuna) because he was supposedly close to "retiring" each year. So he played politics (which I know will blow a gasket in Sly's head to read) to gain those spots.
That doesn't even make sense Will.

Hogan had just returned before Wrestlemania 9. If he was going to retire again, why would he win the belt? C'mon Will, think these things through.

And from what I'VE heard and read, Hogan vs. Sid main-evented because Sid was promised a Wrestlemania main-event against Hogan when he signed his contract. That and Hogan was a far bigger draw than Flair or Savage.

:lmao:

What a terrible argument. Yeah, Flair may have been the last match, but he wasn't the main-eventer. Wrestling wasn't the main-event.

That doesn't even make sense Will.

Hogan had just returned before Wrestlemania 9. If he was going to retire again, why would he win the belt? C'mon Will, think these things through.

And from what I'VE heard and read, Hogan vs. Sid main-evented because Sid was promised a Wrestlemania main-event against Hogan when he signed his contract. That and Hogan was a far bigger draw than Flair or Savage.

Hogan was not a far bigger draw than either of them - the reason he got the last match was because Hogan was teasing retirement due to the federal investigation into steroids in WWE. McMahon was sending everyone away including Hogan and Piper. Also, Hogan did not want his match too close to Flair and Savage on the card because he knew their match would be way superior and if he immediately followed them his match would be a dud. Hogan did the same thing at SummerSlam 2006 when he asked that his "legend vs Legend Killer" Match with Randy Orton be bumped to the mid card because he did not think his match would be preceived well if he followed Flair/Foley or the DX/McMahon cage match. He knew his limitations and played to them. That makes him smart but not a great wrestler.

U]Originally Posted by Slim Pickns View Post[/U]

Flair was a huge draw. For most of the 1980's WWF shows were consistently outdrawn by NWA shows headlined by Flair in the Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and The Virginias. Even with McMahon's promotional machine and Hogan on the card WWE shows did not compete with the NWA in those areas.

Second, the highest rated wrestling show on TV for most of the 1980's was was WCW Sat Night on TBS, far out distancing Hogan and company on USA network. Hogan and Andre did do a major rating for their Friday Night Prime Time re-Match but subsequent WWE prime time ventures failed even with Hogan on the card.

Third, Hogan gets a lot of credit for the WWE expansion in the 1980's that he does not deserve. Hogan rarely wrestled more than 6 or 8 shows per month once he became big even though WWE ran house shows at least 6 days per week, plus filmed more than 6 hrs of TV each week (syndication, USA, WWOR). Hogan was an infrequent guest on TV, usually for interviews only and was not a factor in house shows. Living in Pittsburgh, a core WWE city since their inception in the earky 60's, I remember WWE shows nearly every month in the mid to late 80's. Hogan rarely appeared. In 1991 Hogan wrestled here one time (against Flair) and that was it. Flair on the other hand was on TV and doing house shows 5-6 times per week. WWE had a great promotional approach courtesy of Vince McMahon that enabled them to be make superstars and be popular even though Hogan was not not around that much. Flair on the other hand was the most visible main event star during the NWA's heyday early to mid 80's and appeared on virtually all of their TV programing weekly.

Fourth, Hogan rarelty wrestled during the NWO heyday either, even less than he did during his Hulkamania days a decade earlier. In 1998, WCW did PPV events every month. How many times did Hogan wrestle, maybe 4 ? He faced Jay Leno, particiapted in a War Games, fought Ultimate Warrior, and had a re-match with Sting. WCW did big business all year with Hogan basically participating in about a third of their shows. Kevin Nash was the public face of the NWO and he and Scott Hall did the bulk of the matches against the WCW roster along with Savage. In 1997, WCW's biggest year during the NWO storyline, how many time did Hogan wrestle on TV ? Did ever wrestle on TV that year ? The only time I remember him actually wrestling on Nitro in 97 was when he lost to Lex Luger that year. In 1998 other than facing the Giant how many times did he wrestle on TV? Remember when Hogan, upset about the arival of Brett Hart in WCW, purposely sat out the January Souled Out PPV allowing Flair/Hart and Luger/Savage to be the main drws in the hopes it would tank against Feb SuperBrawl PPV when he would return for his re-match with Sting ? Remember how the two shows drew near identical buy rates even neither Flair, Hart, Savage, or Luger had a title on th eline at Souled Out and that show competed against WWE's Royal Rumble for business that month (WWE did not offer as strong competition in Feb to SuperBrawl)When business started to decline after the spring of 99 Hogan did wrestle on TV more often, although it didn't generate the numbers he would have liked. Nitro won the ratings 83 consecutive weeks and Hogan probably wrestled on maybe a tenth of those shows. Certainly he was not a factor in WCW's PPV growth during that time since he only appeared in about a fourth of those. I wonder how may RAW PPV's will be held this year with a healthy HHH and John Cena just chosing not to wrestle ?

No doubt Hogan has been successful. However, ppl can't take away from the role Vince McMahon's promotional genius played in the WWE expansion. PPl cetainly can't place the lions share of credit for WCW's success with the NWO on Hogan since he wasn't wrestling that much. That would be like saying Flair made Evolution big, he certainly helped but since he rarely wrestled any matches during that time you can't give him more credit than HHH or Batista or even Orton, they fought almost all the matches.

Hogan is clearly the best at protecting his image, but Flair was the more influential wrestler by far. I don't fault Hogan, wrestling is a tough business and he did well with limited abilities. There are no pensions to fal back on or unions backing your play so you have to manipulate mgt and take care of yourself the best you can. Hogan was a genius at this. Flair's character and performances have made him, not Hogan, the guy today's stars look up to and emulate. Nobody ever compares The Rock, HHH, HBK, or Y2J to Hogan. The fact that Flair earned a reputation for being more of a company guy than Hogan has cemented his status with his peers. Still, as a business man Hogan is terrific, kinda like HHH but with less in ring ability. Flair was the bigger wrestler, his influence is far wider on today's product.

Hogan was not a far bigger draw than either of them
Yes he was. It's not really debatable.

the reason he got the last match was because Hogan was teasing retirement due to the federal investigation into steroids in WWE. McMahon was sending everyone away including Hogan and Piper.
Source?

Also, Hogan did not want his match too close to Flair and Savage on the card because he knew their match would be way superior and if he immediately followed them his match would be a dud.
Source?

Hogan did the same thing at SummerSlam 2006 when he asked that his "legend vs Legend Killer" Match with Randy Orton be bumped to the mid card because he did not think his match would be preceived well if he followed Flair/Foley or the DX/McMahon cage match.
Source?

He knew his limitations and played to them. That makes him smart but not a great wrestler.
Source?

You make all these statements, but mostly you are talking out of your ass.

When you have multiple main-events, many times promoters WILL NOT put them back to back. Why? Because you tire out a crowd. That's why at the last few WM's, one title match would happen, then a filler match, and then another main-event. It has nothing to do with Hogan's ego or anything like that, it has to do with good booking. Take, for example, Wrestlemania 7, Savage vs. Warrior. That was one of the biggest promoted matches on the card. However, look where it was placed. Before an IC title match, and a bunch of squash matches. Why? Because you separate your main-events.

You're basically talking out of your ass. Vince McMahon has shown consistently that he will not put main-events back to back, regardless of who is in them. If you can show one iota of proof that anything you said was anything more than blind love for Flair, then maybe I will take your argument seriously.

Flair was a huge draw. For most of the 1980's WWF shows were consistently outdrawn by NWA shows headlined by Flair in the Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and The Virginias. Even with McMahon's promotional machine and Hogan on the card WWE shows did not compete with the NWA in those areas.
OOOOH.

The NWA, which used Ric Flair to work matches against the regional top draw, outdid the WWF in 7 out of 48 states. Well, maybe we should re-think this here. :lmao:

Hell, Ric Flair was the biggest draw in the NWA. Nobody is denying that. But being the biggest draw in the NWA is like being the biggest draw in ROH right now. Still doesn't mean anything. And when you figure that Ric Flair never worked consistently on a national scale, or in one place, AND was always wrestling a promotion's top draw, I think it kind of makes sense that he would be the big NWA draw. I mean, he got to face every promotions best draw.

Second, the highest rated wrestling show on TV for most of the 1980's was was WCW Sat Night on TBS, far out distancing Hogan and company on USA network. Hogan and Andre did do a major rating for their Friday Night Prime Time re-Match but subsequent WWE prime time ventures failed even with Hogan on the card.
Not a single WCW Sat Night came close to competing with Saturday Night Main Event. Of which, Hogan was on the majority of those.

Third, Hogan gets a lot of credit for the WWE expansion in the 1980's that he does not deserve.
You're kidding me with this right? Hulk Hogan WAS wrestling in the 1980s. I mean, not just the WWF, WRESTLING. Hulk Hogan was as synonymous with wrestling in the 1980s and Kleenex is to tissue wipes.

Hogan rarely wrestled more than 6 or 8 shows per month once he became big even though WWE ran house shows at least 6 days per week, plus filmed more than 6 hrs of TV each week (syndication, USA, WWOR).
Could you explain what years you are referring to when you say "became big"?

Hogan was an infrequent guest on TV, usually for interviews only
And was the only wrestler to do so in front of a national audience.

and was not a factor in house shows.
His name brought recognition to the WWF. You hear WWF, you think Hulk Hogan, you think greatness. That translates into ticket sales.

Flair on the other hand was on TV and doing house shows 5-6 times per week. WWE had a great promotional approach courtesy of Vince McMahon that enabled them to be make superstars and be popular even though Hogan was not not around that much. Flair on the other hand was the most visible main event star during the NWA's heyday early to mid 80's and appeared on virtually all of their TV programing weekly.
Their programming was regional programming. WCW Sat Night did not feature Flair regularly until the late 80s if I'm not mistaken. And tell me, once Flair was on TV to a wider audience consistently, what happened to him? His drawing power decreased, fans got tired of him, and he wasn't as effective. Go figure.

Then he went to the WWF in late '91. How well did he do there? Was he a big draw? Or did he flop? Yeah, I'm going with a flop. WWF was a nationally broadcasted program. Are you starting to see the similarities?

Fourth, Hogan rarelty wrestled during the NWO heyday either, even less than he did during his Hulkamania days a decade earlier. In 1998, WCW did PPV events every month. How many times did Hogan wrestle, maybe 4 ? He faced Jay Leno, particiapted in a War Games, fought Ultimate Warrior, and had a re-match with Sting. WCW did big business all year with Hogan basically participating in about a third of their shows. Kevin Nash was the public face of the NWO and he and Scott Hall did the bulk of the matches against the WCW roster along with Savage. In 1997, WCW's biggest year during the NWO storyline, how many time did Hogan wrestle on TV ? Did ever wrestle on TV that year ? The only time I remember him actually wrestling on Nitro in 97 was when he lost to Lex Luger that year.
Well, duh? Why would you have your biggest draw wrestle on free TV, when you want to get fans to pay for it? That's stupid. But, was Hogan not on the majority of Nitros, both in 96 and 97? Umm, yeah. Was he their biggest draw? Umm, yeah.

Now, let's go through the PPVs. Did he wrestle on 5 of the last 6 PPVs of 1996? Umm, yeah. Was his match the big draw? Umm, yeah. Was the WCW title considered the most important thing in wrestling? Umm, yeah.

On to 1997. Did he appear in the first 3 PPVs of the year? Umm, yeah. Did he still appear on 8 PPVs that year? Umm, yeah. Was his feud with Sting the biggest drawing angle of the 1990s to that point? Umm, yeah.

On to 1998. Did he appear in 8 of the first 10 PPVs of the year? Umm, yeah. Was his feud with Sting driving Nitro for the first two months of the year? Umm, yeah. Was his celebrity matches not the focus of WCW in 98? Umm, yeah.

So, basically, what we've determined is that you're just making stuff up to suit your case.

In 1998 other than facing the Giant how many times did he wrestle on TV? Remember when Hogan, upset about the arival of Brett Hart in WCW, purposely sat out the January Souled Out PPV allowing Flair/Hart and Luger/Savage to be the main drws in the hopes it would tank against Feb SuperBrawl PPV when he would return for his re-match with Sting ?
Source?

When business started to decline after the spring of 99 Hogan did wrestle on TV more often, although it didn't generate the numbers he would have liked. Nitro won the ratings 83 consecutive weeks and Hogan probably wrestled on maybe a tenth of those shows. Certainly he was not a factor in WCW's PPV growth during that time since he only appeared in about a fourth of those. I wonder how may RAW PPV's will be held this year with a healthy HHH and John Cena just chosing not to wrestle ?
I love how you make up information, just so you can make a case. I've already shown how he wrestled on most of the PPVs. And I've already explained why you don't have your champion wrestle on free TV. However, was Hogan not on TV most of the time? Of course he was. Was he not the big draw to WCW? Of course he was.

And when Hogan was taking WCW from a company losing $5 million a year to a company making $300 million (Controversy Creates Cash) a year, where was Ric Flair?

No doubt Hogan has been successful. However, ppl can't take away from the role Vince McMahon's promotional genius played in the WWE expansion. PPl cetainly can't place the lions share of credit for WCW's success with the NWO on Hogan since he wasn't wrestling that much. That would be like saying Flair made Evolution big, he certainly helped but since he rarely wrestled any matches during that time you can't give him more credit than HHH or Batista or even Orton, they fought almost all the matches.
Oh, so because he didn't wrestle in matches every week, he cannot be a draw?

Are you telling me, then, that the Undertaker is not a big draw for the WWE? Because, how often do you see him wrestle for free? Obviously, the Undertaker cannot be a factor in the WWE's success, because he doesn't wrestle on free TV very often. Your position is ludicrous, and reeks of desperation.

Hogan is clearly the best at protecting his image, but Flair was the more influential wrestler by far. I don't fault Hogan, wrestling is a tough business and he did well with limited abilities. There are no pensions to fal back on or unions backing your play so you have to manipulate mgt and take care of yourself the best you can. Hogan was a genius at this. Flair's character and performances have made him, not Hogan, the guy today's stars look up to and emulate. Nobody ever compares The Rock, HHH, HBK, or Y2J to Hogan. The fact that Flair earned a reputation for being more of a company guy than Hogan has cemented his status with his peers. Still, as a business man Hogan is terrific, kinda like HHH but with less in ring ability. Flair was the bigger wrestler, his influence is far wider on today's product.
I don't even know what to say to such blatant bias.

The wrestlers who are actively participating in the WWE today have Hogan to thank for making the WWF such a household name. Those wrestlers like Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, etc. all have Hulk Hogan to thank for making WCW big enough to afford to hire them and give them national TV jobs.

The simple fact is, had not the WWF hired Flair back in 02, and had he not been such great friends with Triple H (if you want to talk politics, let's talk about how Flair became so buddy buddy with such an influential member backstage. My, how convenient it is that Flair became friends with the husband of the bosses daughter. But, no, politics had nothing to do with that, right?), then Ric Flair would have been left as a minor memory in the course of professional wrestling. You talk about the promotional machine that the WWE is, there is no better place to look first than to see what the WWE has done for Ric Flair. They took a man who was of minor importance from 1990 on, and made fans think he was actually this huge superstar. You want to talk about promotion, let's start with Ric Flair.

If we want to go by who draws more, it is Hogan. Lets compare ratings, Hogan comes back, the rating jumps up big. If Flair was to come back, we might see a small jump.

Hogan has sold out arenas for a majority of his career. Flair, he has sold out many arenas, but not as many.

Hogan is known to the non wrestling fan, you mention Flair, it is doubtful they would know who he is.

Who made WCW a household name? Who made the WWF a household name? Hogan

Hogan was not the best wrestler ever, but he was a great entertainer, and he still sells a lot of merchandise.

If we want to go by who draws more, it is Hogan. Lets compare ratings, Hogan comes back, the rating jumps up big. If Flair was to come back, we might see a small jump.

Hogan has sold out arenas for a majority of his career. Flair, he has sold out many arenas, but not as many.

Hogan is known to the non wrestling fan, you mention Flair, it is doubtful they would know who he is.

Who made WCW a household name? Who made the WWF a household name? Hogan

Hogan was not the best wrestler ever, but he was a great entertainer, and he still sells a lot of merchandise.

Hogan may have made WCW more "visible" But if you ask any hardcore WCW or any hardcore wrestling fan, when you mention the letters "WCW" they are automatically will mention Ric Flair. I am not doubting Hogan's ability to draw, but he cannot take the name of WCW to his credit. Remember, he was booed big time in the Carolinas while he was still a face.

Hogan may have made WCW more "visible" But if you ask any hardcore WCW or any hardcore wrestling fan, when you mention the letters "WCW" they are automatically will mention Ric Flair. I am not doubting Hogan's ability to draw, but he cannot take the name of WCW to his credit. Remember, he was booed big time in the Carolinas while he was still a face.
HAHA

Any hardcore WCW fan will say Sting or Hogan or Goldberg. Ric Flair did fuck all for WCW. Ric Flair made his name in various NWA promotions, primarily Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. And yes, I'm aware that Turner bought Crockett out, and thus changed the promotion to WCW, but the WCW promotion officially started in 1988. From 1988 until 2001, Ric Flair was not WCW. That honor, like I said before, belongs to Sting, Hogan or Goldberg. Sting due to his never leaving, Hogan due to his taking the company and making it profitable, or even Goldberg who was the last great draw of the company. WCW itself drew pitifully until about 1994 or 1995. By that time, Ric Flair had long since been replaced as the top dog.

Ric Flair is as much to WCW as Bill Goldberg was to WWE.

This is proof that Flair fans will try to blow up any little obscure detail into a pro Ric argument. Hogan was booed in Flairs hometown, big deal. Faces get booed all the time when wrestling in a heels hometown, it doesn't make them better. Also, how many hardcore WCW fans have you asked? All of them? What makes them a hardcore fan? This is perhaps the worst Flair argument yet.

The fact of the matter is WCW was losing money and only staying alive because Ted Turner had money to burn. Then, when Hulk Hogan (wrestling's biggest draw) came in WCW not only turned profit, but started wooping WWF's ass for nearly two years straight. Hulk Hogan can definately take WWF's, WCW's, and most of wrestling in the states' name to his credit.

This is proof that Flair fans will try to blow up any little obscure detail into a pro Ric argument. Hogan was booed in Flairs hometown, big deal. Faces get booed all the time when wrestling in a heels hometown, it doesn't make them better. Also, how many hardcore WCW fans have you asked? All of them? What makes them a hardcore fan? This is perhaps the worst Flair argument yet.

The fact of the matter is WCW was losing money and only staying alive because Ted Turner had money to burn. Then, when Hulk Hogan (wrestling's biggest draw) came in WCW not only turned profit, but started wooping WWF's ass for nearly two years straight. Hulk Hogan can definately take WWF's, WCW's, and most of wrestling in the states' name to his credit.

I am not doubting Hogan's affect on WCW. I am just saying Flair was to WCW than you realize in the 90s. Goldberg didn't have a passion for the business. Sting as good as a draw he was, always took a backseat to Hogan, Flair, or even Goldberg. Goldberg doesn't have a legacy, Flair does.

Well, how come when Flair got fired from WCW in 1991, fans started chanting, "We want Flair!" in all of the cities WCW went to?
How come when he came back, WCW still drew peanuts? How come when Hulk Hogan got there, in three years, he had created another wrestling boom period, and was the reason WCW was pulling in more profit than they had done from 1988-1994 combined?

Goldberg doesn't have a legacy, Flair does.
Yeah, in the NWA, not in WCW.

Well, the NWA was around way longer than WCW was, pal.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. Unfortunately for you, however, we're not talking about NWA, we're talking about WCW. So whatever Flair did in the various NWA promotions, really means nothing when discussing his name as synonymous with WCW.

And a majority of Flair fans know him from the NWA and Crockett, not WCW.
Then why would anyone say Flair was WCW, like you did just a few posts ago?

Also, people got tired of Hogan in the WWF in 1993, so he was a mid carder by then.
Yeah...a midcarder who won the WWF title at Wrestlemania 9. Some midcarder.

Well, the NWA was around way longer than WCW was, pal.
The NWA did not put wrestling on the map. Most non-wrestling fans do not even know what the nwa is because they have never heard of it. It certainly wasn't the reason I became a wrestling fan.
he was booed big time in the Carolinas while he was still a face.
This is further proof of how big of an impact Hogan made everywhere he went, whether that be negative or positive.
Yeah...a midcarder who won the WWF title at Wrestlemania 9. Some midcarder.
lol!

You people are so f*ucking ignorant and stupid! And might I add young and wet behind the ears! Maybe non-wrestling fans don't know what the NWA is, and maybe it didn't make you becaome a wrestling fan, but if it wasn't for the NWA, there would be no WWE, and Hulk Hogan wouldn't be this megastar!
You're kidding right? Capital Wrestling in the 50s controlled most of the NWA. Heck, the whole reason the WWWF broke away from the NWA was because the rest of the NWA was upset that the NWA champion Buddy Rogers wouldn't leave the northeast part of America (which was Capital Wrestling's territory). They wanted Rogers to drop the belt, Capital Wrestling wanted Rogers to keep the belt. Rogers was forced to drop the belt to get his deposit money back, and Capital Wrestling then broke away from the NWA, and formed the WWWF.

Capital Wrestling controlled the NWA for the majority of the time they were apart of it, and left because the other NWA promotions all had to gang together to wrest control away, because individually they were too weak to do so. If you want to talk ignorance, let's start there.

Then,with guys like Buddy Rogers and Bruno Sammartino, the WWWF/WWF became one of the most profitable wrestling companies in the country. They were as successful as the NWA, and probably more so than any one particular promotion.

Then we get to the 1980s, Hulkamania, and from there the WWF buried the NWA six feet under, especially when WCW broke away from the NWA. Since those two things happened, the NWA became an official joke.

Don't make up stories.

And he was booed in the Carolinas because that was one area where he didn't have a fan base, you fool!
If he didn't have a fan base, then shouldn't the fans have not reacted at all to him? I mean, doesn't the fact that fans booed him show just how much they still cared about him? Do you ever hear anyone boo Charlie Haas? Or cheer him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back